What's your favorite Defender?

xR_Squaredx

I've started a kinetics/sonic defender and I have to say I'm enjoying having the healing and the damage output. 20% -res on all my attacks (which stacks!) and +25% damage on myself (which stacks!) mean that I can hold my own much, much better than previous attempts at defenders.

I had a kin/psi defender back on Live as my first main and got it to 50 and it always felt a bit anaemic. I can't say I'll ever love kinetics, but sonic is making me change my mind a bit as I generate between 41% and 71 % damage boosts on myself and then 20-40% res debuff on my enemies. That's really quite remarkable at level 14 - it feels a bit more like a blaster with sustain that I'm used to on a defender.

Kinetics also has a number of one-slot wonders making it actually pretty easy to work with levelling. Not sure how an IO-centric build will look

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

2 hours ago, Gulbasaur said:

I've started a kinetics/sonic defender and I have to say I'm enjoying having the healing and the damage output. 20% -res on all my attacks (which stacks!) and +25% damage on myself (which stacks!) mean that I can hold my own much, much better than previous attempts at defenders.

I had a kin/psi defender back on Live as my first main and got it to 50 and it always felt a bit anaemic. I can't say I'll ever love kinetics, but sonic is making me change my mind a bit as I generate between 41% and 71 % damage boosts on myself and then 20-40% res debuff on my enemies. That's really quite remarkable at level 14 - it feels a bit more like a blaster with sustain that I'm used to on a defender.

Kinetics also has a number of one-slot wonders making it actually pretty easy to work with levelling. Not sure how an IO-centric build will look

Here is a thread with two IO builds I made for Kinetics/Sonic. You can tank very well with capped def and res.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later

Storm Summoning and Fire.  Can't remember the names of the power sets here!?

I enjoy Storm Summoning and have even lately discovered the "secret" powers of O2 Boost: removing mez and having range (rather than PBAoE.)  It compliments a healer perfectly!

Fire is fun 'cuz it means the enemies get a rude surprise when they say "Let's attack the Defender! They're easier!"  Plus, taking all of Storm Summoning and Fire gives me TWO attack chains!?  The normal single-target/cones chain and a weather-nuke AoE chain (including Rain of Fire!?)

Edit: I created a Storm Summoning/Electric when I first started playing and that's where i learned to like SS.  But electric was "meh" to me.  In this case, thematic had to take a back-seat!

Edited by Display Name

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

Time/*   ... Tank, Scrapper, Blaster, Support, ... so many different ways you can build them.

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

Hmm, favorite Defender.  That's a tough question as I've played 4 of them to 50 on Live and enjoyed most of them so it would probably come down to how I felt on a given day and what else the team had already.

The 50's:

Rad/Rad - Lots of fun and quite effective for -def debuffing on top of all the other Rad/ goodies.  Still, possibly a notch down

Rad/Sonic - Good solo, great damage multiplier on teams.  One of the best.

Dark/Dark - Can you say "to hit floor"?  Capable of dropping an entire spawn's to hit drastically or taking a single mob to the floor effectively turning the entire team into SR scrappers.

Kin/Sonic - Similar notes apply as to Rad/Sonic.

I had probably another half dozen on Live varying in level from the 20's to the 40's but they don't really come to mind.  I know I had a FF/something in the 20's and a TA/A that died in the teens... that combo really took forever to accomplish anything; by the time the TA arrows were out the spawn was dead.

• Like 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler