An Update from The Homecoming Team

Jimmy

23 minutes ago, Korbian said:

Noooooo!  How will continue to tease TonyV about the D? 🤣

After all, without the D Homecoming is sure to fail.

...I may or may not still be pondering /petitioning for my supergroup on Everlasting to be changed to "the unnegotiated D" or something.

Everlasting server - Sister Pistols and the Perma-Newbies SG

I went silent on the topic a week ago, and while I've watched from the bleachers, I stand by that decision.  What is known, is all that CAN be known at this point.  You are either good with it, or you're not.  Further debate served no purpose, other than to potentially antagonize folks that I really like talking to in these forums, Jubakumbi included. 

After 28 pages of comments, I think we've talked this one out to the extent possible.  Unless we want to keep talking about the D.  Then, let's keep it rolling! 😉

What was no more, is REBORN!

4 minutes ago, Korbian said:

To be fair, I don't know that we have actual proof that Flea is Reynolds. 😜

We don't have proof that Flea is NOT! And with the absence of evidence not equaling the evidence of absence we can deduce the Bionic Flea is in fact Deadpool's actor, Ryan Reynolds!

• Like 3
I'm out.

2 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

We don't have proof that Flea is NOT! And with the absence of evidence not equaling the evidence of absence we can deduce the Bionic Flea is in fact Deadpool's actor, Ryan Reynolds!

I can neither confirm nor deny this flawed (or is it flawless) logic.

Just a total aside, I would shit an actual cinderblock - to hell with pissant little nothings like mere bricks - if it turned out Flea really was Reynolds.  I mean, seriously ... who here would not be absolutely gobsmacked by that?  🤣

• Haha 2

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

14 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

Just a total aside, I would shit an actual cinderblock - to hell with pissant little nothings like mere bricks - if it turned out Flea really was Reynolds.  I mean, seriously ... who here would not be absolutely gobsmacked by that?  🤣

I absolutely would be.  But, I know it can't be, and here's why. 

Historically, the Universe sees to it that those kinds of titanic things don't come with a nautical mile of me, or anyone I know.  So, if history is any guide, we are entertaining a tantalizing indulgence of fantasy, and nothing more.  But, wait....Hold the freakin' phone!  I pined away for 7 years when CoH shut-down, and dreamed of playing it again, and here I am playing it!!!  So, perhaps I just didn't recognize a change in fortune for what it was, and my life will be henceforth be filled with huge (positive) happenings!  So, yeah!  Why not!

Welcome Rya...I mean Flea!

• Haha 3

What was no more, is REBORN!

I mean, perhaps not as titanic as Reynolds, I found out the significance of the fact that I had been in a roleplay global channel with Mercedes Lackey back on Live when my spouse showed me one of Mercedes' books.

And now I'm replying to your message, so . . . three degrees of separation?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MetaVileTerror said:

I had been in a roleplay global channel with Mercedes Lackey

... I'd actually be more envious of this, than if it had been someone like Reynolds or Cumberbatch.  I'm a huuuuge fan of her Valdemar novels.  🙂

• Like 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Well, maybe she's here, and I'll bump into her someday (and actually know I have).  🙂

On 8/23/2019 at 5:28 PM, PaxArcana said:

if it turned out Flea really was Reynolds.  I mean, seriously ... who here would not be absolutely gobsmacked by that?  🤣

Me.  He might be a celebrity, but he is just a person just like the rest of us.  I would treat him the same way I try to treat everyone (with respect).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2019 at 9:19 AM, Rathulfr said:

The only snag is that this would change Homecoming from a non-profit to a for-profit, which I don't think they want to do -- see other replies from them above.  I think that the HC team is trying to avoid the whole microtransaction nonsense entirely.  It's a hassle they don't need, and they know it would turn off a lot of people.  So it's probably better just to avoid it entirely.

Path of Exile is the model I would hope for.

Free - as in complacently, totally, free to play, no restrictions.

There are a lot of items in their store -- none of which affect game play. The closest it come is the ability to buy more bank space. 

POE Sells, and stays quite viable as a business, costumes, pets, auras, custom FX for powers, etc.

