Show me your Defender tier list!

Some Random User

TA with Dark or Water for the added heal factor, but Defender ATOs offer a heal proc. Not saying it will save you. Fire because Oil Slick and Ice since it will keep things nicely bunched. You want a secondary which plays better at range though. I'm liking Gav/ta so far and I don't even have Wormhole yet, but Plant/ta would be incredibly good. Seeds + lit Oil Slick. Plant offers Regen as well.

I got mine up to 17. I shot an arrow around a corner to the point it defied logic. That's a point for TA. Also, considering we are talking toggles, TA can get mezzed and the debuffs don't drop.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

TA points:

yes TA/DP defenders work extremely well. There's no redraw options.

Archery/TA corruptors work decently well too, I'm not the biggest fan of archery as a blast set.

Plant/TA controllers.... ... I'm kinda speechless here, and maybe it's just my build or me steering it, by my plant/ta controller often out performs regular pug team blasters. I've received a multitude of tells asking if I'd let some of the other team members get some kills too.

----

Defender ranking IMO:

Debuff is King

Things that let you buff yourself

Other sets with powers that require a teammate are better served on AT's with pets that you can use that power on (for that reason rezzes that require a dead teammate are immediate skip powers they can use an awaken or learn to not die).

• Like 1

More Grav/ta. Did a Posi 2 and hit and 19. Only genuine support as there was a Dom, but they are only kind of support. It was rough. But that can happen with a Post TF in the right instance. I will say I did get on a team with a defender and was welcomed when they saw I added control and the defender mentioned about how their job was going to be easier. That team did go smoother. It would be interesting to see how I would have done on the Posi in a similar situation having further leveled up and using any slotting.

A con for me in terms of ranking Traps is how much better off the set is when you have time to actually set up.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

20 hours ago, StriderIV said:

What are some primaries you guys like to pair with TA? Archery obviously stands out.

I would think DP/TA would be SWEET, but I’m wondering how weapon redraw works with that lol.

I did a relentless Aeon with the special Vanguard fight with a TA/DP on the squad.  Usually I know how to build a good team for this so it typically goes smooth but that fight went a little too well and the only thing that stood out was that was the first I've had the pleasure of having a TA in that fight.  

I went and made one the next day and damned if it isn't in my top 5 characters to play.  All that damage debuffing from Chemical ammo and TA it's like you're giving the team some beefy resist shields.

You can turn redraw off, TA/DP plays real well together but TA did make me learn how to bind so I could get the best I can out of it.  Plus its a real cool style pairing.  

Aside from a TA Defender I'd likely pair TA on a MM.  With those debuffs your pets will be eating peoples lunch.   

Edited by Mezmera
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

I did a relentless Aeon with the special Vanguard fight with a TA/DP on the squad.  Usually I know how to build a good team for this so it typically goes smooth but that fight went a little too well and the only thing that stood out was that was the first I've had the pleasure of having a TA in that fight.  

I went and made one the next day and damned if it isn't in my top 5 characters to play.  All that damage debuffing from Chemical ammo and TA it's like you're giving the team some beefy resist shields.

You can turn redraw off, TA/DP plays real well together but TA did make me learn how to bind so I could get the best I can out of it.  

Aside from a TA Defender I'd likely pair TA on a MM.  With those debuffs your pets will be eating peoples lunch.   

How are the weapon transitions with each other? Do they kind of just “poof” when you change? It definitely is a cool concept!

1 minute ago, StriderIV said:

How are the weapon transitions with each other? Do they kind of just “poof” when you change? It definitely is a cool concept!

Yeah just gone.  Its cool if you have a belt with the pistol holster so you can pretend you just put the gun back.  The bow though it'd be nice if they ever add weapon back options so you can visualize where the bow went to.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mezmera said:

When they changed TA I became quite obsessed with trying make different permutations of it on different AT's.  Love my ta/sonic defender to death (Sonic Penetrator).

For MM's it's quite sick on defense based sets...especially BOTs.  Not sure which is my favorite but of the below the robots are probably the sturdiest and highest damage output (when not exempting):

Bot/TA - stupid survivability and damage post 32

Thugs/TA - good survivability and damage from start to finish

Beasts/TA - no obvious synergy but does really well if you find other creative ways to light the oil patch

Zombies/TA - honorable mention. The stacking -tohit and self heals post 32 really turns these guys into quite the force to be dealt with.

Edited by evetsleep
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later

Apparently I do new-to-me support sets on a Controller as a testing ground before deciding on making a Defender or not. My Grav/ta enabled a TA/ice. I also did a Plant/ta as I find Wormhole's animation time less than ideal. Grav/ta will be one of the few builds I get to 50 and simply park it versus dealing with getting it Incarnated. TA/ice is 22, but liking it so far, and that was with minimal slotting. I should be good to go the next time I play it. I did a bit of deathmatch for what to pair with TA. I went /ice so I can stack the hold, and /ice is a bit more solo friendly overall since the build will be put on a lower pop server and soloing at times will be needed. /dark and /water were in the running. /fire would have been nice so I can skip Arcane Bolt in order to light Oil Slick.

I'm terrible at putting things in an S tier, but both options for the level 1 pick feel closer to "eh" than I would like. The lack of -tohit compared to other sets is rather noticeable. The -perception is merely kind of useful. TA can absolutely play better on a Controller so if it is an S tier for a Defender, then what the hell is it for a Controller?

