Post here if you're a Mac user having trouble with Island Rum after the August 22 update

GM Capocollo

I keep getting Island Run build 191, but I see screen shots of clients 192 and 193. Where can I get those?

I've deleted wine, tried the new client (Always gets MD5 error when downloading mac client wineskin)

So, Manga. Today after your newest build, 082920191, I still cannot get the 32 bit or 64 bit wine clients to work. Safe Mode is greyed out. However, if I put a copy of the wineskin CoH.app back in my applications folder Island Rum updates the files in the app package, greys out the the 64 bit launcher, and enables the Safe Mode. The 32 bit launcher launches the game but the 32 bit client throws a critical error (says it attempts to divide by zero, and will display debug code on request) and exits. I'm suspecting that's probably not a problem with Island Rum, since it will launch and run successfully in the Safe Mode.

Looking at it now, and comparing it to how the game was running last week, I think I did have the 64 bit working before this last update. It's only since this last update that breaks it. Based off of what you have posted, I'm wondering if the private wine client is the problem? Because it seems to have worked when it was under regular wine, just not since you had it run as a private copy. I'm thinking that, for some reason or another, the private wine isn't running/launching at all, but since I have no programming experience, I cannot test or check this. BTW, I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 on a Late 2014 Mac Mini, with 3Ghz i7, and 8GB DDR3 RAM.

Anyways, leaving this here mostly as feedback for you to consider or look at.

Takehai

Global Handle @Night.Fyre

Confirmed Alt-oholic....

iMac El Capitan  (10.11.5) installation update. Steps I followed.

1. Download http://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

2. Download http://telstar.eekstudio.com/macclient-wineskin.zip

3. Open download folder and double click on each of them to extract 'Island Rum' and 'CoH' applications.

4. Copy both applications into your /Applications folder

5. (may be optional)  Create a 'coh' folder in your Applications folder.  I already had one, but I think Island Rum might create one for you.

6. Start 'Island Rum'  Hopefully it will detect your CoH client (also in Applications folder)

7. Click the palm tree icon in the main window (upper left) and choose reset path

- Don't select anything. Click once on the top bar that says '/Applications'. Nothing will change in the text box.

- Double click in the text box and type coh

- Click the floppy disk icon to the right of the textbox to save (It's next to the X)

8. Click the palm tree icon in the main menu and select 'Re-Scan'

If you have trouble running the first time, restart your mac and try again.

You should also check the manifest menu under the plam tree to make sure it says:  http://patch.savecoh.com/manifest.xml

A big thanks to the guys in discord for helping me figure this out.

Good luck everyone!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Garble said:

Yesterday I was able to run Safe Mode. But today it said it couldn't unzip islandrum-mac.zip (which is weird because this is the unzipped file that gave the app I was trying to run)

So I downloaded it from here again: https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

And after unzipping it, moving Island Rum.app to my Applications folder, ran it (Which says Build 082920191 btw) and got the message:

"Can not find NCLauncher! Please locate the application, run it, and try this shortcut again."

I tried clicking on the palm tree icon, Reset Path (3rd option) and finding /Applications/CoH.app but not finding NCLauncher anywhere. Also tried /Applications/City of Heroes.app

Thank you for the response! (And everything else you do!)

Interestingly, I tried closing Island Rum and just clicking on the CoH.app in my Applications folder, and it worked!

There must me some way that my Island Rum isn't pointing in the right place?

• Like 1

I think I'm finally starting to hit a wall.  

I have two Macs, one running Mojave (10.14.6) and the other running Catalina (10.15) beta.  I can launch both the internal Wine and Wineskin clients on Mojave (I don't have the Cider one anymore), and the internal Wine on Catalina just fine.  In fact, they run really well.  I've tried doing clean installs of each type of client multiple times, to make sure I didn't make modifications that cause it to work only on my system.  Yet it seems the more I successfully test it, the less people are able to run it successfully.  

I don't really know what to do at this point.  I feel like the only way I'll ever be able to get the Mac client working perfectly for everyone is to either spend hundreds of hours trial-and-error testing and building a customized version of Island Rum for each and every Mac player individually, or I'm going to need to spend a ton of money I can't afford on a huge array of Mac models and macOS versions so I can test every single possible scenario - and then probably still miss a few.  Either way, I feel like I'm reaching for an unobtainable goal, and that this thing I'm trying to do is something only a very large company with an unlimited budget and large staff can pull off successfully.

