Force Field Defender Duo - An Experiment

Tath99

Hello All,

A friend and I created (some time ago) a Force Fielder Defender duo on Reunion (FF/Dark & FF/Energy).  These were created for fun, but also as an experiment into survivability & durability vs harder content. Just to see what difficulty settings were a challenge and which foes we could overcome.  These creations are now level 50.

Unsurprisingly as a buff set duo the survivability is excellent (helped in no small part by Dark Blast).  However, lacking debuffs, the duo struggles to overcome the greatest of foes -- Arch-Villains.

I therefore need your advice and opinions:-

•  To defeat AV's, what combination of Incarnate Interface powers do you suggest?  We are currently both fitted for Diamagnetic to apply -regen.  Is it overkill to both have the same?
  •  To defeat AV's, will fitting -res proc IO's into AOE's make a noticeable difference?
  •  Are we facing an inevitable 'glass-ceiling' (as this duo) through which we won't be able to punch through?

The duo are a very potent partnership, are a lot of fun to play, fighting and defeating foes far greater than we originally envisaged.  I heartily recommend Defender-Duos to other players, who like to play with family or a friend.

P.S.  In addition to your advice on the above, I would love to hear your thoughts on other Defender duo experiences / recommended powerset combinations.

-- Tath99

Edited by Tath99

Radiation Blast is generally the "Go-to" for debuffs.  The fact that you can drop the -Res proc in pretty much EVERY power (save AIM of course) and it's a BIG double-threat.

If you can bump your Acc high enough to hit reliably, Sonic's another good one.

Beam Rifle has a fairly good mix of places you can drop the -Res proc in too.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

3 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Radiation Blast is generally the "Go-to" for debuffs.  The fact that you can drop the -Res proc in pretty much EVERY power (save AIM of course) and it's a BIG double-threat.

If you can bump your Acc high enough to hit reliably, Sonic's another good one.

Beam Rifle has a fairly good mix of places you can drop the -Res proc in too.

Radiation Blast is definitely not the go-to for debuffs, as Achilles' -res proc doesn't stack with itself even from multiple casters. Beam Rifle is a different story thanks to its -res and -regen, and Sonic is the king of -res debuffs.

Rad blast is nice because of the number of procs you can fit in each power, it's more of a damage set than a debuff set if you go for a full proc build.

53 minutes ago, Auroxis said:

Radiation Blast is definitely not the go-to for debuffs, as Achilles' -res proc doesn't stack with itself even from multiple casters. Beam Rifle is a different story thanks to its -res and -regen, and Sonic is the king of -res debuffs.

Rad blast is nice because of the number of procs you can fit in each power, it's more of a damage set than a debuff set if you go for a full proc build.

Achilles Heel doesn't stack, but it can be sustained.  It's providing -Def and with the Achilles Heel proc, -Res.  In the end, this all works out to more damage inflicted (aka an easier time killing foes, including AVs)

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

-def is a pretty inconsequential debuff. Keeping Achilles' up on a target isn't that difficult of a feat either on other sets, nevermind Sonic which can keep a much higher -res value on a target without relying on the most common -res proc.

Like I said, rad is pretty good for procs. But it's far from being the "go-to for debuffs".

For the questions: 

* 2 sources of diamagnetic won't remotely be overkill for an AV.  It stacks up to 4 times on a target.

* The Annihilation proc will of course increase your damage done.  It will only ever apply once at a time though.

* Well sure, in a fight with lvl 57 (54+3) Mot, I'd bet on him, but for most AVs, certainly even cons, you should be fine.

As to rad blast vs sonic, I'm not seeing how 1 proc that may stick a 20% res debuff is providing more damage than a blast set that stacks 20% with each attack (with 2 exceptions).  The -def is irrelevant, most high level builds have 95% to-hit against purples and if they don't because of an AV's DEF, then -def won't be much help, since that's so severely resisted.

I wouldn't call -Defense irrelevant, context matters I think. For a huge chunk of content where you are leveling up, -defense is one of the best debuffs available because most team mates can be trusted to be terrible at slotting. It makes everything hit more often.

Later on, it is somewhat less relevant but only somewhat. I feel like if we had a tool to reveal other people's (generally not great) builds, -Defense would get much more respect.

As the other half of that DUO, I can testify to the fun we've had and it's exceeded our expectations.  I/we can now +4 x8 (with Bosses) a Council map with Vamps, Wolves and Galaxies trying to debuff me.

