A Question from The Homecoming Team

Jimmy

9 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

ANYTHING but this!

I'd be happy to open the idea for discussion. I just find the Rogue Isles in their current incarnation to be a ridiculous conceit. An entire community under constant siege from superhuman villains yet somehow it functions? Lord Recluse rules with an iron fist a chain of islands where droves of super villains are constantly thumbing their nose at him and attacking his forces? It just makes more sense for hero and villain players to inhabit the same zones. Villains can actually fight hero NPCs/NPC groups or openly PVP against hero players as they try to control the underworld or just foment chaos in  a plave where it really makes a difference.

• Like 1

"As Nintova suggests, you can treat a tanker like a melee controller."

- Heraclea

Because I forgot this one in my original post......

The ability to choose any power/attack animation for all powers.

A zone exit like those found in the "Board transit" missions set high in the air above the pedestrian exits of each zone so that flyers can fly from zone to zone.

Edited by JCMcBoo
  • Thanks 1

- Heraclea

There is one change to COH that has always been a lament for me... the aggro cap. I’d like it removed, severely increased, or otherwise altered to make herding a worthwhile skill again.  It was always hard to keep the aggro on you as a tank, and it took skill and frantic adjusting to do so. I really miss it. 

One of the the things I loved about COH were HUGE battles with mobs just piling on you. It was so chaotic, so frantic, and the conglomerate of super powers being discharged equaled any big special effects movie. It was awesome.

After the aggro cap we were limited to about 10-17 mobs... on a team of 8, that’s only 2 mobs per hero. Pffft! Pitiful... boring... and not fun. 

I understand the potential for an unlimited aggro cap to be used for evil, but there are other safeguards that could be put in place to avoid  griefing other than a cap. A cap was just the easiest way to prevent abuse. 

I admit to herding Ing the entire zone of Perez Park back in the day, but I did that not to grief others but because it was a challenge! It was not easy to keep all that aggro on you. And it was an amazing feat when accomplished. I only did it once. Why? Because it was just to see if I could. It was nothing short of a rousing triumph when I accomplished it. 

That aside, I do really miss the huge battles inside missions with a multitude of bad guys just piling on me. It was awesome. Please bring that experience back. 

Along the same lines... kinda... updating the combat system to be a little more modern would be a mind blowing change for the better. After playing modern games like Warframe or Destiny, combat and movement in COH seems to me to be very slow. In order to compete with those other games, I think a mechanics overhaul would make COH a contender against any other. 

And just saying, even if no changes were made, I’m just very grateful to be able to play COH again. :)

Once Homecoming is 'Legit' something that would be awesome is a conversation with Nvidia, AMD, and Intel to hopefully sort out many of the OGL/Default adapter problems have to face getting COH started. Having NCSoft ask would give the request a lot more weight and help mend fences with the community.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

2 hours ago, JCMcBoo said:

I'd be happy to open the idea for discussion. I just find the Rogue Isles in their current incarnation to be a ridiculous conceit. An entire community under constant siege from superhuman villains yet somehow it functions? Lord Recluse rules with an iron fist a chain of islands where droves of super villains are constantly thumbing their nose at him and attacking his forces? It just makes more sense for hero and villain players to inhabit the same zones. Villains can actually fight hero NPCs/NPC groups or openly PVP against hero players as they try to control the underworld or just foment chaos in  a plave where it really makes a difference.

I agree the rogue Isles make no sense, but making PvP zones out of normal zones, especially in a game where PvP is such a marginal thing is just going to drive out a lot of players, I would be gone the second it's announced

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

Not to throw cold water on the idea-fest, but do remember we are talking about a group of volunteers.  Any deal with NCSoft is not going to include them hiring a new development team.  We are not going to get new issues several times a year.  I would be perfectly happy with no server wipe and the occasional new thing, with maybe some revamps of old stuff thrown in here and there. 

• Like 2

Just now, Remidi said:

Not to throw cold water on the idea-fest, but do remember we are talking about a group of volunteers.  Any deal with NCSoft is not going to include them hiring a new development team.  We are not going to get new issues several times a year.  I would be perfectly happy with no server wipe and the occasional new thing, with maybe some revamps of old stuff thrown in here and there. 

We have no way of knowing what it will, and will not include.  I'm sure the reason that it's not a done deal already is because there are things they'd prefer not to voluntarily give up, while NCSoft would prefer they did.  Therein lies the contention, and the need to negotiate.  Until the details of that deal are announced, anything we could offer is nothing more than conjecture that fits the situation. 🙂

What was no more, is REBORN!

16 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

We have no way of knowing what it will, and will not include.  I'm sure the reason that it's not a done deal already is because there are things they'd prefer not to voluntarily give up, while NCSoft would prefer they did.  Therein lies the contention, and the need to negotiate.  Until the details of that deal are announced, anything we could offer is nothing more than conjecture that fits the situation. 🙂

It was my understanding that the negotiations were to make sure NCSoft doesn't start sending lawyers after us.  Our side's job is to prove we're harmless and throw enough at them to convince them to leave us alone.  To think that they are going to somehow resurrect the game on a commercial level is... well, there's a fine line between optimism and delusion.

• Like 3

Just now, Remidi said:

It was my understanding that the negotiations were to make sure NCSoft doesn't start sending lawyers after us.  Our side's job is to prove we're harmless and throw enough at them to convince them to leave us alone.  To think that they are going to somehow resurrect the game on a commercial level is... well, there's a fine line between optimism and delusion.

