Proc Monsters - The New Offender

Sir Myshkin

• 2 months later

Just wanted to state that I used information from the Time/Rad as a template for my new Speeder build. At 36, I'm defense capped to everything with Farsight 4-slotted, Weave 1-slotted, and Power Build Up. 2 Recharges in PBU and Hasten mean that it's practically perma-Farsight. I do decent enough damage soloing, contribute more to teams than just heals (although I can heal well), and am pretty survivable for a squishy with all the heals and capped defense. 

Funny thing is, Time Stop might be my most potent attack!

I've been following this thread for a year.  A recent project had me digging deeply into some profoundly unpopular builds, and many of them were defenders.  A few things I've learned on the trip re: procs and defenders:

1.  Generally, the secondary has one or two powers that really shine with procs, but a lot that don't.  For Assault Rifle, for example, Flamethrower becomes a beast pretty early on.

2.  Some procs just need to be in every power they'll fit.  Force Feedback +rech, Annihilation -res, and especially the Overwhelming Force proc.  That last one just transforms "meh" powers into something that is frequently hysterically amusing.  

Who run Bartertown?

Favorite defender from Project Misfit Toys?  I need to get them all higher on their way to 50 (all 36-43 right now) to get more slots for their powers, but my Trick Arrow/Electrical Blast/Soul is my “current” favorite.  I have a good theme for her, and I figure that three procced out single target holds will be a lot of her damage output at the end of the day.  She’s a ridiculous amount of fun; I’m really loving TA.  Least favorite is easily Sonic Resonance/Assault Rifle.  There is a reason no one has ever taken one of these to 50.  Two crummy sets that do almost nothing to complement each other, although there are a few bright spots.

Favorite proc?  Again, I must promote Overwhelming Force.  If you don’t use this, somewhere, anywhere, you are lacking a sense of humor.  There’s more flopping than at an Italian soccer match.  I *believe* that since this has a set chance to proc, you get good mileage even putting it in powers that would not traditionally work well with profs.

• Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

22 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Favorite proc?  Again, I must promote Overwhelming Force.  If you don’t use this, somewhere, anywhere, you are lacking a sense of humor.  There’s more flopping than at an Italian soccer match.  I *believe* that since this has a set chance to proc, you get good mileage even putting it in powers that would not traditionally work well with profs.

It might not the best use for the proc or set, but I like to drop this into the crappy cone that so many blast sets get early on.  Knocking down a chunk of your opponents is always entertaining, & -KB protection as a set bonus is welcome on squishies & certain armors.  The set might not make the final level 50 build, but it makes the ride along the way more fun.

• Like 1

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

On 9/2/2020 at 4:09 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

I *believe* that since this has a set chance to proc, you get good mileage even putting it in powers that would not traditionally work well with profs.

+26.50 % Damage Enhancement

+Converts existing KB into KD based off percent scale

+Adds chance to proc KD (I think it's 2PPM, but I don't know what I did with my cheat sheet to verify it)

That one Unique actually does a tremendous amount. I don't always have room for it, but it is an excellent add to AoE/Cones to spread crowd control for sets lacking utility.

On 8/31/2020 at 12:47 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

2.  Some procs just need to be in every power they'll fit.  Force Feedback +rech, Annihilation -res, and especially the Overwhelming Force proc.  That last one just transforms "meh" powers into something that is frequently hysterically amusing.  

Word on the street is that an opponent can only have one source of -res applied to it at a time, so unless the proc chances (from all the powers being used) are low-ish, you wouldn't necessarily be getting as much out of multiple Annihilation procs (aside from set bonuses, I suppose).

I often wish I could use the Overwhelming Force KB->KD piece in more than one power.

32 minutes ago, tidge said:

Word on the street is that an opponent can only have one source of -res applied to it at a time, so unless the proc chances (from all the powers being used) are low-ish, you wouldn't necessarily be getting as much out of multiple Annihilation procs (aside from set bonuses, I suppose).

Hmm, I had thought that -res didn't stack from the same source (meaning that you can't get multiple annihilation -res) but that it did stack from different sources (annihilation -res, achilles heel -res) but I admit I've never actually tested it.  

