What are my options for challenging content?

Illy

Any content that could "challenge" someone whose character is at the bleeding edge of the power curve - or worse, actually stop them cold in their tracks - would be content that 99.99% of the playerbase would never even see, because it would be SO far above them that they would never bother to try.

And I'm probably overestimating how many people would see and/or play that content.

• Like 2

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

52 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

Any content that could "challenge" someone whose character is at the bleeding edge of the power curve - or worse, actually stop them cold in their tracks - would be content that 99.99% of the playerbase would never even see, because it would be SO far above them that they would never bother to try.

And I'm probably overestimating how many people would see and/or play that content.

Yup, that's the great thing about CoX. You can pretty much determine your own challenge level by how you build your character. Honestly, even if I could take the content that'd challenge a bleeding edge build or stop them dead, I wouldn't enjoy doing it.

But, really. Yes, you have to lower your build power for more challenge. And that's a good thing. Content should not be blocked from the majority of the player base just to make the number crunchers feel special.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, THEDarkTyger said:

Yup, that's the great thing about CoX. You can pretty much determine your own challenge level by how you build your character. Honestly, even if I could take the content that'd challenge a bleeding edge build or stop them dead, I wouldn't enjoy doing it.

But, really. Yes, you have to lower your build power for more challenge. And that's a good thing. Content should not be blocked from the majority of the player base just to make the number crunchers feel special.

Its not about feeling special, its about actually engaging your mind and being stimulated. Chess is stimulating for that reason. I don't think your casual chess player is ever accused of being a hardcore gamer for these reasons. But I can agree to disagree.

Anyway, I have my answer now. Nerf yourself or no challenge. 

12 hours ago, Illy said:

Its not about feeling special, its about actually engaging your mind and being stimulated.

Except, as I stated previously, the problem is that if you're that good at the game, and have that bleeding-edge a character build?

Anything that was made which could give you that challenge, would be useless to 99.99% or more of the playerbase.  It would, quite literally, be a complete waste of developer time and energy to make.

You need to simply accept that you have "beat the game", and move on.

And in the meantime, please note that neither I nor TheDarkTyger said anything about "feeling special".  That's all on you, and honestly, that fact makes me think you actually do want to feel special / "more l33t" than the rest of us (or however the kids spell that).  (I was wrong about this paragraph.)

12 hours ago, Illy said:

Chess is stimulating for that reason. I don't think your casual chess player is

If you are so far above the curve in CoX that you even have to ask how to increase challenge - after already doing all the things people suggested other than "nerfing" yourself - then "casual chess player" is not an appropriate comparison.

Instead, try Fischer or Kasparov.  Who would not be challenged at the local middle-school chess club, or by a random stranger in the park.

Edited by PaxArcana
Admitting error is .... good for me? I guess? :D
  • Like 4

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

24 minutes ago, Illy said:

Its not about feeling special, its about actually engaging your mind and being stimulated. Chess is stimulating for that reason. I don't think your casual chess player is ever accused of being a hardcore gamer for these reasons. But I can agree to disagree.

Anyway, I have my answer now. Nerf yourself or no challenge. 

You want to challenge yourself? You want chess? Play a FF/AR Defender SOLO 1-50 at +4/x8.

Amd here's the spice of the challenge - the only pool powers you can take are fast travel powers, no combat jumping or Hover nonsense. 

• Like 2
I'm out.

3 hours ago, Illy said:

I brought up SG bases because its something to "work toward", and it can take a really, really long time, and was quite fun. I don't see badge collecting or IO stacking in the same way personally, but that's a nuanced point. That can all be done solo-- to really deck out a base required a feat of social engineering (it was more of an MMO endeavour, not a single-player-RPG endeavour, in the way IO's or badge collecting is). 

If badge collecting could all be done solo I'd have all the Master of badges by now.  I don't.  Because they all require a team, sometimes a team of 24 people, all of whom have to be coordinated or the badge fails.

Whereas you could earn a ton of prestige by solo farming.

Edited by Eva Destruction
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Illy said:

Its not about feeling special, its about actually engaging your mind and being stimulated.

And you can do that by making your own challenges. The game doesn't need to lock out 99.9999% of the players just so you can feel "stimulated". And if that's what you want, then it damn well is about you feeling "special" no matter what you say.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

And int he meantime, please note that neither I nor TheDarkTyger said anything about "feeling special".  That's all on you, and honestly, that fact makes me think you actually do want to feel special / "more l33t" than the rest of us (or however the kids spell that).

Nope, its not all on me. I was quoting the person who posted above me, who said that higher difficulty was for number crunchers who wanted to feel special. Read. 

1 minute ago, THEDarkTyger said:

And you can do that by making your own challenges. The game doesn't need to lock out 99.9999% of the players just so you can feel "stimulated". And if that's what you want, then it damn well is about you feeling "special" no matter what you say.

