The Beta Account Center is currently under maintenance ×
Razor Cure

Traps tweaks and changes.

I love Traps.

The support set that is, for fenders, corrs, and MMs. It is a cool and different set, but some powers could really use a tweak.

For starters..Acid Mortar. On a corr this is -20% resist, and -26 of a fender. Why? Every other -res buff is -30 (sometimes but not all for fenders). The only different ones are nature (and that is such a quick recharging power anyway). It should be 30 for corrs and MMs, especially considering how less flexible it is than powers like Sleet/Tar. It needs to be placed, requiring you to be very close to a mob, can miss, can be destroyed (though hardly ever happens) and will not reliably debuff an entire mob. On top of that, there is NO red triangle effect, showing a mob IS actauly resist debuffed.

Triage Beacon. The recharge on this, a tier THREE powers, is so long, as too make it basically useless. Combined with it being +regen (way less useful than the Nature patch heal, which is a tier5 power, and has a FOUR second rech)..it just does not help much. Cut the rech, maybe make it a pulse heal/absorb. Even with a +end pulse too, like the nature one.

FFG. A great power. But it is sooooooooooooooo slow. I can outrun it jump with combat jumping and normal movement. ANd the fixed 4 min duration? Traps as a set..EVERY power it has is a click. Every one. I think only TA shares that (and I am not a TA fan either). Of all the traps powers, FFG should be a toggle. Keep it destroyable, to differentiate it from FF and Sonic, and make it MUCH faster to better keep up with you.

Seeker Drones. A..nice..kinda..alpha power. But again, the rech is so long, and the stun is not even a sure thing. Even 'bad' aoe stuns like Thunder Clap are at least a guaranteed mag 2! This is another power that could be a toggle too..like orbiting drones that debuff acc and perception, which would also fit a trapper theme.

Trip Mine and Time Bomb. They both suit the set, but are so similar as too be pointless. Either one should go, combining the two and making the animation NON interruptible (traps has way too many 'placing' powers as it is.

Give the set a Gun Drone. It makes total sense for the set.

• Like 2

The fear instilled by Acid Mortar was the primary thing that killed the set for me and caused me to give up on it.  Web Grenade is single-target, and Caltrops cover too small an area and do too little slow to keep enemies from taking off to the far corner of the map in terror.  I was spending too much of my time just trying to keep mobs from running to the point that I'd lose target on them.  Unless the set gets some way of dealing with that, or the fear gets removed or reduced, I don't expect to ever play it again.

The FFG was probably the second most bothersome thing.  I don't have a good internal clock for 4 minutes, especially during busy combat situations.  So I never knew when it might self-destruct in the middle of combat when I really needed it.  So I ended up resummoning it a lot.  It got tedious.  On top of that it did a poor job following me.  It would get hung up on geometry or sometimes seemed to just sit around pondering if it really wanted to be near me.  All of that is if it didn't just get destroyed by AoEs or targeted by mobs.

It's a set I really wanted to love.  It's so different from all others and seems so full of potential.  If it ever gets reworked I'll look on with interest but I doubt I'll roll another trapper.

Edited by carroto
grammer

Web Grenade - Now officially worse than the Devices version (along with trip mine and time bomb). I think an AE slow around the target would be good. Up the recharge to compensate if need be.

Triage Beacon - make it mobile and add + recovery. Stationary effects have low value on good teams, and this power heals a pitiful amount as is. 

FFG - agreed that it needs a boost to its speed. Otherwise it's an amazing power and IMO the main reason to take the set.

Trip Mine and Time Bomb/Detonator need a complete overhaul. They only deal damage, which is kind of lame from a support set. They are slow animating and interruptable, making them ill-suited for the fast paced reality that COH teaming is. At minimum, they need the animation changes that Devices got.

Trip Mine should become "Tactical Mines" or something. A 3-in-1 power similar to Swap Ammo. Leave Trip MIne itself as the incendiary damage option. Add in a Cryo Mine to deal ice damage and apply a recharge/run speed slow, and a Flash Mine or something that deals energy damage and lowers to-hit by 20%.

