Post here if you're a Mac user having trouble with Island Rum after the August 22 update

GM Capocollo

I've done the brew stuff. I've done the Island Rum stuff. I open Island Rum. I selected 64-bit version. It starts up. I login. I accept the user agreement (which doesn't appear). I select my character. It looks like everything is going smoothly and then the progress bar for Atlas Park (where my character was last) gets to about 75-80% and never progresses. I have to Force Quit to get out of it. Any ideas?

Here's my hardware and I'm running Mojave 10.14.6.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,5

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: 194.0.0.0.0

Did something change today?  (Wednesday Aug 28)

I had everything working just fine since the Big Mac changes and all was good...  But this morning when I started Island Rum it looked like it downloaded an update (It is now Build 082820191) and it says "Could Not Detect Game Client" 😞

I have tried resetting path to Applications/CoH but that does nothing to change anything.  If I try to rescan it will start downloading files but end after like 3 and closes itself.  I can't check manifest as trying to doesn't even bring that up...

Anyone else??

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Caemgen said:

I had everything working just fine since the Big Mac changes and all was good...  But this morning when I started Island Rum it looked like it downloaded an update (It is now Build 082820191) and it says "Could Not Detect Game Client" 😞

I have tried resetting path to Applications/CoH but that does nothing to change anything.  If I try to rescan it will start downloading files but end after like 3 and closes itself.  I can't check manifest as trying to doesn't even bring that up...

Anyone else??

I'm the same.  I'd gotten everything working.  Then, today, going in through Island Rum, it says "Beginning Update" but never does anything.  I cannot even get into the game client.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ammon1 said:

I'm the same.  I'd gotten everything working.  Then, today, going in through Island Rum, it says "Beginning Update" but never does anything.  I cannot even get into the game client.

Ok, I got back in...

After resetting path to Applications/CoH  I had to choose the Install Client or some similar option that popped up with it saying it could not detect game client.  I was reluctant 'cause doing so said it was reinstalling wine but I decided to go with it and it worked...

Good luck.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ammon1 said:

Likewise - I jumped through a 100 hoops to get it running when the 64 bit update dropped. Then I didn't play for a few days and now I can't get in. Island Rum is tell me this. Can you you help please@Manga?

Island_Rum_and_Post_here_if_you_re_a_Mac_user_having_trouble_with_Island_Rum_after_the_August_22_update_-_Help___Support_-_Homecoming.jpg

• Like 1

Have you tried looking at the log file to see if anything shows up there?

tail -F ~/Library/Logs/Time\ Sync/Island\ Rum/Player.log

Is what I tend to having running in a terminal (iTerm2 by preference) so I can just check its all happy (which often its not, but we are definitely getting there!)

@MangaCan we please talk about the "automatic updates you cannot opt out of"?

People get configurations working, then they suddenly break, for no obvious reasons. Unlike some other unfortunate souls, I've been able to play fine this whole time, but island rum updated today and now I'm stuck with the wineskin popup rather than the working game I had immediately prior to the auto-update.

(also, for some reason, it is greying out the 64-bit clients, not the safe mode client, and giving the 'may not work' warning).

I was playing fine yesterday and even earlier this morning on the current version of the client from homecoming. My copy of island rum has unnecessarily bricked itself, and this isn't the first time this has happened to someone.

Edit: Apparently safe mode works now. That's... something, at least. But I had a working 64-bit client prior to this mandatory update, though, and the fact I now don't is extremely offputting. Why do you keep changing things arbitrarily without giving users any choice in what version they run?

Edited by esotericist
additional details
  • Like 1

I installed Homebrew and brew install wine through the terminal.

Then when I launch Island Rum, launcher stays in scan mode. 

It reads: Wine Client Detected.

Can you guys help me out? 

Thanks!

IMG_2522.jpg

Edited by Gibson99

14 minutes ago, esotericist said:

While I would like an option to Install Now or Wait, I would also likely always wait until things were so out of date that I couldn't play...  

IMO, Manga does an awesome job and works hard for us and if I have to suffer through some fumbling and bumbling rather than take away even more time from him having to make things optional or such... *shrug*. I trust to the Manga-goodness.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, esotericist said:

I was playing fine yesterday and even earlier this morning on the current version of the client from homecoming. My copy of island rum has unnecessarily bricked itself, and this isn't the first time this has happened to someone.

Edit: Apparently safe mode works now. That's... something, at least. But I had a working 64-bit client prior to this mandatory update, though, and the fact I now don't is extremely offputting. Why do you keep changing things arbitrarily without giving users any choice in what version they run?

Same issue. I'm going to try reinstalling. Please tag me if you find a fix.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ernesto said:

Have you tried looking at the log file to see if anything shows up there?

tail -F ~/Library/Logs/Time\ Sync/Island\ Rum/Player.log

Is what I tend to having running in a terminal (iTerm2 by preference) so I can just check its all happy (which often its not, but we are definitely getting there!)