I would buy micro transactions along those lines. This game is built around custom appearances. 

People keep saying NCSoft wont get anything out of this, a point I do not agree with. Having worked for (and currently) a number of large corporations (fortune 500 large) it isnt just about Profit. Even the most money grubbing and evil of all companies I worked for was also worried, a lot, about Brand and Image. NCSoft took a big hit to both closing COx and stands to gain a fair bit of goodwill back if they choose to work with HC or take a second hit if they do not. I know I have not purchased an NCSoft product since GW II (no xpacks) no matter how tempting it was. I doubt I am the only one with a personal embargo that could be lifted. Be nice to see more of the GW II world someday.

There are ways HC can deliver a true free to play game, new billboard add software, as others have pointed out DATA (DATA is really big right now in the corporate world, or at least the parts I see) micro trans for costumes and other items that dont affect game play. 

It would be better if HC had $10 million to hand over (I have read that was the original asking price for COH) but if wishes were fishes......

Anyhow, my thoughts of the moment. I get a lot of people are venting frustrations, having access once again to our beloved game the talk of talks brings up a fair amount of anxiety. 

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

1 hour ago, Lockpick said:

Me.  He might be a celebrity, but he is just a person just like the rest of us.  I would treat him the same way I try to treat everyone (with respect).

I hear you.  I'm 63 years old, I've met my heroes, I've met celebrities, I've walked in the "corridors of power"... they're all just people, just like the ones in your neighborhood.  Some are jerks, some are cool, some are smart, some are dumb... just people like that guy down the street -- you know who I'm talking about. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2019 at 12:19 PM, Rathulfr said:

The only snag is that this would change Homecoming from a non-profit to a for-profit, which I don't think they want to do -- see other replies from them above.  I think that the HC team is trying to avoid the whole microtransaction nonsense entirely.  It's a hassle they don't need, and they know it would turn off a lot of people.  So it's probably better just to avoid it entirely.

Just wanted to point out that this, in no way, would invalidate HC's putative non-profit status.  The Girl Scouts don't give away cookies and ask for donations; they sell cookies.  I know of a number of SciFi/Fantasy conventions that are are 501(c)(3) educational organizations; they still require a paid admission/membership to attend.  Non-profits are absolutely allowed to use "conventional" business activities to generate income, it's what they do with the money that's the real stickler.

Edited by doc_miller
  • Like 4

A possibility for regular fundraising, would be a subscription system, with tiers.  Something like:

For free ("Bronze"), you get:

• 10 character slots
  • unlimited playtime

For $2/month ("Silver"), you get:

• 30 character slots
  • new characters can start in Praetoria
  • new characters start with a 50% increase in Merit rewards for 3 days

For $5/month ("Gold"), you get:

• 50 character slots
  • new characters may start off as EATs and VEATs (otherwise, they are unlocked the old-fashioned way)
  • new characters start with a 100% increase in Merit rewards for 5 days
  • new characters start with a 50% increase to earned Influence for 5 days

You could also separate out costume pieces, somewhat.  Like, at Bronze you get everything that was free for owners of CoH and CoV during Live; Silver gets half of the remaining pieces; Gold gets tthe rest, including the CE parts.   And then, you could reinstate the Loyalty program.  Bronze players don't accumulate time at all, while Silver players accrue time at 1:1 and Gold players at 2:1 rates.

🙂  
I'd definitely pitch in at the $2 level, maybe even the $5 level.  🙂 

Edited by PaxArcana

18 hours ago, doc_miller said:

Just wanted to point out that this, in no way, would invalidate HC's putative non-profit status.  The Girl Scouts don't give away cookies and ask for donations; they sell cookies.  I know of a number of SciFi/Fantasy conventions that are are 501(c)(3) educational organizations; they still require a paid admission/membership to attend.  Non-profits are absolutely allowed to use "conventional" business activities to generate income, it's what they do with the money that's the real stickler.

In fact, some types of non-profits are required to charge for stuff...A social organization 501(c)(7), needs to collect member dues, and not donations...Not that HC can go that route, there are other reasons a 501(c)(7) won't work for HC (has to limit membership, has to allow for personal contact between all members, and can't be open to the public)

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting