Show me your Dominator tier list!

Some Random User

2 hours ago, Chirikiti said:

They don't get domination.

They get the mez protection aspect, and I'm not sure that Domination makes up for better defenses, team buffs, and a freaking nuke.

2 hours ago, Chirikiti said:

Plus Mind's don't need pets not because mass confusion makes your foes a pet, but because they just don't need pets.

I'm not too sure Mind Control needs a pet either (though I'm not especially fond of pet powers on Dominators in general, so I may be biased).  But I feel like it needs something (although...maybe that "something" is "better secondaries"?).

-I was thinking more the uber mezzing Domination affords. I'm locking down everything everywhere, and while my defenses aren't what they could be they don't need to be and are sufficient for... well everything.

- Mind is really the only one I like and consequently play (tried many others)...I think it's perfect and nothing should be messed with. (But I AM biased since, I can do anything (everything) on my mind-dom hehe)

-I think f**cking with stuff is a baaad idea. Just going to ruin stuff.

36 minutes ago, Chirikiti said:

I'm locking down everything everywhere

That's the thing.  I'm doing that on my Fortunata, too.  Fortunata durations for Total Domination are about the same as Dominator base, and Mass Confusion is equivalent to Dominators with Domination up Rarely is the extra mag needed, and for the few it is, just toss a single-target on that one exception.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mind Control, conceptually, but I really don't see anything that it can do that a Fortunata can't.

Mind control gets Mass Confusion and Terrify, which are amazing powers. Honestly, Terrify is amazing, it's AoE is ridiculously huge, it deals decent damage, AND it helps with control. Half the time, it's all the control I actually need to burn down the spawn, and it recharges so fast you can toss it whenever. Mass Confusion is a one-button spawn killer, and with enough recharge, it can be perma (if somehow everything isn't dead before the first one wears off).

Can Fortunatas perma-confuse GMs and AVs through PToD? Because that's my favorite thing to do on my mind dom.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 4:41 PM, Lazarillo said:

The roughest thing about Mind Control at this point, especially for Dominators, IMO, is that most of its nicest powers are also given to Fortunatas.

They don't get Domination... A mag 3 versus a Mag 6 will immediately hold all bosses in one application. There's not even a way to really debate that one, and really, you missed out on so many levels and magnitudes of control that will really hurt you later on. Although widows gain easier to get defenses, they also do not have debuff resistance. They also have very limited health options. They don't get high regen like you could with a secondary like psionic assault. The AT only offers you team leadership buffs, a better ST attack chain (if you go into Blood Widow attacks for melee range), and a nuke. It has no mitigation versus boss or higher level foes which tend to hit the hardest and have the most accuracy. Whereas with proper IOing, a dominator can still softcap things AND have much more hardcore control-based options versus the widow. Soloing, the dominator will outperform the Fortunata. Even despite their leadership buffs, their power pool choices heavily limit them, whereas the dominator power pool choices are vastly better, notably Ice Mastery for Sleet, an actual heal and +max HP with hoarfrost, and a decent AOE in ice storm all heavily benefit Dominators. Sleet can -res enemies which is perfect for psi, whereas the Fortunata cannot -res without using spin, which the Dominator could easily use this in one of their PBAOEs. 

A Dominator can mez a group of enemies with one single application, a Fortunata cannot. A dominator can mez a boss in one application and has a much better time building on an AV, a Fortunata cannot. 

There's pros and cons to these ATs, in general, I actually like Fortunata but I cannot use it's psionic attacks without practically needing to dip in the Lethal-based powers and the lack of a heal without taking the Medicine pool which I don't want to do. Dominators fill the void and do much better for me in this case.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

Playing Electric and at low levels it seems the best by far.  Chain knockdown has a fast recharge and lets you keep groups half out of the fight.  An aoe sleep lets you put out groups and not take an alpha.  Others eventually become powerful, but the group control at low levels for electric is amazing.

Are we talking solo or for teams.

If its for solo the tiers here seem way out of wack to me and some sets can become

proc monsters now to.

i have played most dom primaries to at least Vet level 20 so I hope I have a decently informed opion.

fastest:

firE

safest:

earth if you proc it right, plant on par. 

most well rounded:

plant

way better than people think:

electric and pros turn jolting chain into a really good single target attack.

Secondaries:

fastest:

Psy-drain psy is why keeps you alive and end bar charged.

best: 

psy

good damage:

fire, earth with procs only, martial

On 8/26/2019 at 12:30 AM, Waypoint said:

Since some people asked, I can definitely elaborate on my choices here. Not going to get into the secondary part, just because I feel like that's not very controversial. Again, this is from pure personal experience with these sets. Doms and Controllers are my favorite AT in the game. If there were more secondaries to choose from, I'd most likely exclusively play them. Or if more of the APPs were similar to Psi Mastery (adding some kinda buff). 