I'm going to wait a while and see if these problems work themselves out, because I'm afraid if I make more changes that I'm unable to test the way you're seeing it (because it continues to work fine for me) it's going to prevent even  more people from using it.  If I find something really obvious, I might publish an update, but at this point my confidence in being able to fix the problems that are left without making things worse is really low.

EDIT:  The MD5 error was caused by an bad MD5 in the update system on the server, it's been fixed.

Edited by Manga
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know nothing about computers but after a week of trying i got it to work. I tried everything on hereabout nothing worked until i did a complete install. Uninstall everything and do a fresh install . after that it started right up. i think the key is too do a fresh install.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 2:12 PM, Firetrap said:

This is what worked for me, based on Manga's instructions (updated two Macs - a MacBook Pro and an iMac, both running Mojave):

1. Make sure Island Rum is updated to version 082220191. Shut it down.

2.  Install Homebrew and Wine via your Terminal (located under Applications/Utilities. You need to run it as the admin for your Mac as it will ask you for your Mac password).  Follow the instructions at http://brew.sh first, and after Homebrew installs, run "brew install wine" in Terminal.

3. When all that is done (take a few minutes), re- open Island Rum. You should see some progress bars updating and installing. If you don't, open the first drop-down menu (the palm tree) and select RESCAN. (You could probably rescan either way, just to double-check). When that's done, close Island Rum and re-start your Mac.

4. Upon re-boot, re-open Island Rum, make sure "Homecoming 64-bit" is selected and proceed as you normally have done. 

That should do it! (I hope) 🙂

This worked for me!  It worked with Island Rum version 082920191.  Thank you so much @Firetrap!

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 11:55 AM, Caemgen said:

Unfortunately I am not the tech savviest either and I wasn't taking notes on what I did or such...

But...

I started Island Rum and clicked the Tree Silhouette icon in top left corner.  

I chose Reset Path which is third option down.

I used the arrows to navigate around to Applications then clicked the CoH folder in Application.

With Island Rum now knowing where my CoH folder was I got a little option in the center of Island Rum that I at first mistook as just a background or such.  It had two options, Install and Cancel as I recall.  I was hesitant at first 'cause when I have in and chose Install it said it was installing Wine and I *thought* I had done that last update via the Terminal...  But nothing else was working so I let it install...

And it worked.  Once it did it's little install I was back in game.  🙂

Thanks for your further advice.

I'm in the reset path screen and ive found one folder called coh and another called CoH.app. When i select either it just opens it up and shows me the files inside the folder.

My question (to anyone reading) is which of these two is the relevant folder?

And how do i actually 'reset the path'? Is there a file within that i need to select?

Sorry if my questions are incredibly dumb. I am currently running in safe mode, so i feel like im only a couple of steps from getting this to work properly and i dont want it balls it up using my 'initiative' 🙂

Cheers

EDIT because this worked for me...

I moved the CoH app from /Applications to /Applications/coh/

When I launched Island Rum, it couldn't find the client and began downloading. Once finished, both HC 32 and 64 were now blue. I launched 64, and a window popped up saying that it was updating Wine. Once it finished, 64 launched without a hitch.

I don't understand this stuff, so I have no idea why this worked.

I think I’ve tried everything mentioned so far. Homecoming (32) attempts to launch then crashes with a “divided by zero” error, Homecoming 64 is greyed out and attempting to launch it does nothing—green checkmark appears for a few seconds then returns to normal.

Fortunately, safe mode is still able to launch and is stable, so I’m grateful for that.

For what it’s worth, HC64 was running beautifully until yesterday when I restarted Island Rum and it appeared to download a patch. From that point forward, 64 was greyed out and the problems began

Edited by wednesdaywoe

2 hours ago, Necessity Bear said:

And how do i actually 'reset the path'? Is there a file within that i need to select?

It should be the folder, I am not sure what the CoH.app is...

Seeing attached, you would click the CoH folder, the top left of the attached window should show Applications/CoH then you click the icon on the bottom right...

Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 10.21.47 AM.png

On 8/22/2019 at 8:12 PM, Firetrap said:

This is what worked for me, based on Manga's instructions (updated two Macs - a MacBook Pro and an iMac, both running Mojave):

1. Make sure Island Rum is updated to version 082220191. Shut it down.

I've realised i need to update Island Rum, but I can't see an option. Do I just re-download it from the link in the getting started page? Do I have to de-install the old version first?

Thanks.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Manga said:

I think I'm finally starting to hit a wall.  

I have two Macs, one running Mojave (10.14.6) and the other running Catalina (10.15) beta.  I can launch both the internal Wine and Wineskin clients on Mojave (I don't have the Cider one anymore), and the internal Wine on Catalina just fine.  In fact, they run really well.  I've tried doing clean installs of each type of client multiple times, to make sure I didn't make modifications that cause it to work only on my system.  Yet it seems the more I successfully test it, the less people are able to run it successfully.  

I don't really know what to do at this point.  I feel like the only way I'll ever be able to get the Mac client working perfectly for everyone is to either spend hundreds of hours trial-and-error testing and building a customized version of Island Rum for each and every Mac player individually, or I'm going to need to spend a ton of money I can't afford on a huge array of Mac models and macOS versions so I can test every single possible scenario - and then probably still miss a few.  Either way, I feel like I'm reaching for an unobtainable goal, and that this thing I'm trying to do is something only a very large company with an unlimited budget and large staff can pull off successfully.

I'm going to wait a while and see if these problems work themselves out, because I'm afraid if I make more changes that I'm unable to test the way you're seeing it (because it continues to work fine for me) it's going to prevent even  more people from using it.  If I find something really obvious, I might publish an update, but at this point my confidence in being able to fix the problems that are left without making things worse is really low.

EDIT:  The MD5 error was caused by an bad MD5 in the update system on the server, it's been fixed.

Manga, I think what would help more than continued updating at this point is if you could write up an installation guide (or perhaps an upgrade guide) that could be stickied in its own thread.  It would need to include the steps that aren't obvious (for me, that was using brew to install wine because all the threads kept talking about removing and deleting wine first).  Also, it would be great if there were separate (even if similar) instructions for older Macs that can't run the 64-bit client but would like to use the new 32-bit client (still haven't gotten that to work).

We may not always say it (especially when things are rough), but we really appreciate all the time and effort you have put in to make it possible for all of us to play CoH again!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, QuantumSin said:

Manga, I think what would help more than continued updating at this point is if you could write up an installation guide (or perhaps an upgrade guide) that could be stickied in its own thread.  It would need to include the steps that aren't obvious (for me, that was using brew to install wine because all the threads kept talking about removing and deleting wine first).  Also, it would be great if there were separate (even if similar) instructions for older Macs that can't run the 64-bit client but would like to use the new 32-bit client (still haven't gotten that to work).

We may not always say it (especially when things are rough), but we really appreciate all the time and effort you have put in to make it possible for all of us to play CoH again!

If I knew what to put in an installation guide I'd write one!

Island Rum is designed to be able to install its own Wine client, so the Homebrew stuff is no longer necessary - which will also solve the problem of what happens if the Homebrew version upgrades.  It also installs its own pre-made Wineskin client, which would have been virtually impossible if it had to be custom installed for each person.  It even creates its own settings that Homebrew doesn't use to keep the two from being tangled.

So logically, the only permanent instructions should be:  1.  Download Island Rum from https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip  2.  Launch Island Rum and let it install its stuff.

Where I'm getting buried is there are dozens of combinations of different starting points and factors on each individual computer that leads to an absolute nightmare of a troubleshooting tree.  I've been gradually making changes to Island Rum to try and remove a lot of those differing factors and force as many of those computers as possible to "fit the mold" so the install works properly.  Unfortunately it's just not enough.  I stopped updating it for now because the causes/effects/solutions are becoming even more random to the point where I can't duplicate them anymore.  The more guesses *I* make, the more changes I make, the more of a moving target this becomes.  So I'm leaving it alone (pending any discovered serious issues) until I can aim the next change at a much bigger target.  That target is looking more and more like I'm going to have to force the install path and remove the Reset Path option, but we'll see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

For anyone who has come through the discord channel with Mac issues, and who might come in the future, your computer OS version, plus when you were able to play and when it stopped working are important. Some of the steps change in terms of how to fix the issue. Some people will need to have a CoH app in applications. Most don't.

