Art/Commission Sharing Thread

Here are some old renders I did. All were rendered in Daz Studio, a free program from Daz3d.com (The program is free, the content to make the renders is for purchase. There are lots of freebies to be had - especially if you joined their premium "club" (used to be Platinum Club, now called Daz+), and you also get pretty nice discounts for what you pay for a yearly membership. I belonged to it for years, until nursing school ate my life and I had to give up all hobbies. 

This one was done once and then redone because I wasn't happy with the first one. It's of my main, Illusion/Empathy controller Azazela, from Liberty server (and now on Everlasting and Torchbearer here on HC).  This was before her death at the hands of her firstborn daughter, when she was promoted to being a guardian angel. I'll post that next... The character was the Daz base female "Victoria" wearing the "supersuit" body suit with textures made by me using the designs from the in-game textures along with a lot of adjusting and hand painting details back in. 

09-AzArmor2013-final.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can't post any of my namesake, VuDu DawL as she... well... she needs the "mature" label. This is another of Azazela who has always been my favorite since her creation. 

This portrays her after her death and "promotion" to being a guardian angel. 

I had a lighted mouse pad made of this piece for my desk. 

01-Az_MaidenArmor1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

This was one of my favorites but wow, was it a lot of work. The sewer background is an awesome prop bought from one of my favorite artists, Stonemason (if you decide to try Daz, I recommend searching for him on the store).  These three are DawL's daughter Sheken (redhead), her husband, Marcus, and their mate, the succubus known as Dark as Syn. All three of these were created originally on live and have been lovingly re-created on Homecoming. Sheken is a dark/psi defender. Marcus is a ninja/ninjitsu stalker, and Syn is a dark/dark/dark corruptor. Syn is probably my second favorite character, and thanks to a good friend doing a major overhaul on her build, she's a little beast now. 

02-triad-swr-final.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later
  • 3 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later
8 hours ago, SuperJoe said:

Over the years I've had many commissions done of the various heroes I made in COH, both from when the game was live, and now on Homecoming.  You'll find my full collection on my DA page at: https://www.deviantart.com/joethebigitalianguy.  But I'll post some of my most popular and recent ones here.

Flamabelle by https://www.deviantart.com/mro16

Flamabelle (2).jpg

These are the two of yours I have collected in my Superheroes favorites album. Super great!

• 2 weeks later
1 minute ago, Gobbledygook said:

You are really loving that toon, aren't you @biostem?

Something about the powers, costume, and everything just clicked for me.  I was in love with my dp/rad sent for a while, then my fire/dev blaster, but this one I'm managing to stick with...

• 2 weeks later

I have a subscription to Midjourney and have been playing around with it a lot. I did spend some time trying to see if I could use it to generate cool versions of coh characters. The answer right now I think is no. You can probably enter a prompt that will produce a superhero-ish character that might be in the same ballpark as your character. But if you really care about the details you've chosen in the character designer, which I think most players do, you're not going to get that kind of fidelity out of the AI unless you're much more sophisticated in your use of the algorithms and have some sort of dedicated data set that it's employing to generate images.

It's very hard, for example to get it do masks and weapons with any kind of predictability. My older son is generating a lot of images of melee style weaponry and it's kicking out a lot of things that look like a cross between a weapon and exercise equipment. I uploaded images of masked superhero characters I've drawn in the hopes of guiding the AI towards the results I wanted. But it's clear that the AI sees the mask as a visual pattern on the surface of the face--so I ended up with characters with panda faces or face tattoos. Of course this is all subject to change as the technology develops and my prompting could be lacking. But I did spend many hours testing parameters to see if I could get it to work.

AI is incredible. I think that people interested in fanart of their characters absolutely should look into it. But unless you have just a very generic desire for pretty pictures, it's not going to replace an artist. It's better thought of, IMO, as steroids for your imagination. It's amazing at ideation. If you have a vague idea of something you want, AI can instantly generate well rendered visions of that thing. And this includes ideas for lighting and compositions, color schemes, etc.

So imagine you are looking to commission an artist to do art of your character. If it's just a simple character sheet, AI is not going to be that much of a help. But if this is a complex image of your character's origin, fighting their arch enemy on the streets of Paris in the 1940s, AI can quickly generate a wealth of reference imagery that would be really useful in creating that image. Also you the commissioner can get a clearer idea of what you want and you can SHOW the artist rather than trying to put things into descriptive language.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've played around with Nightcafe, even loading in screenshots of my characters to use as a starting point, and besides taking cues from the character's overall color scheme or gender, the resultant images really are depictions of that same character, even if I tell it to *not* diverge from the source image that much.  I'm sure AI art will get there eventually, but until I can say "depict this character in this style and in this pose", and actually get that, I'll happily save up my money and commission a real person to do a piece for me...

I spent a while messing around with Dall-E and got some interesting results.  Doing variations on a theme feeding in my reference sheet, can give you a sense of the training sets it might be using:

It generally tends to do okay with generic guidelines:

As you try to get more specific though, things can go a bit haywire:

Draggynn, Storm Summoning/Psychic Defender, formerly a resident of Virtue

My collection of commissioned art: https://www.deviantart.com/drag-gynn

Midjourney added a new type of prompt called "describe." You upload an image with this prompt and it kicks out 4 different text prompts that the application thinks describes the image. You can then enter each of these prompts to see what it actually creates. I tried it with the Draggynn image above:

dfus3ds-0f667d04-99c2-41d9-8276-8de45853

The set on the bottom is the original image entered again in conjunction with one of the text prompts kicked out by /describe.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later

The Ghost of New York

mErtlYk.png

I went full in to the water magic concept for this Blaster. Water blast, Dark, Leviathan. 

AI Art. Took many a try to get it to do what I wanted for this one. I wanted the clothing and the sharks to look watery. 

Full bio

Transcript of Interview with Manhattan Detective David Graves

“First, there was this string of odd %^&$. Spring of 2020- Muggers drowned; a drug dealer dying ..the ME said was shark bites, a pimp froze to death, in Spring, in the street.

Then came the massacre of the Maruszczyk crime ‘family.’

Their restaurant was a horror show..a front of course, but good eats…anyway..to the man, frozen, shark bit, drowned, drowned not in a sink, just drowned.

We barely had the call when a woman, all in white, walked into the precinct. She had a hard drive of evidence on them, far beyond our records, and we’d been on them for 8 years.

She stuck around for questioning for a bit but I went to get her a coffee and.. I was 12 feet away mind you…poof. There was nothing but a puddle on my floor. We had surveillance footage of course, there too - poof, But we circulated some stills.

She was IDd as Emi Kimura. Ya, the nightclub singer. The one who drowned back in 2018. Foul play suspected but no leads.

That was the start of the crime families getting wiped out. She doesn’t even come by any more…just sends me a big zip file of evidence via Dropbox. A ghost using &^*& Dropbox.”

FBSA link https://fbsa.homecoming.wiki/wiki/Ghost_of_New_York

Edited by blackhand
  • Like 2