An Update from The Homecoming Team

Jimmy

1 minute ago, justicebeliever said:

Aren't you saying 2 wrong's make something right?  really?  Pick one side of the argument and stick with it...either stick to talk about copyright and leave the other stuff out, or mush it all together, and be prepared for people to call you on it... 

If you can't make the distinction between making a cosplay toon in a video game and real life physical violence I don't know what to tell you.  Never once have I said making copycats is not illegal.  Of course it is and people shouldn't do it.  But some do and it is in a freaking 10 year old video game.  This is what keeps you up at night?  And for those on their high horse to sit there and say its ok for them do illegally use someone elses property but it is not ok when someone else does it is hypocrisy.  Says a lot about the kind of person they are.

4 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

If you can't make the distinction between making a cosplay toon in a video game and real life physical violence I don't know what to tell you. 

Of course they aren't the same, and neither is illegal drinking, or driving too fast, or watching a pirated movie...I didn't bring irrelevant crimes into the conversation, you did...

3 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Never once have I said making copycats is not illegal.  Of course it is and people shouldn't do it. 

4 hours ago, ZacKing said:

Copycats are not an infringement in my opinion. 

Maybe your opinion has evolved in the last 4 hours?

4 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

This is what keeps you up at night?  And for those on their high horse to sit there and say its ok for them do illegally use someone elses property but it is not ok when someone else does it is hypocrisy.  Says a lot about the kind of person they are.

Like I said, I'm not interested in there being enforcement of this...I keep trying to tell you, I agree we shouldn't worry about this (trying, is the operative word).

As for anyone enforcing anything, there must be hypocrisy...all of us have broken the law at some point, and yet there must be law and order...nature of the beast my friend...If you have to be perfect to tell pass a law and tell others what to do, then we have total anarchy...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Just now, justicebeliever said:

Maybe your opinion has evolved in the last 4 hours? 

I said it was not infringement in my opinion meaning I would not be an anal retentive hypocrite and report someone for it.  Not difficult to understand.

3 minutes ago, justicebeliever said:

Of course they aren't the same, and neither is illegal drinking, or driving too fast, or watching a pirated movie...I didn't bring irrelevant crimes into the conversation, you did...

Guess the concept of degree of severity is lost on you.

10 minutes ago, justicebeliever said:

I think what they meant was that people who break the rules themselves shouldn't cast stones at others.  At least that is how I understood it.

54 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

You're trying to compare someone making a cosplay to a real life stabbing?  really?

You tried to compare "drinking underage" with a less-serious act, after all ...

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

5 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

Degree is lost on you too it seems.  But feel free to keep doing illegal things and breaking rules yet telling others they shouldn't.  That's not being quasi hypocritical.  it's the real deal.

Edited by ZacKing

13 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

I think you're not looking at this in the correct context in order to avoid admitting you yourself have admittedly done illegal things in the past.  For you to sit here and say it is perfectly fine for you to be doing something wrong yet other people shouldn't do something you have done yourself is in fact hypocritical. 

11 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

Perhaps Marvel filed their lawsuit years ago because they were looking to get into the MMO marketplace and wanted to quash the competition?

The one and only reason is because they were a failing company that badly needed cash and NCSoft had money to potentially make it worth their time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blastit said:

Is it even illegal to log into the game like we do? I mean, how are we legally distinct from someone who never uninstalled CoH or who used their old discs?

It's probably not illegal logging in and playing the game, though even if it is nobody is going to go after the end users. If they wanted I suppose NCSoft could go after former players since we all agreed to an EULA years and years ago, though I have no idea if something like that is still enforceable. 

Everyone seeding the torrent is absolutely committing copyright infringement though, assuming that torrent has NCSoft IP somewhere in it. I actually don't know the contents of the torrent, but I feel it's likey using NCSoft IP.

It occurs to me that, when discussions regarding the game we love, degenerate into arguments that only divide us over something that used to bring us together;  well, it's regrettable, and we should take a breath.

Let's remember why we are here, and we will play the game. 😎

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 3

What was no more, is REBORN!

9 hours ago, Abraxus said:

It occurs to me that, when discussions regarding the game we love, degenerate into arguments that only divide us over something that used to bring us together;  well, it's regrettable, and we should take a breath.

Well, of course it would occur to you! You're a filthy game lover. Some of us just like to treat it with affectionate respect.

(In case no one gets my brand of humor, I'm making a joke about tribal thinking...)

• Haha 2

Forgive me for not reading through all 24 pages to see if this has been brought up or not ...

If this whole thing ends up really happening, what will happen to the smaller independant servers that are not involved in these talks?

Marijuanaut | Man of Granite | Xuku

4 minutes ago, dude_242 said:

Forgive me for not reading through all 24 pages to see if this has been brought up or not ...

If this whole thing ends up really happening, what will happen to the smaller independant servers that are not involved in these talks?

They would not be included in whatever transaction that the Titan Network & Homecoming finalizes, as they are not involved in the talks now.  I am sure they could continue to run in "rogue" status

14 minutes ago, dude_242 said:

That depends on the deal reached.

If the deal is more of an "open license", and those smaller servers conform to it's requirements, then .... they keep operating, mostly as they currently are.

If the deal is specific only to HomeComing and the Titan Network, however, then those small servers would probably start receiving Cease-and-Desist letters, followed shortly by DMCA takedown notices sent to their hosting services.

Obviously, we should all be hoping for an "open license" approach.  🙂

• Like 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

PURE SPECULATION:

NCSoft's other games may get advertised by the launcher, or via in-game means (e.g., by replacing a few static billboards).  That provides NCSoft with a tangible benefit in return for letting these servers continue to operate.

11 minutes ago, Remidi said:

Ah, yes, on topic.  Well, my plan is to keep playing the game until they tall us something definitive.  I must say, however, the continuing work on the beta server is very encouraging.

Agreed. Starting Friday, I’m going on a binge after my extended break (what the Nats call “vacation”).

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

I've jokingly posted in this thread a few times (apologies for taking part in derailments), but I'll put my serious 2 influence in. After COH, Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault (which I really enjoyed), I will say that I'm still a bit wary of NCSoft. I do, however, trust the Homecoming team. 

When I heard COH was back, I did my research before diving in and letting others know it was back. Some lambasted the Score team for keeping their sever a secret for years and all I could think was " Can you blame them?".  

Even knowing I could just be setting myself up for imminent DOOOOOOM, I liked what I saw and came on board. Since then, I've been very impressed with what I've seen and the direction the Homecoming team is trying to take the game. 

Tldr; I have faith in the Homecoming team and am perfectly willing to wait, play and see. 

• Like 2

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

37 minutes ago, Skyhawke said:

I've jokingly posted in this thread a few times (apologies for taking part in derailments), but I'll put my serious 2 influence in. After COH, Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault (which I really enjoyed), I will say that I'm still a bit wary of NCSoft. I do, however, trust the Homecoming team. 

When I heard COH was back, I did my research before diving in and letting others know it was back. Some lambasted the Score team for keeping their sever a secret for years and all I could think was " Can you blame them?".  

Even knowing I could just be setting myself up for imminent DOOOOOOM, I liked what I saw and came on board. Since then, I've been very impressed with what I've seen and the direction the Homecoming team is trying to take the game. 

Tldr; I have faith in the Homecoming team and am perfectly willing to wait, play and see. 

Another "there it is in a nutshell" post IMHO!  Thanks for summing it up so succinctly!  I'm sure it would have taken me 3 paragraphs to articulate the same sentiment. 😉

• Haha 1

What was no more, is REBORN!