A Question from The Homecoming Team

Jimmy

22 hours ago, MetaVileTerror said:

It was TonyV who promised that Homecoming would /always/ be free, Nericus

TonyV also recently stepped down from Titan Network and the ncsoft negotiations . . . 

Yeah.  I'm worried too.  Some reassurances of that promise from others still engaged in the negotiations would go a long way to placating those fears.

So, the Titan forums note this Tony guy quit. He left Titan and the negotiations. His Titan successor has moved into his roles. So, let's not get all doom and gloom.

I do hope there is an agreement soon. It would be ideal to start pumping out new items and content. Personally, I am still logging on almost daily but without added content, my play time may decrease. I think that would be the case for others and it just makes sense. So, here's to positive vibes for the negotiation team.

Also, I am more than happy to assist the current Dev team and have posted in the appropriate spot :)

Back when I played, and the sole reason why I left, AE was a deal breaker. I don’t have a problem with others using it, and I don’t want be catered to remove it. I really think it makes the cities empty, and I will 100% pay 15 dollars a month to have a separate server where AE is disabled.

My total thought is, please make city of heroes challenging again, and expand the game with different options to choose from, RP servers with RP exclusive content, PvP servers where heroes and villains raid zones excluding atlas/mercy, AE disabled; to list a bunch. This is kind of approach empty’s my wallet, because it’s creative and it offers different ways of playing.

These kind of things are most important to me in any MMO

Edited by ToZ

Here's an ambitious idea. Lets just take Atlas City, replace Atlas with our Lord and savoir Recluse, tint the map evil and call it a day?

18 hours ago, ToZ said:

Back when I played, and the sole reason why I left, AE was a deal breaker. I don’t have a problem with others using it, and I don’t want be catered to remove it. I really think it makes the cities empty, and I will 100% pay 15 dollars a month to have a separate server where AE is disabled.

My total thought is, please make city of heroes challenging again, and expand the game with different options to choose from, RP servers with RP exclusive content, PvP servers where heroes and villains raid zones excluding atlas/mercy, AE disabled; to list a bunch. This is kind of approach empty’s my wallet, because it’s creative and it offers different ways of playing.

These kind of things are most important to me in any MMO

What does RP exclusive content look like? 

I understand (and like that they did it!) an "unofficial" RP server, as it allows people who want that type of content to be around other like-minded folks and those who don't to not be around it and possibly ruin it for anyone else, but what would dev created content look like?

Also, if you were on a server with AE disabled, wouldn't there be (presumably) a lower population as some people want some form of AE, and therefore the city would be empty? Not sure if the numbers would support that, but just offering a thought that maybe getting rid of it on a server might not have the intended result you might want. But hey- it could work! I ain't yucking anyone's yum for ideas, just a little devil's advocate. 

2 hours ago, Budo said:

What does RP exclusive content look like? 

I understand (and like that they did it!) an "unofficial" RP server, as it allows people who want that type of content to be around other like-minded folks and those who don't to not be around it and possibly ruin it for anyone else, but what would dev created content look like?

Also, if you were on a server with AE disabled, wouldn't there be (presumably) a lower population as some people want some form of AE, and therefore the city would be empty? Not sure if the numbers would support that, but just offering a thought that maybe getting rid of it on a server might not have the intended result you might want. But hey- it could work! I ain't yucking anyone's yum for ideas, just a little devil's advocate. 

Ah good questions, well I think RP content would be like, emotes that would be more like pretend than function, bars and indoor areas around the city to just hangout and chat. Like having a 5 man channel effect with pretty vivid colours and particles that set the mood.

the AE disabled, its complicated. It forces the community of that particular environment to have form. The challenge of finding tanks and healers, having to travel to destinations and appreciating the music entering regions. It’s the inconveniences, but it doesn’t work if others can use a feature that holds a hand. I play other games where hardcore users face restrictions and they want to not necessarily brag about their hard efforts, but to be able to be identified without having to say so. 

