Can The Negativity Stop? PLEASE!

1 hour ago, PaxArcana said:

So, while NCSoft gets a sliver of the blame for those games' failure ... they only get a sliver.  The developers in both cases get the lion's share of it.

The problem for me is that the Developer did not sell me a faulty product, NCSoft did, knowing it was a faulty product. I bought it on the premise that it's faults would be fixed over time, that is how MMOs work. Instead NCSoft kept it on life support, making as much money as they felt they could and then shut it down, leaving me with a product that never really worked right, and was now not working at all.

As for WildStar, GM Sijin is pretty spot on, and when he says

47 minutes ago, GM Sijin said:

The player housing, though? That was something else.

I think he means Fan-fricken-tastic.

NCSoft should have been able to keep WildStar running on it's player housing alone.

• Retired Game Master

Fun Capocollo fact: I played Wildstar for like a week at launch and bounced off it because attunement sucked and the gear treadmill was nonsense, and then forgot about it.  A year later after the Wildstar subreddit’s mods self destructed over the game going F2P, the remaining couple mods put out an open recruitment thread for new mods, and as a joke I posted there saying that as someone who doesn’t play the game, I’d be able to remain perfectly objective compared to everyone else there who was biased towards their archetype or play style 

I expected to get downvoted or banned from the sub but they called my bluff and made me one of the new class of mods instead 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, GM Capocollo said:

[...] as a joke I posted there saying that as someone who doesn’t play the game, I’d be able to remain perfectly objective [...]

... you may have been joking, but that is absolutely 100% accurate.  Without any personal investment in the discussions themselves, impartiality would be MUCH easier to maintain.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

3 hours ago, Black Zot said:

Not for long, if NCSoft is involved.  They killed it once, just for daring to be something other than a Korean-style grindfest.  They WILL kill it again, given the opportunity, for the exact same reason.

You're all forgetting (or unaware of) the reasons for the closure. Back then, when I heard about sunset I ran and got the quarterly earnings report. I looked at how much they were making from different games at the time. I followed what was going on with their business in different parts of the world. Note that C.o.X. was not one of their more profitable games for several quarters running. Note that they had just launched a new Korean-style M.M.O. in Korea and had shipped but not opened the game in Japan. The Korean release had not turned enough profit to pay for the Japanese release. They would have had to turn the servers off due to bankruptcy anyway. The company cannibalized the servers C.o.X. was running on to cut costs for the Japanese launch. You and I can look at not keeping the player data as a mistake, but business school tells you C.o.X. players will just migrate to your new games (which is not true, but business school tells you to think that way).

Hey, N.C.Soft were stupid. They shouldn't have caused bad P.R., but they were an Asia-based company so they fell prey to the same cognitive biases as the bigger company that came before them. N.C.Soft made the same mistakes Nintendo made with Nintendo of America during the rise of Sega, and in Japan with the rise of Playstation, and again in America with the rise of XBox, and again everywhere with the rise of the later generation Playstation consoles, until Nintendo was reduced to making portables because nobody else ever focused on control of the portables market... and they ignored their American fans for so long that now they're releasing fan mods as their official releases.

Yeah, they'll make unpopular decisions from time to time. You're right to assess them based on a combination of prior performance and recent events... just like the human mind is wired to do. Why should we care? Because businesses are composed of human beings and policies. Garbage in, garbage out. They never learned from others' mistakes.

On 8/10/2019 at 3:15 AM, reconfigureyourface said:

Maybe TRUST the people who got you back into the game (with super populated shards) and whose servers you are playing on, instead of being Debbie Downers and smack talking their efforts.

I trust them to try.

But I DON'T trust NCSoft.

PERIOD.

Sorry if that's too negative for you.

• Like 5

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

18 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

When I learn about someone carrying this level of vitriol for an entire organization, based on the actions of just a couple of it's employees

Just bear in mind that what you see as the actions of "just a couple of [...] employees", others see as indicators of overall company culture and tactics, especially with incidents that are escalated through support levels and met with similar treatment at each level.  Even more so once other people relate similar experiences with other representatives of the company.  At some point, it builds beyond the case of just a few bad apples in the company to becoming evidence of the methods the company uses for conducting its day to day operations, and the way that the company treats its customers as a whole. 

18 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

The whole 'brand loyalty' / 'brand warfare' thing to me, even though I engage in it as a consumer, is in fact kind of silly at the same time as it is effective.

What you call "silly" is oftentimes the only recourse a consumer has for effecting change.  If someone doesn't like the way a company operates, the most effective option is to withhold their money.  Only when enough people do the same do companies tend to listen and realize their errors.  Continuing to patronize a company whose practices you disagree with does nothing to discourage their actions.  Calling people "silly" for exercising what they see as their best (and often only) logical option is part of why you come off as insulting and/or trollish.  Once you start labeling the actions of others with your personal judgments of their choices, you set the ground for an antagonistic encounter.  It makes your search for knowledge appear less than genuine, as it indicates you've closed yourself off to understanding their perspective.  An exchange of ideas cannot take place without open minds.

14 hours ago, GM Fiddleback said:

And you also assume facts not in evidence.

"Fool me once," and all that; people get tired of being burned and don't like to set themselves up for repeat abuse.  I think there is enough evidence of past behavior to warrant caution at the least, and to justify some patience for those who choose to exercise such caution to avoid future pain.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 8/11/2019 at 11:52 AM, Harris said:

No offense pax but I'm starting to see why you were banned. You probably behaved like this on the forums on live. 

There’s a saying, and I’ll try to adjust it a bit here but....

“When everyone around you seems like a jerk, you are probably the jerk”

• Like 3