Patch Notes for August 27th, 2019

Leandro

Not happy about the changes to PB's sound effects one single bit. That was always iconic. This is the type of thing that caused me to walk away from MMO's years ago....changes like this. Not digging this change at all, Devs, The complaints of the few, affect the many.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Not happy about the changes to PB's sound effects one single bit. That was always iconic. This is the type of thing that caused me to walk away from MMO's years ago....changes like this. Not digging this change at all, Devs, The complaints of the few, affect the many.

You left a game because of a sound change?

I mean, to each their own, but....wow.

Unless the sound was a live-stream of someone torturing my loved ones, in which case, sure I'm on board with not being down with that kind of sound change.

3 minutes ago, Budo said:

Unless the sound was a live-stream of someone torturing my loved ones, in which case, sure I'm on board with not being down with that kind of sound change.

Especially since...

But seriously...welcome back to the forums @Solarverse

• Thanks 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

4 hours ago, Budo said:

Yes, especially when those changes were unnecessary and done because of a select few people taking issue with something that has been in game since the creation of Khelds. These were iconic sound effects that were tied in to the Khelds powers...now, they are gone.

Sorry that you question my thinking here, but I am of the mindset that the world does not revolve around the needs of the few....that is completely illogical. Countless times have Developers of MMO's caved to the complaints of a few forum posters. Most players do NOT post forums, forum posters are the minority of gamers...and usually the most vocal about their opinions while simultaneously disregarding everyone else. Many changes were made to this game already due to people who had taken issues with it, which takes away from the game experience for everyone else.

This game has a dark history of losing much of its eye candy and sound effects, and now it has just lost another. I have watched animations, sound effects and graphics dwindle away since this game's launch, and now there is another to add to the list. Some of us players just would like to know...where does it end? How much more sacrifice to sound, graphics and animation do we lose before it's finally enough? I watched this game change from it's infancy and much has been lost.

So yes, I have left games for things similar to this change. There comes a point when a game is changed so much by the removal of what once was, it stops being the same game you once loved and cherished and tried to grow with. Taking things away does not constitute as growing. I guess some of us are more tolerant of losing things they appreciate than others.

I am not saying I am leaving the game over it, however, what I am saying, is that changes like this pushes buttons for a LOT of people. I'm not alone in feeling this way. With other servers out there, it wouldn't take much to push players away and off to other servers. I do not want to be one of them...I have my roots and my friends here. However, I will if these types of changes are going to be the norm for this server.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, justicebeliever said:

Especially since...

Thank you....that change brought me back. I had zero idea this change was in the pipeline for a future update.

43 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

Now all I can think about is making a clone of The Tick and using sound bites from the cartoon whenever I activate a power.

SPOOOOON!

• Like 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

On 9/4/2019 at 2:43 PM, Solarverse said:

I am not saying I am leaving the game over it, however, what I am saying, is that changes like this pushes buttons for a LOT of people. I'm not alone in feeling this way. With other servers out there, it wouldn't take much to push players away and off to other servers. I do not want to be one of them...I have my roots and my friends here. However, I will if these types of changes are going to be the norm for this server.

So, how do we know if these changes increse or decrease population?

Tha is the kicker, IME.

The number that hate it and leave could be much smaller than the number that is serves and retains - no one knows.

MMOs always change, it is the nature of the beast, as you have point out, so this will never end and no MMO company can please all of the people all of the time.

One person's reason is another person's pet peeve.

In this case, the changes will just continue to roll ahead, just look at some of the other rogue instances!

Since we all the ability to literally change anything locally, I see things like this as a complete non-issue, simply because the client can be so customized.

The changes to such low stealth costs and no speed reduciton make stealth OP, IMO, for example, and we cannot change those, but whatever, we all get the same advantage from it...

Your main argument seems to be around a 'few people' changing things 'for everyone' - but that is the way the world works...

I feel your pain, because IMO, the most humans that control the levers of power are, in fact, insane as the believe in things that are not real and make decsions for the general populus based off of those superstitions...the needs of the few in power always override the needs of the many.

9 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

So, how do we know if these changes increse or decrease population?

Tha is the kicker, IME.

The number that hate it and leave could be much smaller than the number that is serves and retains - no one knows.

MMOs always change, it is the nature of the beast, as you have point out, so this will never end and no MMO company can please all of the people all of the time.

One person's reason is another person's pet peeve.

In this case, the changes will just continue to roll ahead, just look at some of the other rogue instances!

Since we all the ability to literally change anything locally, I see things like this as a complete non-issue, simply because the client can be so customized.

The changes to such low stealth costs and no speed reduciton make stealth OP, IMO, for example, and we cannot change those, but whatever, we all get the same advantage from it...

Your main argument seems to be around a 'few people' changing things 'for everyone' - but that is the way the world works...

I feel your pain, because IMO, the most humans that control the levers of power are, in fact, insane as the believe in things that are not real and make decsions for the general populus based off of those superstitions...the needs of the few in power always override the needs of the many.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Changes for the most part are fine with me as long as everyone benefits. Sadly though, taking away sound effects and graphics do not count as beneficial when only a few are the benefactors. Otherwise I would take no issues with the change. However, I do agree with pretty much everything you said. Good response post.

