I am a poor AT... No ones wants me :'(

Ardzog

I am a sad AT. No one wants me!

This post mainly concerns the PVP.

Because, in PVP, the performance of the Archetype is more sought after than the exotic and fun side.
However, the subject, in general, also concerns the PVE.

First of all, I would like to say that I am very grateful to people who take time to make these updates, and I respect those choices.

What I particularly like about this game is the variety of powers and archetypes.
But I have often the feeling that changes always go in the same direction :
Improve things that are already working well (from the point of view of combat effectiveness)

Here is some of the latest changes I have in mind, that were quite unnecessary in my opinion :

- Be able to attack under Invisibility ? Why ? Now, 90% players will use this...
is the next step is to make this power inherent ?

- Add more heal for sentinel regen :
Seriously ? wasn't the AT already strong enough compared to the others?
In PVP, we see 80% of regen sentinels, 20% with bio armor.
Even if the figures were wrong before, it was more consistent with other ATs.

- I heard about a possible future boost for the Gun Drone on device blasters.
Ok, devices have been less trendy lately, with the arrival of Tactical Arrow (and the Ubber Nature blasters)
Also, the interest of having some "to hit" on targetting drone was annihilated by the snipe changes.
But devices is still a great choice in comparison to : Fire manipulation, Ice, Electricity...

So, what I'd like ?

Focus next changes on those who are left out.

Make more attractive what no one ever plays, except for a few fringe nutters who have money to spend !

Here is a non-exhaustive list of suggestions I have in mind while i'm writing this.

Perhaps some of them have already been posted and debated, I don't know.

I will not give any numbers, just various ideas to make these ATs more attractive.

- Dark Armor :
I suggest something radical, like :
Dark Embrace immunize the player against -fly/-jump !
Death shroud can't be detoggle by mezz

- Assault Rifle :
increase M30 grenade KB to 18
increase duration of Stun on Beanbag

- Dual pistols  :
increase base damage on single target attacks

- Sonic Resonance :
Increase duration of Sonic Cage
Disruption Field can't be detoggle by mezz

- Traps :
I don't have many ideas for this...
more damage on seeker drones ?

- Ice melee :
Add range (40?) on Freezing touch

- Fiery Melee :
Increase range (40) on Incinerate

- Dual blades :
No idea here... I never dared to test that !

- Peacebringer :
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to color the attacks, but, could you also open epic powers please ?
same choice the sentinels have.

- Dominators :
Domination also increases the mezz duration in PVP
Also, increase duration of all mezz in pvp (except the broken and hated dark grasp of course !)

- Super Reflexes, Invulnerability...
Maybe the hardest thing to do... :

Change/decrease the DR effect ? Defense on a sentinel is a joke for example !

Well, I hope that this topic will open the debate,

and that the next changes will go in that direction !

Edited by Ardzog

4 minutes ago, Icey-Lady said:

In PVP? Not at all. Now in big ass mob pulls? Yeah we lack 😞

17 hours ago, Ardzog said:

This post mainly concerns the PVP.

And big ass mob pulls are the Tankers and Brutes' department.

Edited by Kimuji
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vitruvius said:

you have the regen and bio sent numbers reversed... 80% bio, 20% regen in pvp... 

I did notice that Ice/Regen is the 4th-most-popular level 50 Sentinel build, and Psi/Energy is the most popular level 50 Stalker build. I'd be willing to bet a non-negligible portion of those are PvP characters.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

18 hours ago, macskull said:

I did notice that Ice/Regen is the 4th-most-popular level 50 Sentinel build, and Psi/Energy is the most popular level 50 Stalker build. I'd be willing to bet a non-negligible portion of those are PvP characters.

very likely... just speaking from what i see in pvp

On 9/1/2019 at 10:26 AM, Ardzog said:

Thank you for your valuable contribution 

Allow me to explain, then:

The moment someone suggests changes, self-described as "mainly because of PvP", that will also affect PvE?  I am immediately, completely, and unswervingly opposed to it.

