Art/Commission Sharing Thread

Those are looking good indeed.

I'm glad you guys had a great experience with Avionecta, mine alas, has been rather different.

I received my piece weeks ago and it was very pretty to look at but she got none of the details right.                      
I sent her very detailed ref's and several brief sentences mentioning what was important and what made

Shieldara different from "generic hero 368943" and for the most part she just ignored all of what I sent her.

I also told her to ask if she had any questions and send a sketch for approval if she was not sure about something.

These are the same refs I have sent to several other artists and I have never had this problem before.

To her credit, after I sent her a list of the dozen or so most glaring errors (which was less than half of what I found amiss)

she rechecked the refs and agreed it was her mistake for not paying attention. She has said she will make me a completely new

piece free of charge because it would be too much work to fix the original so I do give her credit for owning up to it and agreeing

to make it right. She also said she will send a sketch first for my approval this time. So we'll see how it goes, I'll keep you guys posted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

2 hours ago, Christopher Robin said:

I'm glad you guys had a great experience with Avionecta, mine alas, has been rather different.

I received my piece weeks ago and it was very pretty to look at but she got none of the details right.                      
I sent her very detailed ref's and several brief sentences mentioning what was important and what made

Shieldara different from "generic hero 368943" and for the most part she just ignored all of what I sent her.

I also told her to ask if she had any questions and send a sketch for approval if she was not sure about something.

These are the same refs I have sent to several other artists and I have never had this problem before.

To her credit, after I sent her a list of the dozen or so most glaring errors (which was less than half of what I found amiss)

she rechecked the refs and agreed it was her mistake for not paying attention. She has said she will make me a completely new

piece free of charge because it would be too much work to fix the original so I do give her credit for owning up to it and agreeing

to make it right. She also said she will send a sketch first for my approval this time. So we'll see how it goes, I'll keep you guys posted.

Ah, I'm sorry to hear your experience hasn't been the best thus far, though it is nice that it sounds like she wants to make it right. Good luck, and I'm excited to see the final product!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Flashtoo said:

Well, I don't tend to buy commissions because I don't have that kind of disposable income, but here's the most recent commission I completed:

Whoa, that's beautiful! The attention paid to the minute details in her boots/pants/jacket (everything) really makes this piece stand out. Super nice :]

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Flashtoo said:

Well, I don't tend to buy commissions because I don't have that kind of disposable income, but here's the most recent commission I completed:

Art trades?

It's how I got a dozen or so of the art pieces in my collection.

Also nice work on your latest comm, agree with MBM lot's of nice little details to draw the eye.

• Like 4

07K1tHnz_o.png

• 3 weeks later
On 10/3/2019 at 11:25 PM, Christopher Robin said:

Honestly, she sounds very professional. Owned up to her mistake and apologized. Offered a free piece. Sounds like someone who is actively trying to do the right thing. I'd request a commission from her in a heart beat with that level of professionalism (mainly because my supergroup already received a commission from her). She nailed our characters perfectly.

I don't see any problem here.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Waypoint said:

Honestly, she sounds very professional. Owned up to her mistake and apologized. Offered a free piece. Sounds like someone who is actively trying to do the right thing. I'd request a commission from her in a heart beat with that level of professionalism (mainly because my supergroup already received a commission from her). She nailed our characters perfectly.

I don't see any problem here.  

"............................... She nailed our characters perfectly.

I don't see any problem here."

I cannot tell from plain text whether these remarks

are intended to be callous or just nonsensical.

Care to  explain further?

Edited by Christopher Robin

07K1tHnz_o.png

2 hours ago, Moka said:

My friend King Crazy did this beautiful picture of my main character, Makani!

a4PstWn.jpg

That came out great @Moka. Oh and welcome to the best part of the forums!  zb7XgP0P_o.png

Do you happen to have a link to his DA or website and is he open for

commissions at the moment? Inquiring minds want to know. 07K1tHnz_o.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

2 hours ago, Moka said:

My friend King Crazy did this beautiful picture of my main character, Makani!

That piece came out great!  I can guestimate the parts, but could you post a screenshot of the original character for reference?  What are her AT/powers?  Thanks!

1 minute ago, biostem said:

That piece came out great!  I can guestimate the parts, but could you post a screenshot of the original character for reference?  What are her AT/powers?  Thanks!

She's a STJ/bio stalker! : ) The bio armor is because her dad is a living demon tree, so the carapaces are demonic "wood" and she's able to adapt to her surroundings and leech from people.

aAZlHk9.jpg

i9XveV7.jpg

lpNPdst.jpg

Edited by Moka
  • Thanks 3

Here's something I made!

Rendora.thumb.jpeg.3bb5a648effcdef9b023fb8984c8507c.jpeg

It's a picture of my dual-tanto-wielding, fiery scrapper. She was transported to Paragon City via an inter-dimensional portal.

Rendora1-2.png

I took some liberties with the costume colors. I was trying to achieve something reminiscent of the Elder Scrolls - although I'm not sure that was accomplished.

