Defender Super Team

scarhead

8 of any mix or identical defenders will rock. Repeat Offenders literally made an entire network of SGs based on this theory! 😁 Buff/debuff stacking is amazing! 

The trick is figuring out the best tactics and powers selection for the team. 

Edited by Alty
  • Like 4

Game global: @Alty  || Discord: @Alty#2005

Founding member of Repeat Offenders Network  - Making stupidly difficult things easy since 2005 

Global Channel: Repeat Offenders  || Website: www.repeat-offenders.net

📢RETRO RO Teaming  - Details in the Repeat Offenders Club

You really would have to very deliberately have to try to build those defenders and their secondaries etc. to not succeed and I'm not sure you would succeed even then especially with 8 of them teamed.  Running out of patches isn't going to be a problem when that +4x8 mob is being vaporized before they manage to take a step or three.  I watched 7 defenders plus 1 controller plow into all four Patrons pre Incarnate powers, 4 of them Emps, doing a Masters run.   The Patrons went down quickly in succession.  One player momentarily 'blinked' red before their health slammed right back to max.   A few minutes later everyone who didn't have their Master badge had one.

No crashless nukes, no incarnates and while most had an IO build I'm certain overall they were less than highly optimized.  As a team they didn't need to be because of the insane amounts of stacked buffs and debuffs present. 

PS:  Really late edit but the team mentioned above was (as near as I recall from 10+ years ago) was an Emp/Rad, Emp/Dark, a 2nd Emp/Dark, Emp/?, Sonic/Sonic, Cold/Arch, ?/?, and 1 controller a Fire/Kin.  Pretty much capped for virtually everything.

Edited by Doomguide2005
To add team composition

• 2 weeks later

Late to the party--

Kleine Teufel and I started an all defender SG on Triumph in the fall of 2004, right after WoW subverted so many CoH players.

I have some random comments on the previous posts. Kinetic's buffs are well known, but it's a major debuffer, too. Did you know that siphon power and fulcrum shift can significantly reduce potential incoming damage? Did you know that Siphon Speed is an IRRESISTIBLE debuff after making the accuracy check?

Stacking a Dark and a Storm means you have stacked steamy mist and shadow fall, so the group in the overlapping buff zone is essentially invisible.

Skipping Traps from your mix of defenders is cuckoo for cocoa puffs. The -regen in traps is formidable. Traps represents well despite some  players frustration with placing  poison gas trap.

Stacking slows with freezing rain, keep the targets in place, tar patch, caltrops, lingering rad, snow storm (from storm or cold), neurotoxic breath - brings them to a screeching <near> halt. If you are playing positional and putting the foes where you want, a few well placed gales or shockwaves can move the bad guys back to the kill zones.

Don't forget that Forcefielders can protect from mezzes and endurance drain (remember the carnies, freakshow, malta?) A well-played Force Bubble is a rarity but can keep foes pinned in corners or against walls.

Folks, if you are unfamiliar with the debuff machine that is Dark Servant aka Fluffy, check out that Chill of the Night -tohit debuff. Fluffy doesn't use Tar Patch, but he does use Twilight Grasp

Additionally, -regen is particularly most useful at the start of boss fight. Howling Twilight, EM Pulse, the thermal debuffs, Nature affinity debuffs plus the usual lingering rad, twighlight grasp, Transfusion, envenom knock down the regen of tough targets FAST. HT and EM P don't need to recharge before the boss/AV is DEAD.

Liquefy isn't a stunning debuff, but it is very much underrated.

Trick Arrow is arguably a weak set to solo, but in groups the slows, -resistance, -regen, and the shiny Oil Slick complement the other defender's buffs and debuffs well. Disruption arrow is a solid debuff.

Poison is challenged to play solo, but it has some amazing single target debuffs. Suggestion: Poison users, lead off with neurotoxic breath for the chance to hold. The new kid in the defender stable, I don't know what the base numbers are on the tier 9 power PbAoE, Venomous Gas. Any new number crunchers have the base numbers for the -resistance, -defense -damage, -tohit?