The best steps are to fresh install as manga said, then restart your computer. If you need troubleshooting help, I'm sure either me, or someone will be around on discord to help you out.

By the way, manga, thank you very much for island rum and giving us a way to play CoH again and thank you for all the time and effort you've put into solving as many issues as you could. 

Edited by EgyptoNerd
Give thanks and respect

To my mind, the install instructions are (for version using 64 bit wine, not sure about older versions that need wineskin/32 bit client):

1. Remove (or move) CoH.app (at least move it out of /Applications)
  2. Download Island Rum from https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip 
  3. Move Island Rum.app from Download folder to /Applications
  4. Start Island Rum (should show build 082920191 currently)
  5. Reset Path in Island Rum to /Applications/coh (palm tree button, 3rd option down)
  6. Restart Island Run (probably not required but Hey Ho!)
  7. Ensure that it downloads wine locally (ie within the /Applications/coh folder, should create a wine directory). It misleadingly refers to this as "Game Client Not Detected!", just click "Install" and you will see it start to download wine.
  8. Let is update and download manifest 
  9. Ensure it shows an option for "Homecoming 64-bit"
Edited by Ernesto
added build number
  • Like 7

Was able to play in safe mode but took this morning to try and see if I could figure out 64-bit.  Once I read through this thread, realized I had two versions of the installer and kept toggling between them, and came to the set of steps that basically @Ernestoabove captures perfectly I can play 64-bit.

An important note is that the version number is "MMDDYYYY + BUILD".  I lost some time wondering why I had seen people with build 193 [turned out 08-22-2019 + 3] and I had 191 [turned out 08-29-2019 + 1].  Finally clued in when I found that info in the thread.

@MangaThank you for all this work.  You are the only target people have to express their frustration at not being able to play a game they love.  Don't let it get you down.

• Like 1

So I am getting something odd. So the 64 Bit is greyed out. When I launch it tries to launch my old NC Soft Launcher. If I launch CoH from the folder I originally made for homecoming it says it's not the updated version.  Yet everything appears to be pointed at it. OSX 10.13.6

Edited by War Patriot

I've been wresting with it and re-installing last night and today, but i fixed it with a very simple solution.

make sure your Island Rum is in the Applications folder, and also that your CoH.app is INSIDE the coh folder in your applications.  Then reset the path to that coh folder, and re-scan.  64-bit should stop being greyed-out, and I was able to load the game.  

Might be good to uninstall and reinstall before this anyway, just to be safe.  And give it a reboot. 

• Like 1

I have an iMac with High Sierra (can't install Mojave).  Until the update, I was able to get Island Rum to start CoH.  After the update it will not.  I have uninstalled, and re-installed Island Rum several times.  Island Rum starts and loads the manifest without error.  When I click on the blue triangle, the green checkmark appears, but after a minute or so, it disappears and CoH does not start at all.  No errors, it just won't run.  

8 hours ago, jade2g said:

I have an iMac with High Sierra (can't install Mojave).  Until the update, I was able to get Island Rum to start CoH.  After the update it will not.  I have uninstalled, and re-installed Island Rum several times.  Island Rum starts and loads the manifest without error.  When I click on the blue triangle, the green checkmark appears, but after a minute or so, it disappears and CoH does not start at all.  No errors, it just won't run.  

Installing Winetricks fixed this issue for me.  In Terminal, type "brew install winetricks" then reboot and see if it will launch then.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 7:21 AM, wednesdaywoe said:

EDIT because this worked for me...

I moved the CoH app from /Applications to /Applications/coh/

When I launched Island Rum, it couldn't find the client and began downloading. Once finished, both HC 32 and 64 were now blue. I launched 64, and a window popped up saying that it was updating Wine. Once it finished, 64 launched without a hitch.

I don't understand this stuff, so I have no idea why this worked.

After being unable to play for over a week, this worked for me. Wednesday Woe, you're the real MVP.

Edited by Bozack
  • Like 1