Can We Get Rid of Aggro Cap?

Vayek2

well, what are the choices? start a new one and have everyone tell me that it has already been discussed, therefore, I shouldn't have suggested it at all, or necro a thread with a slightly altered plan (that apparently includes someone responding to the page 1 rather than the most recent post)?

• Like 1

Remove Aggro cap

Balance

- Endurance drain for each target hit by taunt aura

- Endurance drain for each hit by target resist and avoided hit by defense

- Endurance drain for each target taunted with a click of a button, BOOM! instant drop

- Endurance drain proportional like Repel or Hurricane, doesn't need to be high but .01 is not what you are hoping for.  Has to be high enough for maybe 5 seconds worth of "Chuck Norris Beard" syndrome.

- *chuckle* Goodbye Incarnate Recovery powers to counter endurance drain, already beyond powerful for normal content.

Now you can have unlimited aggro cap, you just can't keep it. 😂

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

Would it be reasonable to experiment with changing the aggro cap instead of removing it entirely?  I don't want the game to devolve back into herding entire maps, but the current aggro cap is a bit restrictive to tanking characters against full sized spawns.  If it's as simple as changing a value and doesn't break anything then maybe a slight bump to the cap could be tested out.

19 minutes ago, josh1622 said:

Would it be reasonable to experiment with changing the aggro cap instead of removing it entirely?  I don't want the game to devolve back into herding entire maps, but the current aggro cap is a bit restrictive to tanking characters against full sized spawns.  If it's as simple as changing a value and doesn't break anything then maybe a slight bump to the cap could be tested out.

I have nothing against your idea.

However, I kind of like the aggro cap where it is, because against full sized spawns there are plenty of enemies for each member of the team to deal with. As a Tanker, I have the ones I can aggro and try to consolidate. The rest are for the other Tanker, or the Brutes, or the Controllers or Defenders, or that Mastermind over there. I like being able to have so many enemies to jump into that there is still an element of danger even if I perform my job flawlessly.

However, it would be a lie to say that my reaction to the Aggro cap being raised wouldn't be a big smile and maybe some giggling.

1 hour ago, josh1622 said:

/Jverysorrynovote

Very sorry.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 12:00 AM, Myrmidon said:

“And I'll look down and whisper: 'No.”

• Remove Aggro Cap for Tankers
  • Add a Support/Melee AT with OP or just plain weird inherent 
  • Fix lolpvp
  • Un-nerf the Rage -def nerf 
  • Make the game Easier
  • Make the game Harder
  • Ignore Energy Melee
  • Nerf Regen 

I'm sure I missed some.  

• Like 2

From my experience playing a Tanker with doubled aggro cap on TSpy (they added it for Tankers only), I can say that it's a welcome addition and definitely not game-breaking. However, with Tankers being essentially Brutes AoE damage-wise in this server i could see it being a balance issue.

1 hour ago, ArchVileTerror said:

Now -there- is something interesting.  What coding wizardry did they perform to get that to happen, I wonder.

It's not a coding issue that is stopping HC from doing it - it is a balance issue. Other servers have done a lot of things that have made the game stupidly easy and in the process created major imbalances. HC is focused on maintaining the original feel of the game while addressing some QoL issues, power balance issues, and creating new content/powers that are mindful of overall game balance. Just because you can do something...doesn't mean doing so would be beneficial to the game or the players. 

4 hours ago, Burnt Toast said:

It's not a coding issue that is stopping HC from doing it - it is a balance issue. Other servers have done a lot of things that have made the game stupidly easy and in the process created major imbalances. HC is focused on maintaining the original feel of the game while addressing some QoL issues, power balance issues, and creating new content/powers that are mindful of overall game balance. Just because you can do something...doesn't mean doing so would be beneficial to the game or the players. 

Well Homecoming isn't really making the game harder with the veteran levels system and the Tanker buffs. That being said, let's not turn this thread into a server war please. We as players (who can enjoy all these servers) deserve more than that.

5 hours ago, Auroxis said:

Well Homecoming isn't really making the game harder with the veteran levels system and the Tanker buffs. That being said, let's not turn this thread into a server war please. We as players (who can enjoy all these servers) deserve more than that.

Okay fine. Let's keep the aggro cap where it is. I don't think it would do anything positive for the game. There we're back on topic now. 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 year later

Necro Part 2:  The Cake Evolution server removed the aggro cap entirely. Most AoE powers have their hit caps removed as well, but powers like burn, still have a target cap. So it is possible to adjust it. But I like an idea in another post here. Being able to spawn a group of enemies that are boss level or higher only, would be nice.

As for farming in general. You're not going to get rid of it entirely. You can't. Even if they remove xp from AE entirely, there are still normal missions that do just as well, and in some cases, better.

Edited by iceman2036
  • Thumbs Down 3

2 minutes ago, iceman2036 said:

Necro Part 2:  The Cake Evolution server removed the aggro cap entirely. Most AoE powers have their hit caps removed as well, but powers like burn, still have a target cap. So it is possible to adjust it. But I like an idea in another post here. Being able to spawn a group of enemies that are boss level or higher only, would be nice.

As for farming in general. You're not going to get rid of it entirely. You can't. Even if they remove xp from AE entirely, there are still normal missions that do just as well

Great. So every poster with this idea is free to go play on Cake. Good to know. Take note, all.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, iceman2036 said:

Necro Part 2:  The Cake Evolution server removed the aggro cap entirely. Most AoE powers have their hit caps removed as well, but powers like burn, still have a target cap. So it is possible to adjust it.

"Possible to do" and "Good idea" aren't synonymous. (See also "Hey y'all, watch this.") 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

And holy bejeesus how did you @Haijinx miss Moar KB/get rid of KB topic 😜

And "please don't touch that dial", the aggro dial.  Just NO thank you very much.  You want a bigger mosh pit --> 8 characters ×17 aggro cap ought to a fine job of dragging a huge chunk of a map together.  You don't need to be a Tanker to grab the attention of a mob.  Radiation Infection in one direction, Darkest Night in another, etc..  The biggest "herd" I probably ever saw wasn't a Tanker, it was a Stormie dragging what had to be half the Hollows map of Trolls, Ogres, CoT, Hellions and Skulls (and god knows what else) towards the AP gate.  Me just praying none of them noticed my poor level 6 Scrapper trying to embed herself in the warwall as the parade went by.

You want more difficult content check out the Relentless challenge setting on Beta.

Id maybe be ok with taunt temporarily letting someone go over the cap but even that has downsides of tanks and brutes just spamming taunt and not using other abilities.  I think we are at the 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' part of the agro cap at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later

If I may make a suggestion: Make this one of those 'runs long enough for one mission then has a 15 min cooldown' things. That way, if you have just the right team, just the right map, your favorite enemies etc...go ham with it. However, I would NOT want to see the 'good ol days' where you could aggro a whole map return for the same reason I don't want the game to return to the pre-ED days.