The best of the "old school" scrappers

Jolin

Dark Melee/Super Reflexes is a strong combination,  and one that was available in issue 0. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

• 2 weeks later

I played at launch through about i7 (I think, definitely post CoV).  Two big issues hit early scrappers, the reduction in the total bonus of secondary (defensive) abilities (was originally the same as tankers, not the 75% we have now) and ED.  I had a DM/Invuln scrapper (back when Invincibility rooted you making TP the only viable travel ability) and could easily solo most AV missions (especially the werewolf and the claws scapper AV...don't remember their names).  The other popular (AV soloing) build was Spines/Regen.

I loved my MA/regen scrapper so much.....even at low levels she could out tank the tanks.  Sadly, regen got nerfed to hell and gone and I never managed to get her to 50.  Remade her here and so disappointed...rerolled as MA/WP and its okay.  Scrappers will never regain the glory they once had.  But since I have altitis its all good because I just keep switching toons and play whichever makes me happy!  Lol

Edited by EmmySky
Autocorrect grr

kat/invuln all day.. was my first toon.. and before i13 fire/will was running the streets of rv.. ended all the people who were running med pool.. especially with terrorize going.. after i came back to the game in i15 i only played regens.. and now i have not made a scrapper.. thinking of psi/something though

IRON ASCENSION - ALL HUMAN PB

IRON-WIDOW - WIDOW

IRON BLADE - PSI/NINJA BLASTER

IRON RAIN - WATER/MA BLASTER

You need to define old school i mean back in the day dark armor cof had mag3 fear but hey also had not stacking armor; regen was so powerful they would tank hami bahaha that is a trick question for us old timers

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

Back in 2009 I had a Spine/Regen scrap that could PL on Invincibility no problem (I think that's +4 now??). Has strong enough AoEs to kill off large mobs, and the single target and defense to solo bosses and everything else.

In the really old days Spine/Regen was pretty much the king, it could clear huge maps of +8 mobs (8 levels higher than the scrapper).  Then the Purple patch changed the way level difference worked in what, issue 3?  After that Regen had solid aggro on the Nerf bat and got hit each issue up until I think issue 5 when we got literally nuked by the Global Defense Nerf which lowered defenses on ALL AT's coupled with ED (Which added severe diminishing returns on slotting more than 3 of the same enhancement in a power).  Those two nerfs combined cut survivability by probably 2/3 and reduced damage output by half.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

On 9/1/2019 at 12:17 AM, Werner said:

Yeah, my namesake Katana / Regen was a fun build to play, and could do silly things with the best of them, but it took a LOT of attention. After that I moved on to Dark Melee / Super Reflexes (Sergei), which took very little attention, but also wasn't really any better. And then I went to Katana / Dark Armor (Alexei), and that was my favorite until the game shut down, but damn were defense debuffs my kryptonite. I do remember a thread where I think there was some collaboration on coming up with the best Katana / Regen possible. On paper, it was much better than the Katana / Regen I did all the AV soloing and other Stupid Scrapper Tricks with. Almost good enough to tempt me away from my Katana / Dark Armor. Almost, but not quite. 

Nostalgia kick, I remember collaborating on that thread... sadly, my Kat/Regen never fulfilled that build, due to funding on Live. And, oddly, I haven't felt the need to reroll him here on HC.

On 9/1/2019 at 2:35 PM, MunkiLord said:

I don't like the way he spells "monkey"

On 9/3/2019 at 1:56 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

Think you both misspelled Bill Z Bubba.

Claws/SR is still glorious.

Damage is better on the scrapper, mitigation is better on the brute. As it should be.

Wow, nostalgia kick on this, seeing some names. I need to come into the Scrapper boards more often... Good to see all three of you. Sorry for the delay in noticing.

• Like 3

Death is the best debuff.

3 hours ago, EmmySky said:

What I miss  (with my old MA/regent scrapper) is having Tanks I play with aspire to be me.  I also tend to run scrapperlock on defenders and corruptors.  Nobody aspires to that.

My wife (who I met THROUGH game) has said I play everything (other AT's, driving IRL, personal offenses, life) as a Scrapper.

I think it is a compliment?

I'm taking it as a compliment.

Edit: "It is a comment. I'm glad you're TAKING it as a compliment. But it is just a comment."

Edited by Eran Rist
Commentary insert from said wife.
  • Haha 4

Death is the best debuff.

On 8/31/2019 at 7:52 PM, Hopeling said:

/regen was the original Scrapper-only secondary, and you don't see many people playing it anymore. I know some people think that turning IH into a click power ruined the set, but even after that it offered high performance. IIRC, @Werner's Kat/Regen was soloing AVs quite well for years.

I hate active defenses. I realise that in the years since this game we've had a push towards twitchy e-sports active defense gameplay such as guild wars 2, but I think it's bullshit and am looking forward to the death of this shitty trend. Will it disappear entirely? Not on your nelly, but I believe that an ageing gamerbase will should broaden the perspectives of developers and help them to embrace older players in a way that they've refused to do for too long now.

• Like 2

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

• 2 weeks later