Patch Notes for August 22nd, 2019

Leandro

On 11/19/2019 at 1:00 PM, Manga said:

If you're getting errors inside the game client, you probably just need to re-patch it.  Select the Re-Scan option from the tree menu in Island Rum.

You won't need Homebrew anymore, that requirement has been removed (you can type "brew remove wine", unless you need it for something else).  Island Rum will download the most current working Wine version by itself, and it will run 64-bit!

False. Island Rum downloads the current version, but won't run any version of the game.

Jonathan Rudder

Former Wordsmith and Lore-monkey @LotRO

Co-founder RudderHaven Publishing Group

#rhpgchanginglives

• 3 weeks later
  • 4 weeks later
On 8/22/2019 at 7:52 AM, Manga said:

Before you access the 64-bit Homecoming client on a Mac, you'll need to do the following:

1.  Your Island Rum should update automatically to version 082220191.  If it doesn't, download it here: http://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

2.  The preferred new way to load the 64-bit client is to install Homebrew and Wine.  Follow the instructions at http://brew.sh first, and after Homebrew installs, run "brew install wine" in Terminal. After that, Island Rum should move all of your CoH files to Applications - if it fails to do so, you can right-click on your old Wineskin client, select Show Contents, and find your CoH files in drive_c/Program Files/coh.  The auto-copy is not supported for the Cider client, so you will have to move those manually (they should be in Contents/Resources/transgaming/drive_c/coh).

3.  If you wish to use the Wineskin client, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE IT WITH THE 64-BIT CLIENT, OR WITH CATALINA.  If you still want to use it, rename it to CoH.app, and move it to Applications.  Occasionally, the Wineskin client might break; in that case, re-download it from http://telstar.eekstudio.com/macclient-wineskin.zip and put it into Applications (move your existing one out of the way if needed).  You can move your CoH files into the new copy if you wish by right-clicking the app and using the Show Contents option - the CoH files are in drive_c/Program Files/coh.

4.  If you wish to use the Cider client, it's much the same warnings and method as above, except it's called "City of Heroes.app" instead.  Also, it's no longer available for download, because I lost it.

5.  Island Rum defaults to the /Applications/coh folder by default when using Wine.

I apologize for the difficult installation process; Getting it all working and tested properly before the 64-bit client went live at Homecoming was a herculean task.  I do have plans for Island Rum to handle the entire Wine installation itself, but there simply wasn't time to get that part working properly.  So I took the simplest route I could with the time I had.

I cant "brew install wine" on Terminal on my Mac:

Asils-iMac-2:~ asilguerin$ brew install wine

Updating Homebrew...

Error: No available formula with the name "wine" 

==> Searching for a previously deleted formula (in the last month)...

Warning: homebrew/core is shallow clone. To get complete history run:

git -C "$(brew --repo homebrew/core)" fetch --unshallow

Error: No previously deleted formula found.

==> Searching for similarly named formulae...

These similarly named formulae were found:

twine-pypi                 winetricks                 winexe

To install one of them, run (for example):

brew install twine-pypi

==> Searching taps...

==> Searching taps on GitHub...

Error: No formulae found in taps.

Im not sure where to go from here...

• 2 weeks later

My Windows laptop recently broke and I temporarily (probably for a couple months) have a mac laptop. This being said I have no clue how Macs work and don't know if I'm missing anything or not. I'm getting stuck on Homebrew. I don't know how it works and is very confusing. I copy pasted the link on the website linked into terminal and typed "brew install wine" but I still am not sure if it's done what it needed to. I took a break and my laptop restarted for some update and came back and can't find terminal anymore on my computer. In addition, whenever I try to run Island Rum, it say that it can't be opened because "the developer cannot be verified" and that "macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware." 

Anything to help would be greatly appreciated. Personally I have been unable to find ANY tutorial/step by step videos on how to install this on a Mac and I'm beginning to doubt the possibility of it being able to play on one. A video would be ideal since I don't know anything about Macs, but any sort of help is SUPER appreciated.

3 hours ago, Abraxus said:

My understanding is that the Island Rum installer now does everything.  So, anything extra you're doing might be why it's not working.  You might find some helpful info here:

MAC User Help Thread

I clicked the link and am still unsure where/how to progress.. I tried to undo all my previous progress so that I was started at square one and now I'm unsure as to where to start the download for an up to date Island Rum.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:52 AM, Manga said:

Before you access the 64-bit Homecoming client on a Mac, you'll need to do the following:

1.  Your Island Rum should update automatically to version 082220191.  If it doesn't, download it here: http://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

2.  The preferred new way to load the 64-bit client is to install Homebrew and Wine.  Follow the instructions at http://brew.sh first, and after Homebrew installs, run "brew install wine" in Terminal. After that, Island Rum should move all of your CoH files to Applications - if it fails to do so, you can right-click on your old Wineskin client, select Show Contents, and find your CoH files in drive_c/Program Files/coh.  The auto-copy is not supported for the Cider client, so you will have to move those manually (they should be in Contents/Resources/transgaming/drive_c/coh).