So far, Incarnates...we have:  (They weren't quite at that level when we first fought Rom'...)

Barrier Tier 3.  (We both have Barrier.)

Diam' Tier 3.  (Both have that.)

Hybrid: Support Tier 2  (Both have that.)

Alpha: Agility Tier 3.  (Both have that.)

Ion: Tier 2. (Tath99 has Tier Void Energy.)

Lore: Tier 3 (Tath99 has Tier 4 pets...)

We tried the ITF on +2 (got as far as the last two AVs.)  It was an eye opener to beat the Roman soldiers  on +2!  It showed our potency.  We tried it on +0 and got as far as Rom, having beaten Requiem!  A landmark AV for the duo.

We first took a swing at Rom' on the ITF before we'd we'd really got into diamagnetic.  We were getting hit a bit and running low on end.  Things have improved since then, end wise and inc' wise with  ...being able to -to hit and -regen whilst on even con.  I'm def' getting hit less and my end is no issue.  If we get the Tier 4 Diam' Inc' I fancy our chances to have another wing at him.  We're nearly at a place where we can try again to DUO the ITF.  

I've just completed a set build (I was on SOs/standard IOs when we fought Rom') with 3 sets of purples, end is no longer an issue and my defence is much higher (as is the duo's in total.)  Capped on range def as well as Energy and Neg En'.  And my res' compensate for the weaker Melee and AOE def'.  We both now have -res - to hit and -regen.  Got x3 -res IOs in my build.  And four pets between us.  (My disrupter Clockwork puts a nasty melt mat down...)

We beat Requiem.  🙂  Just Rom' kept moving around.   So we stopped and called it a stalemate.  (I was that annoyed we didn't beat him I rolled a Rad/Sonic Defender...who is currently L33.  I've used this debuff anchors on a couple of big monster battles already.)

So, yes.  Any other advice re: incarnates to debuff/-res/melt Rom' over time would be handy.  We could try it on -1 diff' and if we win up it to +0.

Steam of consciousness over.

Thoughts, advice welcome.  (i.e..  Any Incarnates better suited to the task of taking down big Rom'?)

Golden Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

On 9/2/2019 at 9:26 PM, Hedgefund said:

For the questions: 

* 2 sources of diamagnetic won't remotely be overkill for an AV.  It stacks up to 4 times on a target.

* The Annihilation proc will of course increase your damage done.  It will only ever apply once at a time though.

* Well sure, in a fight with lvl 57 (54+3) Mot, I'd bet on him, but for most AVs, certainly even cons, you should be fine.

As to rad blast vs sonic, I'm not seeing how 1 proc that may stick a 20% res debuff is providing more damage than a blast set that stacks 20% with each attack (with 2 exceptions).  The -def is irrelevant, most high level builds have 95% to-hit against purples and if they don't because of an AV's DEF, then -def won't be much help, since that's so severely resisted.

Ok.  Noted.  I'm all for overkill, myself.  A stack of 4 times on Big Rom would be nice.  We have the Anni Proc each.  In a couple of attacks.

We'll try Rom on even con.  We did last time.  But we didn't have Diam' at Tier 3 then or Tier 3/4 pets.  My disrupter pet has a nasty melt mat.

Maybe it is time to have another pop at Big Rom.

Golden Azrael.

PS.  To my duo partner?

Check out the incarnates on the AV killer thread....  Maybe a Rad/Sonic defender has a thing or two to teach....?  🙂

Edited by Golden Azrael

An interesting duo I think would be two Nature Defenders with high recharge.  Stacking Overgrowth, Wild Bastion and Wild Growth. You could slightly offset their casts so they overlap to catch any down time from the other Defender, but most of the time they would be stacked.    I just finished my /Nature Mastermind,  I'm now in the process of researching builds for Nature defenders.  

Last night we were taking on +4 x8 Arachnos (yes, with Bosses.)

If we drew another mob...eventually the debuffs (the one area of my build which is weak....no debuff resistance..) would eventually take the sting out of us and slow down our heavy hitting attacks...that coupled with Psi attacks.

We got quite far into the Morality map before calling it a night.

But a moral victory.  We got to the square at the end having cleared a path. 😄

I have a Rad/Sonic.  I wonder if a Dark/Rad would be a cool duo with it...

Golden Azrael.

PS.  We're currently rocking at +4 x8 or +3 x6 (which seems a sweet spot for time vs reward...)  Having loads of fun smashing Nemesis.  At least a million influence a mission if not 1.5 - 2.

Edited by Golden Azrael