PSA: Offensive Opportunity

Sunsette

So, hey, Offensive Opportunity gets worse. I decided to do some more tests, since I better understand how the mechanics work. Offensive Opportunity seems to function exactly like a proc IO, it does not scale with anything except for -res. At the moment, I'm seeing very little reason to use the T1 at level 50 outside of solo AV kills for any powerset; I'd estimate with Assault Core you're looking at like a 4% contribution to damage from Offensive Opportunity.1 Special callout to Beam Rifle on that front, as the T1 gets -regen for BR. It's still a pretty big chunk of damage at low levels so you can go either/or then.

I should emphasize that this perspective is looking just at Opportunity itself, calculations may change if the T1 or T2 are part of your standard rotation. However, the best builds I've put together for the two damage powersets I've looked at most closely, Beam RIfle and Energy Blast, ignore the T1 or T2 as part of the standard rotation.

1 Here's the napkin math: Including enhancements, musculature, assault (leadership) and assault core and at least +10% in IO set +dam, you're doing around 260% to 400% damage at any given time with about 50% uptime on the variable parts. Average is 330%. Offensive Opportunity is 20% with 60% uptime, so let's call it 12%, 12/330 = 3.6%. So this number gets a tiny bit worse including procs and interface.

Edited by Sunsette
  • Like 2

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

Both offensive and defensive boosts are kinda crap, and even if we didn't have the numbers, everyone who plays sents just knew that intuitively by now.

My Water/Bio Armor makes it super evident, because that build has no use for the endurance management Defensive gives, but at the same time benefits from having both T1 and T2 in order to build Water's specials.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, XaoGarrent said:

Both offensive and defensive boosts are kinda crap, and even if we didn't have the numbers, everyone who plays sents just knew that intuitively by now.

My Water/Bio Armor makes it super evident, because that build has no use for the endurance management Defensive gives, but at the same time benefits from having both T1 and T2 in order to build Water's specials.

Eh. I take your point, but disagree with the notion that defensive is bad -- I think it's not good enough considering it's supposed to be half of an equation, but it is doing its job fine. We do have a few secondaries that can be end hungry, I think most notably Energy Aura, and our resistance based secondaries take a steady trickle of damage that appreciates the heal. Bio, SR, Invuln, yeah, both are pretty extraneous to them.

Perhaps, the tier 1 and tier 2 thing can be combined, and the tier 1 and tier 2 can both trigger it?

So you get the offense and defense opportunity at the same time and one can decide if they take either the tier 1 or tier 2 or both, and still get the benefit.

Then perhaps take the -Resist Sentinels get and up it a bit or make it unresistable as the real part of their Inherent.

Honestly if they were combined so they did both effects at once, I'd have no complaints. It's a solid boost in damage and survivability at low levels, at endgame every bit of damage helps and getting like 2% health back with each target hit 60% of the time is a fairly solid insurance policy for if things suddenly go south.