Post here if you're a Mac user having trouble with Island Rum after the August 22 update

GM Capocollo

On 9/4/2019 at 2:57 AM, Lady Blue said:

Installing Winetricks fixed this issue for me.  In Terminal, type "brew install winetricks" then reboot and see if it will launch then.

The install of Winetricks worked without error.  I have now rebooted twice.  Unfortunately, the result is the same.  Island Rum starts and loads the manifest without error.  I click on the arrow and the green checkmark appears, but then after about a minute, it goes away and CoH does not load.  No errors.

On 9/5/2019 at 12:22 AM, Bozack said:

After being unable to play for over a week, this worked for me. Wednesday Woe, you're the real MVP.

Hurrah and harumble!  This worked like a charm for me as well.  After a spotty week of playing in safe mode and then even having that fall apart, this seems to have done the trick.  Thanks, WWoe!

As I mentioned in another topic, Island Rum appears to have started updating the wrong directory in the City of Heroes.app (the Safe Mode Cider) package.  It's putting the updates in Contents/Resources/Transgaming/drive_c/coh , when they should be going into Contents/Resources/Transgaming/c_drive/coh, and I have to move the /piggs and /updates folders over manually.

Could it be doing that for all versions of the Mac client?  That might explain the NCSoft Launcher errors (the game is in one directory, but Island Rum is trying to launch from an old directory from when the game was live), maybe?

Edited by Williwaw
Making the differences in directory paths bold for easier viewing.

37 minutes ago, Williwaw said:

As I mentioned in another topic, Island Rum appears to have started updating the wrong directory in the City of Heroes.app (the Safe Mode Cider) package.  It's putting the updates in Contents/Resources/Transgaming/drive_c/coh , when they should be going into Contents/Resources/Transgaming/c_drive/coh, and I have to move the /piggs and /updates folders over manually.

Could it be doing that for all versions of the Mac client?  That might explain the NCSoft Launcher errors (the game is in one directory, but Island Rum is trying to launch from an old directory from when the game was live), maybe?

How do I find these directories and move them? Help?

On 8/31/2019 at 8:23 AM, Caemgen said:

It should be the folder, I am not sure what the CoH.app is...

Seeing attached, you would click the CoH folder, the top left of the attached window should show Applications/CoH then you click the icon on the bottom right...

Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 10.21.47 AM.png

That's weird, I don't have the CoH folder at all

53 minutes ago, Stockton2Malone said:

How do I find these directories and move them? Help?

Right-click (or control-click) the City of Heroes.app file and select "Show Package Contents".  You'll see the Contents folder there, and then just follow it down.  Inside of both drive_c and c_drive there's a folder called coh.  Move or copy drive_c/coh/piggs and drive_c/coh/updates into the place of their c_drive/coh counterparts.

Admittedly, though, that's for the Cider client.  I don't know what the exact path should be for the old Wine client, CoH.app.  It looks like drive_c is the correct path for that, but it's Contents -> Resources -> drive_c -> Program Files -> coh.  I don't use that client, because it doesn't work right in 10.10, but it might work better in anything newer.

Hey all, same issue as everyone else. I've tried all the solutions presented -- Firetrap's (installing brew, wine, and winetricks; reinstall and reboot), Wednesday Woe's, creating a "coh" folder in apps and ensuring my drive uses the default name, etc. No .wine directory to delete, for what it's worth. 

64bit is selectable but, like everyone else, when I click the arrow I get a little checkmark, which disappears after a few seconds and then...nothing. My fan starts going crazy at that point, though, and Rum seems to be taking up between 60 and 350 %CPU...

Current situation of my apps folder: Island Rum, "coh" subfolder with the CoH client and a bunch of files (including "wine" with a 4.0.1 subfolder).

No idea what to do now

Edited by mada34

What's up with the Complete Holding Area 100% in Island Rum then proceeding to promptly DO NOTHING discernable for a long time (until you quit the client, basically).

