A Question from The Homecoming Team

Jimmy

As an addendum to my post there is a powerset on Thunderspy COX server for defenders that REALLY looks interesting its Called "Holy Light". if it is possible to get that powerset over to Homecoming it would be fascinating

When I am good I am very good, when I am bad I am better

• New interior mission maps. 
  • New interior missions.
  • New textures.
  • Improved texture quality
  • My original not backed up characters would be a dream came true.
  • A financially viable business model that gives stability. While everyone loves free... Most of us would prefer confidence that the server is sustainable and continues to develop.
  • Free helps to bring people to the servers so this will be tricky.
  • Cost effective Marketing of City of Heroes to attract new players.
  • Install procedure that is antivirus friendly to avoid frightening people off

Something I love about the game that I would like to continue is that it is easy to get into the game and just play with a team without a lot of planning on dedicating a huge amount of time to a mission. I often feel lost before I am invited to a group. I like not having to spend lots of time running chores or cleaning the streets. Others will have their own pleasures but I would like this casual accessibility to continue.

Part of what makes the game fun is that you are can join in and have fun and contribute whilst not having the optional config. Min/maxing in other games makes choice an illusion. CoH had always been more inclusive by design.

I really hope these tasks go well and we get a model that is sustainable. Maybe NCSoft could give pointers to what made sustaining the game not attractive to them.

Edited by AWOL

On 9/10/2019 at 5:27 PM, kureneko said:

If we are also going for a wish list.  How about non-human body types!  (ex. Naga, Drider, etc.)

Oh I would like to make a blue cat that does crazy things although I couldn't call it Looshkin. My kids would love that.

Edited by AWOL

1) New content at all levels. I don't want to have to learn a new version of the game (the incarnate system) past level 50 in order to continue to enjoy myself. I'm sure that this was initially set in place as an advancement hobble under the original subscription system to force people to take longer (pay more) to advance.

2) How about allowing multiple costume selections from the same detail list, if the model can handle it.
If there are a Detail 1, Detail 2 and Detail 3 available to the head of the model, allow 3 TOTAL details selectable, regardless of what sublist they're on.

Edited by Captain Valiant

Unreserved Character Names.

Like the way it's done in Champions.

Basicly everyone has a unique global/account name.  In chat this shows up appended to your character name.  (Character_Name@Global)

This way people can have the same character name without having to resort to numbers or special characters.

So Wolf-Guy.84 could just be Wolf Guy@SuperFan84

This has the added benefit of recognizing players playing alts even across servers.

City of Heroes has always been a game that stands out for having a community that is very invested in their character's details, even those that could be considered cosmetic.  Players are attached to their characters more so in CoH than in other MMOs.  They are attached to their character's identity which is more than just their appearance and I think this would be a very important addition to the game.

On 9/10/2019 at 6:20 AM, Shadojak said:

I just want to keep the toons I currently have on Homecoming.

That's all I ask.

Lost all of 'em once, don't wanna go through that again.

Anything and everything else is just gravey.

This is also my top priority.  I'd be willing to pay a monthly fee (probably only $5 or $10 per month) just to keep the lights on with no new content at all.

I'd like to have new content as much as anyone but just keeping the game available takes precedence over everything else a hundred times over.

At any time NCSoft might decide that a CoH2 is viable and decide they don't want some licensed version competing with them or changing the lore.  Then, poof, there goes CoH all over again.

• Thanks 1

I'm way late to this and I'm sure people have already covered these bases, but let my pitch my two pennies in as well, in no particular order.

1)  Power balancing -- There's an excellent rundown in the Mastermind section about why Merc under perform, which has ferreted out it's because the animations they use for their attacks are too slow.  There's tons of info out there like this from players and their years of play that could be used to rebalance under-performing powers.

2) Clean-Up -- Those TFs that send you all over multiple zones from hell and back, acrs that always place the entrance doors at extreme corners of the map.  All sorts of clean-up actually, heck even #1 up there is part of it.  Another one would be something with the Invention system - so many fairly useless IOs in there, like how many people bother to slot Discouraging Words in any capacity?  Maybe remove the levels restrictions on all IOs.

3) Fix AE -- Despite that list of otherwise good ideas back what, page two of this thread? I didn't see this mentioned there.  AE became more broken as a story-telling tool as time went on before shutdown, and the then-devs (Elder Devs?) had given up on it as that's not the sort of "new content" they figured many people wanted to see.  The biggest of these problems I can recall is every spawn on the map calling out their first lines of dialogue the second you step onto their map.  Spoilers!  Well received content could then be somehow integrated into the game more organically it seems to me to avoid that "I'm standing in this one AE room all the time" problem that AE usually suffers.  Might even do away with the AE building and just make it a terminal on a street like some merit vendors.  I quite enjoyed the AE back when it worked for story-telling and think it could be utilized as a good resource to generate new content for the game, but after one quick peek at it after HC started up, I've been avoiding it.