Edited by QueenBethari
added original photo
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Christopher Robin said:

"............................... She nailed our characters perfectly.

I don't see any problem here."

I cannot tell from plain text whether these remarks

are intended to be callous or just nonsensical.

Care to  explain further?

You might be reading too much into his phrasing.

I think the point of what he's saying is that, in the event that a commissioned artist makes mistakes, having them cooperate to fix the mistakes (or make a whole new piece free of charge) is pretty much the most professional way the artist can handle that situation. It's the best case scenario for when that happens. So to still hold it against the artist by publicly warning others about them, despite the fact that they are actually making a huge effort to properly address your concerns, seems kind of harsh. Especially considering word of mouth is like an artist's primary method of promotion.

That's just my 2 cents as a fellow artist whose character was also in the aforementioned group commission, haha. Personally I love Avionetca's work, and she made a huge effort to perfectly capture our entire team. And honestly, the fact that she is willing to redo your pic at all is kind of a reason why people should be commissioning from her - because she actually cares about how her clients feel about the final product. That's what a good artist would do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Also, here is the commission that a few people from my SG on Everlasting 'The Vanquishers' got done by Avionetca. I really love this piece a ton! My character is the one in black & white in the center, Limbo:

NCVL8Fe.jpg

(if you have trouble viewing the full-size image try this link: https://i.imgur.com/NCVL8Fe.jpg)

Edited by Jon
  • Like 12

5 hours ago, Jon said:

You might be reading too much into his phrasing.

I think the point of what he's saying is that, in the event that a commissioned artist makes mistakes, having them cooperate to fix the mistakes (or make a whole new piece free of charge) is pretty much the most professional way the artist can handle that situation. It's the best case scenario for when that happens. So to still hold it against the artist by publicly warning others about them, despite the fact that they are actually making a huge effort to properly address your concerns, seems kind of harsh. Especially considering word of mouth is like an artist's primary method of promotion.

That's just my 2 cents as a fellow artist whose character was also in the aforementioned group commission, haha. Personally I love Avionetca's work, and she made a huge effort to perfectly capture our entire team. And honestly, the fact that she is willing to redo your pic at all is kind of a reason why people should be commissioning from her - because she actually cares about how her clients feel about the final product. That's what a good artist would do.

Another one??? are yu guys for real here? Were either of you around on live? do you even remember coXso? that was all him. CR is the biggest supporter of coh artists i have ever seen. period.

his thread draws more eyeballs than any other art thread by far and what does he do with that attention? promote OTHER artists! Flash,Zemya, Baquitania, battlewrait, digital elf, Darth delicious, Lord Goat, MikeNovembar, Supa Dee and that's all in the first few pages.

As far as I can tell with avionecta he is callin it right down middle and being totally transparent so people know going in what to expect if they comm her so, what's wrong with that? Everything you two are saying good about her has already been said, by ChristopherRobin! seriously go read his comments again. he gave her all the credit for doing the right thing, twice even. 

and has he ever said she was unprofessional somewhere? I mustve missed that. Did he ever say not to commission her anywhere? no? then wth guys?

58 minutes ago, DJ1 said:

Another one??? are yu guys for real here? Were either of you around on live? do you even remember coXso? that was all him. CR is the biggest supporter of coh artists i have ever seen. period.

his thread draws more eyeballs than any other art thread by far and what does he do with that attention? promote OTHER artists! Flash,Zemya, Baquitania, battlewrait, digital elf, Darth delicious, Lord Goat, MikeNovembar, Supa Dee and that's all in the first few pages.

As far as I can tell with avionecta he is callin it right down middle and being totally transparent so people know going in what to expect if they comm her so, what's wrong with that? Everything you two are saying good about her has already been said, by ChristopherRobin! seriously go read his comments again. he gave her all the credit for doing the right thing, twice even. 

and has he ever said she was unprofessional somewhere? I mustve missed that. Did he ever say not to commission her anywhere? no? then wth guys?

I think you have misinterpreted everything I have written as some kind of attack on ChristopherRobin, but you reread my post you will find that is certainly not the case. You are grossly overreacting to what was a pretty minor exchange in this thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

Relax people, deep breaths, everything is going to be just fine. zb7XgP0P_o.png

I concur with Jon's statement that this is a relatively minor thing so let's stay focused

here and not blow things out of proportion. This is the current situation as I see it.

1. Ewelina (Avi's real name) did deliver a paid commission laden with mistakes.

This is a thing that happened. Being dismissive of that fact it doesn't make it any less true.

2. She agrees with me.

I explained my position, gave her examples and a quick

paint-over showing her what I meant and she agreed.

3. She and I are working together to resolve it in a mutually beneficial way.

If I was just out for myself here I could've received a refund, kept the art she had already sent me,

(mistakes or not it's still a nice piece of art) and just left it at that but I genuinely want to see

her paid for her time and effort and if anything receive more commissions, not less.

