Grav/Energy Help Requested

Akki

Hey everyone! I was hoping to get some assistance in power choices and potential IO choices.

I am having a lot of fun with this Dom and feel like I have too many ranged attacks just sitting unused. Is there anyone with some CTRL/DOM/BLSTR experience that could help me weed out a bit or optimize cycles?

Here are my thoughts on each power, please give me your insight regarding my power choices. 

Gravity Control

1. Crush
    1. Why? single target immobilize when the TAoE version recharges so fast.
  2. Lift
    1. Guess I have to. Good soft control if your flopping around like a fish you aren't attacking. 
  3. Gravity Distortion
    1. Single target hold alway useful
  4. Propel
    1. At first I did not want to take this power because of its long animation time. But I soon realized it did a full dumpster load of damage (literally sometimes) so I used an alt build to try it out. I was happy to see the animation times were significantly reduced from the old days. I am happy with this power as my staple DPS.
  5. Crushing Field
    1. TAoE immobilize? Yes please.
  6. Dimension Shift
    1. Phasing attacks almost always lead to player frustration and wasted attacks. Unless something has changed that I do not know about, I will not take this.
  7. Gravity Distortion Field
    1. TAoE Hold with an obnoxious recharge. I will still take it.
  8. Wormhole
    1. My favorite lol power. Good for grouping enemies and controlling mobs. 
  9. Singularity
    1. Honestly I never get far enough in Grav to get this in the old days. I don't know enough about what Singularity does other than some single target grav attacks and repel. I will take it because more control is always welcomed. 

Energy Assault 

1. Power Bolt
    1. Gotta take it.
  2. Bone Smasher
    1. I like this power but would not be upset if it was missing. Good stun chance with domination though. 
  3. Power Push
    1. Does a fair amount of damage and strong knockback. Good for when you need to get a melee baddie away from you but I should be able to pacify them with holds, imobs, or propel's KB. However I do like the look of the projectile. 
  4. Power Blast
    1. More pew pew. But stats wise propel is better in every way.
  5. Power Boost
    1. Sometimes you need a super hold for that pesky boss. Here is the answer. Boosting all your secondaries for 15 seconds is amazing. It looks like it boosts defense as well. 
  6. Whirling Hands
    1. One of my favorite attacks in the game. pretty spinny death. I would prefer to keep this in my final build.
  7. Total Focus
    1. Great attack, good damage, good stun potential, and STORES ENERGY 100% of the time! Whirling Hands got a lot more dangerous. 
  8. Sniper Blast
    1. For my Dom I dont really see the point. My BLSTR 100% would take this but I am so quick to hit an entire group I can't justify this attack for anything more than an opener. With not innate way to get bonus accuracy I do not think I will quick cast this very often. 
  9. Power Burst
    1. The energy version of propel. Slightly more damage same KB and nearly double the recharge time. Ugggh. This is the top of the energy pool? It is only slightly better than what I got at 6th level. I have to be missing something here. 

Ancillary

Thematically I want to take Primal Force or Fire Mastery for my Ancillary. Patron powers are on the table but... I am not sold on them.

Power pools

Haste (till I can IO out for perma DOM)

Sorcery: My toon is magic so I like the visuals of the Sorcery pool. But I dont think I need anything other than the convenience of the travel power. 

Fighting: Touch and Weave seem very attractive. 

Hover: +Def is always good and can keep me out of ground hazards for less endurance than flight.

Stealth: +Def +??? 

I want to grab ALL THE POWERS! but I realize that that is now a waste. Help me weed out the things I can do without.

Also is there a guide out there fore IOs? I quit the game when they were first coming out and do not have any experience with the set IOs. 

Thanks in advance!

Crush is useful for enemies with the Purple Triangles (Ozryk here on the forums taught me that).  They can't chew on your face if they can't reach it.  Crushing Field has a pretty hefty endurance cost and can get you a lot of unwanted aggro in groups.  Some people grab it to keep Wormholed enemies from stumbling around.

