Official 'enterbasefrompasscode' Resolution thread

17 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

I think it's really sad how much the core game gets nerfed and squashed for the sake of PvP.

How about making PvP zones:

• no travel powers
  • no slash commands
  • no vet/P2W/temp powers
  • no enhancements
  • no inspirations
  • just Sprint, Brawl, and your Inherent origin power

And then in PvE allow universal base transporting, travel powers without suppression, energy melee that works, and so on.

Can I get a list of all these nerfs due to PvP?

• Like 3

I kind of like the idea of making the Pocket D and Base teleporter opening a portal that everyone around can use.  I don't think a 5 minute recharge is needed.  It's too long IMO.  In my experience, most teams running TFs are tag-teaming use of the team teleporter and just porting directly to the mission door.  Travel as a means to slow progression is a relic.  Either bases are meant to provide some utility/QoL improvements or not.

Edited by ShardWarrior

49 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

I kind of like the idea of making the Pocket D and Base teleporter opening a portal that everyone around can use.  I don't think a 5 minute recharge is needed.  It's too long IMO.  In my experience, most teams running TFs are tag-teaming use of the team teleporter and just porting directly to the mission door.  Travel as a means to slow progression is a relic.  Either bases are meant to provide some utility/QoL improvements or not.

Indeed. infact games that still refuse to find ways to allow groups to rapidly meet up at the given bit of content they wish to actually spend their time playing are constantly shedding players in large part because of this. Travel around the city should be as optional as RPing, using IOs over SOs, or PvP.

The idea it may save 5 or 10 min overall on the longer multi zone spanning TFs is some huge issue is silly, Just look at the later content like pen yin and the signature story arcs. Its clear the paragon devs saw that the old system was archaic and asked too much time investment in single play sessions for a great many players. Even now many I meet in game are shy and dont really want to try TFs because of bad memories from an old posi.syn, or sister psyche that ran into the many hours range and ended in failure and a waste of time to those who look at less then the big reward as a waste of time even when there is xp and drops still.

I just feel that taking this command away without a really viable alternative added will only push some of us to play solo on a private server. I understand many who played both this and champions are choosing that route as playing coh solo on a private server allows them to basically make free form characters

1 hour ago, ShardWarrior said:

Providing easy storage access and TPs to every zone in one area isn't utility nor a QoL improvement?

1 minute ago, Apparition said:

Providing easy storage access and TPs to every zone in one area isn't utility nor a QoL improvement?

Yes, they are.  I was talking more about the old argument of "shorter travel time is unbalanced".  Some people here have suggested that these kinds of quick teleports shouldn't be allowed because they "break the game".

1 hour ago, Megajoule said:

Only in the sense that 00s MMO design was to use travel time to pad out extend leveling/playing (and thus "paying subscription") time, in place of actual content.

Right? With the absence of a sub, and a need to keep people paying to play..who cares? Oh, besides the people crying the game is broken. Although..considering how long the base tp macro has been going for...yet to see the game break.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Megajoule said:

Only in the sense that 00s MMO design was to use travel time to pad out extend leveling/playing (and thus "paying subscription") time, in place of actual content.

Anyone remember how hard it was to get anywhere in Everquest? (Taking a ship .....   .....   ..... )

You all realize there is a legit power in the game called "Long Range Teleport" that let's you travel directly to other zones. I feel like it's even better than using bases because you're skipping out the time it takes to go to your base and find the right teleporter. If anything, just add more destinations to the "Long Range Teleport" Pool power. Problem solved.

On 9/15/2019 at 4:23 PM, ninja surprise said:

I think it's really sad how much the core game gets nerfed and squashed for the sake of PvP.

How about making PvP zones:

• no travel powers
  • no slash commands
  • no vet/P2W/temp powers
  • no enhancements
  • no inspirations
  • just Sprint, Brawl, and your Inherent origin power

And then in PvE allow universal base transporting, travel powers without suppression, energy melee that works, and so on.

lol is this guy serious?

10 hours ago, Starforge said:

Can I get a list of all these nerfs due to PvP?

Since I really doubt he's going to reply (because he'd be looking for a nonexistent list) I'll answer for him - in the entire history of this game only one power or mechanic has ever been nerfed solely for PvP reasons and it's probably a pretty obscure nerf that most people don't know about.

1 hour ago, Cooltastic said:

You all realize there is a legit power in the game called "Long Range Teleport" that let's you travel directly to other zones. I feel like it's even better than using bases because you're skipping out the time it takes to go to your base and find the right teleporter. If anything, just add more destinations to the "Long Range Teleport" Pool power. Problem solved.

The problem with Long Range Teleport is its animation time and interrupt time, the limited zones available to teleport to, and the fact that you have to take two useless powers to get it.

• Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

The main things I would like to see for this command are to retain the convenience as far as selecting bases goes.  There's currently no other way to make a macro that will take you to a base, even if you're at a base portal.  So what I would strongly favor seeing to replace this is:

Base teleporter power becomes similar to the Ouroboros portal.  Keep in mind that the O-Portal is already effectively a 'delayed base teleporter' itself, since you can jump to a zone where you can very quickly access the base portal, it just requires two extra zone transitions to do so.  So I'd copy the Ouroboros portal, MAYBE slap one more minute of recharge on it over what the current portal has, and call it a day.

