What pairs best with psi melee?

Mansome

I wanted to give this a try but was wondering which AT and secondary is best for psi melee. Is there any weird mechanics to consider when choosing what to play on this powerset? How bad is psi resist with this? Should I consider a secondary with a damage aura to help with the resistance issue?

Psi isn't resisted very much, but those that do resist it, generally resist it heavily. The insight mechanic I have found to be rather sporadic and difficult to build around. So I didn't plan my attack chain around maximizing it. If I noticed it popped up and Greater Psi Sword was available I'd use it, but that's about it. Personally I'm not a real fan of those big ass psychic punch animations, but you may feel different.

• Thanks 1

To the question, "What pairs best with _______", there is only one correct answer:

What sounds like it'd be fun to play?

:)

• Like 2

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Stalker Psi/ any number will work, my personal favorite is /ice as the -recharge stacks and it has very good defenses otherwise, it's the only secondary I tried on justin I could handle 54 rikti with.  My first was a /ninj which is nice for the early heal, but found the set underpowered and most of the utilities useless otherwise.  I tried a /bio which was quite good, much better than /ninj but no where near as good as /ice, I've heard it's great, but it requires some arcane knowledge of how to build I just don't have, and no one seems to be talking.  I've also heard of good results with /ea /rad /sd /sr.  /rad sound particularly interesting as it has an earlier PBAoE attack/debuff reasonably early (AoE is a bit lacking in /psi) and I have it on a brute and find it very sturdy, though the stalker version is missing the -to hit aura PBAoE which is concerning.  /sd also has it's teleport AoE, but it's the last power, small area, small damage and can't crit. 

Psi/ is really good on a stalker because it has some very heavy attacks, which do huge damage when critting from hide.   

It does have issues with robots/tech based and a lot of AVs and bosses end game.  If you're in a team your friends can deal with those targets while you deal with others - or ask for help or lower difficulty when you run across them which is what I did.  Psi does have a few end game targets it really hurts which can be barely touched by others - Minotaurs & Cyclopses in ITF for instance, is supposedly goes through MoG like butter, I haven't tested it there yet, but it'd be fun to kill Valkyrie while she's otherwise untouchable.   If you do go psi you definitely want to pick up some attacks from a patron or epic.  I rather thought moonbeam the soul snipe was really fun with it and can crit from hide, and great if you're soloing to help overcome those resistances, since it's negative energy it will hurt most things pretty well.  If you team you're probably better off with an aoe of some sort though.  I've also seen it suggested to try to get cross-punch from the fighting pool for some more aoe / non-psi damage too, though I don't think you can crit with the regular pool attacks.

3 hours ago, MrAxe said:

My main is a Shield/Psi Tank. Both sets have a damage buff and AoE's. Once you have Insight, Greater Psi Blade becomes an AoE (the description doesn't tell you this) which gives you a total of 3.

I never noticed my Greater Psi Blade doing any AoE damage. I've seen it do increased damage, but not AoE.

3 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

I never noticed my Greater Psi Blade doing any AoE damage. I've seen it do increased damage, but not AoE.

Take a look next time you use it with Insight. 'Insight Strike' will appear above the heads of all mobs in range and the psi damage of the attack will be done to them too.

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2019 at 3:20 PM, MrAxe said:

Take a look next time you use it with Insight. 'Insight Strike' will appear above the heads of all mobs in range and the psi damage of the attack will be done to them too.

I have tested this through several missions with my level 50 tier 4 alpha slotted Incarnate PM/WP brute. Never once saw "Insight Strike" over more than 1 enemy per attack. Each and every time, I was surrounded layers deep with bad guys. Only saw the one Insight strike, and three damage indicators, the two types that the attack has as base and the Insight extra damage.

Feel free to post some screenies of the AoE damage that you've been getting from GPB.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 3:18 PM, MunkiLord said:

Psi isn't resisted very much, but those that do resist it, generally resist it heavily. The insight mechanic I have found to be rather sporadic and difficult to build around. So I didn't plan my attack chain around maximizing it. If I noticed it popped up and Greater Psi Sword was available I'd use it, but that's about it. Personally I'm not a real fan of those big ass psychic punch animations, but you may feel different.

Actually if I recall right the best psi res mob in the game only hits 40% res, thouhg I seem to recall some saying there area  few outliers that hit 50%. Compare this to many mobs hitting much higher res of things like smash/lethal or the ever popular fire many mobs are basically full tanks to those types.

The single biggest advantage of psi is the lack of mobs resisting it, and some of the most hated mobs like clockworks being very soft to it. You want an easy synapse tf run bring all psi users.

I personally have a psi/energy stalker its ok not as fun as my SJ/Ninja stalker but not in any way a bad thing to play. Very thematic if your going for a psion that likes to get up close.

On 8/16/2019 at 3:20 PM, MrAxe said:

This only works for tankers - it seems to be a bug related to Gauntlet.

12 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

I have tested this through several missions with my level 50 tier 4 alpha slotted Incarnate PM/WP brute. Never once saw "Insight Strike" over more than 1 enemy per attack. Each and every time, I was surrounded layers deep with bad guys. Only saw the one Insight strike, and three damage indicators, the two types that the attack has as base and the Insight extra damage.

Feel free to post some screenies of the AoE damage that you've been getting from GPB.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2019 at 9:15 AM, MrAxe said:

My main is a Shield/Psi Tank. Both sets have a damage buff and AoE's. Once you have Insight, Greater Psi Blade becomes an AoE (the description doesn't tell you this) which gives you a total of 3.

Damage buffs go best with a scrapper so Psi/sd would be the way to go. More so if the bug for tanks ever get fixed.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

14 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

Damage buffs go best with a scrapper so Psi/sd would be the way to go. More so if the bug for tanks ever get fixed.

Depends on what role you want to play. To me Scrapper's just don't appeal. I'm still a good Tank with this combo.

On 8/19/2019 at 6:48 PM, Bentley Berkeley said:

Actually if I recall right the best psi res mob in the game only hits 40% res, thouhg I seem to recall some saying there area  few outliers that hit 50%. Compare this to many mobs hitting much higher res of things like smash/lethal or the ever popular fire many mobs are basically full tanks to those types.

The single biggest advantage of psi is the lack of mobs resisting it, and some of the most hated mobs like clockworks being very soft to it. You want an easy synapse tf run bring all psi users.

I personally have a psi/energy stalker its ok not as fun as my SJ/Ninja stalker but not in any way a bad thing to play. Very thematic if your going for a psion that likes to get up close.

It's as high as 60%, there's ~180 mobs with 50% or higher psi resist, most are bosses or higher.

• 5 months later