Hell, scratch the idea of having a separate server for having AE disabled. I’d prefer having a check mark on character creation stating this character hasn’t used a OP feature that makes the game to easy you don’t have to question he put effort progressing the game.

they could add a check mark for street cleaner and disabled missions. He/she could have a purple boarder around him so if you encounter one you would have a perfect ice breaking conversation. Eyyy level 40 no missions? You have no life.

it is an ego thing. It’s a motivator, but it’s not negative in any way.

Here's an ambitious idea. Lets just take Atlas City, replace Atlas with our Lord and savoir Recluse, tint the map evil and call it a day?

1 hour ago, ToZ said:

it is an ego thing. It’s a motivator, but it’s not negative in any way.

Yeah...  "stating this character hasn’t used a OP feature that makes the game to easy" and "You have no life.", those aren't negative at all.  (Narrator voice:  Yes, yes they are.)

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

For me, I'm mostly a story content player, so I'd look forward to more work on that aspect.

To be more concrete, while I certainly support the idea of new content (for all levels, and also specific ones for rogues and vigilantes) and a dynamic development of the world (instead of maintaining a story status quo), I'd love to see a reworking of the older story content, particularly blueside.

In my opinion, this would mostly mean updating older arcs by integrating some of the newer mechanics (dialogue in missions; choices in missions (with impact later on in the storyline/another storyline); more interesting/complex goals), but also spicing things up with the odd cutscene.

The old blueside storyarcs really do not compare all too favorably in comparison to Praetoria or the later storylines (e.g. the clones arcs, the newer turorial arcs). I'm not pleading for a merciless cut of content (I quite like the stories being told), but rather adapting it to be more enjoyable.

There's also a lot of room for improving the structuring of older arcs (so e.g. less "mission in zone A, in person meeting in zone B, mission in zone A"); again, blueside is particularly bad about this, but it's also present redside.

As a more original idea, it'd be interesting to integrate the alignment system a bit more into the existing arcs. If you implement choices in missions, some of those choices could then award an alignment point.

And maybe spice them up with some more accomplishment badges to make playing them more appealing.

• Like 2

The issue with cosmetic microtransactions in City of Heroes is that cosmetics are a huge deal in this game. They're the main reason to play for many people. Locking new and exciting cosmetic options behind paying real money would have a real negative effect on the game in a way that it doesn't in many other games with microtransaction costumes.

I do wonder how far they can go on donations. Homecoming currently has no issue at all reaching donation goals extremely quickly. If those goals were raised because they're now paying people to develop new content, would they still consistently reach those goals? If so, that seems like a great solution, but it might not last forever. But there are some great things funded primarily through services like Patreon, so maybe that could work for running a small MMO passion project like this?

---

As for what I want to see, I think everyone pretty much covered it. New costume pieces. New story arcs. New zones to explore. New power sets and archetypes. I'm not too invested in seeing incarnate stuff expanded but I wouldn't mind it.

• Like 1

I have been playing Masterminds for a while and a new powers that would be fun would be a Dungeons and Dragons powerset. Fighters or Barbarians as the the three meat heads, a rogue and Ranger for the second tier guys, and an arch-mage or something as the top tier. I've seen a bunch of people bring their DnD characters into CoH, so I thought this would be the next natural step.

Also, I would like to use hair with hoods.

Edited by I Ate A Republican

I feel like everything that I want has probably already been mentioned, but I would really like to make characters that are 10 feet tall, being able to make GM sized characters, expanding on the base editor to make full sized zones, a item limit in the base editor, more items to choose from, more NPC's to add such as Scientists, being able to tint more base items, ironing out the kinks in the base editor over all, a shoulder mounted tank cannon, more techy/robotic/power armor/armored type costume parts, a larger color palete, giving us at least the last 4 Incarnate Powers needed for a full 10, more end game content, more higher level zones, more permanent Incarnate Level Shifts, buffing Invul so that it's more possible to reach the soft cap on all damage resistance types or tweaking all defensive power sets so that it's easier to max out the damage resistance/defense types of each set.

I think that's all I have for now. I've been thinking for a while on what to include in my post. Thank you all for bringing this game back, thank you! :)

On 9/7/2019 at 10:13 AM, Jimmy said:

Hello everyone!

