An Update from The Homecoming Team

Jimmy

On 8/9/2019 at 10:33 PM, Ohioknight said:

That seems like a very sensible approach and precaution and it leaves me with only one question

WHY  WOULD YOU ANNOUNCE THAT  ?????????!!!!!!!!

There are probably lots of people who did that and IF NCSoft were ever so wacko as to try to shut down private servers and find individuals to try to go after, those people will all be so low key and under the radar that NCSoft would ever know even to look for them.  Unless they ANNOUNCED that that was what they were planning in a public forum!

Because I want to have a discussion about it.  The number of people capable of doing this is far larger than just me, and is a factor in negotiations, even unspoken.  Nobody is going to track me down and kick in my door for a copy of a piece of an obsolete and unmarketable piece of software readily downloaded from public sites, and already has been thousands of times.  If I had the only copy of it, or was trying to make money off it, or something like that, I might be a target.  In this situation, no.  Also, I take other precautions.  Forum statements are just words, and not illegal.

18 hours ago, Black Zot said:

Now who's projecting?  There's no glee at all in what I'm saying.  Only disgust that so many people are willing to take the snake at its word that it won't bite.

Your words: "Hahahahahaha ....  You are incredibly naive if you think NCSoft won't stomp CoH into the dirt all over again at the slightest excuse.  All this negotiation does is give them an easy vector to squash the whole thing at once."

Perhaps "maniacal laughter" would have been more appropriate a description? It's not as if "disgust" redeems your words any further.

You're still not getting it. We aren't taking NCSoft's word here. We're taking the Homecoming Team's word. Beneath the coils of your so-called snake is this game's future, and they're reaching for it anyway. It's better than languishing in bitterness.

• Like 1

For some time after shutdown, efforts were made to buy the game and NCSoft allegedly came to the table and then basically walked away after apparently stringing the talks along.

NCSoft clearly doesn't care much about CoH any longer, imo.

Also with private servers being very possible, the game cannot truly perish.

As to how much I trust NCsoft, well.......perhaps we should ask Richard Garriott how he feels about them.....

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 2:08 PM, Ohioknight said:

Tons of people operate under that misunderstanding -- It was probably an unfortunate choice that that branch of "Project Phoenix" "Missing World's Media" chose to name their game "City of Titans" which, I imagine, was in homage to Titan Network where they originally organized via the chat boards.   But there's never been an actual connection between the organizations other than the fact that a lot of CoT people have chatted on Titan Network CoH boards at some point.

yeah i first heard of CoT on the titan networks chat, probably why i associated the two.

On 8/10/2019 at 1:19 AM, GM Widower said:

While I would be incredibly amused if the Leakening was a massive false-flag operation, Titan Network has not been negotiating for 6-7 years. Titan has been negotiating since April. Previous attempts were not Titan. It's not all connected.

i just know someone from titan network was in new negotiations a few years back that never lead anywhere.

I didn't get much into city of heroes when it first came out.  I wanted to but could int at the time until it went free to play.  I started to play close enough to he shutdown and was over the moon when I heard of the comeback.  I am a huge comic book fan.  Ive played other super hero mmo's but to me they never felt the same as C.O.H.  With the customizable options for your hero as well as the mission editor where missions can be made like something straight out of a marvel movie or comic book I immediately jumped on.  Ive got two certain homes online.  World of Warcraft (FOR THE ALLIANCE) and C.O.H.  And I say to the homecoming team thank you and keep up the great work and good luck with the negotiations.

And if things do go belly up with the negotiations and some way the hammer falls well... they thought they could being us down once and well.... were still here.  Paragon fell once and rose like a phoenix im sure it will raise again

EMERALD STAR PUB DISCORD: 

Hey guys.  Need a place to go online were you can forget eberything going on in the real world?  Place to let loose have fun and a laugh?  Well come on down to the Emerald star pub.  A fun place to be thats both ooc and rp chat.  You want to know more theres an invite below to come check us out and have some fun

Emerald Star Pub

• City Council
58 minutes ago, DarschPugs said:

i just know someone from titan network was in new negotiations a few years back that never lead anywhere.

