An Update from The Homecoming Team

Jimmy

37 minutes ago, Remidi said:

I know they do for trademarks, and I guess it was sloppy to lump them in together.  But that's why you hear those stories about stuff like Disney telling a day care center they can't have Mickey Mouse on their exterior.  They have to protect their trademark, even for small things.

It's true for trademarks. But protection could very well be something as simple as giving a day care a free license. 

11 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

It's true for trademarks. But protection could very well be something as simple as giving a day care a free license. 

Not in cases like that.  Disney pointed out that by having their characters on the sign, etc., people could think that Disney was somehow connected to the day care center.  A very different kettle of fish than what we are talking about with CoH.

I'm optimistic. I find myself happy that I've gotten to play CoH at all after so many years. I've spent almost literally every day since I discovered it I think in May playing with my wife or soloing up an alt. I love this gift, and while I would be sad beyond words if it all went away, I'm happier to have had it at all.

So I feel free to be optimistic. Excited even.

(I mean, what makes me sad, at least in a hypothetical sense, is the thought that I never happened to learn about HC and only discovered it just before it someday disappeared.)

2 minutes ago, EggKookoo said:

(I mean, what makes me sad, at least in a hypothetical sense, is the thought that I never happened to learn about HC and only discovered it just before it someday disappeared.)

That's what happened to the Praetorian EggKooKoo...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Didn't Cryptic still get licensing for the engine after they left which is partially why the Cryptic logo remained on the splash screen? And if not mistaken, Cryptic didn't sell the engine because they wanted to use it to build on for their future games which turned out to be Champions, Star Trek, and Neverwinter. So working out something with NCSoft, probably might have to work something out with Cryptic who went from Atari to PerfectWorld. Probably wouldn't be able to shut it down, but that could cause an added cost to run the game.

49 minutes ago, Remidi said:

Not in cases like that.  Disney pointed out that by having their characters on the sign, etc., people could think that Disney was somehow connected to the day care center.  A very different kettle of fish than what we are talking about with CoH.

Yes, they absolutely could do that if they wanted to, there is no doubt about that. But that would also likely create extra overhead to manage so it's cheaper to just tell them to stop.

Plus it's also worth considering that such a scenario possibly wouldn't pass the "moron in a hurry" test, but trademark lawsuits are expensive, so it's in the daycare's best interest to just do as Disney orders.

7 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

Yes, they absolutely could do that if they wanted to, there is no doubt about that. But that would also likely create extra overhead to manage so it's cheaper to just tell them to stop.

Plus it's also worth considering that such a scenario possibly wouldn't pass the "moron in a hurry" test, but trademark lawsuits are expensive, so it's in the daycare's best interest to just do as Disney orders.

Trademark infringements are funny things...unless you are copying someone else's trademark and claiming it's yours, you don't lose the trademark to someone else...you just lose it - it's gone forever...

Escalator, Trampoline, and Aspirin were all trademarked products, but as the usage of the name become so common place and because those companies didn't manage how people used their products name, those names are now public domain...If you let your trademark get diluted, you can lose it...So if people start putting mouse ears up everywhere, and Disney doesn't police it, they will lose the right to keep that image just for them...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

2 hours ago, Remidi said:

I know they do for trademarks, and I guess it was sloppy to lump them in together.  But that's why you hear those stories about stuff like Disney telling a day care center they can't have Mickey Mouse on their exterior.  They have to protect their trademark, even for small things.

I remember George Takei got into trouble with the University Georgia Tech all because his cologne logo was similar to the colleges logo.

9 hours ago, MadCow99 said:

Trust me when I say that people will never, ever let go of their biases, not matter how many facts you put in front of them.  Especially since there were two very public things that used the word "Titan".  You're howling into the wind. 

9 hours ago, GM Widower said:

Yeah, and it's unfortunate, but somebody's got to do it.

Wind Control confirmed.

goes to one knee and does a fist pump "YESSS"

On 8/7/2019 at 11:10 PM, Omega-202 said:

I see nothing positive that can come from this.  

Option A) NCsoft issues a license to the HC team, for a fee.  Donations need to go up to compensate.  Other servers out there probably won't be able to afford a license and there's no way NCsoft will be willing to deal with places like /coxg/.  Eventually donations will peter out and the license will no longer be affordable.

Option B) NCsoft brings back a legit I24 server.  Goodbye all of our progress here.  Goodbye all of the I25 updates.  Goodbye streamlined progression.  Probably welcome back the MTXs.  

Option C) Negotiations go belly up and the whole shebang gets shutdown.  

I feel like the best scenario was to just tell them to pound sand.  It would be more hassle and expense for them to play whack-a-mole on servers and they'd quit really quickly.  

Man... I bet you're fun at parties... 

• Haha 3

@TonyV

Does this mean that Paragon Wiki would be able to be updated again with the Homecoming Content? (Should things work out)

• Like 2

On 8/8/2019 at 1:11 AM, Tahquitz said:

They started months ago. And the server needs to lay off the blush. 😛

Well, good thing we only have to check four different places to get all of the game news since they don't actually put it all in one place.

@Vyx found mostly on the Everlasting server! [@Vyxen from Virtue]

Total Lvl 50 Toon Count: 13

Maalik - vet lvl 320 Katana/Energy Brute

Supreme Soviet - vet lvl 12 Fire/Fire Dominator

• City Council
46 minutes ago, justicebeliever said:

@TonyV

Does this mean that Paragon Wiki would be able to be updated again with the Homecoming Content? (Should things work out)

That's the goal 🙂

Although I'd also like a snapshotted copy of the wiki that documents the game as it was when it closed.

• Thanks 4

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

That's the goal 🙂

Although I'd also like a snapshotted copy of the wiki that documents the game as it was when it closed.

Now, if you only you had a large player base willing to author topics on how the game works...Where could we find such a group? 😉

On 8/8/2019 at 11:01 AM, EmperorSteele said:

Just one?

Against an entire corporation?!

Does Conservation of Ninjitsu work in a legal setting?

I never heard it called that.  I'm only familiar with the Inverse Ninja law - where the threat posed is inversely proportional to the number of enemies.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 8/8/2019 at 11:55 AM, VicZantosa said:

Later today I'm going to be saving all of the costumes for the characters I and my wife have carefully recreated from our old Live days on Freedom, and brace for impact.

Not sure if this is any help to you, or if you're beyond this point, but:

I'm sure you recall the Titan Sentinel tool that let you export your character information to an XML file.

Are you aware they recently created an extraction tool that reads the costume data and generates the .costume format files used by CoH?

Edit:  Here's the extraction tool.  https://cit.cohtitan.com/senticon/

Edited by Ironblade

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

19 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

I never heard it called that.  I'm only familiar with the Inverse Ninja law - where the threat posed is inversely proportional to the number of enemies.

You're welcome, and my condolences for throwing you into the rabbit hole.

22 minutes ago, justicebeliever said:

Now, if you only you had a large player base willing to author topics on how the game works...Where could we find such a group? 😉

You know what would rock? A (web) equivalent of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, but filled with CoH stuff. Major NPC characters at first, but how cool would it be to be able to add our own eventually?

1 minute ago, EggKookoo said:

You know what would rock? A (web) equivalent of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, but filled with CoH stuff. Major NPC characters at first, but how cool would it be to be able to add our own eventually?

That was the very first comic book I started collecting...I had read a few Marvel Comics, but when I heard about that one, I made my mom drive me to the comic book store once a month to pick them up...I also loved the DC's Who's Who...

So yes, that would be very cool!