Paging @Bopper, @SirMyshkin!

@Bopper  @Sir Myshkin

Edited by Yomo Kimyata

Who run Bartertown?

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Hmm, I had thought that -res didn't stack from the same source (meaning that you can't get multiple annihilation -res) but that it did stack from different sources (annihilation -res, achilles heel -res) but I admit I've never actually tested it. 

Correct, you won't get them to stack from the same source, they will only refresh, but you can have multiple -Res effects going that are from different abilities/procs/etc. So Annihilation, Achilles', and FotG -Res procs can all impact debuff on the same target.

An additional foot note to clarify based on what @tidge said is that those procs technically become "sourced" from the target itself, so you cannot get multiple stacks of any one of those on a single target in the game (like two or more Achilles' going at the same time). This is where those procs become slightly inefficient from a grand-scheme of things when multiple players carry them. Each following trigger will only refresh the duration while its up.

Edit to add: Also... a bit to Tidge's point, having multiple of a given -Res proc in the same character build may not--generally speaking--be worth the inclusion. There are very few circumstances I've seen where consistency of having a second one has made a worthwhile addition into a build. Whether it be something like a proc in a toggle, plus an attack, or having the same one in two different AoE/Cone abilities for better saturation across a group.

Edited by Sir Myshkin
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sir Myshkin said:

An additional foot note to clarify based on what @tidge said is that those procs technically become "sourced" from the target itself, so you cannot get multiple stacks of any one of those on a single target in the game (like two or more Achilles' going at the same time). This is where those procs become slightly inefficient from a grand-scheme of things when multiple players carry them. Each following trigger will only refresh the duration while its up.

Edit to add: Also... a bit to Tidge's point, having multiple of a given -Res proc in the same character build may not--generally speaking--be worth the inclusion. There are very few circumstances I've seen where consistency of having a second one has made a worthwhile addition into a build. Whether it be something like a proc in a toggle, plus an attack, or having the same one in two different AoE/Cone abilities for better saturation across a group.

Awesome, thank you!

As to your first point, I'm certainly not going to optimize my character based on the potential procs my teammates might have -- this game is easy enough without that min maxing!

And the second, I've thought about that.  If I'm running an AoE-heavy build, I'll definitely put more than one Annihilation -res (for example) in my attack chain.  Let's say I have three identical procs in an attack chain that each have a 50% chance to trigger on a given mob (optimistic).  My second worst case scenario is that all three (or 2 of three) trigger on each mob and it just gets reset.  My worst case scenario is that all three fail to trigger which will happen 1 out of 8 times.  As long as my damage on each attack is at or above ED levels, my accuracy is enough to hit 95%, and my endurance cost is reasonable, I'd take 87.5% chance for a trigger in a cycle over a 50% chance for a trigger plus another chance for a damage proc.  Also, if triggered, -res helps everyone else on my team.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

15 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

Just to further demonstrate how simple-minded I can be on the topic of -Res from single (IO set, specifically Annihilation) sources: Once I have a semi-reliable %proc for the -Res, I generally feel that rather than slotting the same proc in another similar power is inferior to making a different choice for that slot (if procs are your thing, there are plenty of other Targeted AoE proc choices), or just moving the slot somewhere else.  If I can add a different -Res proc (with reliable chances) to a second power that will be considered.

The considerations for teammates are good ones, especially if you are not playing a high-DPS class and can affect multiple mobs at once.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 6:31 PM, Sir Myshkin said:

An additional foot note to clarify based on what @tidge said is that those procs technically become "sourced" from the target itself, so you cannot get multiple stacks of any one of those on a single target in the game (like two or more Achilles' going at the same time).

An interesting note in regards this is that I believe they are not affected by the purple patch from what I read long ago, i.e. a level 54 AV still gets the full -20% res from an Achilles, because they are not +4 to themselves, and they are "casting" it on themself.  

22 minutes ago, Scientist said:

An interesting note in regards this is that I believe they are not affected by the purple patch from what I read long ago, i.e. a level 54 AV still gets the full -20% res from an Achilles, because they are not +4 to themselves, and they are "casting" it on themself.  

