Disable SG base passcode access in PvP zones

macskull

On 8/26/2019 at 12:52 PM, PaxArcana said:

Okay, okay, new idea:

Make it a power you get only at, say, Vet Level 100.  🙂  You click the power, the passcode prompt comes up.  No more exploit potential ... and, 'cause it's something you gott a work toward for a loooooong time, the "bypasses other stuff" part won't really matter anymore, either.  🙂

I like part of this idea. 

How about making it only available once you have all badges available in game?  (not counting bug hunter - if a lot of folks had that, the game would have to be seriously infested). And, only by character, not account. 

This way - nobody's doing a Master of TF or PvP for badges - they're doing it for fun/challenge and wouldn't likely use it as an exploit. 

Granted, this raises the bar for a lot of folks who aren't into badging...

Don't forget that the people who get the most good out of the command without doing harm are roleplayers who aren't all here to grind to 100 or hunt badges or do pvp.   The command is one of the best roleplay upgrades ever.  It let's us walk to any door and transition to any kind of interior we want or need for the story.   Someone on everlasting even made an interior for the mercy isle scrap huts.   It's great!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

I like part of this idea. 

How about making it only available once you have all badges available in game?  (not counting bug hunter - if a lot of folks had that, the game would have to be seriously infested). And, only by character, not account. 

This way - nobody's doing a Master of TF or PvP for badges - they're doing it for fun/challenge and wouldn't likely use it as an exploit. 

Granted, this raises the bar for a lot of folks who aren't into badging...

That's a big no from me, ghost rider. I give zero fucks about badges aside from accolades and 95% of the game's playerbase is probably in the same boat.

• Like 2

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

5 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

Nice necro. Good to know Bentley has been acting like PvP'ers are subhuman for a year or more lol.

Taking what I say out of context I see. I love PvP, good quality pvp in a game built for it. CoH does not have this in any semblance. There is just too wide a gap between build power possible to consider it balanced or viable. And yes those who pvp here who basically exist only to gank, grief, harass, and have no actual interest in playing pvp on a pvp centric game are indeed seen even in pvp mmo gamer circles as subhuman trash.

I still to this day often for a pvp itch go play Guild Wars 1 and do random arena team pvp because it is always different, fun, and well matched. Were even a squishy elemntalist can with the right melee skills stand against a warrior primary long enough to slip in a shock touch to stun and KD them and finish them off while deflecting attacks with parry skills. Not to mention a game where gear all has the same stats basically so no one has any gear score advantage.

IMO the coh servers out there that give max level and all possible character upgrades at creation are the only good pvp CoH servers, because only in such a variant can every one be entering PvP on remotely equal footing, and even then because of the additional power factor caused by certain power pairings, pvp just cant be called well balanced nor designed in CoH. Something the devs themselves felt for years after it got forced into creation.

PvPers in CoH literally are composed of meta gamers with top tier builds afking at key ambush sites to try and gank the random wanderer. Usually in groups because they are too cowardly to wander the zones alone.  And such a minority of the least valued players in the greater coh community that thankfully its very unlikely the HC team will ever devote any energy to them with the few resources they have.

And you can call me Berk, Mr. holocaust fan. Like serious you have a name that just cries I love the Council and 5th Column.

• Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Taking what I say out of context I see. I love PvP, good quality pvp in a game built for it. CoH does not have this in any semblance. There is just too wide a gap between build power possible to consider it balanced or viable. And yes those who pvp here who basically exist only to gank, grief, harass, and have no actual interest in playing pvp on a pvp centric game are indeed seen even in pvp mmo gamer circles as subhuman trash.

I still to this day often for a pvp itch go play Guild Wars 1 and do random arena team pvp because it is always different, fun, and well matched. Were even a squishy elemntalist can with the right melee skills stand against a warrior primary long enough to slip in a shock touch to stun and KD them and finish them off while deflecting attacks with parry skills. Not to mention a game where gear all has the same stats basically so no one has any gear score advantage.

IMO the coh servers out there that give max level and all possible character upgrades at creation are the only good pvp CoH servers, because only in such a variant can every one be entering PvP on remotely equal footing, and even then because of the additional power factor caused by certain power pairings, pvp just cant be called well balanced nor designed in CoH. Something the devs themselves felt for years after it got forced into creation.

PvPers in CoH literally are composed of meta gamers with top tier builds afking at key ambush sites to try and gank the random wanderer. Usually in groups because they are too cowardly to wander the zones alone.  And such a minority of the least valued players in the greater coh community that thankfully its very unlikely the HC team will ever devote any energy to them with the few resources they have.

And you can call me Berk, Mr. holocaust fan. Like serious you have a name that just cries I love the Council and 5th Column.

We've already memorized this narrative of yours like the back of our hands, thanks. Still just your opinions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Holocaust means destruction on an epic scale, not goose steeping to a insane and unstable person with a funny mustache that loves water melons.  Nuclear Holocaust is a scenario involving obliteration of cities, doesn't matter on nation bring burned.

Can we call you Bentley, like the car?  Or Mr. Benz, like a Mercedes?

• Like 2

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

4 hours ago, arcaneholocaust said:

Nice necro. Good to know Bentley has been acting like PvP'ers are subhuman for a year or more lol.

Just do what I do when a poster brings nothing of value to their existence on the forums and ignore them.

• Like 2

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

4 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Imagine feeling this strongly about something you have no clue about

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

Holocaust means destruction on an epic scale, not goose steeping to a insane and unstable person with a funny mustache that loves water melons.  Nuclear Holocaust is a scenario involving obliteration of cities, doesn't matter on nation bring burned.

Can we call you Bentley, like the car?  Or Mr. Benz, like a Mercedes?

I was listening to Death in June's Rose Clouds of Holocaust and Dead Can Dance's Garden of the Arcane Delights a lot one month basically.

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2019 at 11:58 AM, Number Six said:

It’s a bug, and the macros are an exploit, sorry.

The passcode mechanic is something that was not available on the retail servers but is new here. The macros are using an internal command that was added to be used by the base portal dialog box and it never should have been usable when the dialog is not displayed.

There is at least one permanent teleport to base power available, and maybe a day job version as well.

It’s possible that in addition to working while next to a base portal, the command can continue to work while inside a base to facilitate direct travel between bases, but it depends on the implementation details.

Back in the early days before that command was created, we used to be able to use a bind that would grant us the ability to have clear backgrounds in our chat bubbles. When they created that command for the bases, somehow it interfered with the chat bubble commands and now we can no longer create those chat bubbles. Since you guys are looking in to getting rid of them, can you also make it so we can get those chat bubbles back?

This is something I've encountered several times doing PvP, so I fully support Macskull's suggestion here. However, I'd still like to be able to use the slash command for regular PvE. Yes, it is "broken" but honestly? It just reduces travel times, it doesn't necessarily offer an in-combat advantage other than fully placating a fight in a Master of TF. I'd personally prefer a solution that keeps the base macros as-is but excludes the command from working in a PvP zone or arena event or mission during combat. 

• Like 1