A Question from The Homecoming Team

Jimmy

A more open approach to development and contribution.  We're on the precipice of a new potential leader in gaming history by being a community-governed MMO, rather than being a product under the control of a publisher who is two to three degrees separated from the actual impact of the content and experience, but was still calling the ultimate shots.

To see a City of Heroes where we actively engage in the development, and aren't held back by some intellectual property owner with no attachment getting to pull the plug from whimsy or boredom, or worse; some checkbox in a fiscal growth spreadsheet.

For any and all ventures to be legitimate, networked, and sharing communal resources to offer players and developers the opportunities they need to pursue what's ultimately best for the longevity of anything:  Diversity.  And with that, the options for personal customization and agency which originally marked City of Heroes as the best of something which no one knew they needed until they found it, and/or lost it.

Build on what we have.  Strive for greatness in the form of demonstrating to all the other game producers out there:  This is City of Heroes, and this is what we do right; by doing it WITH the community!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Define "legitimate and licensed"?

Are we talking about Homecoming as a business? Because I'm not sure how to feel about that. I'm not sure it would work in this day and age. For starters, the graphic engine would need a major overhaul (as in, skeletons with enough points to allow layers, and perhaps fingers) and that kind of endeavor always takes several years by itself unless you have an army of code monkeys working day in and day out specifically on that (like Blizzard did with WoW, Anarchy Online tried to do it the "soft way" and they never finished theirs).

Also, you'd need to continue the metaplot roadmap which would require a considerable work of production (Battalion, the Dimensionless, and the True Rikti) while also remembering not neglecting the existing setting elements (as Paragon Studios did during the Praetorian episode, which caused as consequence the "praetorian fatigue"). So you'd also have to add to your production team a full team of writers AND a creative chief coordinating the whole thing not unlike Disney did with the MCU (between parenthesis, aspiring writer here, hint hint). Also, how many among your people know the language Paragon Studios used to make the cut scenes we saw in the late states of the game?

In addition, you'd need to commit to not neglect (and continued development of) the current resources that makes this game unique (namely, Architect Entertaiment and the base editor). Cryptic removed the Foundry from their games and we all know how well they're doing (if they stay in business two more years that will be too many).

Also... both Valiance Online and City of Titans are still a thing to come, which is the main reason why I'm not sure going full business would be the right thing to do.

In any case, I hope and trust you'll make the right choice in the end (whichever that may be).

AE ARCS:

Most Dangerous Game (ongoing): 16058, 16059, 16060, 4363, 15230, 22386, 23645 * The God Machine (finished): 26365 * Family Reunion (finished): 18920 * Remnants (finished): 5405, 5408, 5411, 5597 * Ball and Chain (finished): 33690 * The Scroll of the Spirit Dragon (finished): 37070 * Prime Real Estate (finished):  43979 * Lord of War (finished):  49034 * Euthanatos (ongoing): 41945, 54307, 54312, 50727

2 minutes ago, WhiteNightingale said:

Define "legitimate and licensed"?

Right now, NCSoft actually holds the rights to 'City of Heroes' and Homecoming has no official recognition by them, nor do they have the right to run these servers from a legal point of view.  Gaining these things would give Homecoming that legitimacy and quash any fears of the devs here receiving a cease & desist order or threat of legal action...

Face and hair options.

More integration of "yellow-side."

Allow incarnates to be disabled for former end-game content (like Hamidon raids--where incarnates can now just rush the mitos and take it down in minutes).

I would pay-to-play... FTP seemed to me to be the beginning of the end of LIVE.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

But the threat of the plug being pulled would then return in the form of how it ultimately sunset the Live servers.

More than anything; having City of Heroes OUT of NCSoft's hands, and in the hands of an open source model would alleviate that fear.

Well, the code is "out there", so others can certainly setup their own servers if they wanted to.  That doesn't prevent NCSoft from issuing a C&D order, if they're found out, though.  I certainly share your concern over NCSoft being involved in CoH once again, which is probably why the devs are taking their time and making sure to cross their t's & dot their i's...

Besides the new content which can be mission or tf or whatever ''new'' I would love to see the following to get update this way : 

1. Make architect Missions more customizable.(Like base building creating maps and also adding scenarios with cutscenes like on some most tasforces whne the bosses are talking)

2. More stuff on base building items(Besides the items which can implented in would love to see ''music box'' something that u can drop it in certain area and play a music u wanna make it to play on that area.Also make its region custumized so it suits whole region and can hear music where u desire.Entering supergroup base from coalition with portals also from your base

3.Enable PVP with the MMR and the stats and Rankings all enabled

Well it doesnt come up anything else now to me to say but it seems that in overall would love to see some things to get updated than get new content yet in missions or taskforces.

5 minutes ago, biostem said:

Gaining these things would give Homecoming that legitimacy and quash any fears of the devs here receiving a cease & desist order or threat of legal action...

I'm not sure the talks with NC are a good idea to begin with. They can still feign ignorance as long as neither party makes waves, but knocking at their door like this might just be the team turning themselves in. We're still talking about the pettiest publisher in the industry, I don't think the team would get a license (let alone the IP) with anything short of handing them the Garriots' head on a platter.

AE ARCS:

Most Dangerous Game (ongoing): 16058, 16059, 16060, 4363, 15230, 22386, 23645 * The God Machine (finished): 26365 * Family Reunion (finished): 18920 * Remnants (finished): 5405, 5408, 5411, 5597 * Ball and Chain (finished): 33690 * The Scroll of the Spirit Dragon (finished): 37070 * Prime Real Estate (finished):  43979 * Lord of War (finished):  49034 * Euthanatos (ongoing): 41945, 54307, 54312, 50727

Indeed, biostem.  I do take solace in knowing that the game can never die again the way it once had, but I would still like to see the best possible outcome arrive.  I know my hopes are probably overreaching by a large margin, but there's still hope.