3.  If you wish to use the Wineskin client, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE IT WITH THE 64-BIT CLIENT, OR WITH CATALINA.  If you still want to use it, rename it to CoH.app, and move it to Applications.  Occasionally, the Wineskin client might break; in that case, re-download it from http://telstar.eekstudio.com/macclient-wineskin.zip and put it into Applications (move your existing one out of the way if needed).  You can move your CoH files into the new copy if you wish by right-clicking the app and using the Show Contents option - the CoH files are in drive_c/Program Files/coh.

4.  If you wish to use the Cider client, it's much the same warnings and method as above, except it's called "City of Heroes.app" instead.  Also, it's no longer available for download, because I lost it.

5.  Island Rum defaults to the /Applications/coh folder by default when using Wine.

I apologize for the difficult installation process; Getting it all working and tested properly before the 64-bit client went live at Homecoming was a herculean task.  I do have plans for Island Rum to handle the entire Wine installation itself, but there simply wasn't time to get that part working properly.  So I took the simplest route I could with the time I had.

is 0822220191 still the current version?

ive been trying to download the game to no avail.

the only link that works now is the brew link, may we get an updated mac guide soon?

This is a really old thread.  I've simplified Island Rum since so it handles Wine on its own.  There isn't any guide yet because I'm still working through people with issues, and also because I'm not a forum mod and don't really have a lot of control over where it would go.  In the mean time though, you should just be able to download Island Rum, let it install in /Applications/coh, and have it download everything.

0822 is really old, you might have to download a new one: https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

• 2 weeks later

Island Rum dowloaded and installed, shows ready to play. Click on the play button and green checkmark appears and says launching Homecoming 64-bit but then nothing happens and it goes back to ready to play.  Running 10.15.2 Catalina

Edited by Atomic Quin

Greetings!

Does the Island Rum work in OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite) and how big is the full install?

Cheers!

Answering myself: Yes, it works in 32-bit mode and full install is around 5,3 Gigs.

Edited by olio

• 3 weeks later
On 2/3/2020 at 10:56 AM, Atomic Quin said:

Island Rum dowloaded and installed, shows ready to play. Click on the play button and green checkmark appears and says launching Homecoming 64-bit but then nothing happens and it goes back to ready to play.  Running 10.15.2 Catalina

The exact same thing is happening to me.  Any luck fixing?

On 2/26/2020 at 10:10 AM, teemer2003 said:

The exact same thing is happening to me.  Any luck fixing?

Yes! Someone on reddit had the fix. Here is what worked for me:

"Just to be certain I scrapped everything again and downloaded another fresh copy of Island Rum. This time I manually created the applications\CoH  folder, then ran island Rum for the "first" time. It downloaded everything as expected but this time worked and logged in without issue."

I did this and it worked perfect for me as well.

• 2 weeks later
On 2/27/2020 at 1:13 PM, Atomic Quin said:

Yes! Someone on reddit had the fix. Here is what worked for me:

"Just to be certain I scrapped everything again and downloaded another fresh copy of Island Rum. This time I manually created the applications\CoH  folder, then ran island Rum for the "first" time. It downloaded everything as expected but this time worked and logged in without issue."

I did this and it worked perfect for me as well.

This is it!  I spent two days trying all the other older advice and nothing worked.  This did it!

• Like 1

Here's my story, may or may not be helpful.

Started here: 

Clicked on the link to the OS X install and ended up here: 

Followed all directions as well as I could but got very confused and frustrated.  Went to bed.  Woke up and decided to try again. Realized I was not updated to Catalina!  Updated, restarted, manually created the applications\CoH  folder, then ran island Rum for the "first" time re-downloaded, and to my amazement it worked!

I feel like I'm going to be blasted for this, but I'm a MacBook noob and trying to figure out how to get CoH installed.  And I feel like an absotlue idiot.  I tried to download the link in step 1, but my Mac won't install it because it says it needs to be updated so it can be checked for malicious software.  Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a step that I'm missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

14 minutes ago, Frell Darr said:

I feel like I'm going to be blasted for this, but I'm a MacBook noob and trying to figure out how to get CoH installed.  And I feel like an absotlue idiot.  I tried to download the link in step 1, but my Mac won't install it because it says it needs to be updated so it can be checked for malicious software.  Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a step that I'm missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You might try checking in with folks on the HC Discord: they're generally pretty friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about these things.  I don't speak "Mac", so I'm afraid I have nothing more to offer.  Good luck!

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

17 hours ago, Frell Darr said:

You’ll need to go to your settings and ‘allow’ the program to run. I’m not at my computer atm but when I get a chance I’ll provide more detailed information. I think it’s in Privacy/Security or something like that.

I've been trying to follow these direction to install the app but when I type "brew install wine" it says "command not found" 

Those directions are outdated.  Island Rum will do everything for you (he says hopefully). This is what got me tripped up too but once I got sorted out the security settings and updated my OS it worked.

These are the steps that worked for me, not sure if they are all necessary but it worked for me (running macOS Catalina on a MacBook Pro 2014):

1. Update to Catalina!

2. Open Finder, go to Applications, create CoH folder

3. Open System Preferences, go to Security and Privacy, whenever you get an alert that says you can't do something toggle back to this and tell the computer its ok.

4. Download 'Island Rum' https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip this is the current version as of now.

5. Follow any directions it gives you!

I hope this helps