Official 'enterbasefrompasscode' Resolution thread

49 minutes ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Here is something to consider, dev is short for developer, the main people wanting to preserve this are part of the expanded city movement using the new outdoor base trick the HC devs have given us that was never meant to be in the game either. Basically all of us because of the bases are actively contributing to development of an expanded game world for everyone to enjoy. We are basically now all devs if we choose to be by participating in that.

So since we all actually are able to assist even in a small way with developing our game world Id argue its appropriate we have access to a single dev command that is essential for assisting us in that goal.

Here is what I suggest a poll askign how many base builders value this, and how many players actively participate in pvp, and link that poll to a window upon logging into the game so everyone playing is aware of this debate. If there are more builders wanting it then people playing actively in pvp on a daily basis then maybe just maybe the HC team needs to reflect on which faction matters more.

And taht is my argument, how many pvpers spend as many hours a day playing pvp as we who RP and base build? I mean I can spend all day RPing in this game. How many spend hours actively engaged in pvp because I am very doubtful there are any.

Stop trying to create a situation where you think you are justified in using a developer power. You are not a developer no matter how much you tink you are...plain and simple. FYI calling people out for not spending as much time as you RPing or base building...as if those activities make you a more valuable player? Seriously... just stop. It has already been decided that it will remain a REAL dev power only as it was never intended for players. 

Nevermind... I am just going to ignore you because frankly your lack of reality and your extreme entitlement issues are just too much to stomach. 

I wrote two AE arcs back in the day, that makes me a developer!

Wait, no, it doesn't.

You're not a dev. You're a player, who enjoys RP (as I do) and base building. That doesn't mean you or I or anyone hanging out in the D (both the RPers and the AE farmers) are entitled to any sort of special treatment.  We are but a few out of thousands, tens of thousands.

3 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

But ofcourse because I was one to four I couldnt actually finish any off because like I said 1 to 4 and couldnt risk giving any single one enough attention to overwhelm them so eventually I just popped a phase shift, hit my jump pack, and left them behind after hitting each with air superiority. Neither side felt satisfied by that. they all were mad because one OP brute couldnt be killed, and I was disgusted by so called heroes playing more like a group of gang rapists. In a game based around comic books, it actually should penalize the blue siders for behaving like that.

I know this is off topic, but good gods... a team of heroes working together to take down a single dangerous villain... I'm not even sure you can call that a trope or a cliche, that's pretty much the core of the genre right there. From a pvp gameplay perspective yes, it it sucks but trying to justify it because this is "a game based around comic books" pretty much just completely invalidates everything else you've said.

CoH pvp is a bad joke. I love PvP but I won't touch this hot mess.

Just a little tip, if you want fair play, you want a formal arena style fight with equal numbers not zone pvp. Zone pvp in every game is a mess of ganking, camping and zerging. Considering your emotional investment level in pvp, I would recommend you avoid it in all games.

Numpad binds for Masterminds - A collection of Farming focused builds - MM /Time guide for all primaries

@Zen Warlawk on Indomitable, @Warlawk#1697 in discord.

Currently struggling with mostly recovered from health problems. Gaming time nonexistent inconsistent.

16 hours ago, Indystruck said:

Bases are actually the easiest way to get the Ouroboros portal, explicitly because you can access Ouroboros from there at level one. While it's more circuitous than just using the portal, it absolutely can take you to Ouroboros, and the base itself does have Pillar of Ice and Flame functionality anyway.

There is no teleport beacon for bases to the Oro zone map. 

1 hour ago, ShardWarrior said:

But there is echo: Galaxy. Which can take you to Ouroboros.

• Thanks 1

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

1 minute ago, Zolgar said:

But there is echo: Galaxy. Which can take you to Ouroboros.

Which is an extra loading screen vs using the Oro portal.  Which this does remind me - was there ever a (non-story) reason given for not having a base TP beacon to Cimerora?  Or was this something that just never got around to?

Edited by ShardWarrior

@Bentley Berkeley 

You do realize though, that they're not talking about taking away the ability to use passcodes to enter bases from a base portal, right?

They're only talking about deactivating the /enterbasefrompasscode command for player use, because it was never intended for player use.