Time Bomb/Detonator should become Doomsday Device, a variant of Omega Maneuver, that summons a taunting bomb that briefly confuses nearby enemies and blows up. Also lower the recharge of the MM version. 10 minutes is insane for what this does.

• Like 1

Wow I totally forgot Caltrops. SHows how much I care for the power!

Ooh I like the Doomsday device idea! And the Swapping version of mines.

The weak points of the set are definitely Trip Mine and Time Bomb. Their activation time and that they can be interrupted makes them near useless, especially as they are point blank powers that require melee engagement.

I feel like Trip Mines should be "throwable" like caltrops, they could still have a "set up" time, and Time Bomb should absolutely just be made similar to the Crab Omega Bomb.

• Like 2

I have not many issues with Traps. It pretty much is my go to set for quick and easy defense cap. 

Porting over some of the changes from Device would be nice.. EG Not being interrupted placing Trip Mine. 

Time Bomb/Detonator for Masterminds - I don't care what they do with it because anything would be better then current. It is just not usable.  I tried to use it on my Mastermind for Thematic reasons and it just sucked.. Period.. With the recharge I got it down to 5 minutes and still was useless.  I tested it out solo and you would think it would kill a bunch of mobs. I expected just the bosses to be alive barely and it missed on minions.  For a 5 minute timer it better wipe out a whole room. 

But as mentioned and being repeated move the changes over from Devices to Traps at least.. That is a good start.

Maybe make Time Bomb as was also mentioned above into a 3 type of bomb set. Cryo, Fire, Acid, Negative.

One thing I never seen in this game is a power to pull mobs in..  

Maybe a bomb that sucks mobs into it before blowing up. EG reverse repel.

MM:

Triage Beacon is skippable, but I respec into it at 50 for 0x8 content. It is for the pets, not for players.

I get a lot of mileage out of Caltrops and Acid Mortar. The Mortar (and FFG) grabs aggro. Caltrops keeps MOB in the area I want.

The power I hate is Web Grenade. It isn't worth slotting. I hate having to take it at lvl 1. It doesn't stick the 'crazy runners'.

I like Seeker Drones, but it is hard to see what they do. I always skip the Trip Mine.

The main issue with traps is that the game is way too mobile for the powers in it. They rely on setting up a fort and having enemies constantly around you, but we go from mob to mob they dont keep coming to us.

Adding more mobility to stuff like the triage beacon or throwing the bombs would be great.

I'm a Traps fan and don't share many of the complaints expressed here except for 1 - FFG mobility.  Speed is a part of the problem but just as much is ability to move around caves (for example).  Sometimes I end up just re summoning rather than going backward to help with its pathing.  

Actually I do  have another complaint.  I like Web Grenade but the end cost seems high.  I'm not going to go through all ST immobs, but my /Atomic blaster's ST immob has a base recharge of 4 seconds and 17.8 second duration and has a base cost of 5.2 end.  WG in contrast has the same base recharge and duration but almost twice the endurance (9.75).  Controllers (the ones I checked at least) recharge in 4 seconds, cost 7.8 end but have a base duration of ~28 secs.  Bottom line, on a /Traps MM my end bar goes down real quick like when I go into spam WG mode against an AV/GM.

9 hours ago, Hedgefund said:

Actually I do  have another complaint.  I like Web Grenade but the end cost seems high.  I'm not going to go through all ST immobs, but my /Atomic blaster's ST immob has a base recharge of 4 seconds and 17.8 second duration and has a base cost of 5.2 end.  WG in contrast has the same base recharge and duration but almost twice the endurance (9.75).  Controllers (the ones I checked at least) recharge in 4 seconds, cost 7.8 end but have a base duration of ~28 secs.  Bottom line, on a /Traps MM my end bar goes down real quick like when I go into spam WG mode against an AV/GM.

I'm fairly certain that's just a MM issue, not a web grenade issue. For some reason, MM end costs are drastically inflated compared to other classes for powers they share, and the attacks they don't share seem to have high end costs as well.

My traps MM is fairly happy, but I agree detonate/time bomb need drastic reworking, and wouldn't oppose something being done with FFG to improve it's ability to keep up and triage beacon to either make it more mobile (either let it follow you, or give shorter recharge) or to make it more worth pulling to the beacon instead of charging ahead.