Controller Holds (at least Illusion Control/) not self-stacking

TalKaline

A friend (@ViciousCabaret) of mine (@Michelle Angelmark) was the only controller on a Manticore Task Force, and found that they were unable to hold Paragon Protector bosses, even when stacking multiple casts of [Blind] on them. They asked me to check with my own Illusion controller if things were working normally, and with [Power Analyzer] I found that casts of the same hold no longer stacked magnitude - the first hold 'wears off' as soon as the second is cast, even if the first one would have lasted for an entire 30 seconds longer if I had just waited (and did last 30 seconds longer when I did wait after holding it on the exact same mob). This renders Controllers, or at least Illusion Controllers using Blind, unable to hold bosses without getting a proc. Is this intended behavior? It seems significant enough that I think it'd be mentioned in a patch.

Edit: Three controllers on Everlasting, local names Patric.AI, Pierrette, and Kakadu, tested this on several bosses. The same power cast by different people does stack magnitude on the same boss, but the same power cast by the same person only resets the duration rather than stacking. Officially, I'm not *opposed* to this change - as someone with a Mind Dominator main on Live, crowd control is ridiculously overpowered in this game - but this seems like a major change that I doubt would be intentionally pushed with no discussion.

Edited by TalKaline
Added more testing

Just to add on a little, Kakadu's (Plant Control) single target hold [Strangler] appeared to stack as normal on the bosses tested (Death Dolls, Bone Daddies, etc. in KR), so at the moment only [Blind] has been demonstrated to show this behavior.

My character, Pierrette (Illusion Control), also tested [Blind] against Sirens and Seedlings of Hamidon in First Ward, and found the same non-stacking behavior on Everlasting, and also on Justin.

Edited by ViciousCabaret
some extra stuff

Confirmed, this is happening to me too. I've been in Cimerora for the past couple nights and was wondering if there was something special about the cimerorans, but it's happening everywhere.

Deceive isn't stacking either. I am no longer able to Deceive anything above LT level even with repeated applications. Prior to the recent patch I could deceive bosses at least (never tried with AVs, but it used to be possible).

Looks like Illusion just seriously took it in the shorts. Without a warning, too.

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2019 at 12:20 PM, Extor Prime said:

Confirmed, this is happening to me too. I've been in Cimerora for the past couple nights and was wondering if there was something special about the cimerorans, but it's happening everywhere.

Deceive isn't stacking either. I am no longer able to Deceive anything above LT level even with repeated applications. Prior to the recent patch I could deceive bosses at least (never tried with AVs, but it used to be possible).

Looks like Illusion just seriously took it in the shorts. Without a warning, too.

That explains so much. I just did a Tin-pex run and couldn't confuse the war walkers like I usually do, couldn't figure out what was going on.

• Like 1

I guess the Tuesday maintenance isn't a patch? I just tried it out when the servers came back up and I'm still getting the same behavior from Blind and Deceive. Are we waiting for the next major patch, or is there going to be a quicker fix? Sorry for being impatient on this.

• Thanks 1

My secret hope is that the bug with the enchancement (specifically the KB->KD reported in another thread) being ignored in the phantasm is somehow covered by this fix as well.  Not being able to stack control is definitely an issue...having your pet knocking things all over hell's half-acre has got me killed more though :).

Definitely appreciate the work the devs put in here though.  Notwithstanding the odd problem/bug, it has been a thrill being able to indulge my love for CoH/CoV.  Awesome work.

~N

Aha! This may explain why I was so frustrated when my lowbie earth/thermal controller could not get a hold to stick on at-level Arachnos bosses in Twinshot’s “Rescue Manticore” mission.  They conned as lieutenants since I was solo.  I wasn’t able to hold a single one I encountered during the entire mission, even when I was stacking holds. Exited the mission to put training accuracies in Fossilize and they did no good whatsoever.  

Edit: I hope the devs check the other control sets besides Illusion for this issue.

Edited by Maya Shakti

4 hours ago, Maya Shakti said:

Aha! This may explain why I was so frustrated when my lowbie earth/thermal controller could not get a hold to stick on at-level Arachnos bosses in Twinshot’s “Rescue Manticore” mission.  They conned as lieutenants since I was solo.  I wasn’t able to hold a single one I encountered during the entire mission, even when I was stacking holds. Exited the mission to put training accuracies in Fossilize and they did no good whatsoever.  

Edit: I hope the devs check the other control sets besides Illusion for this issue.

Some arachnos mobs have hold resistance/protection.

On 9/5/2019 at 10:04 AM, Niss said:

My secret hope is that the bug with the enchancement (specifically the KB->KD reported in another thread) being ignored in the phantasm is somehow covered by this fix as well.  Not being able to stack control is definitely an issue...having your pet knocking things all over hell's half-acre has got me killed more though :).

Definitely appreciate the work the devs put in here though.  Notwithstanding the odd problem/bug, it has been a thrill being able to indulge my love for CoH/CoV.  Awesome work.

~N

If it was only that.  Sounds like NO enhancements are working in phantasm, phantom army, or spectral terror per this post: 

Enhancements not working at all in those pets pretty much makes the whole set of illusion unplayable to me.  Really waiting for this to be fixed.

Edited by Riverdusk