You need to relax. The game doesn't have to lock out 99% of players so that they can add challenging content. I have no idea why this is a zero sum game to you, nor why my preference for difficult content clearly offends you so much. Take a chill pill dude. 

2 minutes ago, Illy said:

You need to relax. The game doesn't have to lock out 99% of players so that they can add challenging content.

If its content that provides a challenge to the best of the best players, there's no other way to do it.

I have no idea why this is a zero sum game to you, nor why my preference for difficult content clearly offends you so much.

It's not about your preference for difficult content. It's about your absolute refusal to accept the suggestions on how to find challenges because they involve you not having the best of the best build.

Edited by THEDarkTyger
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Illy said:

Nope, its not all on me. I was quoting the person who posted above me, who said that higher difficulty was for number crunchers who wanted to feel special. Read. 

No, I said difficulty so steep that it challenges the best of the best players locks out the majority of the player base and, thus, only serves to make the number crunchers feel special. Not just higher difficulty in general. You want "git gud" content, go play effing Dark Souls.

So people who want a challenge are actually egotistical nerds who want to feel special. Maybe make a coherent argument instead of projecting the pointless vitriole you have for a different demographic of players. 

I didn't even ask the developers to change the game on this thread, I literally just asked if there was any challenging content that I'm not aware of. Maybe you should ask yourself why that innocuous question offends you. It would be a valuable opportunity for personal growth. 

No, I said difficulty so steep that it challenges the best of the best players locks out the majority of the player base and, thus, only serves to make the number crunchers feel special. Not just higher difficulty in general. You want "git gud" content, go play effing Dark Souls.

Wtf is your problem? Do you have rabies? Why are you upset that I am merely asking whether or not there is difficult content in this game?

2 minutes ago, Illy said:

So people who want a challenge are actually egotistical nerds who want to feel special.

Those who want it to the point that it excludes the vast majority of the player base, yes.

1 minute ago, Illy said:

Wtf is your problem? Do you have rabies? Why are you upset that I am merely asking whether or not there is difficult content in this game?

I'm not, and you can put that strawman back up your #$% where you got it. I'm upset at your reaction to people's suggestions on how to challenge yourself.

Those who want it to the point that it excludes the vast majority of the player base, yes.

I'm not, and you can put that strawman back up your #$% where you got it. I'm upset at your reaction to people's suggestions on how to challenge yourself.

Lol, you are upset. Calling it a strawman can't help you avoid that. You insulted me from the outset and have been aggressive in every post. Don't play dumb just because someone noticed. 

4 minutes ago, Illy said:

Lol, you are upset. Calling it a strawman can't help you avoid that.

"I'm upset" wasn't the strawman. Your fabricated reason why I was upset was.

You insulted me from the outset

No I didn't.

and have been aggressive in every post

And you've been arrogant and condescending toward people suggesting how to challenge yourself from the outset.

8 hours ago, Apparition said:

The biggest challenge in this or any other online multi-player game is to successfully herd enough cats for long enough to successfully complete a raid or iTrial.

As such (while in fact I'm all in favour) the change to make the eight glowies in the Cavern of Transcendence clickable one at a time was clearly terrible from the point of view of challenge. 🙂

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Get rid of the sidekick level malus and the 5-level exemplar power grace.

I am not even sure why you are all arguing...because all of you are right...

If you play to win in this game, and build the best possible build, you are going to quickly find that the content isn't that much of a challenge...Anyone who's been on these forums, has seen post after post of "I solo'ed a whole bunch at +4/x8".  The AI for most of the content in the game just isn't that difficult...So if you are the competitive sort who want's to build the best they can and still be challenged, you won't find that here in PvE.

The only solution?  Yes, to nerf yourself...It's 100% true..."Master of" badges are about handicapping yourself for specific challenges...

And yes, it would be possible to make something harder, and I frankly hope they do, because I would love a more challenging AI in the game...but it would be expensive to develop, and most players might not ever see the value in it, but many would (this whole 99.99% it total hyperbole, and those of you saying know that) - same can be said with PvP, City of Villains, Going Rogue, etc...there are just so many parts of the game that cater to a smaller audience...

It what it is, and all of you are right...so apart from assuming the worst of each other and nitpicking who said what, when, look at what you are really saying here...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

17 minutes ago, justicebeliever said:

this whole 99.99% it total hyperbole, and those of you saying know that

If you want content that provides a challenge to the best of the best players? It absolutely is not hyperbole to say that it would exclude the vast majority of the player base.

It's hyperbole, because nowhere was anyone asking for the best of the best content out there...

Better content, better challenges <> "best of the best"...

The OP doesn't sound elitist...he sounds like most of the veteran incarnates who post on the forums...so more challenges would benefit most of them, not one of them...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

1 hour ago, THEDarkTyger said:

Well, actually, I did. And I stand by it.

I sit corrected.