Fire (D- /  E+): I don't think the set has a good synergy with any of the secondaries like it does on a controller. The pets die really fast, smoke & bonfire don't benefit from domination. Depending on how you play a Dominator, you might be locking things down in a scatter formation so Hot Feet won't be super beneficial.

Electric (C / C- / D+): Jolting chain is incredibly weak, conductive aura is fine but it doesn't seem like a very strong +regen/+recov power. Synaptic overload is a cool contagious power, but I'd rather it was more similar to World of Confusion or hit everything at once. It also doesn't use domination (lack of domination use is a big factor in why I put sets where they are). Overall the damage is very weak and the animations are super long. Shorten the animation times and it'd be fairly strong. Static Field is arguably one of the best powers in a control set. The pets also benefit way more from controller buff sets, similar to fire.

Gravity (B- / C+ / C-) This was a controversial one, and I probably should've put it at B instead of C. I love gravity on a controller. The overhaul on it made it much more effective. The pet is the best pet for a control set. On a dominator, I find it a little more clunky. Dimension shift is a good mitigation tool, but there are so many powers that don't benefit from Domination. And if you take those powers and your hard hitting ranged powers from the secondary, you're sacrificing a lot for not many benefits (it's easier to get better recharge with control powers than the actual damage powers like propel/lift). The animations are also kinda long, even if they did speed up propel. 

Darkness (B): A very good control set. Like oedipus said, it's similar to Mind Control and does more damage. Fearsome Stare is a strong soft hold, same with heart of darkness doing the disorient. Haunt is a great extra damage, and the Umbral Dog does additional CC. It's a contender for one of the better pets for a control set. If Shadow Field wasn't a target location AOE, it'd be A Tier imo. Or if Living Shadows wasn't a cone (I hate cones personally).

Ice (B- / C+): This and Gravity should've been together in the same tier. I just made an Ice/Martial build for someone and it was really, really good (maybe credit to martial). With the change to immobilizes now being affected with knock downs, it made the set really strong with damage mitigation. Arctic Air is a PBAOE toggle, so at high level (where exp gain doesn't matter), you have another damage mitigation tool. Jack Frost sucks. The sleep is kinda dumb (every sleep should just be Static Field from elec).

Earth (A): The pet sucks. The powers animate very fast. You do -def so you can hit everything, and with Earthquake you can add an Achilles' Heel -res. It has hard mezzes like disorient and holds that are up frequently. If it had one less location AOE, it'd honestly be S Tier. Make quicksand into a drop-at-feet power and it'd be fine based on it's recharge.

Mind (S / A+): It doesn't have a pet, which is good. The whole set is control on roids. You get access to basically every type of mez except disorient. Almost everything benefits from domination. 

Plant (S / A+): You get a buff power (spirit tree), carrion creepers are great, the confuse is a wide cone. Pair it with something high in AOE (like Martial) and you got a great AOE machine. 

Personal opinion: Give all of the pets some higher base resistance/hp. Gravity's pet is already hands down the best pet in a control set for a reason. If others replicated it, it'd be perfect. 

With the change in procs it appears the minus res no longer works in quake as it’s like a rain now.  However FF goes off almost every time giving great plus recharge.  You can also proc out Vg for damage which will helps this set out a lot when soloing. 

You can proc out JT for damage turns it into a nice ST hitter.

For BF as other have said change to KB to KD is a game changer.  Adds a lot of soft control and damage to. 

Mass Confusion's recharge time is the main issue with it. It was the first AoE Confuse power in the game (outside of Arctic Air).The 240 second recharge time compares to:

Seeds of Confusion: 60 seconds 

Synaptic Overload: 60 seconds

Both of these powers have their own quirks that nominally make them not as good as Mass Confusion. Seeds is a cone that alerts enemies, Synaptic is a chain that can be slow to reach the whole spawn.

But Mind sacrifices a pet for Mass Confusion and with that in mind the recharge should be 60 or at most 100 seconds, not 240.

Mass Confusion is fine. If it had a base recharge of 100 seconds, Mind perma-doms would have it up for every spawn, and that would be ridiculous.

Am I the only one who doesn't consider not having a pet a "sacrifice"? I think it's actually one of the benefits of Mind Control.

Anyways, you can't compare powers from different sets in a vacuum. That's not how powersets work--you have to consider the context of the entire set. Mind Control's gimmick is aggro-less control and the ability to defeat enemies without ever leaving stealth. To that end, a pet would be actively detrimental to the set, whereas Mass Confusion is a perfect capstone.

You say Mind Control doesn't get a pet. I say Mind Control has the best pets.

• Like 1