Can We Get Rid of Aggro Cap?

Vayek2

4 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

"Mobbed Debuff"

.... that is an excellent implementation.

Damned shame it wasn't thought about back on Live...!!

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

10 hours ago, GM Sijin said:

I heard you were looking for a challenge. Try soloing that ITF at +4x8 with this setup. Hint: You can't. These settings would destroy most PuGs even in easier arcs at +4.

image.png.c7382a678e3ea1c48f112868c1d6bfcd.png

(And yes I know the ask is to bring the challenge up to the level of the player power not the other way around, I'm just feeling snarkastic.)

This is fantastic suggestion! Not the solo part, I'm thinking that's impossible. But doing this as a team. So what kind of team do we think it would take to do this? All Defender, Controller, or Corruptor teams could probably manage it.

So let's take it a step further, no repeating AT or powersets. What does everyone think would be a good team for such a challenge? Rad, Kin, and Cold buff/debuffs are the ones that immediately come mind. Time would be good here as well. 

My initial thinking is Blasters, Stalkers, and probably Scrappers might struggle more than most. Brute and Tank would be good for this. Doms are pretty squishy too, but the extra controls would be nice. 

Edited by MunkiLord

22 hours ago, Megajoule said:

I honestly doubt the OP is actually looking for a challenge.  They want their Issue single-digits power fantasy back, where they can herd an entire zone into a dumpster and then nuke it.

/jranger

And of course farm faster

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 8:39 PM, Redlynne said:

Because YOU are trying to ruin OUR game to serve YOUR power trip/fantasy at OUR expense.

wow, you really are full of anger and resentment. Maybe you need to go see a therapist and work through your anger issues.

Telling someone to f**k off to their own server for asking questions about trying to add more challenge to the game is childish and asinine. It doesn't actually contribute to the conversation - which, as is indicated even in this discussion, has been happening multiple times from multiple different people. So, it's reasonable to conclude here that it's a common theme for players to be interested in some ways for the game to present a greater challenge.

So, go ahead, step down off your soap box, stop beating your chest, and please go see someone about those anger issues that trigger you over the simplest of things. 

On 8/31/2019 at 4:04 AM, GM Sijin said:

I heard you were looking for a challenge. Try soloing that ITF at +4x8 with this setup. Hint: You can't. These settings would destroy most PuGs even in easier arcs at +4.

(And yes I know the ask is to bring the challenge up to the level of the player power not the other way around, I'm just feeling snarkastic.)

hahahahahaha!!!

I have been tweaking around with the settings. We ran a Liberty TF the other day at 54 x8 with no temp powers and buffed enemies. It was great! I think I died 6 or 7 times, and every time the group tried to split, people died. 

Those settings absolutely raised the stakes for us. Showed my group where we have been getting complacent, and where we can make improvements. So, we've been doing these things to all of our task forces since 🙂

Thanks for this suggestion! While being funny and sarcastic (which I appreciate), the theme of upping the difficulty this way has been working great for us!

On 8/31/2019 at 4:04 AM, GM Sijin said:

Also, 2 - 4 warshades (tri-forms with good builds) could probably pull off that challenge setting. Since tri-forms don't rely on toggles or pool powers (changing forms drops all toggles). But, then again, they might need to use inspirations. I'd have to stress test it to be sure. But, I seriously doubt the same could be said for any other TF/SF really. Just because the ITF largely has nictus damage which doesn't do much to Kheldians.

22 minutes ago, Moka said:

Can we get rid of the aggro cap specifically for tankers?

... no.

Tankers are why we HAVE an aggro cap.

Fore tanks, specifically.  Who - as people right in this thread have related - used to be able to herd ENTIRE ZONES into one great big gaggle of "ignore everyone but that guy over there, he called my mommy a rude name" NPCs that everyone else could just burn down with impunity.

• Like 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

46 minutes ago, Moka said:

Can we get rid of the aggro cap specifically for tankers?

The current code doesn't allow this at all, the cap is baked into all NPC's for all AT's...You raise it for Tanks, and it goes up for everyone else...

