Post here if you're a Mac user having trouble with Island Rum after the August 22 update

GM Capocollo

6 hours ago, EgyptoNerd said:

After some doing I finally found that when I did ls -a there was a .wine.backup folder

Found hidden folder in home directory and deleted it with the COMMAND+SHIFT+.

Launched 64bit client and this time it worked.

Could you provide a few more details here? I'm not the most computer literate...

• Retired Game Master
56 minutes ago, Siphonic said:

Could you provide a few more details here? I'm not the most computer literate...

Look at the second recommended post on the top.  It walks you through how to reveal hidden files.

1 hour ago, Necessity Bear said:

The Homebrew site is telling me to padte a command in to macOS Terminal prompt. 

Im pretty much mac illiterate. Please can some instruct me on where i paste the command in?

*I found 'Terminal' in my Apps>Utilities. I opened it, it brought up a window with some txt in it, but i couldn't edit or add anything?

You should just be able to right-click the Terminal window, choose Paste and hit Enter.

Edited by GM Capocollo

1 hour ago, Siphonic said:

How does one do this? I have no .wine directory to be found, but that seems to be the issue for those facing the problem when nothing happens when you hit the Play button in Island Rum.

Really appreciate everyone's help with this. 

Something else that's happening – when I restart my computer and relaunch Island Rum, it's downloading 182 files, then saying ready to play. But it still doesn't launch. When I perform a re-scan, it downloads the 182 files again. Does this indicate these files aren't downloading correctly? 

I have reinstalled Homebrew, uninstalled+reinstalled wine via Terminal (ls -a shows that there is no .wine hidden folder at this point), run winecfg to generate the config files/.wine folder, and then found the hidden .wine folder in my Home Directory and deleted it. The game still doesn't launch. Is there a way to completely restart the process?

And just to note, I'm installing for the first time today and still not finding a CoH folder anywhere on my computer – just Island Rum.

Again, thanks for the help!

Edited by Siphonic

Same here I have done the Homebrew and all the other steps. Still when I launch Island Rum it goes through checking files and downloading files . Get the green check but it fails to launch COH. I tell it to re-scan or reset the path but still it does not launch. Could it be looking at the wrong files?

Thanks to all who are helping!

• Retired Game Master

Once you've made sure you've wiped out the old .wine settings folder and have installed Wine through homebrew, follow the steps for installing from scratch in this thread: 

There's still a couple things you have to configure that don't make it completely fire-and-forget.

On 8/22/2019 at 11:08 AM, BollWeevil said:

Right now I tried opening the game. I'm getting the messages "Beginning update," "Creating Holding Area 100%", and it's blinking saying "Scanning," but nothing has happened for about an hour now. I did update homebrew and wine.

I'm getting the exact same thing. Checking the Unity Player log, I see a lot of messages like

UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/private/var/folders/kf/gwsv0dmd6rl021zm7khjfj9r0000gp/T/AppTranslocation/D70BADF9-2F2F-4C56-B2C7-6A8F14534D38/d/old" is denied.
  at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectoriesInternal (System.String path) [0x0005e] in <c95265f74fdf4905bfb0d5a4b652216c>:0 
  at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory (System.String path) [0x0008f] in <c95265f74fdf4905bfb0d5a4b652216c>:0 
  at PatchScript.SelfUpdateComplete () [0x0013e] in <08d08a55f22e46f6876f966afcd6f157>:0 
  at PatchScript.Update () [0x003e1] in <08d08a55f22e46f6876f966afcd6f157>:0 

(Filename: <c95265f74fdf4905bfb0d5a4b652216c> Line: 0)

ETA: 

/private/var/folders is for 'per user temp files and caching.' This seems to be a permissions issue, but the permissions on everything under kf/ look ok, so *shrug*

MOAR ETA:

The directories under AppTranslocation/ do *not* have the correct permissions

OK, YOU KNOW WHAT?