4) More Low Level Content/Stories -- I know everyone is hype for Incarnate stuff and so on, but continuing to add more less-than-50 content will keep leveling fresher and give us fresh reasons to taunt people who PL using farms!  Joking, but you know, it really would be nice to see.

Edited by Clave Dark 5
Editing to include IO idea on #2
  • Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 9/10/2019 at 1:12 PM, JCMcBoo said:

I just find the Rogue Isles in their current incarnation to be a ridiculous conceit. An entire community under constant siege from superhuman villains yet somehow it functions? Lord Recluse rules with an iron fist a chain of islands where droves of super villains are constantly thumbing their nose at him and attacking his forces?

Minus the superheroes/villains, it sounds like any failed nation IRL, which "function", or do at least exist.  So I don't think it's that ridiculous.  Maybe some new content could sell this a bit more, even.  Maybe some hero arcs in RI (and then villain ones blueside too!).

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

If at all possible I'd really like to see the stories that were left unfinished find some closure such as the Signature Story Arcs and the "Coming Storm". New content in general would still be greatly appreciated, though. 🙂

On 9/10/2019 at 8:12 PM, JCMcBoo said:

I'd be happy to open the idea for discussion. I just find the Rogue Isles in their current incarnation to be a ridiculous conceit. An entire community under constant siege from superhuman villains yet somehow it functions? Lord Recluse rules with an iron fist a chain of islands where droves of super villains are constantly thumbing their nose at him and attacking his forces? It just makes more sense for hero and villain players to inhabit the same zones. Villains can actually fight hero NPCs/NPC groups or openly PVP against hero players as they try to control the underworld or just foment chaos in  a plave where it really makes a difference.

You gravely underestimate Lord Recluse's influence and overestimate the superhuman villains that "constantly siege" him. First of all, a lot of the villains in the Isles are losers at the start. You start the game being broken out jail by Arachnos (unless you're a VEAT), which implies you were either weak enough or dumb enough to get caught in the first place. The entire content is about your character proving themselves by working with or against people, it builds you up as this rookie trying to make it big and I think it works personally. It mirrors how as a Hero you don't start off as this big shot who can one punch skyscrapers. Heroes -can- inhabit the villain zones to a lesser extent by playing as a Vigilante so that point isn't all that much, aside from the fact Heroes get a much better alignment power than Vigilantes do. Villains can fight hero NPCs/NPC groups yes that's true, but its usually Longbow with maybe a hero or two along with them. Why? Because its a separate government entirely and Paragon has MANY of its own problems to deal with. The Isles work as a proving ground. I'm not saying its flawless, certainly not, I'd make a few changes here and there. But overall? I enjoy it very much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Questing:

- More lvl 50 tips/SF/TF/Trials with Incarnate powers DISABLED (to me incarnate powers broke the powerlevels too much for me. Even +4 mobs die too fast). 

- New zones blue and res side (I know a lot of people 'hate' the gloomy graphics on red side so perhaps at some 'happier' zones on red side as well ^^)

- Also try to get people more to Red/Pretoria sides by introducing missions in those zone that 'feel blue enough' for the hero players. Heroics should also happen in 'evil zones' and vice versa. And make these missions worth it for making people change alignment for a bit (or create some kind of temporary 'undercover' alignment 😉 )

Market changes:

- For the Market some kind of mechanism that sets a maximum price for items to avoid prices going up to 2B Inf again for a single item like it was on live.

- Ensure that the Market always has all items re-stocked to ensure that nobody can buy up all items and then try to monetize it.

Costumes:

- More costume options....'nuff said

Powers:

- Ensure that all powers can be equally accessed (e.g. don't prevent a melee AT from accessing a certain Melee attack power)

All primary/secondary powersets should be available for each AT

- New powers...of course ^^

- New power pools

- For existing powers it would be nice to be able to customize them further (and make sure that all powers that currently are not customizable yet also get those options) like for example sound effects. There are plenty of discussions from people where they state that they do not want to take a power (or even team up with someone who uses that power) purely due to the sound (example would be the peacebringer sounds or the weird sounds that staff fighting makes).

Sound:

- New background sounds? Or the option to add your own MP3 to a zone/map/quest?

