Plant/Storm Build Help

Dynastyjay

Does anyone have a Plant/Storm build they could post in this thread? I’ve rolled said troller and I’m approaching lvl 50 and would like to have something I can slot once I’m there. I’m just looking for a solid build is all, something I could solo comfortably with, etc. I know that team support will be different since the natural heal in /Storm is MEH at best so I would appreciate viable support alternatives as well, although the solo/damage monster builds will be what I shoot for most. 

Here's my Plant/Storm build.   Lots of recharge to spam roots, arcane bolt, lightning storm, and tornado; freezing rain and seeds of confusion up every spawn; no direct support powers.  I solo lots of missions, can solo a Pylon in 1:55, and can contribute on high-level TFs and iTrials.  

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.1
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Sequoia: Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Plant Control
Secondary Power Set: Storm Summoning
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Entangle -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(3), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(5), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Gale -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Roots -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(7), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(7), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(9), PstBls-Dam%(9), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(11)
Level 4: Strangler -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(17), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(17), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(19)
Level 6: Mystic Flight -- Frb-Stlth(A), Frb-Fly(19)
Level 8: Seeds of Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(21), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(21), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(23), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(23), CrcPrs-Conf%(25)
Level 10: Steamy Mist -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(25), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(27), UnbGrd-ResDam(27), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(29)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(29)
Level 14: Spore Burst -- WiloftheC-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), WiloftheC-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(31), WiloftheC-EndRdx/Rchg(31), WiloftheC-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(31), WiloftheC-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 16: Freezing Rain -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 18: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 20: Arcane Bolt -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(34), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Dcm-Build%(34), FrcFdb-Rechg%(36)
Level 22: Vines -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(36), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(36), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(37)
Level 24: Rune of Protection -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(37), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(37), StdPrt-ResKB(39)
Level 26: Carrion Creepers -- JvlVll-Acc/Dmg(A), JvlVll-Dam%(39), JvlVll-Dam/Rech(39), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(40), PstBls-Dam%(40), SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(40)
Level 28: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(42), Rct-ResDam%(42)
Level 30: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 32: Fly Trap -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(42), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(43), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43)
Level 35: Tornado -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), AchHee-ResDeb%(43), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(45), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(45), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(46)
Level 38: Lightning Storm -- Apc-Dam%(A), GldJvl-Dam%(46), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(46), Dvs-Dmg/Rchg(48), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(48), FrcFdb-Rechg%(48)
Level 41: Indomitable Will -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(50)
Level 44: Mind Over Body -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(50)
Level 47: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Victory Rush -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(11), Prv-Absorb%(13), Pnc-Heal/+End(13)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(15), EndMod-I(15)
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Polar Lights Core Superior Ally 
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Cognitive Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Control Radial Embodiment 
------------

• Like 1

• 6 months later

@mezzosoprano

Mezzo, I grouped with you when you were playing Sequoia.  I was so impressed by what you did I asked you for a build link and you told me about this post.  Well, I rolled a plant/storm controller and have leveled him up to 50.  I used your build to the letter.  There are still some of the more expensive enhancements missing from my build but I can currently comfortably solo +3/x8 AE missions.

I have some follow up questions now that I am playing the build, if you don't mind.  I know I could message you but I am sure others would benefit from your experience.

1) Regading the toggles, I am guessing some of them are just there for the enhancement bonuses and you don't turn them on.  I feel fairly certain Stealth falls into this category.  On the other side I would think Steamy Mist (stealth to get close for Spores), Tactics (For the Gaussian Proc) and Mind over Body (For S/L Res) are always on.  What about Maneuvers?  Do you bother with turning that one on?

2) Should I use Tornado?  I saw you using it a lot.  That thing knocks stuff around a lot.  What about when you group?

3) How are you using Victory Rush?  To be honest I am a little underwhelmed at the END I get from using it.  Is it a straight up chunk of END you are supposed to get or is it a +Regen bonus to END?

4) Under what conditions do you use Indomitable Will?  I don't have it perma, maybe when I get the rest of the enhancements I need I will be able to do it.  I never really understood when to use these Click powers.  By the time I am held or stunned it's too late...

5) Same question on Rune of Protection - except I can see saving this when you are getting hammered so maybe that one is obvious...

6) Powers I never use: Gale, Spore Burst and Vines.  Should I be using them?  Honestly I have on occasion in a group used spore burst when we overpull.  I supposed the same could be said of vines.

