Drain Psyche

Ukase

I've got a mind/psi dom that I've slowly been leveling up for a bit. It's not a bad build, I'm sure it could be better. I'm hoping for perma Dom, and am confident I'll get there. What I'm not confident in are some of the powers these two sets have. 
Drain Psyche... I had this power on a blaster and it worked very much like a heal...but with this Dom..it boosts regen and recovery, what it says it does...but aside from that, it seems like I've got it as a set mule, rather than something useful. Regen is fantastic for farmers or for taunters in the goo in the hive - but with the low hp of a dom, regen is fairly irrelevant. And with perma-Dom, recovery from DrainPsyche seems useless as well. 

So..I must be missing something. I do have it six slotted, with Theft of Essence. I try to use it when going into fair sized mobs. Should I just get rid of this power? Doesn't seem to do much for me. 

I just 5-slot it with Doctored Wounds for the recharge bonus and put a 50+5 Accuracy IO in the last slot. I do think it’s worth keeping, since even with perma-Dom you can run down your blue bar between Dom casts. It also counteracts -Recovery effects, which are the real endurance killer, and the -Regen is useful on AVs, especially since it gets enhanced by healing enhancement.

I would definitely keep it if I were you, but I do feel the power is a bit overvalued in general. Don't get me wrong, the regen is nice, but even at the cap regen alone it won't make a Dom(or even Blaster) at the same level of toughness as Scrappers, let alone Brutes or Tanks. But when combined with other various forms of mitigation it is still quite powerful. I just wouldn't rely on it as the primary way to stay alive. 

The extra recovery could potentially open up some slotting options so you don't have to focus as much on end reduction.

I also second everything Vanden said.

Slot it for Healing, Recharge, and Accuracy. Ignore Endurance/Recovery. Altho when it comes time to IO it, it may be helpful to dip into an Endurance set to grab an Accuracy/Recharge IO.

You may want to forgo set bonuses altogether for this power in favor of frankenslotting, since the specific combo of Accuracy/Healing/Recharge is hard to max out with a set.

Drain Psyche also lowers Arch Villain regen by a huge amount if I recall correctly.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

Drain psyche is about tanking -regen not healing one's self. I slot it for endo recovery with an eye towards rch set bonus.

Mind/Psi is my specialty you can get low on endo even with Domination popping every 60-odd seconds (not the kind of low where you'll run out/detoggle but still). Running 7ish toggles with perma hasten attacks can do that hehe.

But yeah it's a -regen vs target tool, not a healing tool far as I am concerned

-Number-Six (Torchbearer) THE Mind/Psi Dominator

• Like 3