- As mentioned above, more sound options for powers in case you don't 'appreciate' certain power sounds

and I'll stop here before my wish lists grows to pages of text 🙂 

9 minutes ago, Annapuna said:

Market changes:

- For the Market some kind of mechanism that sets a maximum price for items to avoid prices going up to 2B Inf again for a single item like it was on live.

- Ensure that the Market always has all items re-stocked to ensure that nobody can buy up all items and then try to monetize it.

I can promise you without a doubt that they'll never put a set price on items. That totally kills the free market and people would blow there tops over it and with good reason.

They have already killed the salvage market by seeding it and some of the atos.

You can rest assured nothing will ever approach 2 bil because you can obtain any single item at a maximum of 100 reward merits. 100 reward merits = 100 mil.(Visit a reward merit vendor and convert inf into reward merits.) 

Anyone can afford to have purpled out characters at a much faster rate than you'd ever get them live.

9 minutes ago, Captain Valiant said:

The /ah command brings up the Wentworth's window wherever you are.

I think they mean the Wentworths accessible from within base. And it's been explained in the past that it breaks things when you try to load wentworths inside of "instanced" maps.

When you're out in "the zones" of paragon, everyone is accessing the singular Database of Auction House, or the one that was loaded for that zone. BUT if you're in an instanced map, it will try to load all 14 billion bid/for sale items into that instance. Now multiply that by everyone that also logs into their SG base and wants to do the same thing across the entire city. SERVER Go BOOM.

Another place and time, someone said "then just change the code". Sure. Let me just rewrite the entire game from the base-up because that's basically what you'll be doing. And when they responded with "nah ah. I"m a developer and I could do it over the weekend". When they were called out on it "Then do it and submit it to the team." They got all defensive?!? FOR FREEE?!?! My time is valuable! it's not my job to show losers how to do something simple like that! They should just figure it out! I was going to rebuild a 1980 ford pinto this weekend to turn it into a 2015 Porsche 911. because that is also possible to do in a weekend!" <-yeah that guy is living the high life in his mom's basement. All of his delusions must make for great company. <Rant off>

Not saying it's a bad suggestion from a player perspective (not sure how many times it has even been listed just in this thread alone). But once you understand what it entails, it's a bit easier to let that go.

• Thanks 1

Trademarked Name (@Trademark)

Hocus-Pocus, Assault, Joan (of Atlas), Homunculous, Ensorcellress, Seismic, Wolfin, J0LT, The Limit, Transparency, Fastball, Loremaster, Monkey-Boy, Presto Chango, Kazam

Wish list (because I know some of these will not be feasible without a substantial income base):

• Upgraded graphics/game engine
  • New story arcs (I play the game for content, not p/l ‘ing)
  • New costume pieces
  • New power sets (a ‘stretch’ set would be cool!)
  • Complete liberty to mix powers. Ideally, the character would be given a fixed pool of power points to spend based on level. Player purchases whatever powers they want. Minor powers cost little, allowing for more diversity of powers, but at the cost of not being focused. Major powers cost a lot, allowing a character to be really good at one thing, but not much else. The challenge would be finding the balance. 

What I'd like to see, off the top of my head...

More pool powers - I really enjoy how the sorcery set gives flavor to my magic users, and would love to see more like that to help flesh out the other archetypes.   I have a bajillion alts, and the more pool powers available, the better to differentiate them all.

More non-city areas -- Croatoa, Striga, Cimerora, Nerva and even Perez Park do a somewhat decent job, but would like to see more unique environments to explore.  A desert.  Somewhere snowy.  The long-awaited moonbase.   Kalisti Warf looks nice and all, but dang I don't need yet another city zone.   

Updated cars, monorail trains, and citizen models -- These things are everywhere, so having newer, crisper models would benefit the look of every city zone they're in.

More costumes -- in general, this is always good for the game.

Thanks for everything, Homecoming team!!!

D

• Like 1

I'd like to see a little love for the Travel powers. Especially Superspeed and Teleport. Right now, Mystic Flight is a better Teleport than Teleport: you don't have to go into the Flight Pool to get Hover just to keep from getting killed by the Lagmonster.

And Superspeed is the most annoying Travel power for running around town. Getting hung up on the scenery is a royal pain. Maybe a bit more Jump height when you're travelling at speed.

And generally, keep up the good work!

Edited by DoctorDitko

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Perhaps a bit of an out in left field idea here -

The ability to have certain things like costume or base textures crowd sourced.  Provide a template and required file type specs etc. and let players design them.  Post them here for HC crew to review and they can pull what they approve and add it to the game.  Can even make some badges for this - like "Fashionista" or something for having several of your costume templates added to the game.

No idea what is actually involved to add texture maps into the game, however crowdsourcing can spread the "art" load out a bit.

• Like 2