Weirdly enough, I can command Island Rum to do a Rescan, and it will then not only "find" my installation of the game client but allow me to launch it and play it.

So there's a workaround for the Complete Holding Area 100% dead end trap, but it makes remarkably little sense.  @Manga?

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

1 hour ago, Redlynne said:

What's up with the Complete Holding Area 100% in Island Rum then proceeding to promptly DO NOTHING discernable for a long time (until you quit the client, basically).

Weirdly enough, I can command Island Rum to do a Rescan, and it will then not only "find" my installation of the game client but allow me to launch it and play it.

So there's a workaround for the Complete Holding Area 100% dead end trap, but it makes remarkably little sense.  @Manga?

I got the same thing, but it looks like it loads the game in 8 bit mode and no windows...?

*updating a screen shot for reference.  Got windows back but looks like 16 bit Sega.561499104_ScreenShot2019-09-14at9_59_06PM.thumb.png.b868fd8a98225a1a9c8cf2b8cce5bea6.png

Edited by jhuang916
Update

12 hours ago, Redlynne said:

I've heard of that happening, but I can't figure out why.  It's part of the self-update process, so downloading a new copy manually would fix it.  I can only guess that it can't create the "old" folder in Applications and move the current app into it so it can replace it for some reason.

12 hours ago, jhuang916 said:

I got the same thing, but it looks like it loads the game in 8 bit mode and no windows...?

*updating a screen shot for reference.  Got windows back but looks like 16 bit Sega.

That's Cel Shader mode, Island Rum doesn't control that.  It's an in-game setting.  I think /usecelshader 0 turns it off.

FYI, Island Rum no longer uses Homebrew Wine.  Well it does, actually, but it installs it by itself in /Applications/coh instead of relying on Homebrew.  It also used a private settings folder for it at ~/.privatewine.  This both takes some work out of installation, and prevents Homebrew updates from breaking things.  The Wine client will work in any macOS at or above 10.12 (Sierra).  Below that, Island Rum will attempt to install the Wineskin client.  The Wineskin client is neither necessary or optimal above 10.12.

If you want to optionally use the Wineskin client, you have to manually name it CoH.app and drop it into /Applications.  The Cider client isn't really supported, but it can be named City of Heroes.app and dropped into /Applications.  Neither one of those clients are being updated or maintained anymore.

You must have your Applications folder writeable, so you need to either use an Administrator account, or change the permissions of Applications if you insist on keeping your Mac unusually locked down.

15 minutes ago, jhuang916 said:

Thanks!  That fixed it!

Question.   Do you happen to know why I can't get sound on my mac?  

There are a whole lot of questions that go with that, like is it ALL sound that's gone or just in the game?  You might have messed up sound settings in the game, or you need to change from Performance to Compatibility sound mode.

1 hour ago, Manga said:

There are a whole lot of questions that go with that, like is it ALL sound that's gone or just in the game?  You might have messed up sound settings in the game, or you need to change from Performance to Compatibility sound mode.

I checked most settings.  Well You're right, that fixed it!  Thanks again!

3 hours ago, Frostbound said:

@Redlynne My husband was having the same problem, we're in different countries and I play on a PC so I'm kind of useless helping with Mac stuff. How do you command Island Rum to do a rescan?

spacer.png

Click on the Palm Tree in the top left.

Click on Re-Scan in the menu that opens.

Let the Re-Scan complete.

Click Play like you would if Island Rum didn't botch on its Update Software skill check.

Side note for @Manga ... it would be really nice if the BEGINNING UPDATE text wasn't bolded so hard as to be pushing it towards illegibility.  For some reason this change happened after the public release of the 64-bit enabled Island Rum app.  It's a nuisance, not a crisis ... but hopefully it's also something that's easy to fix.

