Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chuckers

Question about IMPACT!

Recommended Posts

I have a grav/dark controller and I am seeing "IMPACT!" flash above enemies heads when I damage them. I do not remember seeing this before and I have questions.

It seems to only happen when the enemies is both held AND immobilized, is that a correct assumption?

Is IMPACT! specific to Grav controllers? I don't remember seeing it on my ILL/Kin, but I haven't actually looked for it. 

 

Is this something new to Homecoming or was it in Live also? 

 

Thanks in advance 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Impact is a feature of Gravity Control added late in the game's life cycle. It was added because Gravity was intended to trade control ability for blast-like powers, but its damage was too poor to justify the tradeoff.

 

I don't have the game in front of me right now, but I believe Impact is triggered by enemies being affected by the single target hold.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the I22 patch notes:

Impact! introduced: Enemies attacked with Lift or Propel will have bonus damage applied if the enemy has been recently held by Gravity Distortion (regardless of who cast Gravity Distortion).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s made soloing grav controllers a lot easier.


[NPC] Outcast Torch: I got the latest and the best.
[NPC] Outcast Torch: I want to buy a lot. A LOT. Think you can get it?
[NPC] Outcast Torch: Again! Do it again, man!

 

They put SUPERHEROES in my trading game?!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Uun said:

From the I22 patch notes:

Impact! introduced: Enemies attacked with Lift or Propel will have bonus damage applied if the enemy has been recently held by Gravity Distortion (regardless of who cast Gravity Distortion).

Do you know if this is supposed to be for BOTH Distortion powers? It works on the single target Gravity Distortion. But last night I got Gravity Distortion Field (aoe hold) and when I propel-ed a statue at one of the held targets, I didn't get an Impact! bonus. I want to report this as a bug if it truly is one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chuckers said:

Do you know if this is supposed to be for BOTH Distortion powers? It works on the single target Gravity Distortion. But last night I got Gravity Distortion Field (aoe hold) and when I propel-ed a statue at one of the held targets, I didn't get an Impact! bonus. I want to report this as a bug if it truly is one.

 

I would think so, but it's possible they missed GDF when they made the change. I use GDF so rarely, I've never paid attention.

 

Does it work if Singularity applies GD and you Lift or Propel? (I assume Singularity gets no Impact bonus from its Lift.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Uun said:

I would think so, but it's possible they missed GDF when they made the change. I use GDF so rarely, I've never paid attention.

 

Does it work if Singularity applies GD and you Lift or Propel? (I assume Singularity gets no Impact bonus from its Lift.)

 

When I get my sing, I'll find out.. it says no matter who casts it... Although the sing isn't actually a who.. more of a what...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Chuckers said:

 

When I get my sing, I'll find out.. it says no matter who casts it... Although the sing isn't actually a who.. more of a what...

 

GDF hasn't ever counted for impact and sing using its hold does count.  Also singularity does get the impact bonus.

 

edit see the second edit in my post below.

Edited by Obsidian_Farmer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Obsidian_Farmer said:

GDF hasn't ever counted for impact and sing using its hold does count.  Also singularity does get the impact bonus.

Thanks.. I find it interesting the GDF doesn't work when it is the same hold applied multiple times. Maybe it should? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Chuckers said:

Thanks.. I find it interesting the GDF doesn't work when it is the same hold applied multiple times. Maybe it should? 

I always thought it should since thematically it's supposed to be the same hold just "pushed" to a higher level, like up-casting a spell in D&D 5e.

 

The situation I'm curious about and haven't had the chance to test yet is whether or not Gravitational Anchor's proc counts since it's just the Grav Distortion hold.  I'm going to check that out in a bit when I get the chance.

 

edit: Gravitational Anchro's proc does not count.

 

edit 2: During testing this morning from what i've just seen it appears I was wrong about singularity.   While just letting Singularity do its thing and not interacting at all I'm not seeing any IMPACT text popping up and I'm not seeing bonus numbers.  Holding a target with Grav. Distortion and letting singy do its thing also doesn't produce any new numbers or the IMPACT text.  That said I have definitely seen situations where IMPACT pops up three times back to back to back on a target when I'm casting Lift and Propel and singy casts its own lift.  Maybe there's a bug or something like all the craziness that's going on with Illusion right now and stuff just isn't working as intended or maybe my previous observations were just wrong. I don't know at the moment.

Edited by Obsidian_Farmer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Obsidian_Farmer said:

I always thought it should since thematically it's supposed to be the same hold just "pushed" to a higher level, like up-casting a spell in D&D 5e.

 

The situation I'm curious about and haven't had the chance to test yet is whether or not Gravitational Anchor's proc counts since it's just the Grav Distortion hold.  I'm going to check that out in a bit when I get the chance.

 

edit: Gravitational Anchro's proc does not count.

 

edit 2: During testing this morning from what i've just seen it appears I was wrong about singularity.   While just letting Singularity do its thing and not interacting at all I'm not seeing any IMPACT text popping up and I'm not seeing bonus numbers.  Holding a target with Grav. Distortion and letting singy do its thing also doesn't produce any new numbers or the IMPACT text.  That said I have definitely seen situations where IMPACT pops up three times back to back to back on a target when I'm casting Lift and Propel and singy casts its own lift.  Maybe there's a bug or something like all the craziness that's going on with Illusion right now and stuff just isn't working as intended or maybe my previous observations were just wrong. I don't know at the moment.

 

Thank you for testing 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rolled a grav/sonic controller today just to test out this impact. It's 32 now, and might end up being lvl 50 tomorrow depending on how much time I play after football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

I rolled a grav/sonic controller today just to test out this impact. It's 32 now, and might end up being lvl 50 tomorrow depending on how much time I play after football.

Wow! You level FAST!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not hard to level when you're on a "vacation" you had to take otherwise the vacation time was going to expire and didn't go anywhere.

 

The character is lvl 50 and about 85% IO'd, it's a pretty fun combo running in like a tank in freedom phalanx tfs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2019 at 4:10 PM, Uun said:

From the I22 patch notes:

Impact! introduced: Enemies attacked with Lift or Propel will have bonus damage applied if the enemy has been recently held by Gravity Distortion (regardless of who cast Gravity Distortion).

This is an interesting note because I never receive Impact damage when my Singularity is the one that casted the Hold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Nayeh said:

This is an interesting note because I never receive Impact damage when my Singularity is the one that casted the Hold.

It's not working. I submitted this as a bug.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the 10/1 patch notes on Beta:

 

Gravity Control > Singularity should now apply and take advantage of the Impact mechanic.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to thank you guys for catching this bug.

 

I'm not surprised it happened - Singy uses a different version of the controller powers. They do double the damage of a controller version, but don't benefit from containment. 


See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...