Dimension Shift is definitely more trouble than it's worth to me.  It's finicky to place and has the problems you mentioned.  I tried it out as a panic button, but I used it so rarely I respecced out of it pretty quickly.

I tend to take Super Speed and Stealth together to be able to stealth missions while solo.  Of course, that can be done with IOs when you start slotting those.  Specifically, you can put a +Stealth IO in travel powers, including Sprint.  Stealthing into an enemy group with Singularity out ensures the pet takes the initial aggro/alpha strike.  Stealth also gives you a place to stick a Luck of the Gambler recharge enhancement to help with permadom.

Permadom means Domination recharges before it wears off, allowing it to be on all the time.  This is achieved through slotting IO sets with global recharge reductions as set bonuses.  The Luck of the Gambler IO I mentioned is one of the enhancements that can help with that.

Singularity can take a beating.  It's also nice to have another hold source to stack magnitude.  I'm still working out the best way to slot it myself.

If you're only using Sorcery for the travel power, you might consider the Flight pool instead.  Hover can keep you pretty safe when combined with the -fly in your control powers.  It's also another place to stick a LotG.  Another popular choice is Combat Jumping from the Leaping Pool.  It uses very little endurance and adds a small amount of defense to all attacks as well as resistance to immobilize.

Many folks prefer ancillary pools with defense armors as opposed to resistance armors like those found in Primal Forces and Fire Mastery.  The idea is that by not being hit at all, you avoid secondary effects like the reduction in your chance to hit that comes from most dark energy damage.  I think Dominators have kind a low hitpoint cap (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), so even with resistance, getting hit hurts.

• Like 1

I'll add my opinions on Energy Assault as well. 

Disclaimers: 1. My dominators are happy in melee, so I can't speak to Energy as a ranged set.  2.  I'm pro-knockback which is a little controversial.

Energy got a lot of tweaks with the most recent patch, so you may want to refer to the Patch Notes for August 27.

Energy Bolt - eh.  It's there, you gotta take it, so throw some slots in there while you level and move the slots elsewhere later if you need to.

Bone Smasher - pretty lights, satisfying *thwimp*.  I dig it.  It got buffed a bit in the patch, which I'll talk about when I'm talking about Total Focus.

Power Push - I love it.  The swirly lights are pretty, and the knockback is a plus for me.  Early on, when you still have to juggle the enemies a bit, sending one flying while you get things under control is    handy.  I especially like knocking enemies off ledges.  After they're done ragdolling, they still need to get back up to you.  If you're on a team, aim so the bad guys end up someplace convenient.  Don't make your melee and Kinetics friends sad.  Used with your controls, it's a single target blast with nothing special.

Power Blast - this one comes during a period when you're trying to get your core powers, Hasten, and a travel power.  By the time I have some room to grab this, I already have Propel and Power Push, so I've never found it useful.  I just don't need another single target attack.

Power Up (formerly Power Boost) - offers a nice bit of damage enhancement, but the real plus is that it makes all of your control effects stronger.  Gravity/Energy can load up a stupid amount of hold magnitude in a very short amount of time, and this is part of that.  If you want to show off, you can hit Domination > Power Up > Gravity Distortion > Gravity Distortion Field > have Singularity do its thing > Burnout from the Speed power pool > do it all again.  It also applies to knockback, so either have your target controlled or pay attention to where you're aiming your blasts.

Whirling Hands - the only AoE in Energy.  Got a nice buff with the patch, which I'll talk about with Total Focus.  Still pretty swirly hands.

Total Focus - *weeeTHUUMP*.  Makes lizard brain happy.  With the patch, the animation is significantly faster.  It guarantees Energy Focus, which means your next Whirling Hands, Power Burst, or Bone Smasher does a chunk of extra damage.  It makes a real difference with Whirling Hands.  I used to skip Whirling hands, but this has made it worth taking for me.