I believe there will be more to it than just an agreement for them (NCSoft) to forgo any future legal action.  But, again...that's just what I believe because piecing together the history of all of this, that makes sense to me.  But, I don't for a moment believe that I know for sure what will, and won't be a part of any agreement that is struck, if it happens at all.  I certainly hope it does.  I just don't know, and the only ones who do, are not at liberty to say anything about it.

What was no more, is REBORN!

19 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

I'm curious as to what legal legitimacy would get Homecoming - is there more to it than reducing the risk of being sued or facing theft charges? There's not much of an argument that Homecoming is diverting revenue from NCSoft. Part of me wonders if it's best to just stay under the radar and occasionally placate NCSoft so they don't interfere.

I would most like to see these changes:

1. a P2W option that includes a way to pay for a character to be insta-lvl 50 via some donation, time spent in the game or other possibly conditional way besides grinding each alt the traditional way or via farming.  

2. Close down or revamp little used zones.  Boomtown, Perez, Hollows, Creys Folly, etc.   Put them in echo instances from Ouro or make them part of a TF arc.

3. more incarnate content

4. some kind of high level roadmap of changes we can look forward to

I would rather not see an easy-street to level 50, no matter what form it took.

I would like an optional way for a player to turn off ALL auras on their toon from THEIR point of view, but still allow other players to see them.  I say optional because some players enjoy customizing their power effects and would want to be able to appreciate them.

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

17 minutes ago, rehmus said:

I would most like to see these changes:

1. a P2W option that includes a way to pay for a character to be insta-lvl 50 via some donation, time spent in the game or other possibly conditional way besides grinding each alt the traditional way or via farming.  

2. Close down or revamp little used zones.  Boomtown, Perez, Hollows, Creys Folly, etc.   Put them in echo instances from Ouro or make them part of a TF arc.

3. more incarnate content

4. some kind of high level roadmap of changes we can look forward to

1 & 2 hell no, 3 I have no opinion on incarnates stuff notes the loving tears out of me and I rarely bother with it

4 is kinda asking a lot of 2 volunteer Devs...

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

1 hour ago, Remidi said:

True to some extent, but as this thread was posted by a HC admin, I think they have some approach in mind. Otherwise why ask?

The gist of a lot of replies is that people really just want "CoH, but more of it."

26 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

I agree the rogue Isles make no sense, but making PvP zones out of normal zones, especially in a game where PvP is such a marginal thing is just going to drive out a lot of players, I would be gone the second it's announced

The idea is not to switch the PvE zones to PvP,  only to allow folks to PvP in every zone via invitation only. Anyone could challenge anyone else and players could refuse or accept the challenge as they see fit. If PvP is that marginal it won't impact the game.

I see it working thusly...

During PvP the combatants would be moved off to a nearby 30x30 area clear of any interaction points and defined by force fields generated by four PPD robots. The combatants are visible to but cannot effect or be effected by anyone outside of the force fields. Once the fight is over, the PPD robots disperse and it's business as usual. Normal PvP badges, merits or sundry other PvP type accolades apply to those involved in a given fight.

Combat can take place between individuals or teams but teams must be evenly matched numerically before combat will begin.

- Heraclea

27 minutes ago, JCMcBoo said:

The idea is not to switch the PvE zones to PvP,  only to allow folks to PvP in every zone via invitation only. Anyone could challenge anyone else and players could refuse or accept the challenge as they see fit. If PvP is that marginal it won't impact the game.

I see it working thusly...

During PvP the combatants would be moved off to a nearby 30x30 area clear of any interaction points and defined by force fields generated by four PPD robots. The combatants are visible to but cannot effect or be effected by anyone outside of the force fields. Once the fight is over, the PPD robots disperse and it's business as usual. Normal PvP badges, merits or sundry other PvP type accolades apply to those involved in a given fight.

Combat can take place between individuals or teams but teams must be evenly matched numerically before combat will begin.

That's pretty much going to involve rewriting the game to achieve...

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

1 minute ago, boggo2300 said:

That's pretty much going to involve rewriting the game to achieve...

Right, impossible or implausible but still something that I would like to see.

- Heraclea

Please make all toggle powers into a percentage boost to the cost of all other non-toggle powers barring inherents instead of steady endurance drain.

If there's any balance reason to shut off a player's defensive toggles, instead find a way to suppress them with a mechanic

That would be the biggest step toward modernization of all.

Also, more articulated player mesh.

Edited by Brou

• More power synergies, like how fire can be used to ignite Oil Slick Arrow. 
  • Customizable MM minions, including body type (huge, female, scales, etc)
  • Female voice FX for all Sonic blast powers on female characters (even if it's just reusing the existing female yell/scream FX).  
  • Some light hair physics.  Probably shouldnt be as heavy as the cape FX, but so that the different hair styles can move, be pressed down or to the side by costume pieces, affected by powers like other physics-laden objects, etc. 
  • More interactions with the environment. 
    • Destructible objects. 
    • Power:object interaction (fire occasionally catching things, water freezing, etc)
  • The zone maps are wonderfully laid out and detailed.  As awesome as the game is, more events or missions that can make use of the zone maps - especially the more unique corners - would be awesome.  Even if it's just slices of them turned into new instance maps, it means the work that went into creating them would reap benefits aside from just look and feel.  
  • More complex boss/AV fight mechanics.  
  • As many costume pieces as can be generated at a humane rate, and can fit inside the game. 
  • More separation of body parts in the costume creator - style right/left arms separately, right/left gloves separately, right/left shoulders, right/left legs and boots, etc. 
  • Minimal FX theme to more toggles (especially Radiation Armor). 
  • Even more natural placing and activities of mobs - more patrols and/or them actually doing things.  Less of them just standing around in groups... unless of course their reason for being there is guarding something. 
Edited by eustace
  • Like 1