War Mace?

ceto555

War Mace is great and you can pair it with anything, so it just depends on how you like to play.  Some secondaries like Bio are very clicky -- great sets with top-shelf survivability so long as you're clicking the powers that save you.  Others are pretty hands-free, like WP and Invul.  Some have some endurance built in, but that's less of a problem these days with all the uniques/procs that help with end.  Some deal very significant amounts of damage.

So again, it really just boils down to what you like.  

WM hits hard, can be distilled down to a great attack chain with fast-animating, hard-hitting attacks, and has two excellent AoEs -- one a pretty tyipcal PBAoE that you'll enjoy, and another targeted "cone" with a crazy awesome 180-degree arc that you'll adore.  In my opinion, WM and TW are now the strongest-feeling melee sets in the game.  SS is great, but only a couple of its powers really feel super strong.  In WM every attack feels like it hits like a truck, and most do.  Tons of knockup, so it's also one of the better damage mitigating sets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have a WM/WP Brute and it does really well.

One thing to note from the above post is that War Mace has 3 AoE attacks. Whirling Mace and Crowd Control are tagged as being AoE but Shatter is also a Cone but it's a really narrow cone similar to Jacob's Ladder from Electric Melee or Sands of Mu. As long as you line up the mobs properly you can pretty easily hit 3 targets with Shatter.

• Thanks 1

Had a Mace / Elec' tank on live.  It was fantastic.  Some solid single hitters and some very nice AoE hitters which can also serve as crowd control.  Strategic knock effects too.

"n WM every attack feels like it hits like a truck, and most do.  Tons of knockup, so it's also one of the better damage mitigating sets."

Yup.  Hits like a truck.  Every attack has that 'hard hitting' visceral feedback.  Ouch.  OUCH.  Not the face, man...

I can see the appeal of going brute with this.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael
  • Like 2

On 8/22/2019 at 3:09 PM, Jags said:

In my opinion, WM and TW are now the strongest-feeling melee sets in the game.  SS is great, but only a couple of its powers really feel super strong.  In WM every attack feels like it hits like a truck, and most do.  Tons of knockup, so it's also one of the better damage mitigating sets.

Stone Melee would like a word with you.  But yeah, WM has a solid feel to it no doubt.

• Like 1

WM is great.  I have a WM/WP brute in the mid 40s, and it's like shooting fish in a barrel.  I also have a WM/DA scrapper in the mid 40s who takes a little more work since there are some end issues.  And finally I have a SD/WM tank in the mid 20s who will probably be the most ridiculously fun of them all.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

On 8/22/2019 at 2:42 PM, ceto555 said:

Hiya folks,

I'm looking to try out a War Mace brute, how is War Mace nowadays, and what is the best secondary to go with it?

Thanks!

War mace is a great set;  It is a little slower with regard to power recharges and a little heavier on the end usage, but nothing that a little extra recovery and recharge from set bonuses or a secondary like electric armor, can't fix...

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later
  • 2 months later

Okay.

So I've done my best to turn my WM/WP brute into a... well.... brute. And I realize now, as I realized seven years ago, I absolutely suck at building something respectable. I 'manage' with the basic build all the way to 50, but when I start to lay it out in Mids it's really a mess.... both the results and my now fried brain.

How do you guys go about laying things out all nice and proper like from scratch without spending a week upon studying the build? (Besides begging for someone else's, that is).

• 2 weeks later
13 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

All is explained in this old thread:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120906164029/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=124689

And the HC thread about that thread:

OMG. I always thought that thread was some inside joke I never got back in the day. I guess reading isn't my forte'

Ask me about my City Of Heroes patch problem https://levelzeroems.com/search?q=City of Heroes

1 hour ago, DrSmashington said:

Still makes me laugh out loud every time. It's the attention to detail as much as anything - the attempt at drawing the UI elements in is just great.

Also I concur - WM is very strong and EA is very pretty (and also very strong).

Here is a very quick build. No purples but does have ATO/Winter sets.
No Incarnate powers selected  and no Accolades.
Can prob be improved but is a starting point.

Def
S/L 46.8%

Melee 42%

Res
S/L 90%

Health
Regen 653% (w/1 enemy in melee)
MaxHP 2290

Endurance
EndUse: 3.65/s
EndUse: 1.29/s (no Sprint) or 1.49 (w/Sprint)

NOTES: Pyre Master was just used because. Could easily take other Leadership powers or other powers as desired.

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Brute
Primary Power Set: War Mace
Secondary Power Set: Willpower
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Pyre Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Pulverize -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(3), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(5), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 1: High Pain Tolerance -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Heal(23), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(42), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(43), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(43)
Level 2: Jawbreaker -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Mk'Bit-Dam%(5), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(15), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 4: Mind Over Body -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(7), UnbGrd-ResDam(7), UnbGrd-Max HP%(13), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(43)
Level 6: Build Up -- RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(A), RctRtc-ToHit(45)
Level 8: Clobber -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(23), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(36)
Level 10: Indomitable Will -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-ResDam%(39)
Level 12: Fast Healing -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(13), Prv-Heal/Rchg(50), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(50)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A)
Level 16: Rise to the Challenge -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(17), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(39), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(42), NmnCnv-Heal(42)
Level 18: Whirling Mace -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(21), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37)
Level 20: Quick Recovery -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(21)
Level 22: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(25), UnbGrd-ResDam(25), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(29), GldArm-3defTpProc(45)
Level 26: Shatter -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(27), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury(36)
Level 28: Heightened Senses -- LucoftheG-Def(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(39), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(31), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(31), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(37)
Level 32: Crowd Control -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(36)
Level 35: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 38: Taunt -- MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg(A), MckBrt-Taunt/Rng(40), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(40), MckBrt-Taunt(40)
Level 41: Char -- Dvs-Acc/Dmg(A), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), Dvs-Hold%(46)
Level 44: Melt Armor -- AnlWkn-Acc/DefDeb(A), AnlWkn-Acc/Rchg/EndRdx(46), AnlWkn-Acc/Rchg(46)
Level 47: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Resurgence -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Fury 
Level 1: Sprint -- Qck-EndRdx(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(11)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(11)
------------