You and all the other base builders who have been building super cool RP bases to make public? Your work is still valid, anyone who knows the passcode to your base can still get to it, just from a base portal or the base transporter power instead of typing in a slash command.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Part of the concern, I believe, is that there's currently no convenient way to put the entry of the passcode into a macro, or to save multiple macros as "bookmarks". Also, it introduces more loading screens, which people dislike and/or try to avoid.

I might be wrong, however I believe @Bentley Berkeley is talking about losing the capability of saving these as macro buttons.  No need to keep a list of passcodes handy somewhere to copy/paste at the portal entrance.  It's a very nice QoL feature to do that and I would hope we will be able to retain that capability with whatever replaces it, although I seriously doubt it. 

2 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

This isn't relevant to what I was saying, though. The point being that if you want to get to Ouros from bases, you can, albeit it is admittedly more roundabout, unless you feel like getting the portal at level one, and regardless, the Pillar of Ice and Flame functionality is still present in the base editor. The fact that Ouros can take you to... Ouros, is not really a revelation, nor applicable to most content, except, obviously, for the handful of Ouros arcs like Alpha unlocking or Mender Tesseract/Twilight's Son/Mender Silos/etc. 

@Twi - Phobia on Everlasting

6 minutes ago, Megajoule said:

It will be removed. They have already decided and said so. All that is uncertain is what will replace it.

Don't think anything will replace it, since it was never supposed to exist in the first place. The only question is if teleporter powers might get some reduction in recharge to help compensate, I'd imagine. This is really no different than those getting bent out of shape because "the snipe changes" were live when Homecoming came up (back in April). They were never in the "live" game, only beta, yet people mis-remembered them existing when the game was up. This command too has only been present since Homecoming came up, at least for us.

2 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Not really interested in going tit for tat with you on this - it is simply less loading screens to go to the Oroborous zone via Oro portal than it is to use the beacons in the base.

Yeah, which isn't really an advantage for 99.9999% of content, nor is it a particularly special or noteworthy revelation. It's like saying that the Pocket D pass will take you to Pocket D. Yes, that's true.

Just now, ShardWarrior said:

No question is it being exploited in PvP and on Master of TF runs, so it does need to be removed.  We can only hope that it will get replaced by something similar, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Just curious..how does it get exploited on MO runs? All it does is let you finish a tf faster. I mean, if that is an issue, disable travels/Ios on MO runs. Or do you mean able to zap to base instant if you are in danger of dying?

Just now, Razor Cure said:

Just curious..how does it get exploited on MO runs? All it does is let you finish a tf faster. I mean, if that is an issue, disable travels/Ios on MO runs. Or do you mean able to zap to base instant if you are in danger of dying?

Yes, people were using it as an instant escape from death in Master of TF runs.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

Does anyone know the cooldown on Self Destruction? Cause that power is cheaaap. And Using it in mission, rez in base and then tping around is almost the same. Well kinda. Although I do recall it have a longish animation.

If you're strong enough to get wailed on for the 10s countdown before Self Destruct activates, you're strong enough to take out the mob without using Self Destruct.

4 minutes ago, Indystruck said:

Yeah, which isn't really an advantage for 99.9999% of content, nor is it a particularly special or noteworthy revelation. It's like saying that the Pocket D pass will take you to Pocket D. Yes, that's true.

You keep arguing that somehow the slash command is vastly superior for travel to what already exists and I tried explaining that it is not in every given situation.  It all depends where you are and where you need to go.  Sometimes it is the best choice, some times its not.  Sometimes Oro portal or the train are better options simply because of where you will exit.  This isn't rocket science.  Using it just for quick travel is a convenience that's no different than the Oro portal or P2W powers. 

You brought up using it on speed runs.  I see this just about every day.  People who are farming merits by running speed TFs have travel time down to a science and I can guarantee you not everyone is using the slash command for quick travel.  In my experience it isn't even used half the time.  Again, depends on where you are and where you need to go.  The slash command to the base is not always the fastest choice as you asserted. 

Using one of your examples - hazard zones - say I'm deep within Boomtown and need to go to PI or Talos Island next.  The Oro Portal or the Base Porter will get me where I need to go.  What difference does it make which one I use since they both arrive at the same place in the same amount of steps?