As an MM I am MAD about this player behavior - the runahead guy

Pherdnut

WTF!? Who is this guy? We're not running a farm here. Why are you running ahead of the group to such an extreme that there's actually like a line of triangles behind you depicting people dealing with the aftermath? If there are subgroups behind you dealing with your BS, that is not a tank, or a scrapper, or a brute, that is an a-hole. Kindly stick to solo if you want to play in this manner. You are not acting in the spirit of CoH. You offend me. I think you should feel like a  jerk if you really thought about it.

But if you played as MM, it would train you. You can't just run away from  your guys and expect them to live. Stop being a jackass. Play an MM. THEN play a melee lead in a group.

Edited by Pherdnut
  • Haha 3

I get the rant but let's be honest, Masterminds are always leaving their pets behind...always. 😊

Playing an MM won't cure the Team Sonic 'gotta go fast' only a series of face plants will cure that racer.

But also you have the power to leave any team at any time for any reason. 

Game global: @Alty  || Discord: @Alty#2005

Founding member of Repeat Offenders Network  - Making stupidly difficult things easy since 2005 

Global Channel: Repeat Offenders  || Website: www.repeat-offenders.net

📢RETRO RO Teaming  - Details in the Repeat Offenders Club

I play tankers often.  I view my role as providing an umbrella of protection for the team.  If you decide you don't need it, no skin off my nose.  I figure that players know their characters and what they can handle. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I often run out ahead of the team's Tank with my MMs, because they're usually built to be able to easily survive alphas, and I don't want to turn off bodyguard mode. So I *want* to take the alpha, so my pets in defensive mode flag all the enemies as targets and start attacking. So that I don't have to micro them and can focus on debuffing.

It works fine. I almost never die. And the team doesn't need me around for cleanup of the last few mobs, they need me debuffing the new, full strength spawns.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/8/2019 at 2:54 AM, Pherdnut said:

But if you played as MM, it would train you. You can't just run away from  your guys and expect them to live. Stop being a jackass. Play an MM. THEN play a melee lead in a group.

I wouldn't run ahead if I wasn't confident in both my ability to survive, and the team's - and your - ability to survive.  Mastermind pets are squishy and unintelligent; players are not.  I can absolutely expect my teammates to be able to not merely fight but thrive.  If there's a problem then I hang back, if it's an Incarnate TF then I hang back, if it's a +1 Imperious TF then I'm plowing into every mob I see like a freight train.

• Like 1

As a Scrapper main I eat a steady diet of crayons and glue to keep my wits sharp and my reflexes honed.

I recently teamed with this guy who promised, promised everyone on the PUG a million Inf if he died, he was so sure.  He would run ahead like two, three, four rooms at a time.  Plus you can guess what happened to him, multiple times.  He ended up dropping out wordlessly, without paying anything.  🙂 

Running ahead and riling up mobs without dealing with them yourself is something a jerk move.  Despite being careful, it's easy for players behind you to come around a corner only to realize some mobs are standing right there, or worse, running towards them.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Yeah well, my Mastermind builds can generally solo +4/x8, so on a team I can hold the spawn until the Tank shows up pretty easily. The only way I die is if I get just stupefyingly unlucky and the pets take too long to catch up to me. Almost never happens though. 

And I only jump ahead by one spawn, when the current spawn is nearly completely finished off. And I'm actually softening them up for the team, eating the alpha and applying my debuffs.

• 2 weeks later
On 8/9/2019 at 11:31 AM, Zumberge said:

Mastermind pets are squishy and unintelligent; players are not.

It was my experience, back on Live, that my Robot minions were smarter than about half of the actual human players out there ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

If you're going to run ahead,

Then you leave a trail of dead.

Just saying, that's proper etiquette in the realm of being "that guy." If you're going to do it, do it well, and make the team envious, don't do it poorly, and end up angering people. I've had plenty of scenarios playing my Scrapper where I'm pushing the team forward as politely as I can at encouraging speeds, even racing to the next spawn as the last body is dying in the previous one. I've even had Tanks defer to me on alpha because waiting for them was slowing us (sic: me) down. But never leave the team hanging, and don't leave a littered field of living between you, that's just unprofessional.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, PaxArcana said:

It was my experience, back on Live, that my Robot minions were smarter than about half of the actual human players out there ...

When I play a Mastermind, i am just running my team with seven more pets.

• Like 3

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

On 8/8/2019 at 5:25 AM, Alty said:

Masterminds are always leaving their pets behind...always.

We will have to agree to disagree. As a MM primary that is my one main goal. Pet control.(that's suppose to be a period the you say period on, but I'm not trying to be a prick only funny, so.... I seys it like dis.)

Great... But I'm referring to game mechanics. They're coded to trail behind their 'masters'.  They rarely keep up. 

I 'member way back in the olden days, MM pet corpses used to pile up at the mission doors, trams, base entrances, everywhere... Piles upon piles of castaway pets. Heh, dead undead zombies corpses. 

Edited by Alty

Game global: @Alty  || Discord: @Alty#2005

Founding member of Repeat Offenders Network  - Making stupidly difficult things easy since 2005 

Global Channel: Repeat Offenders  || Website: www.repeat-offenders.net

📢RETRO RO Teaming  - Details in the Repeat Offenders Club

On 8/25/2019 at 4:56 PM, Alty said:

I 'member way back in the olden days, MM pet corpses used to pile up at the mission doors, trams, base entrances, everywhere... Piles upon piles of castaway pets. Heh, dead undead zombies corpses. 

They still do that. The just auto-summon once in the mission.