Sniper Blast - this one acts a lot differently after the patch, so I'm less familiar with it.  Basically, it hits really hard if you are out of combat when you start it.  In combat, there's a ring around it that indicates that it has become instant cast.  The more +ToHit you have, the more damage it does in its quick form (capping at 22% ToHit).  Keep in mind ToHit is different than Accuracy, so it's something you have to go out of your way to achieve.  At level thirty five when it unlocks, I have no desire to start a fight with a single-target attack, so I've only used it as a blast power.  As a quick power without the ToHit bonus, it's a really endurance intensive hard-hitting single-target blast with knockback.  I think you can do some fun things with IO sets specifically for snipes.

Power Burst - just a heavy hitting blast with knockback.  It benefits from the Energy Focus mechanic, so its damage is very nice.

• Like 1

Dimension Shift was changed shortly before shutdown. It's now a toggle and you can enter the phased area and interact with the enemies. Still situational, but much improved. Here's the new power description:

Location-targeted AoE toggle. This power folds space in an area, immobilizing and phasing all targets within the sphere. Enemies who enter the area become immobilized and phased for the duration of the effect. Allies who enter the sphere's area of effect will enter the phase as well, allowing them to combat phased enemies. Detoggling this power ends the effect, bringing the phased creatures back into the physical world. Maintaining this dimensional distortion is taxing on the user, and cannot be done for more than 20 seconds.

Singularity rotates Crush, Lift and Gravity Distortion and constantly runs Repel. (Because its intangible, you can stand inside its repel field.) Can't be healed but has 90% resist to psi and toxic and 50% resists to everything else as well as status protection.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

On 9/3/2019 at 8:58 PM, Silvanthis said:

Anyone have an IO build for this? Sounds like a really fun build!

Unfortunately, I would need to do a lot more experimenting with IOs before I'd be comfortable giving build advice beyond "recharge is good."  I also looked through this forum and didn't see a build.  I'm really sorry.

I have a Grav/Energy at 50+3 and am leveling another right now.

Gravity isn't the best Dominator set but I like Energy with it as the KB/disorients give you a few more control options. I also like taking the Primal pool and slotting Energy Torrent and Explosive Blast with KB>KD IOs to keep groups off their feet.

• Crush and Lift both serve niche purposes so the choice is really yours. Lift is good for juggling, Crush is nice on enemies that are control-resistant. Both are also effective with minimal, if any, slotting.
  • Gravity Distortion is obviously a must-have.
  • Propel is very strong thanks to Impact, but I don't like it and prefer to take the heavy-hitter ST attacks from Energy. YMMV.
  • Crushing Field has its uses. I'm using it on my current main with multiple damage procs. Also good to follow up on Wormhole.
  • Dimension Shift IMO is invaluable. You won't use it every fight, but it's a one-slot-wonder effective panic button. 
  • Gravity Distortion Field needs to be 6-slotted to be useful but it's a must-have in Grav/ IMO due to your lack of other AOE controls.
  • Wormhole is the best power in the set. Slot for Stun. I take Hover and use Wormhole from above so the scattering isn't as bad.
  • Singularity is strong for stacking holds and repelling mobs off of you. Not a fan of pet powers but it gets the job done. I would consider not taking this power if I really wanted the slots elsewhere.

Energy has strong ranged and melee attack chains but I don't recommend taking both. I prefer to be in melee range, especially after the changes to Total Focus/Whirling Hands, but either way is effective.

• Power Bolt is useful because it takes the Force Feedback +recharge proc. Perma-Hasten is difficult on Grav/Energy unless you heavily sacrifice your defenses, so the proc is a huge help.
  • Bone Smasher...not much to say here. Take it if you like to melee. Same goes for Total Focus.
  • Power Push is actually fantastic, especially with Hover. I wasn't able to fit it on my current build but the damage is decent and it's quick to fire. Great for forcing a mob off of you or juggling while you stack holds.
  • Power Blast is only useful if you don't take Lift and Propel, and even then you'll still have so many attacks that it won't see much use.
  • Power Boost is a must. Power Boosted Wormhole is the best part of Grav/Energy for me.
  • Whirling Hands is a must if only because you have so few other options for AOE. The Stored Energy mechanic made it really, really strong though, at last.
  • I take Power Burst only because I don't like Propel, but it's definitely optional.