IifneyR.gif

Hey guys. Im

basically having trouble just starting the game. I most likely haven’t installed Island Rum correctly on my Mac, it says “Ready To Play”, but when I click the play button nothing happens further than that except it attempting to load the game I’m assuming. Then, nothing...

Can someone help me? I’m not very tech savvy, lol.

Thanks!

Go ahead and clean load your installation.

Rescue any unique files (keybinds, window settings, actual bind files, that sort of thing) to a different folder.

Delete your game client and the Island Rum application entirely.

Download a fresh copy of Island Rum.

Use Island Rum to download a new game client for you.

Put your rescued unique files into the new install's folders (where they belong).

Launch Island Rum.

Play game.

Update any bindloadfile pathing to filenames as needed.

IifneyR.gif

Hey

I’m still so confused.

I tried downloading a new Island Rum file, & it’s literally doing the same thing as before.

im not really familiar with some of the things you talk about. I have to download a new game client?

i also don’t know what bindloadfiles are.

I'm not really an expert when it comes to editing files & things like that. I’m used to just installing the game & it playing.

so, I downloaded a zip file for Island Rum. The Island Rum app went into my applications folder on my Mac. I opened that file, clicked play, nothing happens.

people have said make sure it’s in my Hard drive folder/applications. There is no menu at the side of the window which specifies my hard drive, so I’m assuming all the folders there are part of my hard drive.

I’m so f*cking confused Hahahah.

i just wana play this damn game.

10 hours ago, DavidR said:

Considering CoH isn't working on my Mac, is there a way to download the PC version & open it on my Mac?

Like, if I downloaded some kind of software to override my Mac knowing that its not the correct format?

Some people use a program called Bootcamp that creates a virtual machine on your mac that can run windows. This means you're using a lot of RAM though, because you're effectively running two computer systems at once.

Island Rum trying to run NCLauncher, and giving me an error message saying "The NCLauncher was unable to reach the web address 'launcher.ncsoft.com.' This could cause unexpected issues to occur with NCLauncher. If this problem persists, please contact NCsoft Customer Support for assistance." 

I tried resetting the path, but I don't actually know what the path is supposed to be. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? 

I'm at a loss with this now. 

Recap: Game worked fine prior to Aug23rd update. No issues.

Following the update on Aug23rd i couldn't log in to the game. So i followed instructions on these forums to acquire Homebrew and then instructed Homebrew to install Wine.

After the installation completed i rebooted and everything was fine once more. I ran the game in 64bit mode (whatever that is) and had no issues at all.

About 4 days hence there was another update which then greyed out the 64bit mode. Following this new update, If i select 64 bit and try to launch it doesn't work. However Safe Mode would still allow me to log in and play as normal.

I've continued playing the game in Safe Mode since that point, but as of a week or two ago the game started intermittently crashing when loading in or out of instanced missions. It's become progessively worse since then and is currently unplayable in Safe Mode because of crashing whenever i start a mission.

I've attempted suggested fix's from this page, in the hope i can get the game to launch in 64bit Mode (and return to normal, as it were).

Things i've tried are 're-setting the path' to the correct location using Island Rum (ive found differing instructions on how to do this. So im not 100% sure whether or not i've done it correctly).

Ive tried moving the CoH app (the thing with the statesman icon) in to the coh folder, in applications and running Island Rum- it just redownloads the  entire game and puts the app back in to the previous location and Safe Mode is still my only option.

Today i tried removing everything including deinstalling Wine and went for a fresh re-install, but it's the same as before. Safe Mode only option available and i cannot enter a mission without it crashing.

I've noticed that since the reinstall i no longer have a coh folder in applications. Just the CoH icon with the Statesman thumbnail (i assume that's the app.). Don't know why that is.

So, im running out of ideas to try now.

I did have the game running in 64bit mode for about 4 days between the update on the 23rd and the one that followed just before the end of that month. So something in that last update of August has really ballsed it up for me.

Im running El Capitan on my machine.

What do i guys?

• Like 1