Restore Hatched Kraken XP (Abandoned Sewer Trial)

Way back in the day, Hatched Kraken in the Abandoned Sewer Trial used to give a lot of XP. So much so, in fact, that powerlevelers took to "farming" the trial—killing the 6 Kraken without completing the trial itself. The Devs didn't like this, so the XP of the Hatched Kraken was nerfed to where it's actually less than a Rikti boss gives.

In the here and now, people have a lot better ways of powerleveling than going into the middle of the abandoned sewers to kill six monsters, so even if they did offer a good chunk of XP it seems unlikely people would have the urge to farm the trial any longer—not when they can just go live in AE for a while instead.

But on the other hand, if they did offer that good chunk of XP again, it might just get more people interested in running the trial. I've hardly seen anyone but me doing one, since I've been back. It would be nice to make it a little more attractive to people, given how challenging it is overall.

What do you think?

• Like 1

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

• 4 weeks later

I would definitely sign this. Nothing worse than spending time killing something and getting a crap reward. Especially for something people hardly run anymore, and would be cool to see it more popular to excite people who do DFBs realizing there is a real higher level version of it.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 8:06 PM, Robotech_Master said:

Way back in the day, Hatched Kraken in the Abandoned Sewer Trial used to give a lot of XP. So much so, in fact, that powerlevelers took to "farming" the trial—killing the 6 Kraken without completing the trial itself. The Devs didn't like this, so the XP of the Hatched Kraken was nerfed to where it's actually less than a Rikti boss gives.

The way to fix this is to special-case the XP that the Kraken used to give as a mission-completion bonus, so you can farm the trial to get boss-level XP for them, or complete the mission and turn it in to get the full XP. I'm pretty sure that there are missions that award XP and/or drops when you talk to the contact after completing the mission, so the mechanism should already be in the game.

• 1 year later
  • 4 weeks later