File are actually being written, it's just the d/old directory can't be written to, because it doesn't exist. I don't know what's going on. Maybe I need to be more patient 😣

Edited by Maricus the Aged

It seems that some of you have OLD copies of Island Rum or are still running the last beta.  If you have either one and are trying to get into the game, download this:

https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

If you wish to try out the NEW beta cycle, download this:

https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac-beta.zip

The new beta no longer requires an external Homebrew install.  It will also install the Wineskin client if you're using a macOS below Sierra (10.12).  You should install it using an administrator (non-limited) account.

21 hours ago, Leandro said:

At the moment the focus is on players who can't run it at all; if you can run it in Safe Mode, stick to it for now. Once we got everyone running the game somehow we can focus on fixes for those who can only run it in Safe Mode.

Gotcha. I figured the best help I can do is be one less player for the overworked GMs and Devs to worry about. I'll just wait for the dust to settle and the major update to stabilise.

You guys are doing fantastic work! You people rock!

Trying to install everything on a third Mac, of which I am an admin. Updated IR is installed, but now getting this when I try to install Homebrew via terminal:

==> Downloading and installing Homebrew...

error: could not lock config file /usr/local/Homebrew/.git/config: Permission denied

fatal: could not set 'core.repositoryformatversion' to '0'

Failed during: git init -q

Any idea how to fix this? I'm an admin and have read and write privileges, so I'm stumped as to what to do next.

I hadn't realized that homebrew said it is not supported by my old operating system 10.11.xx. It was having trouble installing wine as well. so I updated to High Sierra 10.13.6 after realizing that all of my apps will still work in this newer (old) OS. Deleted all my old COH files uninstalled homebrew from their FAQ, reinstalled and started from scratch from Dredds guide . This time Everything went through with no hang-ups and i downloaded the files and I am able to log-in and play. I'm lagging A LOT but lowering the graphics quality has helped. I am assuming others (if anyone) that was still using 10.11.xx will not be able to successfully log either.

I'm not as computer savvy as all the others in here so I am a bit confused and more than likely in over my head with this stuff. I want to thank everyone who helped me get this far with your guides and info. Before I was able to click on a COH app but now I am going directly to the Island Rum app and there is a COH folder instead of the app. The only other difference is the Safe Modes are greyed out - All that being said I'm on an 8 year old laptop 😉 and able to play! 😄

Edited by fancy ketchup
mistyped shtuff

On 8/22/2019 at 12:12 PM, Firetrap said:

This is what worked for me, based on Manga's instructions (updated two Macs - a MacBook Pro and an iMac, both running Mojave):

1. Make sure Island Rum is updated to version 082220191. Shut it down.

2.  Install Homebrew and Wine via your Terminal (located under Applications/Utilities. You need to run it as the admin for your Mac as it will ask you for your Mac password).  Follow the instructions at http://brew.sh first, and after Homebrew installs, run "brew install wine" in Terminal.

3. When all that is done (take a few minutes), re- open Island Rum. You should see some progress bars updating and installing. If you don't, open the first drop-down menu (the palm tree) and select RESCAN. (You could probably rescan either way, just to double-check). When that's done, close Island Rum and re-start your Mac.

4. Upon re-boot, re-open Island Rum, make sure "Homecoming 64-bit" is selected and proceed as you normally have done. 

That should do it! (I hope) 🙂

The above steps worked for me! It did take a while, so be patient, but in the end this worked. Thank you Firetrap!

On 8/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, Firetrap said:

This is what worked for me, based on Manga's instructions (updated two Macs - a MacBook Pro and an iMac, both running Mojave):

2.  Install Homebrew and Wine via your Terminal (located under Applications/Utilities. You need to run it as the admin for your Mac as it will ask you for your Mac password).  Follow the instructions at http://brew.sh first, and after Homebrew installs, run "brew install wine" in Terminal.

3. When all that is done (take a few minutes), re- open Island Rum. You should see some progress bars updating and installing. If you don't, open the first drop-down menu (the palm tree) and select RESCAN. (You could probably rescan either way, just to double-check). When that's done, close Island Rum and re-start your Mac.

4. Upon re-boot, re-open Island Rum, make sure "Homecoming 64-bit" is selected and proceed as you normally have done. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is what worked for me!

