Pylon Damage Thread

Project_X

32 minutes ago, Top Gear said:

Ok but if you're using it to compare AT/power sets, does it remove bonuses from any enhancements? The same AT with the same power will obviously get different numbers if they have an SO vs IO and so on. I would think you want real numbers from the raw skill and AT, not some artificially inflated number based on a $20M enhancement you bought for instance

There's already been tests comparing powersets with just SOs. 

This thread is a showcase for extreme levels of min/max'ing DPS. The "raw skill" here is mostly in making calculations for your build and attack chain. IOs do make a big difference but there's a huge variety in how they're slotted across different ATs and powersets. 

There's many different challenges in this game. This one in this thread is how much damage can you possibly do against a stationary target. The Trapdoor challenge (another thread in the forums) requires skill in more aspects of the game in case that's what you're looking for.

EDIT:

Also, no. The most expensive build is not guaranteed to be the most optimal. In fact, you can slot all your powers full of Purple and Winter IO's, spend over a billion influence, and not come close to what a cheaper build can do.

Edited by Ston
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 8/12/2022 at 11:05 AM, Top Gear said:

Sorry guys, new to this type of "fun" in game. What purpose does this serve? Is this just a "I got a higher number than you" or is there actually a good reason for engaging in this activity? Not judging just curious.

I think some of us just find it fun to have an easily measurable performance metric whose limits one can push. A modest hit of dopamine for successfully getting a good score, too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, arcane said:

I think some of us just find it fun to have an easily measurable performance metric whose limits one can push. A modest hit of dopamine for successfully getting a good score, too.

This.

Each person has different reasons. Mine are this and to have actual numbers for myself.  Really, that's the only reason I stick to the standard of no temps for my runs. I started doing this back on Live and it stuck so I don't have crazy variables across powersets when I see numbers. I personally don't care if people do, or if their build is really only built for Pylons.  I did a Pylon only build ONCE out of curiosity. Coincidentally, I fall in to the group that think tankers got way to buffed 😄

Yeah I don’t think I have anything that is built entirely around pylons. I might build heavily towards single target DPS but not past the point where I’m skipping my main AoE’s or other critical powers entirely. All of my builds in this thread gotta make appearances in real content too…

Edited by arcane
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, arcane said:

Yeah I don’t think I have anything that is built entirely around pylons. I might build heavily towards single target DPS but not past the point where I’m skipping my main AoE’s or other critical powers entirely. All of my builds in this thread gotta make appearances in real content too…

Every build I've posted, I built for ST DPS, yes, but that doesn't mean I ignored AOE.

I will say, I don't care for cones myself.  One of the few builds with the cone is Dual Pistols, but that's because I love the Empty Clips animation 🙂

On 8/12/2022 at 4:38 PM, Ston said:

Yeah this build is ST focused. Though you could make some easy changes to keep high ST damage and bring in some AoE:
- Swap Thunder Kick for Dragon's Tail

- Swap Moobeam for Zapp and Soul Storm for Ball Lightning

The chains I alternated were:

Cross Punch>Crippling Axe Kick>Moonbeam>Storm Kick

Cross Punch>Crippling Axe Kick>Thunder Kick>Storm Kick

Here's the build:

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Holy cow!  I may  be doing something wrong, but even with Focus Chi and the build-up  proc in Moonbeam turned off in mids, and critical hit turned off, the damage numbers for each of the attacks in your chain seem really high.  Wow.

Plant/Dark controller - definitely not setting records but this really is a solid combo. If I did the formula correct should be clocking in at 344dps..not too shabby.

Edit: Unlocked Support Hybrid Core for this character - adding pylon time with support core turned on. ~2minutes 35 seconds

Edited by Ratch_
unlocked hybrid core
  • Like 1

DP/NIN (No Epic) - Incendiary Ammo

Dual Wield > Suppressive Fire > Executioner's Shot > Repeat

No Incarnates:

6:10 (231 DPS)

Incarnates (Radial Reactive - Assault Hybrid (Passive only) - Radial Musculature

4:02 (286 DPS)

Dual Wield (1 DMG IO +5 - Gladiator's Javelin: ACC/DMG +5 - Gladiator's Javelin: Proc - Ice Mistral: Proc - Impeded Swiftness: Proc - Force Feedback: Proc)

Suppressive Fire (1 DMG IO +5 - Gladiator's Javelin: ACC/DMG +5 - Gladiator's Javelin: Proc - Ghost Widow's Embrace: Proc - Unbreakable Restraint: Proc - Gladiator's Net: Proc)

Executioner's Shot (Apoc: DMG +5 - Apoc: Proc - Gladiator's Javelin: ACC/DMG +5 - Gladiator's Javelin: Proc - Ice Mistral: Proc - Achille's Heel: Proc)

This was all done on the test server before I made the build on live.  So I can see if I'm willing to give up the Movement Enhancement of Musculature, as I didn't need the Endurance Modification Enhancement at all, that would give me a bit more damage.

Not sure how often the +RCH Proc went off in Dual Wield but the math looks to say I'd be better off with it than a Damage Proc in it's place and since I had the Hasten Graphics on, I do know it went off enough to have no gap in Hasten most of the time (not always).

Edited by BrandX
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

MA/SR - EC-SK-CAK-SK, focus chi used when up with EC holding crit strikes ATO2.

1:56
2:05
1:58
1:50
2:07
2:00

1:51

T4 Musc Core | T4 Degen Core | T4 Assault Core passive | T4 Ageless Core was on for most of the runs including the 1:50 time

Did some runs with MA/SR to see if MA could break 2 minutes without /bio or /shield.