I too, would enjoy joining an all Defender Superteam, with a defender from scratch or with some defenders I already have

• Like 1

Let's get one of these teams going. What do you say we first decide on the shard/server and then we will sign up for defender primaries, we don't need 5 Forcefielders or 5 sonics, but short of that let's get some variety and SYNERGY. We can start this weekend at say... level 10-12 fresh out of DFB

• 3 weeks later

I want this to happen so bad. Last night I was on a P:ositron, random group, 4 defenders, 2 corruptors, 1 controller and a stalker that was nearly invincible.

Let's shoot for a group in KR at Blue Steel 7PM Tuesday 12/17 EST on Everlasting

Edited by Psylenz0511

The Super group was formed 12/17/2019. We set up a global channel "Buffed Up". We haven't really set up any ground rules yet. There is a spartan base with teleporters, crafting tables, and a merit ATM with also rez circles. The SG is all defender, Everlasting Defenders. I am leaning to an all Corruptor SG in coalition with the defenders. That would be a sweet way to retain the identity of both groups and teaming through coalition and the global channels.

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2019 at 1:14 PM, Psylenz0511 said:

The Super group was formed 12/17/2019. We set up a global channel "Buffed Up". We haven't really set up any ground rules yet. There is a spartan base with teleporters, crafting tables, and a merit ATM with also rez circles. The SG is all defender, Everlasting Defenders. I am leaning to an all Corruptor SG in coalition with the defenders. That would be a sweet way to retain the identity of both groups and teaming through coalition and the global channels.

Man I'm so sorry I missed this. Going to join the channel though. 

41 minutes ago, tjknight said:

Man I'm so sorry I missed this. Going to join the channel though. 

Fairly certain Psylenz (or other leaders within the new sg) haven't closed the doors on adding other interested folks.  Call out in channel or send a tell and join the fun.  That's what I plan on doing.  

Been out of touch during the holidays, but I'm back now.  Thank you Psylenz0511 for getting this show on the road.  I'm gonna go ahead and roll a new Defender for this.  Is there any interest in sticking with a dedicated primary or secondary or just whatever?  I kinda have my eye on Storm/*

• 4 months later

Hi, folks, 

I am still alive after 2 Covid testings (both negative) and tax season at the CPA office. I am ready for more CoH gaming. I would like to do a superteam, just let me know what server what day. The SG on Everlasting is still there. I also made an SG and a base for the corruptors if there were interest in an all corruptor supergroup/team

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of my favorite things from when I played CoH in the original incarnation was my once-a-week hangout in an all Defender (OK, we had some controllers, too) Supergroup. What a blast a team of 4 or more of us could have.

If any of y'all have a buff based superteam going, I'd love to join in.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:40 PM, Rillion said:

Would love to do the very same if there's a group of players closer to the GMT +0 time zone - UK player here

If we ran at 2PM or 3PM on Sunday EST (New York Time) wouldn't that be 8 or 9PM GMT? I would love to make a transatlantic teamup happen

If I were designing an 8 man defender superteam, I would want:

A Forcefielder for maximum defense early on, near defense cap when level 25 enhancements are slottable.

A Dark Defender, which synergizes so well with max defense. It also has debuffs to incoming damage potential and damage resistance of foes, and Howling Twilight, the stun that also rezzes

A Storm Defender; with the knockback to knockdown IOs available some of the annoyance factor in storm is lessened.

A Kinetic defender; you know the buffs, but the -damage debuffs are too often overlooked.

A Traps defender; great buffs, even better debuffs with big -regen

The last 3 slots could be filled equally well by Cold, TA, Empathy, Thermal, Nature's Affinity, Poison, Sonic, and Radiation.

... we are going to need a league to fit all the goodness in