A Elec/ea Controller turned into a EA/elec Defender. My main on live was a Kin/elec, so I'm liking the changes to /elec. I feel like EA is an absolute love or hate thing with zero middle ground. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it as I feel like one can get caught up in spamming the powers which stack versus doing something which is actually more helpful. Absolutely saw the direct impact I had if I went down on a hard Frostfire mission. It could easily be an S tier I never want to touch though. I ODed on Kin and EA feels very much "DO ALL THE THINGS NOW."

On live, I was level 25 common IOs at best. On HC, my deep dives have been on the melee side to where I could get a build fairly close to final just by doing things on the fly. Now switching over to support has been an interesting experience for me. Probably my number 1 build waiting to get played again having some knowledge about IOs for Defenders is my Cold/water.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1 hour ago, Without_Pause said:

I'm terrible at putting things in an S tier, but both options for the level 1 pick feel closer to "eh" than I would like. The lack of -tohit compared to other sets is rather noticeable. The -perception is merely kind of useful. TA can absolutely play better on a Controller so if it is an S tier for a Defender, then what the hell is it for a Controller?

The debuffs are now so strong in TA I'm finding it better as a Defender as well. I've a Grav/TA, which I've had since Live but TA/Elec has been a bit of a revelation for me. Thought "I'll feel like a weak controller with debuffs" but I feel like a debuff machine with some handy control thrown in. The jump in Def debuff numbers really shine. 

Not sure what you mean by "lack of -ToHit" in TA. Flash is up there with any other single power in terms of raw -ToHit (50% of which is unresistible, so useful vs AVs). Crucially it's also a standard huge AoE power with a quick recharge. No messing with anchors, getting in close for your aura to work or having a tiny AoE. You can layer it on everything very easily and it doesn't matter if they are spread out, do a runner, get knocked back or any of that. They're debuffed regardless of what they do, for 60 seconds. Warwolf decides to run off for a bit? They'll be back and they'll still be debuffed. Stupid Warwork robots refusing to get in close? Doesn't really matter. 

Also net arrow is kinda meh but it does have the 20% -resist. Again makes it useful vs AVs, especially any which like running. 

Edited by Carnifax
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Carnifax said:

Not sure what you mean by "lack of -ToHit" in TA. Flash is up there with any other single power in terms of raw -ToHit (50% of which is unresistible, so useful vs AVs). Crucially it's also a standard huge AoE power with a quick recharge. No messing with anchors, getting in close for your aura to work or having a tiny AoE. You can layer it on everything very easily and it doesn't matter if they are spread out, do a runner, get knocked back or any of that. They're debuffed regardless of what they do, for 60 seconds. Warwolf decides to run off for a bit? They'll be back and they'll still be debuffed. Stupid Warwork robots refusing to get in close? Doesn't really matter. 

Talking more about trash mobs which is what you are going to face far more often than AVs. I can slap down DN or RI and know just how much that cuts down on incoming damage. Flash, not so much. I am aware RI and DN can be lesser on decently moving teams as well. I'm talking about me against a mob soloing. It irks me the damage proc seems to notify the mob of you. I still argue a 60 second duration isn't THAT beneficial.

Defenders get the better numbers, but for controllers, they get ST and AoE mez which can be stacked with their primary and added damage. Net Arrow also means a Controller can skip their immobilization power if they get one. All of that's huge for certain builds.

I think the End Mod +Chance for Disorient will end up being a pass in Disruption Arrow as it only procs twice/minute.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

Disruption Arrow can take the Chance to Heal proc. It goes off nearly every time. It's not huge (seems unfair that Chance for Ends can proc multiple times but Chance to Heal no longer can)

Why would you slot a damage proc in Flash Arrow? The whole point is you can debuff them without notifying them (then run screaming at them twanging arrows as you go). Plus the proc rate is gonna be shite anyway. 

Edited by Carnifax
  • Like 1

I believe damage procs can go off without waking up a sleeping target I was trying to see if that translated over. I've already tested the Chance to Heal Proc. My goal is to play test everything as I level and keep what works for me.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

54 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

I believe damage procs can go off without waking up a sleeping target I was trying to see if that translated over. I've already tested the Chance to Heal Proc. My goal is to play test everything as I level and keep what works for me.

Nope it works just like the Malaise proc if you'd slot it into Mass Confusion.  Without that proc you get no aggro but if you have the proc slotted and they get out of their confused stupor they come at you.  @Carnifax is right I slot Flash Arrow to 4 without any proc since it's a handy power in and out of stealth best of all situations.  

13 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

Nope it works just like the Malaise proc if you'd slot it into Mass Confusion.  Without that proc you get no aggro but if you have the proc slotted and they get out of their confused stupor they come at you.  @Carnifax is right I slot Flash Arrow to 4 without any proc since it's a handy power in and out of stealth best of all situations.  

Yep, the plan is to 4-slot Cloud Senses for the recharge bonus. So wanted to 6-slot it, but alas.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

10 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

I believe damage procs can go off without waking up a sleeping target I was trying to see if that translated over

The trick there is some Sleep powers are coded for the Sleep effect to kick in a fraction of a second after the power (and procs) hit. Mind & Ice Controls sleeps do this for example. 

So they are damaged and alerted, but almost immediately they fall asleep before they can react. 

Edit : Wait, why didn't I take Flash Freeze on my Ice/Traps controller. Hmmmm. 

Edited by Carnifax
  • Like 2