Edited by Signalrunner
Added capture of 1:51 time
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Warshade - Triform - Shifting Chain.

No pets, no temps, no hybrid, no insps, no mire fodder.
T4 Degen Core. T4 Vigor Core. T4 Ageless Radial (not really built for pylons, clearly)

2:54

4000% more effort than you should have to put in 😅
Pleasantly surprised with the result... for a Warshade.

Edited by Doomrider
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Doomrider said:

Warshade - Triform - Shifting Chain.

No pets, no temps, no hybrid, no mire fodder.
T4 Degen Core. T4 Vigor Core. T4 Ageless Radial (not really built for pylons, clearly)

2:54

4000% more effort than you should have to put in 😅
Pleasantly surprised with the result... for a Warshade.

... that's downright fuckin impressive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay I think I broke something with this one...

Peacebringer - Triform - Shifting chain
No pets, no temps, no insps, T4 Degen core, T4 Musc Radial, T4 Assault Radial on

1:43 (500 dps) 😮 (video is not sped up. I swear)

Had to use filler attacks in my chain cause I don't math anything.

Edited by Doomrider
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Doomrider said:

What witchcraft is this Shifting chain?  I saw it, but my brain isn't processing it.  You were constantly switching from Human to Dwarf and seemingly getting multiple attacks off.  WITCHCRAFT!!

13 hours ago, Doomrider said:

Okay I think I broke something with this one...

No pets, no temps, no insps, T4 Degen core, T4 Musc Radial, T4 Assault Radial on

1:43 (500 dps) 😮 (video is not sped up. I swear)

Had to use filler attacks in my chain cause I don't math anything.

Am I wrong thinking that the form bouncing is allowing you to skip some attack animations?

2 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Am I wrong thinking that the form bouncing is allowing you to skip some attack animations?

The shifts are probably trimming some of them off a bit yeah but whether that's totally controllable is debatable.
The game is trying to decide whether to play the form animation itself or the attack animation which is why you see me pop into nova or dwarf briefly now and then.
Combine that with having fast animation attacks like Radiant Strike in the mix and it starts to look real janky, visually speaking. 
It's a TON of button pressing and shifting off form manually in between attacks in some instances, which requires precise timing to pull off correctly and not get stuck in a form.
If my timing is too quick it will actually skip attacks entirely and result in a dps loss. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Doomrider said:

whether that's totally controllable is debatable.

Maybe it won't be today, maybe it won't be tomorrow, but one day you will be the reason for the first Kheldian Nerf.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Sir Myshkin said:

Maybe it won't be today, maybe it won't be tomorrow, but one day you will be the reason for the first Kheldian Nerf.

Yes, nerf one of the most underplayed, underperforming meme-classes based on an edge case. That's a great idea. Yikes.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ratch_ said:

I got crazy dumb luck rng. For those wondering the avg. currently is 1m11s-1m12s over a spread of 40 runs.

865dps fastest, 665dps average

It's pleasantly consistent. I was pretty surprised by that. The RNG normally led to runs stupid fast, to the point I had to throw them out. I had one that was 0:58 BEFORE I even got good at the chain. Yeah, that wasn't factored in my averages.

Edited by SomeGuy
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, SomeGuy said:

It's pleasantly consistent. I was pretty surprised by that. The RNG normally led to runs stupid fast, to the point I had to throw them out. I had one that was 0:58 BEFORE I even got good at the chain. Yeah, that wasn't factored in my averages.

The build I used in the video is tailored back some as well (hence the super speed) as I'm looking to try bringing it closer to comfort to run around with in CoH. I still need to spend time with CS slotted into RA and Arc, but at the very least I did get FT finished up today. The attack chain seems really stable and solid though, I don't have any recorded difference that suggest RA lead or FT lead for the momentum chain makes any meaningful difference (in the context of CS slotted into FT).

Of the other sets you've tested have you felt the spikes to the same degree as this one? I personally can't say I have, at least to this degree.

Edited by Ratch_
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ratch_ said:

The build I used in the video is tailored back some as well (hence the super speed) as I'm looking to try bringing it closer to comfort to run around with in CoH. I still need to spend time with CS slotted into RA and Arc, but at the very least I did get FT finished up today. The attack chain seems really stable and solid though, I don't have any recorded difference that suggest RA lead or FT lead for the momentum chain makes any meaningful difference (in the context of CS slotted into FT).

Of the other sets you've tested have you felt the spikes to the same degree as this one? I personally can't say I have, at least to this degree.

Honestly, I don't think I can remember. I hadn't touched TW for a lonngggggg time until recently. I do remember having CS (ATO2) in RA and prioritizing RA in the chain. I do know DB and IM can have some wild variables in times (especially DB...a string of SS misses really hurts).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doomrider said:

Yes, nerf one of the most underplayed, underperforming meme-classes based on an edge case. That's a great idea. Yikes.

You... you do know... I was joking, right? Implied by the attached Monty Python skit? About identifying a witch based on the weight of a duck? No?

9 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

You... you do know... I was joking, right? Implied by the attached Monty Python skit? About identifying a witch based on the weight of a duck? No?

Yeah... I do, it didn't click when I initially read the post tbh 😅 It dawned on me this morning when I woke up. 
This is why I (should) know better than to post in haste. I was wrapped up in something else IRL when I got a notification and saw "nerf" in your post. 
/stow pitchfork

Edited by Doomrider
  • Haha 1