After skipping a day (stupid IRL day job!), I started over and reinstalled everything step by step.  One step I was previously not doing that I saw in another thread was to reset the path to the 'coh' folder in Island Rum ("Palm Tree" icon -> Reset Path -> select coh folder).  I did that, relaunched IR, and it downloaded 28 updates.  I launched the game and was able to successfully log in, but the game client crashed with a fatal exception error trying to load the point of entry zone (Founder's Falls, in my case).  After quitting, when I relaunched IR it then downloaded 36 updates.  Once the second update round was done, I was able to log in and play the game, 64-bit and all!

So to summarize, here are the steps that were necessary for me to get the client to a running state on my system after upgrading from the 32-bit client:

• Reinstall Island Rum 082220191 or later (I'm on 082220193)
  • From Terminal in my user home folder, run 'rm -rf ~/.wine'
  • Reinstall wine ('brew reinstall wine' in terminal, and may not have been necessary, but it's a step I did)
  • Run 'wine cfg' in terminal; in the window that appears, click 'Done' to save defaults (again, not sure if necessary or not)
  • Under the Palm Tree icon:
    • Verify correct manifest (https://patch.savecoh.com/manifest.xml)
    • Click Rescan to reinstall game content
    • Reset Path as described above
  • Re-launch game client to acquire updates (28 files patched)
  • Re-launch game client again to acquire more updates (36 files patched)
  • Launch game successfully

All of that may or may not be necessary for others, but I hope it's helpful for anyone still not able to launch the game after the update.

And on a separate but related note, I would just like to say a heartfelt THANK YOU to @Manga for putting in the herculean effort on the client update.  If it weren't for them, I wouldn't be playing my favorite game right now.  THANK YOU!! 🤘

Edited by Nightclaw

2 hours ago, Firetrap said:

Trying to install everything on a third Mac, of which I am an admin. Updated IR is installed, but now getting this when I try to install Homebrew via terminal:

==> Downloading and installing Homebrew...

error: could not lock config file /usr/local/Homebrew/.git/config: Permission denied

fatal: could not set 'core.repositoryformatversion' to '0'

Failed during: git init -q

Any idea how to fix this? I'm an admin and have read and write privileges, so I'm stumped as to what to do next.

Assuming that you are logged in as an administrator account, then this sounds like a permissions problem. Please open Terminal and copy and paste this:

diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`

Once the disk utility process has run, copy and paste the following into Terminal:

/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

Let this script run. It may take a while. Once it is finished, copy and paste this into Terminal:

brew install wine

Let this finish, then copy the following into Terminal:

rm -fr .wine

Finally, copy this into Terminal:

wine start

After this has finished, you can close Terminal and open Island Rum. It should run as expected.

3 hours ago, fancy ketchup said:

I am assuming others (if anyone) that was still using 10.11.xx will not be able to successfully log either.

I hope this isn't so. My workhorse is intentionally on 10.11.xx for work because my apps don't work so well on the newer OS. I have a newer macbook, but I don't enjoy playing on a laptop. =(

So far, I can still run the Safe Mode after all the updates. Waiting for a more stable and hopefully one-click installation from Manga in the coming days.

On 8/22/2019 at 12:12 PM, Firetrap said:

This really helped, especially the "rescan" part.  More people need to see this post!  Worked perfectly.  Thanks!

If you're adding a Windows-based utility to your CoH, you should know that the CoH application in MacOS is actually what's called a 'package'.

If you right-click (or control-click, for those of you who are truly old-school and only have one mouse button) on your CoH application, select 'Show Package Contents', and you'll find yourself in a directory structure that appears to be 'inside' your application.

You might have an alias to a 'drive_c' directory; if not, you can find it under Contents -> Resources.

Treat the drive_c directory as the C:/ portion of a Windows file path, so assuming you want to put the data folder for vidiotmaps (as an example) in C:/Program Files/coh, you'd put that folder into the drive_c/Program Files/coh directory within the City of Heroes package.

Hope that helps!