7) Any other advice or tips with the build?

It was awesome teaming with you the other day.  Welcome to the Chaos Club! 

Over time, I've slightly tweaked my build from what I previously posted.  My current build is below.

(1) Yes, Stealth was an LOTG mule in the previous build.  I liked having 5, but Stealth really was a wasted power, with Steamy Mist and a +Stealth IO in Mystic Flight.  I generally run with Steamy Mist, Mystic Flight, Maneuvers, Tactics, and Mind Over Body toggled on.  Seeds of Confusion is most of my defense.  In AE farms, it can be tough to keep everyone in front of me.  I like the tunnel map because I can break LOS with the columns, forcing the bad guys to clump up again.  Fly Trap can handle non-boss stragglers that fall behind.

(2) Tornado without the KB->KD IO throws bad guys everywhere.  Prior to slotting that IO, I generally only used Tornado solo or when facing AVs.  With that slotted, Tornado can still push/repel bad guys, but normally doesn't scatter them.  The alternative to the KB/KD IO is trying to spam Roots before your Tornado catches up from the last group.  That tends to work solo, allowing you to slot something else in Tornado's 6th slot.  

(3) With Ageless Core Epiphany (T4 Destiny), I don't use Victory Rush very often anymore.  I've considered moving it earlier in the build to use on lower-level Task Forces, or swapping it out for a different power. 

(4/5) For my playstyle, Indomitable Will and Rune of Protection are primarily used for their slotted IOs.  I do find myself clicking both of these when things start to go haywire, since additional resistance helps.  

(6) I use Vines to handle extra spawns if Seeds of Confusion isn't up.  Spore Burst doesn't get used much.

When sowing mass chaos, I spam Seeds, Freezing Rain, Roots, Creepers, Lightning Storm, Tornado -- I fire these almost any time they are up.  In AE farming, Creepers and procs do roughly 50% of my damage.  The new TAOE set on the test server has another damage proc that will go in Creepers.  I'm thinking of swapping the Javelin Volley acc/dam for the new damage proc, then boosting the two remaining dam/rech IOs to +5. 

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Sequoia: Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Plant Control
Secondary Power Set: Storm Summoning
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Teleportation
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Entangle -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(3), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(5), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Gale -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Roots -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(7), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(7), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(9), PstBls-Dam%(9)
Level 4: Strangler -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(15), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(15), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(17)
Level 6: Mystic Flight -- Frb-Stlth(A), Frb-Fly(17)
Level 8: Seeds of Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(19), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(19), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(21), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(21), CrcPrs-Conf%(23)
Level 10: Steamy Mist -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(23), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25), UnbGrd-ResDam(25), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(27)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(27)
Level 14: Spore Burst -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(29), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(31), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 16: Freezing Rain -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31), AchHee-ResDeb%(33)
Level 18: Arcane Bolt -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(33), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Dcm-Build%(34), FrcFdb-Rechg%(34)
Level 20: Recall Friend -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 22: Vines -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(36), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(36), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(36)
Level 24: Rune of Protection -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), StdPrt-ResKB(37), UnbGrd-ResDam(37), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 26: Carrion Creepers -- JvlVll-Acc/Dmg(A), JvlVll-Dam%(39), JvlVll-Dam/Rech(39), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(39), PstBls-Dam%(40), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(40)
Level 28: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(40), Rct-ResDam%(42)
Level 30: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit(42)
Level 32: Fly Trap -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(42), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(43), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43)
Level 35: Tornado -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(43), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(45), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(45), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(46)
Level 38: Lightning Storm -- Apc-Dam%(A), GldJvl-Dam%(46), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(46), Dvs-Dmg/Rchg(48), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(48), FrcFdb-Rechg%(48)
Level 41: Indomitable Will -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50)
Level 44: Mind Over Body -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(50)
Level 47: Victory Rush -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(50)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(11), Pnc-Heal/+End(11)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(13), EndMod-I(13)
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Polar Lights Core Superior Ally 
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
------------

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am leveling up a plant/storm - two of my favorite sets.  I don't know why I didn't do this earlier.

Here is my current build:

Powers Taken & Why It Matters:

Entangle - skipped, who needs a single-target immob that does meh damage over time?

Strangler - Your go-to attack AND hold.

Roots - this is one reason you skip Entangle; it's also your "spamming" power, so get some End Reduction in there!

