Question about first two activator powers for Sentinel

Mystoc

• so first attack is offense and second attack is defense opportunity I understand that part,
  • for first two powers the description says they give -20 res in the power descriptions so if i attack with both of them the enemy has -40 res?
  • or is it talking about the inherit power opportunity strikes what is the -20 res part referring to?
  • lastly is taking the two starter powers a must as sentinel?.. I really only want to do the offense version since i have enough defense and healing already

25 minutes ago, Mystoc said:
  • for first two powers the description says they give -20 res in the power descriptions so if i attack with both of them the enemy has -40 res?

Unfortunately, no it doesn't work like that.  The -20 res is only during the Offensive or Defensive Opportunity and it does not stack from the same player.  

• or is it talking about the inherit power opportunity strikes what is the -20 res part referring to?

Correct.  

• lastly is taking the two starter powers a must as sentinel?.. I really only want to do the offense version since i have enough defense and healing already

In a broad general sense?  No.  However, some power sets have a tier 1 that is better than the tier 2 or vice versa.  Some sets get to a point where they completely ignore either of them outside of opportunity.  At that point the deciding factor is more about which version of opportunity meets the player's preference or build focus.  At level 50 the benefits on either are so small that it really doesn't matter that much, but Defensive Opportunity tends to have better utility.  Both modes grant the same -20 res which is ultimately all that matters. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, oldskool said:

Unfortunately, no it doesn't work like that.  The -20 res is only during the Offensive or Defensive Opportunity and it does not stack from the same player.  

Correct.  

In a broad general sense?  No.  However, some power sets have a tier 1 that is better than the tier 2 or vice versa.  Some sets get to a point where they completely ignore either of them outside of opportunity.  At that point the deciding factor is more about which version of opportunity meets the player's preference or build focus.  At level 50 the benefits on either are so small that it really doesn't matter that much, but Defensive Opportunity tends to have better utility.  Both modes grant the same -20 res which is ultimately all that matters. 

thanks for help! good to know