Official 'enterbasefrompasscode' Resolution thread

10 minutes ago, Megajoule said:

I agree, to a point; but at the risk of indulging in slippery slope, there must be some middle ground.  Otherwise, we turn this into a lobby game where everyone stands around Atlas 24/7 when not being zapped instantly and directly into a mission or base.

Even with the existing command available now, this isn't happening.  It doesn't negate travel because it doesn't drop you right at the mission door.  You still have to travel to your final destination when you zone in from the base.

I can tell you this is what STO has and in my experience most people are not just standing in one place all the time.  There are various reasons to visit other destinations/locations and you can still take the time to travel to wherever you want to go if you want to.  All this adds is a convenience for those who want it.  Also, most events in game are spread out across the galaxy in various systems, so you still need to travel for those. 

Edited by ShardWarrior

23 hours ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Except LFG-travel doesn't work if you want to stay in your current team.

Sure, but unless you're on a task force it's pretty easy to quit the team and then rejoin when you get to where you're going. Or if your entire team is moving from one piece of content to the next - like, "hey we just finished an ITF and want to do an LGTF now." I understand that LFG is not a catch-all but it's pretty damn convenient for most use cases.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

On 9/19/2019 at 2:00 AM, GM Sijin said:

This is exactly how the base teleporter power works, actually. Though maybe you were disqualifying it based on its activation time, recharge and/or cost.

Pretty much. I tend to get it by mentoring, then never use it because it takes too long to both use and recharge. Or wait, that's assemble the team. Base teleporter is from the Rapid Response member accolade. But anyway...

Edited by TheHunterJLJ

Limiting my already guarded posting both here & discord. Just too toxic for my tastes, & the mods do not seem to care.

https://cit.cohtitan.com/profile/3066

On 8/29/2019 at 12:23 PM, Burnt Toast said:

It is game breaking in pvp.....

Easy fix then... remove PvP... 😄

edit to add: (At around the page 10 mark when I add this edit.)

This reply was intended as a joke. I neither need nor expect PvP to be removed. And was a reply to this specific text (as above).

I don't hate PvPers (though some piss me off).

Nor do I think as a whole PvPers are the spawn of Santa.

I personally don't enjoy PvP in this game.

I personally would rather the game had remained purely PvE.

And if any of those statements make me a bad person in your eyes then fine.

Edited by Lost Ninja

28 minutes ago, Lost Ninja said:

Easy fix then... remove PvP... 😄

Let's remove badges, IOs, accolades, travel powers, and supergroup bases too, while we're talking out of our asses here.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, macskull said:

Let's remove badges, IOs, accolades, travel powers, and supergroup bases too, while we're talking out of our asses here.

Who is talking out of their ass? I said before PvP was introduced that it would detract from the game, nothing I have seen since has changed that view. Many of the things I have enjoyed doing in the past have been nerfed or completely removed to foster "PvP Balance". If the devs had either not added PvP at all, or had just said that PvE balance trumped PvP balance just think how much work on things that matter to the majority would have been done. At least two issues were pretty much devoted to PvP or PvP balance.

And at the end of it all PvP is still not remotely balanced, and QoL features (whether intended or not) must be removed because it prevents death in PvP... of course I'm pissed off.

edit:

On a lighter note I'd be happy with just being able to /slash command a replacement Base transporter with a small C/D and Innterupt, it's not the speed of use that makes it so useful its the lack of a 30 minute C/D, not needing to buy it and the fact that on leaving the base by base transporter you end up back where you started. Can be used to pop to the base to level up/sell/craft/etc and pop back to whatever you were doing before.

Edited by Lost Ninja

2 hours ago, Lost Ninja said:

Who is talking out of their ass? I said before PvP was introduced that it would detract from the game, nothing I have seen since has changed that view. Many of the things I have enjoyed doing in the past have been nerfed or completely removed to foster "PvP Balance". If the devs had either not added PvP at all, or had just said that PvE balance trumped PvP balance just think how much work on things that matter to the majority would have been done. At least two issues were pretty much devoted to PvP or PvP balance.

