New Dom solo help

Khan668

25 minutes ago, subbacultchas said:

I'm struggling dealing with a family member that passed over the weekend. I should not have responded and I know this.

Sorry to hear about this....my prayers are with you.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I actually need help too with a couple of Doms I created. Right now the kill speed is so slow compared to everything else. Is there anything else I can do to speed this up? It be nice if the pets came at level 1 instead of 32 to make this class more desirable.

Doms start off slowly for a class that should have relatively high damage, because you have to put slots into both attacks for damage... and attacks for mezzing. So while other ATs need End/Res or End/Def plus attacks, Dominators need Acc/End/Rech/Mez slotting, which eats up more slots. So while their attacks are good statistically... slotting is a problem early on.

22 hours ago, Coyote said:

Doms start off slowly for a class that should have relatively high damage, because you have to put slots into both attacks for damage... and attacks for mezzing. So while other ATs need End/Res or End/Def plus attacks, Dominators need Acc/End/Rech/Mez slotting, which eats up more slots. So while their attacks are good statistically... slotting is a problem early on.

IMO, that's suboptimal. Slot for accuracy, damage, and endurance reduction for your single target hold and your blasts. At low levels and low difficulty, killing stuff fast is far more efficient than worrying about stacking magnitude or stuff that has late-game relevance. Until you reach level 25 or so, your basic controls are really better treated as blasts with a strong secondary effect than control powers with a side of damage. For example, Power Bolt (the first blast from /NRG) has 52.83 base damage. Gravity Distortion (the ST hold from Grav/) has 58.11 base damage. Sure, Power Bolt is cheaper, but at low level, you're limited by your green bar as much as your blue bar.

• 2 weeks later
On 7/27/2019 at 10:19 PM, Riverdusk said:

Probably the most "noob" friendly set is plant control.  Seeds of confusion that you get at the low level of 8 is a game changer.  I'd suggest giving that one a try.  Secondary almost doesn't matter.

This. You get seeds early and it's very effective when you get it and remains a good power all the way to 50. It's more reliable than the AoE holds that sets get around the same time since it recharges faster and works OK without a ton of slotting and enhancing. You want to slot and enhance it as you level up but unlike some powers it's pretty useful out of the box. It makes opening against a group much easier.