Ice/ice ftw! Frigid protection slots

Eirwen

First off great to be back home! only found out we were back a couple of weeks ago by accident.  Spent the usual 1 day in costume creation lol and recreated my old look. Starting my ICE/ICE blaster and made it to lvl 10, I notice we now get frigid protection over chilling embrace and I'm loving it. The recovery regen is very nice along with stamina's recovery. Both I will 3 slot for the +recovery. My question, is frigid protection's health regen worth an extra 3 slots for heals if I have them, or is it very minimal?. at lvl 10 I get +14 nothing slotted.

Thanks all.

Ah so great to be back, these fine people have made this old gamer very happy.

It's not health regen, its absorption. Think of absorption as temporary hitpoints that get subtracted from first.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Ok, so the +14 I kept seeing was being subtracted from each attack so 34dmg becomes 20dmg.  I then assume 3 slots for the +recovery, but don't waste another 3 for the temp hitpoints? as a ice/ice blaster we seem to have so many holds, knockdown, and control, that the 3 slots I would guess is more important to those to keep them away from us. :)

I kind of did the opposite and 3 slotted it with Heal/Absorb. I wasn't really have end problems. If I add a slot for Endurance Mods it'll probably just get the Performance Shifter proc.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

I haven’t run any numbers, but the absorb refreshes very often and probably mitigates more damage than you’d think. I say go for it if you’ve got the slots, though slotting for end mod should be the higher priority.

1 hour ago, Frostbiter said:

If I add a slot for Endurance Mods it'll probably just get the Performance Shifter proc.

Actually, in Frigid Protection, the first two level 50 end mod IOs will give you more endurance per second than a Performance Shifter proc, on average.

Edited by Vanden

On 8/6/2019 at 2:56 PM, Vanden said:

I haven’t run any numbers, but the absorb refreshes very often and probably mitigates more damage than you’d think. I say go for it if you’ve got the slots, though slotting for end mod should be the higher priority.

Your right on the money I think with absorb. Coming back after so many years I have been doing some solo missions to relearn my skills. I have noticed from trash mobs (minions) I have been taking no dmg. Thinking I'm older and wiser and playing better now (LOL) was not the answer, then I thought maybe they had been nerfed, BUT its as you said, the absorb points even unslotted was enough to cover their dmg. So I am not healing anywhere near as much as I did  back on live. So I think i'll take 3 of the 6 slots I put normally on medicine (aid self) and make a 6 slot Frigid Protection, 3 heal/absorb 3/end mod

4 hours ago, Eirwen said:

Your right on the money I think with absorb. Coming back after so many years I have been doing some solo missions to relearn my skills. I have noticed from trash mobs (minions) I have been taking no dmg. Thinking I'm older and wiser and playing better now (LOL) was not the answer, then I thought maybe they had been nerfed, BUT its as you said, the absorb points even unslotted was enough to cover their dmg. So I am not healing anywhere near as much as I did  back on live. So I think i'll take 3 of the 6 slots I put normally on medicine (aid self) and make a 6 slot Frigid Protection, 3 heal/absorb 3/end mod

Well now don't forget that here on Homecoming we have much easier access to enhancement boosters and purple sets than we did on Live. You may be able to get those slots from somewhere else; for example, if, like me, you put 3 slots into Build Up and Aim for recharge, you can now get away with only two slots in each, with 50+5 common recharge IOs, for virtually identical recharge.

• 2 years later

Yeah I know this is late, but it came up when I was searching for other things, so I thought I'd add to it for the record...

Stamina gives you an additional 25% recovery rate, which approaches 50% once it's three-slotted. Frigid Protection gives you 50% recovery without any enhancements added, and approaches 100% when three-slotted. Playing a fire/ice blaster, I find that a single IO in Frigid Protection and Stamina is enough. I can go for very long periods of constant fighting without running out of endurance. Endurance is one of the last things I worry about. The reason is that you'll likely be slotting IO sets for various bonuses, and you'll be getting some endurance discounts from those sets. The combination of those and the greater endurance recovery is more than enough to make a single slot in FP and Stamina enough. Boosting the absorption shield will give you more results. That works well with the fact that FP dramatically reduces the damage you receive from anyone within its range. If you use extra slots, a damage, healing, or disorientation proc could be useful.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, racarnevali said:

Yeah I know this is late, but it came up when I was searching for other things, so I thought I'd add to it for the record...

A mere two years later 😄

• Like 1