And at the end of it all PvP is still not remotely balanced, and QoL features (whether intended or not) must be removed because it prevents death in PvP... of course I'm pissed off.

edit:

On a lighter note I'd be happy with just being able to /slash command a replacement Base transporter with a small C/D and Innterupt, it's not the speed of use that makes it so useful its the lack of a 30 minute C/D, not needing to buy it and the fact that on leaving the base by base transporter you end up back where you started. Can be used to pop to the base to level up/sell/craft/etc and pop back to whatever you were doing before.

Name one of these things you enjoyed that have been nerfed or completely removed due to PvP. I'll wait.

(Also, did you miss the spot in this thread where Leandro said it was also abusable in PvE as a get-out-of-jail-free card for Master TF runs?)

Edited by macskull
  • Thanks 1

Man, I love this thing. Like it's great. Given, it's objectively abusable and obviously a concern. I wish they'd just revamp the Base TP to provide the same benefit in a less abusable outlet (IE Give it a like, 2 second interrupt. A 60 second CD. Make it not tied to No-Phase in PvP (It's a thing, and it's obnoxious)

Thankfully, as one of the most frequent RV players, there's only two people in the entire community that actively abuse it. To be honest, I think that the PvP community (At large) has avoided abusing it in 99.8% of cases. 

Edited by Epsilon Assassin

2 hours ago, macskull said:

Name one of these things you enjoyed that have been nerfed or completely removed due to PvP. I'll wait.

(Also, did you miss the spot in this thread where Leandro said it was also abusable in PvE as a get-out-of-jail-free card for Master TF runs?)

Hence why I said I'd be happy for it to have c/d and interrupt. From a purely PvE and mostly solo (or multi-boxing) standpoint I find it extremely useful. And while I stand by my assertion that no good ever came from PvP in this game it mostly intended as a joke when I suggested it was removed.

In all honesty it's over 10 years since I was annoyed about specific nerfs, I don't even remember what my BS/* Scrapper secondary and I played her for over 500 hours. I know that my (other) scrapper came out of several PvP aimed nerfs worse off than she went into them (DM/Rgn).

47 minutes ago, Starforge said:

I’ll bite. List the many things.

ED.

Global Defence Nerf.

Travel Powers Nerfed to prevent PvP abuse.

Repeated /Regen nerfs, as a level 50 scrapper when CoV launched I could solo EBs within two issues I had to take the Heal Self from the PP just to have enough healing.

But yeah as stated above I really don't recall specifics now more than ten years later (I had to look at the What When Guide in the Guides section just to pull up these).

Didn't like the idea of PvP before it was introduced, didn't enjoy playing it for the small amount of time I played it with the CoV launch (mostly because friends did and were into it), haven't touched it since the relaunch (and won't). For the record while I was never very good at PvP I did a lot of PvP in other games (WoW, EVE, GW2 (In GW2 I joined a PvP guild because I enjoyed it so much))

Edited by Lost Ninja
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lost Ninja said:

ED.

Global Defence Nerf.

Repeated /Regen nerfs, as a level 50 scrapper when CoV launched I could solo EBs within two issues I had to take the Heal Self from the PP just to have enough healing.o much))

None of these were pvp exclusive issues. ED was implemented because there was absolutely no reason to slot certain enhancements, over others and to clamp down on semi-rampant damage inflation. Yes, it was good for the PvP community, but it was just as necessary and justified for PvE as PvP, if not so more.

I don't even remember travel powers being nerfed for "PvP abuse". The only thing that comes to mind is a 50 page forum thread with PvE'rs whining about how hard travel powers were to control and getting us the minor suppression effect PvE has with said travel powers.

Regen was far above the balance curve in PvE and PvP both for a very long period, and to this day, it remains one of the best pvp sets. That being said, if you had issues soloing EB's with a /regen toon at that point in time, you were building it badly. My Spines/Regen Scrapper at the time could solo AV's with relative ease as long as they didn't have major -recharge or -regen effects. 