As I said earlier and will likely be saying regularly for the next month, that wasn't Titan Network, that was the guy who was in charge of the wholly separate City of Titans, though to the best of my knowledge he wasn't negotiating as lead of City of Titans, either. (It's complicated.) You read about it on Titan Network, but none of them were involved; kind of like how you can watch Congressional proceedings on C-SPAN, but C-SPAN isn't run by Congress.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

17 minutes ago, GM Widower said:

As I said earlier and will likely be saying regularly for the next month, that wasn't Titan Network, that was the guy who was in charge of the wholly separate City of Titans, though to the best of my knowledge he wasn't negotiating as lead of City of Titans, either. (It's complicated.) You read about it on Titan Network, but none of them were involved; kind of like how you can watch Congressional proceedings on C-SPAN, but C-SPAN isn't run by Congress.

Well, duh...C-SPAN is run by Nemesis...

And the aliens...and quite possibly the reverse vampires...it's complicated, right?

Edited by justicebeliever

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Between the confusion about the difference between City of Titans, and the Titan Network; and things that were posted on the Titan Network forums, but talking about efforts led by City of Titans guys...wait...what?  I think I confused myself!  

No, wait!  I got it now!  Hopefully, everybody else does too. 😎

What was no more, is REBORN!

1 minute ago, DocGray said:

If CoH goes legit and we can join on a subscription basis, I'd pay $1,000 a month to be able to keep playing! 😄

And people think that a drop in population will somehow make keeping the lights on difficult.😁

• Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

3 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

And people think that a drop in population will somehow make keeping the lights on difficult.😁

My main concern with a lower population is being able to field teams for whatever I'm in the mood to do.  Everything from a Posi 1 taskforce, to a Maria Jenkins mission team, to any and all manner of Incarnate Trials.  I just want enough folks around that it doesn't take more time to assemble a team, than it does to do the actual mission, TF, Trial, etc.  🙂

What was no more, is REBORN!

• City Council
51 minutes ago, DocGray said:

If CoH goes legit and we can join on a subscription basis, I'd pay $1,000 a month to be able to keep playing! 😄

As Jimmy has said, Homecoming will remain free in perpetuity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

On 8/10/2019 at 3:42 PM, Jimmy said:

Some corrections / clarifications / answers:

• Tony is the head of The Titan Network.
  • The Titan network has nothing to do with City of Titans (aka The Phoenix Project), that's being developed by Missing Worlds Media.
  • Leandro is not the owner of Homecoming.
  • Homecoming doesn't have a leader, it is a collective (although technically Cipher owns the LLC on paper right now).
  • Homecoming is in the process of becoming a non-profit, although doing this correctly is not a simple or quick process.
  • The non-profit will have multiple board members, ensuring the project is not reliant on or controlled by a single individual.
  • We will always listen to the community - long term we hope to be as transparent as we possibly can be, but obviously current circumstances require a certain level of secrecy.

Thank you for these clarifications!

• Thanks 1

@Vyx found mostly on the Everlasting server! [@Vyxen from Virtue]

Total Lvl 50 Toon Count: 13

Maalik - vet lvl 320 Katana/Energy Brute

Supreme Soviet - vet lvl 12 Fire/Fire Dominator

On 8/11/2019 at 4:49 PM, Black Zot said:

Hahahahahaha ....  You are incredibly naive if you think NCSoft won't stomp CoH into the dirt all over again at the slightest excuse.  All this negotiation does is give them an easy vector to squash the whole thing at once.

You really don't get how business works do you? smdh... They wouldn't waste the time (which is $$) to negotiate to shut it down when they could have just sent a C&D letter and been done with it.

On 8/11/2019 at 7:22 PM, Black Zot said:

You'll forgive me if I see no reason whatsoever to trust a company that's already stabbed us in the back once.

How so? They shut down your favorite game because they didn't see the profit in it. A BUSINESS DECISION. Again back to BUSINESS. 

On 8/11/2019 at 7:44 PM, Murcielago said:

There are so many negative people on this post. I get realism but damn, some of y'all should quit your jobs and write spy novels.

Yeah the Bourne conspiracies are... entertaining to say the least.

On 8/12/2019 at 10:10 AM, justicebeliever said:

Here's what I want to know...how do I get the corporation mind reading power (knowing what NCSoft will or won't do)?  It seem like it would be a handy temp power to have against the Crey...

Simple. Hold a grudge against a Korean based game publish and lurk on reddit  😄 

On 8/11/2019 at 8:57 PM, Black Zot said:

Same way they almost wiped the game out 7 years ago: use the "legit" server to concentrate everything in one place so they can kill the thing with one bullet instead of half a dozen.

Yeah, no. A half dozen Cease and Desist letters are way cheaper than negotiating. Serious suggestion, head over to reddit in r/conspiracy, they'd love you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3