That's not to say the current code couldn't be changed, but it's significantly harder than just changing a number, and thus far the Dev's have been reluctant to want to take that on...probably for the technical as well as the same reasons that Pax mentioned.  (Damnit, I've got to stop agreeing with him...) 😉

• Haha 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

11 minutes ago, Moka said:

It's a shame we can't just have it so the aggro cap is situational to where it disappears in missions and not in zones haha. Of course that's asking for the impossible when it comes to the code. 

You pretty much need the cap in zones.  Back before the cap we had folks herding the Perez park map for lowbies.  Also witnessed people herding so many Rikti monkeys from Monkey Island in PI over to Ghost Falcon that the server couldn't render them all.  Quite a lot of people AFK got griefed there.

6 hours ago, PaxArcana said:

... no.

Tankers are why we HAVE an aggro cap.

Fore tanks, specifically.  Who - as people right in this thread have related - used to be able to herd ENTIRE ZONES into one great big gaggle of "ignore everyone but that guy over there, he called my mommy a rude name" NPCs that everyone else could just burn down with impunity.

I can't recall the map, but it was one of the AV maps I think. As long as the AV wasn't killed, it was the premier farming mission back in the day. A /fire tank would farm the entire map of ninjas, and it's a very large map where the AV is always dead center. Everyone else would wait while the tanker herded them behind a rock/tombstone near the entrance and slowly whittle them down with burn. It's likely one of the reasons the burn itself was change, before the terror effect and before there were caps on AOE targets.

But what I remember fondly, was when people messed up and attempted to join the tank in close range. There were so many caltrop patches over a fairly good area, once you got in range you did not get back out alive without a teleport. Fun times with that rude awakening.

Overall I've got to agree, no need for raising aggro caps. While the xp was great, it was abusive and an entirely boring way to play, sitting at the door watching the tanker tank and kill the whole map. 

Edited by subbacultchas

8 minutes ago, subbacultchas said:

can't recall the map, but it was one of the AV maps I think. As long as the AV wasn't killed, it was the premier farming mission back in the day. A /fire tank would farm the entire map of ninjas, and it's a very large map where the AV is always dead center. Everyone else would wait while the tanker herded them behind a rock/tombstone near the entrance and slowly whittle them down with burn. It's likely one of the reasons the burn itself was change, before the terror effect and before there were caps on AOE targets.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moka said:

It's a shame we can't just have it so the aggro cap is situational to where it disappears in missions and not in zones haha. Of course that's asking for the impossible when it comes to the code. 

And there was the time we were in an office, the tank herded about 100 enemies and went into a side room by accident.. The enemies all clogged the doorway and he couldn't get out. He ran out of end, his toggles dropped and he died. 
The end. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Chuckers said:

And there was the time we were in an office, the tank herded about 100 enemies and went into a side room by accident.. The enemies all clogged the doorway and he couldn't get out. He ran out of end, his toggles dropped and he died. 
The end. 

Honestly sounds like a fun time. 

• Like 1

No because, as the video above clearly shows, you NEED an aggro cap.

Lots of people cried about ED and I joined the game about 2-3 issues later and when I saw what pre-ED character could do I laughed and thought 'what IDIOT let that go live?'

The aggro cap was put in for a reason. That reason is still valid ergo so is the cap.

• Like 2

• 7 months later
On 9/13/2019 at 1:02 AM, EyeLuvBooks said:

No because, as the video above clearly shows, you NEED an aggro cap.

Lots of people cried about ED and I joined the game about 2-3 issues later and when I saw what pre-ED character could do I laughed and thought 'what IDIOT let that go live?'

The aggro cap was put in for a reason. That reason is still valid ergo so is the cap.

Agreed that we NEED an aggro cap, but I truly believe that 17 is too low, and always has been. the AoE cap is 16. why would the aggro cap be AoE cap +1? I think most of us who dislike the Aggro cap could be quite happy with it being, say, doubled to 34. AoE caps can stay where they are, two full x8 mobs could be herded together, teams who love herding and work together could get a horde 2x the size of what they can now, ranged/AoE balance is maintained since the AoE caps aren't touched, and at the end of the day, full map dumpster diving is still a thing of the past.

Simply put, why leave the agro cap at 17? 17 is just as boring as herding an entire map. increase it, but keep a cap in place.

• Haha 1