Limit the scope of those changes only to PvP, and I would remain neutral (and disinterested).  But the moment you stick your chocolate in my peanut butter, well ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

2 hours ago, PaxArcana said:

The moment someone suggests changes, self-described as "mainly because of PvP", that will also affect PvE?  I am immediately, completely, and unswervingly opposed to it.

Limit the scope of those changes only to PvP, and I would remain neutral (and disinterested).  But the moment you stick your chocolate in my peanut butter, well ...

I thought your original contribution was valuable. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PaxArcana said:

Agree 100%. No general balance changes should ever be made based on PvP, unless they can be made to only affect PvP.

Because balancing around PvP is how good games die a horrible death through homogenization.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Haijinx said:

I thought your original contribution was valuable. 

Well, yes perhaps.  But it is also fair for an explanation to be expected, so ...

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

This is a topic about Archetyps never played because they are bad.

That also works in pve.

Some players don't care about being performant in pve.

That's why that's more important in pvp.

So now, can we talk about the topic maybe ? . . . 

1 hour ago, Ardzog said:

This is a topic about Archetyps never played because they are bad.

That also works in pve.

Some players don't care about being performant in pve.

That's why that's more important in pvp.

Changes that would work in PvP, will not necessarily also work in PvE ... and vice versa.

PvP balance is an entirely different and separate topic from PvE balance.

Kindly keep your chocolate bar out of my jar of peanut butter, please and thank you.

• Like 1

IRL yes.

The analogy, however, holds (and is a tongue-in-cheek reference to an old series of commercials, in an attempt to keep my tone light-and-nonthreatening).  🙂 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PaxArcana said:

Changes that would work in PvP, will not necessarily also work in PvE ... and vice versa.

PvP balance is an entirely different and separate topic from PvE balance.

Kindly keep your chocolate bar out of my jar of peanut butter, please and thank you.

I agree with the premise "Changes that would work in PvP, will not necessarily also work in PvE ... and vice versa.

But that doesn't mean we can't evaluate a change on a change by change basis - maybe it works well in PvE, maybe it works well in PvP, maybe both, maybe neither...I'd rather appreciate it if someone who is a big PvP poster didn't come along and /jranger every PvE suggestion ever made because it might impact PvP (and this has in fact happened to the PvP'ers - changes made to PvE end up not being fully fleshed out in their PvP impacts...Let's show the same courtesy.

I know you remember some bad experiences from Live, but this isn't Live, it's a new crew, and we survived Live, we can survive this...

Also, chocolate is ONLY good with Peanut Butter, and Peanut Butter goes to new levels with Chocolate...The point of those commercials was that they really do belong together...

• Like 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Justice, again, my problem here is that the OP billed it as primarily for PvP.

If s/he had said "I think some of these have problems, both in PvP and PvE, and I think we could fix those problems by ..." ...?  I would have been less immediately inclined to a negative response.

10 hours ago, justicebeliever said:

Also, chocolate is ONLY good with Peanut Butter,

... and vanilla icecream.  And banana.  And caramel.  And ...

5 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

Justice, again, my problem here is that the OP billed it as primarily for PvP.

And?  What's wrong with making suggestions for mostly one or mostly the other, or equally, or all of one...Let's evaluate them on their merits...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Because all of his suggestions were, really, only for PvP.  Each power, a single suggestion, that seems to clearly be purely PvP-motivated.

Edited by PaxArcana
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

Because all of his suggestions were, really, only for PvP.  Each power, a single suggestion, that seems to clearly be purely PvP-motivated.

And?  I'm not going to stress someone's motivations...If the motivation is bad, but the change is good...I'm down with that...If the motivation is pure, but the change sucks, I'll give a /jranger (with a reason of course)...

For example..how do these cause you stress?

On 9/1/2019 at 2:13 AM, Ardzog said:

- Sonic Resonance :
Increase duration of Sonic Cage
Disruption Field can't be detoggle by mezz

- Dual pistols  :
increase base damage on single target attacks

- Fiery Melee :
Increase range (40) on Incinerate

And the OP, as you mentioned, was pretty clear about his PvP viewpoint, it wasn't like he was being sneaky...