Spore Burst - situational, but with the chaos of Storm, it's not likely things will remain sleeping.  I always skip it.

Seeds of Confusion - your opening attack!  Why not start out with friends?  Seriously, this is game-breaking.  Mind Controllers have to wait until their T9 at level 32, muahahaha, and it's a longer recharge.  Shhh, don't tell the devs.

Spirit Tree - I skip because LoL regen = who is waiting around that long for a trickle heal?  Get a panacea proc in health and get similar results all the time w/o wasting a power and slots!  Skip the tree.

Vines - Sweet "O.S." power (oh, sh!t).  4-slotted with basilisk and you're good to go.

Carrion Creepers - the reason you are playing Plant Control.  Get them +Rech as much as possible, use them every time.  Not only do they do damage, they immob and TANK for you, as mobs will attack them.

Fly Trap - it's the pet, it's ok.  Looks cool, when colored well.  Don't expect a lot except a 4-slotted rech-pet set.

Gale - Have to take, but you know what?  It's a decent interrupt and time-buying power.  I 2-slot it, and use it as a aoe KD to buy some time to fill in control gaps, if needed.

O2 Boost - Skipping this shows you are not a team player.  Take this if you plan to team because it is a great buff that happens to heal.  It is EXCELLENT on early TFs where you fight clocks and freaks and other end-draining things, as well as disorienting things...  plus you can 6-slot an inexpensive preventive medicine set for rech and end reduction.

Snow Storm - decent 1-slot power that sometimes I'll take at 49, for the -fly utility, but roots does that well, too, so on controllers with aoe immob that -fly's, I don't take it.

Steamy Mist - a no-brainer, 6-slot it with Reactive Defense, as the default resists are good enough and you really should be shooting for more defense over resists.  Plus the set bonuses are great (more end reduction)

Freezing Rain - the reason you take Storm.  One of the greatest debuffs in the game, and no need for a lot of slots (3-4); add that Achilles' Heel proc for even more -res (chance).

Hurricane - some like it, many don't.  Most people are not very good at playing with it, but in the hands of a skilled player, it's incredible.  Do not pass it up, even if you're not good with it, it's still a great set mule and another "O.S." power.  I mainly use it to To-Hit debuff AVs and EBs, things that don't repel or KB/KD.  On my Plant/Storm, I get -45% to hit debuff - that's serious.  Plus the -range is good.

Thunder Clap - I always skip this, as it's just a mag 2 and not really needed.  On my Earth/Storm I'll take it to add to Stalagmites, but on Plant/Storm, I'll pass.

Tornado - This is the "one" of the one-two punch, take it, slot it, love it.  I go 4-rech-pet set and 2 sudden accel for the KB-KD proc.  It is your damage dealer, lock things down tight so it AoEs (but even single target, it's nice)

Lightning Storm - This is the "two" of the one-two punch.  I slot for damage, some slot for procs.  YMMV.

Add in your pools (I go Scorpion Shield, as I like to survive encounters) as well as the usual Fighting, Flight, and Leadership.  Leadership should be mandatory on a defender (numbers-wise), controllers are 2nd best at it, so don't pass them up.  I only wish I could run all of them, but you'll see in my build in this post that I took recall friend instead of assault.  Mostly because Plant/Storm *is* a bit endurance intensive.  I might add it in when I'm incarnated out with end mod / end reduction.

As a side note:  Since this is an endurance-intensive set, you need to let the powers do the work.  Seeds, Freezing Rain, Carrion Creepers, Roots, Tornado & Lightning Storm... that takes a bit of endurance, but the good news is, you can basically sit back and recover while they do all the work.  Maybe re-apply the Roots or hit Strangler on a boss to start stacking mag.  At this point (after initial drops) it becomes a "maintenance playstyle" - adding only what needs to be added or refreshed (rain, roots, tornado/LS, etc.).  Toss an O2 boost to pet or teammate, whatever.  Heck, I will throw in a Gale, just to see more flopping around!

It is a beast.  Probably the most impressive controller combination I've played; and I play a lot of controllers - usually for control and support; but this build / combo is definitely a damage-dealer and control.  Support is non-existent (O2 boost), but you should have things floppin' and lockin' (locked down) most all of the time, with temporary "friends" (seeds of confusion) to assist.

I'd complain about the pet, but that's pretty much every controller pet.  Except Singularity.  That's the best controller pet in the game.

Edited by r0y