You're more then entitled to hate PvP, and oppose global nerfs based on solely pvp reasons. However that doesn't give you a blank check to, more or less, fabricate issues to pin on the PvP community. As it stands, the basepasscode is not an issue in PvP, it is a concern. Out of the dozens, if not hundreds of people that play RV for hundreds of hours per week, there are only two people who abuse it on anything considered a regular basis. However the fact that it exists, and can be abused, warrants attention from both PvE and PvP perspectives. We should be looking for ways to alleviate the concerns raised by all parties in a fair and impartial manner instead of trying to blame and shame people for having them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Epsilon Assassin said:

However that doesn't give you a blank check to, more or less, fabricate issues to pin on the PvP community. As it stands, the basepasscode is not an issue in PvP, it is a concern

Where on earth do you get that idea from?

A post that I expected to be taken as a joke, and a minor rant about how little I like PvP and somehow that is me saying how I blame the PvP community?

I don't enjoy PvP in this game!

I'd rather it hadn't been added.

I have no expectation at this point of it being removed and kudos to the people who enjoy it.

I won't tell you not to, or that I think less of you for doing so. I just won't partake myself.

On 8/29/2019 at 12:23 PM, Burnt Toast said:

It is game breaking in pvp.....

Not being a PvPer I have no idea if it's game breaking or not. But perhaps in future rather than exercising your forum PvP you ought to check what people have actually said.

8 hours ago, Lost Ninja said:

ED.

Global Defence Nerf.

Repeated /Regen nerfs, as a level 50 scrapper when CoV launched I could solo EBs within two issues I had to take the Heal Self from the PP just to have enough healing.

But yeah as stated above I really don't recall specifics now more than ten years later (I had to look at the What When Guide in the Guides section just to pull up these).

I'm not going to address these individually because other people have already done so, but... in the entire history of the game there has only ever been one power or mechanic nerfed in PvE specifically for PvP reasons and it's probably something 99% of players don't know about. However, there are multiple cases of powers getting buffed for PvP reasons that then had those buffs carried over into PvE. Do you like the -75% range on Taunt? That's a PvP change. Melee attack range going from 5 to 7 feet? PvP change.

3 hours ago, Epsilon Assassin said:

Regen was far above the balance curve in PvE and PvP both for a very long period, and to this day, it remains one of the best pvp sets. That being said, if you had issues soloing EB's with a /regen toon at that point in time, you were building it badly. My Spines/Regen Scrapper at the time could solo AV's with relative ease as long as they didn't have major -recharge or -regen effects. 

Though I wont disagree that regen was originally performing way above the curve I also agree that it was hit particularly hard because of the type of set it was in an attempt to balance it for PVP. In PVP the numbers had to be much lower for the regen buffs because in many cases it was being balanced to fighting ONE other player. When in PVE the set faces multiple enemies at a time. And with no def and mostly non-existant resistances in the set it means that when translated to a PVE world where a scrapper set of a different choice like willpower can still stand in the middle of a mob of enemies and live, Regen has problems. Now you can debate if any scrapper set should be able to tank if you want, but the fact is many do, regen used to, and now it can not. And those changes cut deeper because of PVP balance. 

Now for myself I can prob add to this list that on my energy blaster total focus used to be a mag 4 stun. This IMO was a balance to how long the animation was and how long it rooted you, and the idea that you were a blaster so this rooted you into a long animation in melee range of an enemy. They reduced it to a mag 3 stun because it was deemed to strong of a stun to have in pvp. 

20 minutes ago, macskull said:

I'm not going to address these individually because other people have already done so, but... in the entire history of the game there has only ever been one power or mechanic nerfed in PvE specifically for PvP reasons and it's probably something 99% of players don't know about. However, there are multiple cases of powers getting buffed for PvP reasons that then had those buffs carried over into PvE. Do you like the -75% range on Taunt? That's a PvP change. Melee attack range going from 5 to 7 feet? PvP change.

But you are talking about changed that had to be done for pvp that were of negligible use in PVE which is why they were not done until pvp was added. When you have a mob of NPCs standing around you fighting toe to toe a 2 foot difference in melee range means nothing. When you are fighting someone jumping around like an idiot on a hopped up combat jumping it does. Same thing goes for the taunt range. Don't need that kind of range when all your enemies are standing in a room or on a map and not moving or roaming around looking for enemies. You only need to hit the ones you can run up to and agro in yoru immediate range.