For power pools, Hasten and IMO Hover are absolutely necessary. Hover because it allows better Wormhole placement and more control over your KB effects. You can also Dimension Shift yourself in the air if enemies start throwing their ranged attacks at you. I wouldn't take Fighting unless you have the slots to spare (I don't); Dominators don't rely on def/res as much as some other classes. I take the Stealth pool for the LotG mules and to add some utility to my character. I haven't experimented much with APPs but Psionic is lacking; Link Minds is a great buff, but World of Confusion is marginally useful and Psionic Tornado does crap damage. I like Primal for the double KD AOEs and an extra melee attack. 

TLDR the must-have powers are:

• Gravity Distortion
  • Dimension Shift
  • Gravity Distortion Field
  • Wormhole
  • Power Boost
  • Whirling Hands
  • Hasten
  • Hover
  • EITHER Bone Smasher/Total Focus or Power Push/Power Burst/Propel

Unnecessary:

• Crush or Lift
  • Crushing Field, unless you really like it
  • Power Blast (objectively better options in both sets)
  • Like 1

My build is a constant WIP but here's what I have at the moment. Thinking about optimizing for more melee defense as I went the melee attack route on this toon.

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Mutation Dominator
Primary Power Set: Gravity Control
Secondary Power Set: Energy Assault
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Teleportation
Ancillary Pool: Primal Forces Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Crush -- PcnoftheT-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(A)
Level 1: Power Bolt -- Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(17), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(50), FrcFdb-Rechg%(50)
Level 2: Gravity Distortion -- AscoftheD-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), AscoftheD-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(5), AscoftheD-EndRdx/Rchg(5), AscoftheD-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(7), AscoftheD-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(15), AscoftheD-Rchg/+Dmg%(17)
Level 4: Bone Smasher -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(A), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx(7), CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg(9), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11)
Level 6: Grant Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 8: Hover -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(11)
Level 10: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(13)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(13), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 14: Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Power Boost -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Gravity Distortion Field -- UnbCns-Hold(A), UnbCns-Hold/Rchg(19), UnbCns-Acc/Hold/Rchg(19), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(21), UnbCns-EndRdx/Hold(21)
Level 20: Whirling Hands -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(23), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(23), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), Obl-%Dam(27)
Level 22: Crushing Field -- TraoftheH-Dam%(A), ImpSwf-Dam%(43), PstBls-Dam%(43), ImpSwf-Acc/EndRdx(46)
Level 24: Phase Shift -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 26: Wormhole -- Stp-Acc/Rchg(A), Stp-EndRdx/Stun(27), Stp-Acc/EndRdx(29), Stp-Stun/Rng(29), Stp-Acc/Stun/Rchg(31), Stp-KB%(31)
Level 28: Total Focus -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(31), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(33), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Mk'Bit-Dam%(34)
Level 30: Recall Friend -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Singularity -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(34), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(34), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(36), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(36)
Level 35: Energy Transfer -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(37), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(37), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), Mk'Bit-Dam%(39)
Level 38: Power Burst -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Dcm-Build%(40)
Level 41: Energy Torrent -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(42), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(42), PstBls-Dam%(42), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43)
Level 44: Explosive Blast -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(45), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(45), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), PstBls-Dam%(46), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(46)
Level 47: Temp Invulnerability -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(48), Ags-ResDam(48), UnbGrd-Max HP%(48), GldArm-3defTpProc(50)
Level 49: Dimension Shift -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(3), EndMod-I(3)
------------

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later

No one seems to mention that Propel is an AoE knock back power. Seems like a great spot for a FF +rech proc. 

The great thing about dimension shift is its a one slot wonder power. It has its niche users and requires no slots. 

One aspect of the combo is that, with impact damage and the energy charge, you're full up on single target powers so you can skip powers easily depending on what you want to emphasize (control or damage or cosmetics). 

• Like 1