And really, the best possible outcome, in my mind, is a City of Heroes that is to MMOing what the Cthulhu Mythos are to writing.  Yes, the original propagator was certainly not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but he managed to create something lasting AND have the foresight to share authorship rather than horde it away.   I know there will be people who immediately baulk at the idea of zero centralized authority in authorship, but I truly believe that will yield the longest-living and healthiest City of Heroes experiences for years and years to come.

• Like 1

I fully expect complete legitimacy eventually, as I'm sure that's what the talks are leading toward. I'd like to see the leeway to improve and develop more new things, and be "sanctioned" doing so. A hybrid model of "sub/purchase" (maybe even a "lifetime" similar to STO/CO) as well as microtransactions for "non P2W" type items, cosmetics, QoL/nice to haves is probably a good way to go, especially if/when the game is allowed to make money. Ideally it would remain "free to play" in that you'd never HAVE to pay anything to play (but COULD if you wanted either through donation or some sort of "sub") and nice-to-haves/costume slots/cosmetics could be microtrans, but definately no micro that makes someone more powerful overtly than anyone else.

That's my take, and I would expect that, if a "legitimate license" were granted. 

Edit: Graphics were overhauled in 2011, it's unneeded IMO except for some modernizing of the code and API's.

Edited by Peerless Girl

I would love to see new powersets. Perhaps a "magical" powerset and the water and air sets (control etc)

Would also like to see more mystical vehicles etc.. A flying boom would rock!

Pretty much more costume pieces (headbands from masks added to hair models etc,,)

New content, across the boards.  Missions/features in missions, upgraded graphics, maybe voice acting.  New powers, maybe gear of some sort/more combat or utility powers, or vehicles for travel powers.  More incarnate stuff.

New things to do besides grinding missions and influence.  Working the AH is okay, but kind of boring.  Maybe things like zones that need constant maintenance and help from heroes or they degrade (Faultline, Boomtoom, etc)  Make it feel like you're actually doing something that affects the game.

And if we're shooting the moon, fix PvP.  It's a mess as it is right now.

Also, personally I don't mind paying for subscriptions.  I realize not everyone can, and it's free now, but an optional subscription like they had before was awesome.

+New content

- Keep expanding the Incarnate system with more abilities, raids, level shifts...etc.

- More tasks forces and missions

- More powers and ATs

- Add to the seasonal events

- More enhancements with special effects (Maybe incarnate only enhancements that drop during incarnate content)

+An update to the UI and graphics

- More UI customization

- Update the graphics options. It's been a while and peoples PCs can handle much more now. Further view distance. Higher rez textures and shadows. RTX (lol)

Just really see how far you can push/update these options with today's tech would be awesome to see.

Edited by CrimsonSun
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Druidwolf said:

I would love to see new powersets. Perhaps a "magical" powerset and the water and air sets (control etc)

Would also like to see more mystical vehicles etc.. A flying boom would rock!

Pretty much more costume pieces (headbands from masks added to hair models etc,,)

Frankly, I think many character/powerset concepts could be realized if they proliferated more animation choices to more powersets.  You can already color each of your powers differently, so if you wanted to simulate a magic missile, then a fireball, then a lightning bolt, you can almost accomplish that.  The problem exists if you want to try and go in the opposite direction;  You can't remove the runes or castign gesture from some sorcery powers, and you can't remove the tricorder gadget from aid other/aid self.  I never liked how Champions Online implemented vehicles, so I hope that any instances here are either purely cosmetic, or entire powersets centered around a vehicle/powersuit, (and fully customizable to boot).  More costume options are always welcome!

• Like 1

There has to be something better than watching the Looking For Group chat channel and waiting for someone to start a task force.  I don't want to start one, I want to join one.  This game's primary idea is group play.   I'd like it to be something similar to World of Warcraft's group finder.  Once you get 8 people locked in, you start automatically.  No prompts, no archetype requirements.  You just start playing as a team.  One of the main things I hated about WOW group play is that you had to do everything in a very linear fashion.  Specific roles for each player, and if you step out of line, you ruin it for everyone, and they endlessly bash you.  City of Heroes has none of that.  Do what you want when you want.  Defender that wants to melee fight and pretend to be a tank with 25 purples, go right ahead! 

If all you're doing is solo play at -1 level x0 size, you might reach L50 in about 200 hours of game time.  Group play at 4x8, no time at all, assuming you've got the right mix of players.

34 minutes ago, tenchymuyo2 said:

I don't want to start one, I want to join one.

So you're not willing to step up, then?  I'm sorry, but it just bugs me that the solution is right there in your hand, but you don't want to use it... Start your own team and get those TFs going, if you want to do them so badly...

OK I've had a quick scan through this, and apologies if it's on here already, but what I want in two words:

Voice acting.

This game's characters are much beloved by those that have played over the years, but it's always seemed a little sad to me that they're all silent.

I'm aware that v.a.'ing all the spoken dialogue is a big ask, but it's not as expensive as some might think if you inquire with some of the big sound studio's.

I remember (once upon a time) attempting to start my own game company, and looked into outsourcing both the sound tracks and v.a.'ing.

While I can't remember the voice acting discussion, the soundtracks would've cost about 20k at the time and full orchestral was a bit more (hiring an orchestra for a session or two tends to boost the price).

It's certainly worth looking at, and would definitely breath more life into the game, even if it's probably only an option if its crowd funded.

Food for thought, at least.