This information is not correct.

• 2 months later
25 minutes ago, Force Redux said:

@Sir Myshkin Summoning the proc gods...can you put a Bombardment %Fire Proc in Oil Slick and have it self-ignite?

There are two stages to Oil Slick, the KD portion that packs -Def, and the ignited portion which deals damage. The second, ignited phase is what takes damage enhancements and don’t trigger until after it lights, so in that regard no it couldn’t self-ignite no matter which way you look at it.

The slick itself is ignited from both fire and energy/negative sources, so anything carrying a proc of that nature has a chance for setting the slick off, but it has to be targeted directly, or fall within an AoE field’s effect to do so.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sir Myshkin said:

There are two stages to Oil Slick, the KD portion that packs -Def, and the ignited portion which deals damage. The second, ignited phase is what takes damage enhancements and don’t trigger until after it lights, so in that regard no it couldn’t self-ignite no matter which way you look at it.

The slick itself is ignited from both fire and energy/negative sources, so anything carrying a proc of that nature has a chance for setting the slick off, but it has to be targeted directly, or fall within an AoE field’s effect to do so.

Ty much! I guess I'll stick to my fire procs in TT and NF 🙂

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

• 2 weeks later
12 hours ago, Falsey said:

Any Storm/Nrg or /Dark builds lying around?

The Storm/Energy lives in my “Mad King” thread (although I’m sure it was posted somewhere in this one at some point, it’s hot linked in the other), which is in my Signature (or found in the Blaster AT section).

• Thanks 1

Mad King, as a master Proccer I was looking at your Assault Rifle build. I was wondering if Procs could be moved to Mastermind to punch with. 

Can you proc out the Fighting Pool to do decent Single Target? Would that be possible on a defender?

Dont the fast animations and low cooldowns ruin that plan?

Edited by DoctorBorris

On 12/25/2020 at 12:10 AM, DoctorBorris said:

Can you proc out the Fighting Pool to do decent Single Target? Would that be possible on a defender?

Yes. In fact I added a post back in May about such a thing. I worked together a very special project build that primarily used the Fighting Pool as its attack set and it worked perfectly fine and was capable of taking down an even con AV solo.

Since you mentioned MM, I’m certain the tactic would work on them as well. Take a look at the linked reply, the build there should easily translate to a MM.

On 12/25/2020 at 12:10 AM, DoctorBorris said:

Dont the fast animations and low cooldowns ruin that plan?

No. The proc chances do get pretty low, but when you saturate the attacks with 3-4 procs and constantly fire them off you’re bound to get an average performance of at least one proc each attack on average, and any damage is good damage.

• 7 months later

So, maybe a stupid question, but have procs changed considerably since these builds were theorycrafted?

Dying to try a Storm/? Defender, leaning towards the Storm/Dark suggested in the updated builds as a starting point. Trying out this proc madness sounds very fun, but I want to make sure things haven't changed dramatically in the intervening year. 

Particularly interested in seeing how effective this is at soloing AVs, since it seems like it'll be a blast in teams.

9 hours ago, Dinlek said:

So, maybe a stupid question, but have procs changed considerably since these builds were theorycrafted?

Dying to try a Storm/? Defender, leaning towards the Storm/Dark suggested in the updated builds as a starting point. Trying out this proc madness sounds very fun, but I want to make sure things haven't changed dramatically in the intervening year. 

Particularly interested in seeing how effective this is at soloing AVs, since it seems like it'll be a blast in teams.

To the best of my knowledge there's been no overall changes to procs or to individual procs that I'm aware of.

• 5 months later
On 12/28/2020 at 1:56 AM, Sir Myshkin said:

Yes.

So I just finished unlocking incarnates on my Ta/A defender and I am absolutely loving him.

I'm going to build him following your proc guidelines. Two questions for you:

1) is the latest build you posted for TA/A your best or most current build for the toon?

2) If i wanted to take hover/fly over superspeed and cap ranged defenses, how would you suggest I go about making these changes while keeping mostly the same everywhere else?