instant level 50 on live

OminousUndead

I can understand the impulse — I hate those early levels, and really don't feel like my character starts coming together until somewhere in the 30s — but I really don't want an Insta-50 button.

(Wouldn't mind an insta-32 button, honestly, but I don't expect to ever get that)

Edited by Williwaw

Would something like allowing players who have already made it to level 50 getting access to bypass the grind ever be an option?

Was thinking a system where they get access to making an insta-level 50 toon a finite amount of times, say 5 per account or so.

I think an instant 50 option should be considered. However, I think it should be available at the P2W vendor for 500 million (or more). That way, if you can afford it, you can easily afford to outfit your newly minted 50. Giving someone new to the game (or someone without a lot of influence on hand) access to an instant 50 is more of a punishment than a benefit.

On 8/21/2019 at 6:47 PM, biostem said:

Generally speaking, nothing kills a live/online game faster than instant [insert preferred item or status X]...

What examples do we have of this happening? Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing for an instant 50 button, but I'm curious what games have actually tried something like this.

On 8/23/2019 at 9:21 PM, duane said:

Feels like Junk Food.

Wow, I love that simple analogy. You are so right. Instant, short lived gratification.  

Not to say that early level grinding shortcuts should be immediately panned, but a simple, unlimited jump to 50 option would be bad for the game overall.

On 8/24/2019 at 9:28 PM, MunkiLord said:

What examples do we have of this happening? Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing for an instant 50 button, but I'm curious what games have actually tried something like this.

Many live games now offer a store transaction item that will boost you to the level cap, or very near it. For example, Everquest has one. Lord of the Rings online has them as well. Wow too. Expansion packs often come with a bundle that includes a jump to level 100 where the level cap might be 105 or 110. And, as mentioned, pricey store items that will boost you to the same level 100 are available in most games that I have seen lately. They are not cheap. I think they work out to about $50.

For me, I sometimes like having that option in fantasy games. I like to explore the setting. See which zones have what sort of interesting landscapes or new and fantastical beasts to best. But early MMO game designs mostly dictated a concentric circle of increasing difficulty as you ventured beyond your starting area. As such, my exploration curiosity was always level dependent. So I would level so that I could explore more of the game world. The game itself became a kind of barrier to my main interest in playing--solo exploration. So I would sometimes reach for a level booster so that I could range wider in the game world. 

With CoH, it's different for me. Since it is not a fantasy setting, I find most of the zones to be fairly similar and the variety of mobs to contest with while exploring to be also repetitive (not a complaint). Exploring the game world is no longer a huge factor for me. I have become much more engaged in the game mechanics and focused on character tuning/tweaking than in any previous game.  Getting a character to my preferred starting point, say level 35, is trivial if you create a farm toon and two box, so I don't really need a level booster, particularly if it's going to be pricey in terms of influence. I can do it myself in two hours or less and save the inf for purples or boosters or whatever to tweak an existing character. 

Edited by dmaker
  • Like 1

We have the Double XP option at the P2W vendor, you can stack it up for 8 hours at a time.  You have DFB trials and DiB trials.  Those will basically bring you to about 30 in fairly short order.  Anything after that should come pretty quickly if you team with folks.  There's some awesome content in this game, enjoy it!

12 hours ago, Chaos Ex Machina said:

If this is verboten why is instant virtually max incarnate at level 51 considered good?

Hi, just popping in here because my hyperbolometer suddenly spiked and hOLY JESUS

• Haha 1

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.