Just an observation on how cheap this market is.

Murcielago

On 10/18/2019 at 8:11 PM, SmalltalkJava said:

I hope the economy doesn’t sky rocket like live.   If it does then I’ll have to quit.    I’m not a fan of economy games.    Just don’t want to have to play the market to buy the IOS I want. 

The economy isn't going to skyrocket without people essentially using unfair market practices and that is MUCH harder to do now than it used to be. With converters, you would have to corner the market on a whole set, not just one really important recipe, and even then enough converters and you'll get what you want out of something else. I think if it got bad enough, the devs would intervene. This is no longer a for profit game, and there is no incentive for anyone to allow it to be run like one. But also, like, as a farmer we arent listing our stuff super high either. I list all purples for the highest price I see on the history and have done with it. It always gets bought within a few hours. Purple prices are hovering between 10 and 15 million for most, with some rares being 18-20. Thats not terrible and we're never going to see people pay a billion influence for anything here, no one wants to spend that much time playing our free vacation back to the 2000s. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later
On 10/20/2019 at 4:06 PM, TheSpiritFox said:

The economy isn't going to skyrocket without people essentially using unfair market practices and that is MUCH harder to do now than it used to be. With converters, you would have to corner the market on a whole set, not just one really important recipe, and even then enough converters and you'll get what you want out of something else. 

It wouldn't even be possible to corner the market on a whole set, many of the "converter lottery" people are just converting within a category, like purples or defense IOs or orange rarity, so they are generating all kinds of sets as they go.  The profitable ones get sold, otherwise hit another convert.  The only things I think might even be possible to corner now are things which can't be produced this way, like Hami-Os or ATOs, and even those I suspect would be tough to keep cornered for very long.  

I've watched prices creep upwards the last few months, back in May and June very few things were more than 1 million per IO and premium stuff like Miracle, Numina, LOTG 7.5%, Gladiator's Armor and the like were running in the 4-6 million range.  As the player base gets more solvent prices are naturally starting to rise.

I haven't gone shopping for a character in a month or so but the last build I did I noticed many things were going above 2 million and the premium ones were bringing closer to 9 million.  I'd expect to see this continue but it won't get to the insanity level we had on Live in the late game due to the greater availability of all drops, particularly the PvP IO's which were in nearly non-existent supply on Live due to the extreme lack of popularity of PvP in this game.  Even purples are becoming semi-available now, although most seem to be going in the 15-25 million range.

The answer to price spikes IMO is Merits.  Run a few TF's and use those merits for the expensive stuff and save your inf for the more available IO's.

• Like 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

I've watched prices creep upwards the last few months, back in May and June very few things were more than 1 million per IO and premium stuff like Miracle, Numina, LOTG 7.5%, Gladiator's Armor and the like were running in the 4-6 million range.  As the player base gets more solvent prices are naturally starting to rise.

I haven't gone shopping for a character in a month or so but the last build I did I noticed many things were going above 2 million and the premium ones were bringing closer to 9 million.  I'd expect to see this continue but it won't get to the insanity level we had on Live in the late game due to the greater availability of all drops, particularly the PvP IO's which were in nearly non-existent supply on Live due to the extreme lack of popularity of PvP in this game.  Even purples are becoming semi-available now, although most seem to be going in the 15-25 million range.

The answer to price spikes IMO is Merits.  Run a few TF's and use those merits for the expensive stuff and save your inf for the more available IO's.

Between converters, drastically reduced merit costs for the rarer recipes, normal drops in AE content, and "bucketing" by level on the market, I very highly doubt prices will ever go the way they did on live.

• Like 3

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

• 4 weeks later
On 12/13/2019 at 6:39 PM, Call Me Awesome said:

Just remember that Merits-to-Inf is still a better deal if the price is below around 22 to 24 million Inf. (Depending on what the current going rate is for Converters and Boosters, of course.)

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!