I'm really sorry @Ernestobut I don't know how to "look at the log file and see if anything shows up there". I also don't know what I'd be looking for

So I fixed the issue by doing  a complete wipe and reinstall following these instructions:

1  Type "brew remove wine" in Terminal

2.  Type "rm -R ~/.wine" in Terminal, and type it very carefully.

3.  Delete any copies of "CoH.app" or "City of Heroes.app" in the Applications folder. Also delete any folders called CoH and any Island Rum Apps

$. Download and run http://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

5. Island Rum will ask you to install a Game Client.  It will install Wine if you're using macOS > 10.11, or Wineskin if you're using other macOS.  The Wine install will be in a "wine" folder inside /Applications/coh, and Wineskin will be an app called "CoH.app" in Applications.

Tagging @chicklit

Edited by Astrobear
Made clearer
  • Thanks 2

On 8/22/2019 at 11:08 AM, BollWeevil said:

Right now I tried opening the game. I'm getting the messages "Beginning update," "Creating Holding Area 100%", and it's blinking saying "Scanning," but nothing has happened for about an hour now. I did update homebrew and wine.

not sure if this was answered earlier, but I had the same problem.   Drag 'Island Rum' into the Applications/ directory and run from there.   Seems it needs to be in that directory (mine was in Download before) to update properly.

2 hours ago, Caemgen said:

Anyone else??

Don't know if I should wipe and reinstall or wait it out but I am having the same issue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fancy ketchup said:

Don't know if I should wipe and reinstall or wait it out but I am having the same issue.

2 hours ago, Caemgen said:

Ok, I got back in...

After resetting path to Applications/CoH  I had to choose the Install Client or some similar option that popped up with it saying it could not detect game client.  I was reluctant 'cause doing so said it was reinstalling wine but I decided to go with it and it worked...

Good luck.

So try that before a wipe and reinstall....

1 hour ago, esotericist said:

People get configurations working, then they suddenly break, for no obvious reasons. Unlike some other unfortunate souls, I've been able to play fine this whole time, but island rum updated today and now I'm stuck with the wineskin popup rather than the working game I had immediately prior to the auto-update.

(also, for some reason, it is greying out the 64-bit clients, not the safe mode client, and giving the 'may not work' warning).

If you remove CoH.app and City of Heroes.app from the Applications folder and relaunch Island Rum, it will use its new private Wine client.  The 64-bit client never launched with Wineskin - it's only capable of launching 32-bit builds.

Island Rum auto-updates because I don't want to maintain and support a bunch of different versions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astrobear said:

So I fixed the issue by doing  a complete wipe and reinstall following these instructions:

1  Type "brew remove wine" in Terminal

2.  Type "rm -R ~/.wine" in Terminal, and type it very carefully.

3.  Move any copies of "CoH.app" or "City of Heroes.app" out of the Applications folder. Also delete any folders called CoH and any Island Rum Apps

$. Download and run http://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

5. Island Rum will ask you to install a Game Client.  It will install Wine if you're using macOS > 10.11, or Wineskin if you're using other macOS.  The Wine install will be in a "wine" folder inside /Applications/coh, and Wineskin will be an app called "CoH.app" in Applications.

Tagging @chicklit

@Astrobear The 64-Bit version had been working fine on my Mac since the update until this afternoon when I experienced the same issue as you. I followed your steps above, and thought I was good to go. However when I go to launch the game, the green checkmark appears, but nothing happens. Also as you can see the Safe Modes are greyed out. Is there a step I missed somewhere? Appreciate your help.

edit: just saw @Manga's post below mine, which at least provides an explanation as to what happened. Now I just need to figure out how to make the game work again lol

edit #2: Restarted my Mac and all is well now 🙂

spacer.png

Edited by Certified Comic Shop
update 2

The former beta went live today, I just didn't have time to post notes as I'm at work:

- Now handles installation of the Wine client or Wineskin client more or less correctly all by itself.  Which one you get is determined by the macOS version you're using.  Anything below 10.12 gets Wineskin.

- The Wine client is now a private one.  Island Rum bypasses Homebrew entirely, downloads its Wine 4.0.1, and installs it in the coh folder.  It also remaps the Wine preference location so it doesn't interfere with people who are also using Homebrew wine.

- Launchers will appear greyed out if they are not supported by the current client you're using.  For instance Wine can't launch the Legacy client, so it will be greyed out.  On Catalina, all except the 64-bit launchers will be greyed out.

- Command-line addition is now more reliable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Manga said:

If you remove CoH.app and City of Heroes.app from the Applications folder and relaunch Island Rum, it will use its new private Wine client.  The 64-bit client never launched with Wineskin - it's only capable of launching 32-bit builds.

Island Rum auto-updates because I don't want to maintain and support a bunch of different versions.

6 minutes ago, Caemgen said:

So try that before a wipe and reinstall....

😆 I missed that post where you got in. It just finished downloading now aaaand looks like its working thanks!

2 hours ago, esotericist said:

This is exactly my experience as well. Logged on this morning fine, but now i'm getting the same pop-up. 

Will try in safe mode. thx.

Edited by Necessity Bear
*I can log in to my account and get to the character select screen in safe mode. But i crash zoning in to the game.

1 minute ago, Necessity Bear said:

No, i haven't. Im still reading through the rest of the thread.

How do i do that pls?

With Island Rum up, the tree icon in top left corner.  Select that then select Reset Path.  It should point to Applications/CoH