On 9/4/2019 at 1:16 PM, justicebeliever said:

Especially since...

Has anyone tried combining multiple sound effects to one power? If that can be done, then I can undo this change on my own by simply adding the Kheld Howl soundbite to the existing sound bite. It would be a lot of work, but if it can be done, I would sure like to know about it.

1 minute ago, Solarverse said:

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Changes for the most part are fine with me as long as everyone benefits. Sadly though, taking away sound effects and graphics do not count as beneficial when only a few are the benefactors. Otherwise I would take no issues with the change. However, I do agree with pretty much everything you said. Good response post.

My real hope is that someone with more time than I have will create a CoH Customizer and make changing the sound effects, animations, icons, etc. all 'easily' configurable.

This would in turn mean the 'back end' game developers to just focus on the server side, allowing the clients to change w/o having to 'force' cosmetic changes to everyone.

A man can dream.

We need to move away from the idea the server-runners control everything, IMO.

5 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Has anyone tried combining multiple sound effects to one power? If that can be done, then I can undo this change on my own by simply adding the Kheld Howl soundbite to the existing sound bite. It would be a lot of work, but if it can be done, I would sure like to know about it.

Some powers use multiple sounds as it is. Not sure about any of the Squid's attacks. Some have Activation, Attack, Hit, and/or loops.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 9/4/2019 at 2:43 PM, Solarverse said:

Sorry that you question my thinking here, but I am of the mindset that the world does not revolve around the needs of the few....that is completely illogical.

This, followed by multiple paragraphs of complaining out how the sound must remain how you want it, or everything is RUINED FOREVER.

The irony, she is palpable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kenlon said:

This, followed by multiple paragraphs of complaining out how the sound must remain how you want it, or everything is RUINED FOREVER.

The irony, she is palpable.

The fact you even had to respond in the snooty, pompous way that you did to a civil discussion is not palpable. It shows bad character.

Was Mace Snipe for Scrapper intended to not get some of the sexy snipe changes? It's incredibly slow to come out, and ... has some weird, funky animation shennanigans going on, where the blast comes out significantly after the mace 'jumps' from firing.

eDIT: The power gets the fast snipe in combat (well, as fast it can be with the draw animation...), but the out of combat snipe takes, like, over 6 seconds to fire, and several more for the damage to actually occur due to a lag between firing and the blast coming out, then a delay between the blast hitting and damage showing up.

Edited by ShogunGunshow

On 8/27/2019 at 10:45 AM, Ukase said:

With regards to the new PvP sniper set - it's my fault for not getting to test server, but given that the enhancement in the AH is purple, the recipe in the merit vendor is purple, but the recipe in the ah is orange..I'm a bit confused as to whether or not a pvp io, say a panacea would convert into one of the new sniper enhancements. 

It’s a pvp all right.  You can absolutely get one from a panacea. 

Who run Bartertown?

On 8/27/2019 at 9:48 AM, Leandro said:

Pools > Concealment > Invisibility:  Endurance cost lowered from 0.65 to 0.2275. You are now be able to attack while this power is active, but should you attack, all it's defense will suppress.

I'm curious what this means for the differentiation between Stealth and Invisibility.  It seems Invis was brought to a cost on-par with Stealth, with greater stealth values, and yet it's usable in combat.  Do the two powers stack now, or is one just inherently better than the other?  It sounds like both are meant for use during the same kinds of situations, but Invisibility just sounds like the stronger version.

On 8/29/2019 at 3:20 PM, Rock Em said:

And I liked being the only build enjoying it.

That's... selfish, honestly.  I get that you put a lot of work into getting the stats you needed for the previous implementation of instasnipe.  However, that investment still paid off, because you are still way better than everyone else who didn't.  Your opening snipe may be slower, but it's way stronger.  Your in-combat fast snipe is now way better than everyone else's.  You are still a god among insects.  But now people who are leveling up don't have to feel useless until post-50.  That's not exactly fun, and is not a good way to draw new players to the server.  I've played it with the old mechanic requiring a ToHit check for quick snipe, and I've played on the beta server to try the new version, and the new version not only feels better and more fun, but I was genuinely stronger.  This was a buff.

Wanting other people to suffer just because you had to suffer is selfish and short-sighted.  Any developer's goal should be to remove as much suffering from the game as possible.  They obviously wanted to make sure the people who used the old build still get to be the best snipers in the game, but they wanted other builds to be possible and enjoyable.  Any player should want more players to join and stick with the game, and if the mechanics are so sluggish and awkwardly implemented that only someone who spends a week of end-game grinding gets to enjoy them, then we won't have very good player gain and retention.  Builds will all be standardized and boring instead of diverse.  This is ultimately a good change.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 8:54 AM, Solarverse said:

the PB sfx have been giving me and hundreds of other players migraines since day 1. There was a 16 page forum post about how terrible they were back on live. this sort of change is exactly why we appreciate the HC devs, they have 'fixed' more game problems in the last two months than the live devs did in 5 years.

Over half the player base despises the PB sound effects. If you want to leave a free-to-play MMO because of it, don't let the door hit you.