It has already been said but frankly my only use for this base command was easy of use. Sure having no animation time made it nice, but frankly until it was mentioned here I never once thought about skipping out of a pvp fight with it (thought I don't pvp) or escaping a death in pve with it etc. I only though it doesn't have that huge animation that half the time screws up at the end and it doesn't have a 30 minute cool down.  It later became easy to be able to set to get into friends bases having multiple macros set with different codes. 

So really to me I say this is the fix:

Give us back a click power that has a reasonable 5 minute cool down. Give it a animation time of a few seconds, maybe 5 but not interuptable, and have it only work out of combat. So like of like Hide works on a stalker, if you have taken or given damage in a certain amount of time I wont activate. Then change the teleport mechanic AND the base portal mechanic from zones to be able to program into it different Codes to come up. So I don't have to enter a code everytime I want to go into my SGs base vs my personal base or a friends, but I can just select off a list. Either I can add to the list or maybe it just holds my last 5 codes used or something more general. 

I think that gives everyone what they really want with little to no ability to abuse it. 

2 minutes ago, QuiJon said:

But you are talking about changed that had to be done for pvp that were of negligible use in PVE which is why they were not done until pvp was added. When you have a mob of NPCs standing around you fighting toe to toe a 2 foot difference in melee range means nothing. When you are fighting someone jumping around like an idiot on a hopped up combat jumping it does. Same thing goes for the taunt range. Don't need that kind of range when all your enemies are standing in a room or on a map and not moving or roaming around looking for enemies. You only need to hit the ones you can run up to and agro in yoru immediate range.

My point was that people are quick to blame PvP for things getting nerfed when in reality there were PvE reasons - to use your Regeneration example, old-style toggle IH meant that a Regen Scrapper was literally unkillable if they survived an alpha strike. Saying things like that got nerfed for PvP is disingenuous at best and downright wrong at worst.

To your Total Focus example, there was no functional difference between a mag 3 stun and mag 4 stun in PvP, but there was a huge functional difference in PvE because it allowed you to stun bosses in one application.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lost Ninja said:

ED.

Global Defence Nerf.

You also forgot

Intangibility - 'all of them being changed from a toggle to a click'

Toggle dropping on tanks/scrappers/brutes/stalkers - 'omg we can't get past their defenses now that IOs are here'

And for those of you refuting his claims. You're wrong.

ED was done for two reasons, first because pvpers complained about not being able to damage resist based toons because 'omg the six slotted toggles', it was done secondly because IOs were coming

GDN was done for two reasons, first because pvpers couldn't hit SR Scrappers. Second because IOs were coming.

Travel Power Suppression was implemented to prevent jousting because pvpers couldn't stand blasters/stalkers coming through and whacking them on the way through and not being to melee back.

Regen was originally nerfed because one player made a claim, posi insisted it couldn't be done, player told posi how wrong he was, posi one day teleported the player to a hidden cave and spawned monsters for the player who was on a claws/regen scrapper, posi found out real quick how wrong he was. The next regen nerf was absolutely pvpers complaining about not being able to out DPS them.

And now, pvpers have complained about the enterbasefrompasscode. Even if it was a 'mistake' to have it turned on, it was a low priority fix until the pvpers whined.

I was on the original forums when this went down, I had a job that afforded me the opportunity to lurk the forums for 8 hours a day. I watched it happen. This is not revisionist history, this is accurate, stop trying to convince people otherwise.

And you know what the worst part is, posi and every original dev on the boards claimed, promised, and swore that nothing in PVE would ever be changed because of PVP. And they LIED. Just like they lied about tanks getting a new mechanic that allowed them gain damage bonus by being attacked and attacking. Even though it was a year long discussion thread in the tank forums, input and discussion. And Promises were made there to, that tanks would be getting this wonderful new mechanic. Right up until they needed to drive sales for, you guessed it, COV.

PVPers need to own up to the changes they have caused to happen to the PVE game.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

4 minutes ago, Profit said:

Intangibility - 'all of them being changed from a toggle to a click'

To be fair I never had an Intangibility power (apart from the one in Dark that caused enemies to become intangible, which I never took because it tended to screw teams up, and in those days soloing wasn't done at +4/x8), so I doubt I'd have noticed any change to it.

But I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers the travel power nerf. 😄

3 minutes ago, Lost Ninja said:

To be fair I never had an Intangibility power (apart from the one in Dark that caused enemies to become intangible, which I never took because it tended to screw teams up, and in those days soloing wasn't done at +4/x8), so I doubt I'd have noticed any change to it.

But I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers the travel power nerf. 😄

Yeah, I'm a history minor. I hate revisionist history. It doesn't matter if it's ugly, stick to the truth about how things went down, not how you want to remember through rose colored glasses.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

4 hours ago, QuiJon said:

Though I wont disagree that regen was originally performing way above the curve I also agree that it was hit particularly hard because of the type of set it was in an attempt to balance it for PVP. In PVP the numbers had to be much lower for the regen buffs because in many cases it was being balanced to fighting ONE other player. When in PVE the set faces multiple enemies at a time. And with no def and mostly non-existant resistances in the set it means that when translated to a PVE world where a scrapper set of a different choice like willpower can still stand in the middle of a mob of enemies and live, Regen has problems. Now you can debate if any scrapper set should be able to tank if you want, but the fact is many do, regen used to, and now it can not. And those changes cut deeper because of PVP balance. 

Now for myself I can prob add to this list that on my energy blaster total focus used to be a mag 4 stun. This IMO was a balance to how long the animation was and how long it rooted you, and the idea that you were a blaster so this rooted you into a long animation in melee range of an enemy. They reduced it to a mag 3 stun because it was deemed to strong of a stun to have in pvp. 

Regen was performing far above the curve for a vast majority of early CoH history. Remember, the curve back then was a lot lower then it was/is now. At no point in Regen's history was it actually nerfed solely because of a PvP reason. Yes, PvPers complained about Regen, more vocally then PvE'rs, but that's a side effect of powerful sets being far more obvious in a competitive setting then in a casual one like PvE. 

That holds true for several, if not all of the Regen nerfs. If we nerfed Regen based solely on PvP, it would have been nerfed several more times due solely to the fact that it has been the best scrapper secondary for the vast majority of the games life, and continues to be until this day. 

8 hours ago, Lost Ninja said:

Where on earth do you get that idea from?

A post that I expected to be taken as a joke, and a minor rant about how little I like PvP and somehow that is me saying how I blame the PvP community?

I don't enjoy PvP in this game!

I'd rather it hadn't been added.

I have no expectation at this point of it being removed and kudos to the people who enjoy it.

I won't tell you not to, or that I think less of you for doing so. I just won't partake myself.

Not being a PvPer I have no idea if it's game breaking or not. But perhaps in future rather than exercising your forum PvP you ought to check what people have actually said.

You know posting stuff on the internet, then saying you were being sarcastic when proven wrong and passive aggressively insulting the person who took the time to prove you wrong and engage in the conversation simply makes you look bad, right?

If not, I would like for you to know that. 

25 minutes ago, Profit said:

And you know what the worst part is, posi and every original dev on the boards claimed, promised, and swore that nothing in PVE would ever be changed because of PVP. And they LIED. 

PVPers need to own up to the changes they have caused to happen to the PVE game.

The problem is that you think that the PvP and PvE community are different. They aren't. PvPer's are naturally vocal, but it doesn't mean that their issues don't translate to PvE. ED was done for PvE and PvP reasons. So were most if not all of the regen nerfs. Travel suppression was done because both sides were complaining about it. 

PvPer's play in a competitive environment, in that environment, it is far easier to identify problems with the game on a fundamental level. PvPer's are also usually very vocal about said issues. The changes made may have involved a lot of PvPers complaining about them, but at the same time, neither were any of those issues PvP exclusive. 