/enterbasefrompasscode command continues to work, but only if you're within range of a base portal.  The same range that the game already calculates to determine if you're getting Monitor day job progress can be used for this.  This is because it will continue to allow us to make macros and keybinds to take us to particular bases; without it, we always have to open up the text entry box and either manually type or tab out to a document saving base codes, copy-paste one in, and click to enter.

And finally, that the command continues to work from inside a base, so we can transition directly from one base to another instead of having to hop out and back in.  There's really no reason not to allow this that I can possibly imagine.

Really, I could live with just the command continuing to work when within range of a portal and inside a base, the O-Portal-like base teleporter power is nice but not a necessity.  But being able to continue using keybinds and macros to enter bases/jump from one to another without constantly having to exit and re-enter, that stuff is really important to me.

Some of this has probably already been said, and I didn't read the full 8 pages, but assuming it has, consider me another voice giving this opinion.

• Like 1

• Retired Game Master
7 hours ago, Mnemnosyne said:

/enterbasefrompasscode command continues to work, but only if you're within range of a base portal.  The same range that the game already calculates to determine if you're getting Monitor day job progress can be used for this.  This is because it will continue to allow us to make macros and keybinds to take us to particular bases; without it, we always have to open up the text entry box and either manually type or tab out to a document saving base codes, copy-paste one in, and click to enter.

And finally, that the command continues to work from inside a base, so we can transition directly from one base to another instead of having to hop out and back in.  There's really no reason not to allow this that I can possibly imagine.

Good news! These are two things the devs have said they'd like to keep if at all possible (or something reasonably resembling them), which is part of why the command hasn't already been disabled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The chief uses I make of the power are to move to base from zones that lack a portal (spend a lot of time in Cimerora) or where the portal isn't all that convenient (Kings Row, Skyway). 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

5 hours ago, Heraclea said:

The chief uses I make of the power are to move to base from zones that lack a portal (spend a lot of time in Cimerora) or where the portal isn't all that convenient (Kings Row, Skyway). 

In cases like that you could always LFG to Citadel since he's right by the base portal in Talos. A few more clicks and another loading screen, sure, but I'd expect that to still be significantly faster than having to exit a zone or navigate to a base portal.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

That, and I still am getting random zoning crashes.   Adding a base portal to Ouroboros is the obvious fix, but even that requires one more rezoning and one more opportunity for the bug to strike. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

The most desirable feature of the current "enterbasefrompasscode" to my mind is the capability to return to the exact spot you teleported away from. I am unaware of any other generally available teleport which allows you to "mark" a spot and return to it later. I understand the developer's objection to the uninterruptible instant effect the slash command allows, but I *do* hope they see why people like it so much.  As others have noted, it allows you to build "custom" teleports to go to multiple different specific bases. Hopefully whatever you come up with eventually will offer similar functionality in a fashion which you see as maintaining the ever elusive and usually illusionary notion of "balance". (shrug)

Limiting my already guarded posting both here & discord. Just too toxic for my tastes, & the mods do not seem to care.

https://cit.cohtitan.com/profile/3066

• Retired Game Master
29 minutes ago, TheHunterJLJ said:

The most desirable feature of the current "enterbasefrompasscode" to my mind is the capability to return to the exact spot you teleported away from. I am unaware of any other generally available teleport which allows you to "mark" a spot and return to it later.

This is exactly how the base teleporter power works, actually. Though maybe you were disqualifying it based on its activation time, recharge and/or cost.

Something I wanted to share here as it is in line with the discussion in this thread.  Some have suggested that being able to quickly port to the base is "breaking the game" and "unbalanced" because travel is supposed to be part of the experience.  I mentioned that using travel as a means to impede progression is a relic design.  Here is another example of how modern games are getting rid of needing to spend time to travel to a destination to play the content.

No need to fly around sector space hunting for the right place—the new interface will take you there immediately. You can launch into a patrol by yourself with no delay, or team up with friends and go as a group. Once you finish, you’ll return to wherever you left off.

I'm going to disagree with the suggestion that the new command only work if you're within range of a portal.  If we're that close, then may as well use the portal.  That's simply not an improvement or good option in my opinion.  Nor would I increase any recharge time on it.

The HC folk here need to decide on what purpose they want bases to have going forward.  If it isn't easier/better to use the base portals to travel and get where we want to go more efficiently, then there is no reason to have them IMO. 

I'll add to ShardWarrior's sentiment that the use of the base command is not somehow breaking the flow and sense of immersion in this hyper-fantastical setting.  Teleportation is a modern daily convenience for a significant portion of the world's population in this universe.  Being able to blip in and out isn't at all out-of-character.

14 hours ago, GM Sijin said:

This is exactly how the base teleporter power works, actually. Though maybe you were disqualifying it based on its activation time, recharge and/or cost.

The existing base teleporter would be much, much,much better IMO if it didn't have such an obscenely long recharge time and an obscenely long cast time.  I personally have no objection to the inf. cost. 

On 9/16/2019 at 8:07 AM, Burnt Toast said:

The impatience and entitlement are hilarious in this thread....no wonder I make so much on the AH.....

This is nothing unique to CoH and has been around since day 1 of the first MMO.  Why do you think stuff like the old gliders in WoW were made for?  People don't want to waste limited game play time on pointless travel.