Spaceships, Space Stations, Moonbases?

InfamousBrad

On 8/10/2019 at 9:23 PM, InfamousBrad said:

Has anybody built a spaceship, space station, or moonbase that they're proud of? I want to build something outer-space themed and I'm having a hard time getting inspired by the pieces we have.

I have a space ship that I've been building, though the exterior needs a lot of TLC to really look nice. 

It's near the flight ceiling above the base area, with the background set to "space" and interior lighting, so the only illumination comes from the interior lights. The SG is themed after a race of very small humanoids who hunt Rikti, so the ship is pretty cramped if you're used to really high ceilings (the hallway through the main deck is about 9 feet tall, so barely a foot above a max-height character). At the moment it's a fairly small ship, with only two decks (operations and living quarters above, hangar bay (with a shuttlecraft) and cargo bay below) and then the rear of the ship is a two-deck-high engine room. I'm using a rikti computer screen to generate a 'force field exit' from the shuttle bay to open space, so if you have flight you can step outside and fly around the ship.

Given that you can go 900 up but down to -2000, I might build a second ship below and move everything over to that one, and see about making a much larger vessel. I've pondered a space station as well, but given we can't put custom NPCs in there, I'd have to make it for a different group, or a human-run station.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eva Destruction said:

You can't just say that and not post pics.

I am also working on a space station but it's taking forever since I am hellbent on making it Not Square.

Yeah, building non-square areas is a pain in the ass. As for pics, I'll walk through and grab some tonight when I get home from work. :)

• Thanks 1

Okay, took some pictures. The character is one of my aliens, who's minimum height. For a max height person, the ship would be a little cramped. Which was the point. 🙂

The pictures don't really capture everything perfectly, since the lighting is dim (the aliens are from a low-light world), lots of slowly pulsing lights, etc. 

The rear corridor leading from the command hallway down to engineering and the shuttle bay.

A5ggRl8.jpg

Transport room.

LlXRHQa.jpg

Med-lab.

atrYRbq.jpg

Captain's quarters.

1XB0Oa2.jpg

Bridge.

ShojjKI.jpg

Part of engineering.

r7Jwysd.jpg

Shuttle bay, complete with shuttle. You can see one of the force screens to let smaller craft out of the bay on the left. The shuttle drops through a doorway in the floor, since it's too large to get out through the small fields. The other field on the right leads to the cargo bay (where all the crafting storage and stuff is).

uVpfnva.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, InfamousBrad said:

Nice. What item did you use for the inactive viewscreens?

On the bridge? Inactive mission computers. Just sunk the base of it into the floor (since there's no area under the bridge for them to clip into). It worked really well as a big viewscreen. :)

• 2 weeks later

Started building a "mark-2" version of my ship this week. It's about 3x the size, and I'm making the exterior look good as well as the interior. I'll grab some exterior pics (since that part's done) tonight, and then probably make a little video walkthrough when I'm done. :)

• Community Rep
  • Community Rep

There, now I can post more. Captain's quarters:

screenshot_190902-19-05-57.thumb.jpg.52d143ad0611c83cc025b43e81fb0fa1.jpg

One of the halls of crew quarters:screenshot_190902-19-07-16.thumb.jpg.740335b4a33ef7c60efd0499533a4b43.jpg

A crew room, shared quarters with a living area and bathroom, also a replicator in case you don't feel like going to the general cafeteria or restaurant/bar:

screenshot_190902-19-07-37.thumb.jpg.e2ef5fa14e5e257e1ef47a03e0581efe.jpg

Cafeteria

screenshot_190902-19-05-32.thumb.jpg.cf3516854f4742f7ea876b82ec2e2d17.jpg

Restaurant/bar/lounge:

screenshot_190902-19-08-13.thumb.jpg.2f06c8eb9f10e114d82065fcccfef11a.jpgscreenshot_190902-19-08-21.thumb.jpg.704d46a72fa80777277132d992a80ec2.jpg

Exercise room with rock climbing wall 🙂

screenshot_190902-19-07-03.thumb.jpg.f46dd25719d64b9058437a589659aef9.jpg

-Dacy

• Like 1

After running into numerous frustrations with having the base builder not store the proper positions of items when I went to build my ship down at the -1600 mark or so, I junked it and started rebuilding within the base confines instead. I'm going to have the interior be within the base area, and "airlocks" leading from inside to the exterior of the ship via portals. I came up with a pretty decent (if I say so myself) airlock combo of an arachnos doorway spun around so the empty back of it is facing outwards, and a portal placed in the circle opening, which fits perfectly. Makes a nice little circular airlock portal.

It's a huge project though, and I'm still in the process of laying the foundation of the ship decks. Once I get all that done, then decorated, I'll build the exterior of the ship outside the base confines, so people will have somewhere to port to via the airlocks and be able to float around the ship in 360 degrees. Given the sheer size of the thing it's going to take a while to build, and taking screenshots won't get the proper feel for it, I think, so I'm going to try and make a video walkthrough. Especially since the ship is for my tiny aliens, who are from a low-light world, thus the interior lighting is fairly dim.

Hopefully I'll have it done in a couple weeks. :)

Edited by WumpusRat