At no point in COH's history was any major balance decision made on the premise of PvP alone. It may have been looked at *because of* a PvP based complaint, but there is always, and was always, a very real PvE reason why a change happened if it happened. People just don't like admitting that changes happened for good reason and it harmed their gameplay experience, and it's easier to blame a scapegoat (IE the PvP community), rather then reflecting and admitting or discovering that there was solid reasoning behind changes. 

1 minute ago, Epsilon Assassin said:

PvPer's play in a competitive environment, in that environment, it is far easier to identify problems with the game on a fundamental level.

Please, if this were true then in PVP zones powers would function exactly the same as they do in PVE zones. But oh look, they don't! They even do different amounts of dmg/res/rechg! And OH LOOK there is a specific set of PVP IOs that grant two different types of bonuses depending on which zone they are in!!!!

Your statement is wildly inaccurate. For it to be accurate, things would have to function exactly the same in both sets of zones. Exactly.

Honestly, the best thing that could ever happen to this game is to roll back to before PVP, but since that couldn't happen without pulling a lot of spaghetti, the absolute best thing that can happen is a segregation of changes based on zones. Complete segregation. Power causing issues in PVP zones, that change better never effect the PVE side of the game. Then everyone is happy. PVPers get to continue on doing what they want, PVE doesn't every have to worry about it messing with ACTUAL FUNDAMENTAL GAMEPLAY. Don't forget, this game didn't start with PVP, it was added much later, as such it should not effect what was here before it.

20 minutes ago, Profit said:

Please, if this were true then in PVP zones powers would function exactly the same as they do in PVE zones. But oh look, they don't! They even do different amounts of dmg/res/rechg! And OH LOOK there is a specific set of PVP IOs that grant two different types of bonuses depending on which zone they are in!!!!

Its not? This point doesn't actually make logical sense. 

Your statement is wildly inaccurate. For it to be accurate, things would have to function exactly the same in both sets of zones. Exactly.

And for each of the examples in question, it did at the time. There's also a very real reason why PvP was considered to have "Died" when they changed it. 

Honestly, the best thing that could ever happen to this game is to roll back to before PVP, but since that couldn't happen without pulling a lot of spaghetti, the absolute best thing that can happen is a segregation of changes based on zones. Complete segregation. Power causing issues in PVP zones, that change better never effect the PVE side of the game. Then everyone is happy. PVPers get to continue on doing what they want, PVE doesn't every have to worry about it messing with ACTUAL FUNDAMENTAL GAMEPLAY. Don't forget, this game didn't start with PVP, it was added much later, as such it should not effect what was here before it.

PvP was a feature that was officially added in I4 (Though many people tried/played it before that). It was a planned feature discussed in interviews with Positron before the game actually released. 

While I certainly agree that, in a perfect world, PvE and PvP should be separate to best fulfill the best interests of both communities, I disagree with this underlying premise that leads people to villify and scorn the PvP community as "The reason all these bad things happened". They weren't, and the belief that it was is objectively and demonstrably false. It's also just not a valid point in this instance.

If this was "Just a PvP" issue, it would be simple. Make it against the rules, and attach a punishment. I am perhaps one of, if not the most prolific PvPer (I just PvP more then almost anyone else, I'm a zone rat), and I have only seen two people in dozens of hours a week of PvP that abuse it. PvP players are naturally vindictive, people would love to report and get people banned (What that says about the community aside), it would be very easy. 

If this gets "Fixed" it would be a very classic example of issue recognized by PvP community, and nerfed because of PvE reasons. Which is how most of these misunderstandings happen.

On 8/28/2019 at 5:05 AM, Megajoule said:

Constructive would be nice, yes.

But honestly:  am I wrong?

Even if the answer was yes, is anyone complaining? I have not once heard any player in game complain that they could easily go to any zone they wish with the click of a button.

Maybe on these forums they have, forum posters do that, but I stopped paying people any attention on these forums a long time ago. Most players dont post the forums and rightly so...too many elitist personalities who chase people away with their over analyzing and taking comments out of context. 

My point is, why would that be such a bad thing outside of PvP?