4. Starting over from scratch and doing another piece for free was her idea.

My suggestion was that she correct a few of the biggest mistakes and that I could pay her something extra for her time.

She thought there were too many mistakes and that it would take longer to fix them all than to just do it over again.

5. I plan to reward her if she makes good on her promise. 

Anyone who knows me or has been paying attention could already see where this was going.

If she won't accept payment for the remake I plan to ask her for an another paid commission (if possible see #6)

and then pay her back in the form of a extra tip on that piece. My habit of late has been to order extra artz

and then either give it away as a gift or make it the prize in a forum contest so maybe I'll just do that.

Stay tuned for details.

6. What about her DA and stuff?

It's true her Deviant Art page is wiped (see for yourself here) and there is an exchange in Polish between her and what sounds like her ex on this page.

She says she is being stalked and some of her accounts have been taken over but as far as I can tell she still has her paypal, gmail and her Patreon

accounts under her control so she should still be able to take commissions in theory but she may have to put things on hold until she can

get out from under this. People interested in helping can probably do so through her Patreon. I will update if/when I find out more.

----------------------------

Also quick correction @DJ1 credit where credit is due. While it's true CoXsO was my idea and I did sink dozens of hours into the event it wasn't "all me"

When it was crunch time and I asked for help Darth Delicious stepped in and even though we are in time zones 7 hours apart she stayed up late/early

essentially pulling an all nighter (and well into next day lol) to make sure things were ready in time. She was a big part of why everything went

as smooth as it did (thanks DD! zb7XgP0P_o.png).

Also I appreciate the kinds words but do please take it down a notch and try not to exacerbate the situation. 07K1tHnz_o.png

• Like 5

07K1tHnz_o.png

On 10/24/2019 at 9:37 AM, QueenBethari said:

Here's something I made!

Rendora.thumb.jpeg.3bb5a648effcdef9b023fb8984c8507c.jpeg

It's a picture of my dual-tanto-wielding, fiery scrapper. She was transported to Paragon City via an inter-dimensional portal.

Rendora1-2.png

I took some liberties with the costume colors. I was trying to achieve something reminiscent of the Elder Scrolls - although I'm not sure that was accomplished.

I feel like this may have been somewhat overlooked in what followed so I am

backtracking a bit to say I really like how this turned out @QueenBethari. zb7XgP0P_o.png

If I could suggest anything simple I would say some more dynamic range and contrast

could be had fairly quickly by making a shadow pass in a few areas like under her

chin and under her arms. Darken a little in these places and it will bring out

more of the volume of the shapes and things will be less flat on the page.

What you have so far looks great it just looks like you

stopped too soon (right after the flatting stage).

• Like 3

07K1tHnz_o.png

19 hours ago, Christopher Robin said:

I feel like this may have been somewhat overlooked in what followed so I am

backtracking a bit to say I really like how this turned out @QueenBethari. zb7XgP0P_o.png

If I could suggest anything simple I would say some more dynamic range and contrast

could be had fairly quickly by making a shadow pass in a few areas like under her

chin and under her arms. Darken a little in these places and it will bring out

more of the volume of the shapes and things will be less flat on the page.

What you have so far looks great it just looks like you

stopped too soon (right after the flatting stage).

Oh, cool! I've never gotten the hang of shading, but you've given me a few places to start. 🙂

Rendora2.thumb.jpeg.c0e760066ba2837d153d386c37d7918e.jpeg

EDIT: Added the shaded version. I'm not sure if there's much of a difference, but I did try shading underneath her arm, below the jaw, and in a few other places. Below is the original. Thoughts?

Rendora.jpeg

Edited by QueenBethari
Added Shaded Image and Original for Comparison
  • Like 2

Well there is a whole lot to it (books have literally been written on the subject) but if I had to sum up

the process of shading in one sentence it would be "pick a light source and then darken

anything not facing it or that has something between it and the light."

What you've got is a good first step but I would say push it even further than that.

My experience has been that when people are just starting out with shading they are usually waaaaay too

tentative so maybe try going way further than you think you should and you'll be getting close to where you want to be. 07K1tHnz_o.png

P.S. I don't know if you have any art programs but if so you could try it digitally. That way your traditional art is left

untouched and you can really push the shading without risking anything that you might want to keep.

Tell ya what, I'll do a shading pass for comparison and we'll see how close you get to it. zb7XgP0P_o.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

07K1tHnz_o.png

I'm starting work on a webcomic and thought it might be helpful to have another artist basically do concept art for what a couple of characters look like. I commissioned Flashtoo for clean lines of the two and gave her a description and a style sheet that featured a bunch of things that might be appropriate--but I didn't have an actual set design. I got the linework today:

soopy_and_loopy_lines_by_battlewraith_dd

I'm very pleased. I think she nailed what I was going for and it was a good commission experience. She sent me updates, asked for clarification if she needed it, incorporated my feedback and had a pretty quick turnaround. Check her out if you're looking to have a character done.

• Like 8