Today we have a simple question for everyone: What do you want to see out of a legitimate, licensed City of Heroes server?

As a caveat, this thread is not a Q&A and we won’t be answering questions here. We’re primarily looking to gather everyone’s thoughts and feedback about what they’d like to see from us going forward - both operationally and for the game itself!

- The Homecoming Team

Keep doing what you're already doing, except maybe give us some new missions and rework some of the old content nobody plays. You're doing great on the powers front, giving people lots of reason to make new characters, but we could use more attractive content to run them through. Maybe also look into putting a coat of polish onto outdated systems, assets, etc, and the hack-ish stuff like the P2W vendor.

I'd love to see some of the more interesting old missions get remade, and maybe even convert their finales into small TFs and trials. Adjust the structure, rewards, polish, etc, to try and get players to go out into the hollows or run some mission arcs in Faultline like old times. I'd love to see all of Faultline uplifted into the late 20s and/or 30s, we're lacking content there and much of the difficulty in that area is closer to 20s and early 30s anyway.

I'd also suggest taking a long hard look at Redside and Praetoria, but I have no idea how you'd even start with those. I don't have enough experience with gold side, but I honestly struggle to tell you what's wrong with Redside other than the early game being way more brutal and Grandville kinda sucking in general.

I would vote for no microtransactions of any kind, ever. Subscription only, all items earned in-game.

I also like the idea mentioned above of a no-AE server, or at least a server where AE XP is disabled.

Maybe revamp the look of the Rogue Isles a bit? The missions there are fabulous, but the zones are horrible.

MORE THAN ANYTHING: What I would really love to see is a new fantasy MMO that uses the CoH engine and general character-building framework. You know, like wizards and knights instead of superheroes. I know it would take a lot of new art assets and such, but it's an idea for down the road after you've made some sweet, sweet subscription money.

This is just a thought:

-reduce cooldown time on jump kick from leaping pool

-make ninja run and beast run a flat replacement for sprint so that they don't power off when you have toggles like Combat Jumping or something on.  Some characters use those sprints to maintain a theme and have to toggle them off when using defensive toggles that also alter mobility.  I'm not sure how this could be done in a balanced way, but it's a thought.

-open up costume options to allow for asymmetry in gloves and wearing robes, etc with robotic arms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CabooseCC said:

-make ninja run and beast run a flat replacement for sprint so that they don't power off when you have toggles like Combat Jumping or something on.  Some characters use those sprints to maintain a theme and have to toggle them off when using defensive toggles that also alter mobility.  I'm not sure how this could be done in a balanced way, but it's a thought.

I wonder if they could use the power customization system for this. You can customize the animations for a lot of powers--maybe they could add animation customization for the Sprint power that could let you use the ninja/beast run poses?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harrow said:

I wonder if they could use the power customization system for this. You can customize the animations for a lot of powers--maybe they could add animation customization for the Sprint power that could let you use the ninja/beast run poses?

That would be a great solution.

See also fly poses.

4 hours ago, Harrow said:

1 hour ago, EggKookoo said:

That would be a great solution.

See also fly poses.

For my werewolf who uses beast run in wolf form and ninja run/regular sprint in human form, I gotta object As A Roleplayer 😅

I do like the idea of being able to alter the flypose without emotes.

Edited by MisterBernie
edit for spelling

2 hours ago, MisterBernie said:

For my werewolf who uses beast run in wolf form and ninja run/regular sprint in human form, I gotta object As A Roleplayer 😅

I do like the idea of being able to alter the flypose without emotes.

I'm not sure I'm following this objection. Wouldn't you set the beast run for your werewolf form costume slot and the other run for your human form costume slot?

• Thanks 1

Ok so I saw the new announcement and new items that're en route. Another idea I'd like to pitch: Power Armour! I know we have lots of powers that could be made into a power armour type character but there are a few things that're in game that would be great to play.

-This PA set could contain the electric AoE attack like the newer Clocks have

-The grenade/bomb launcher as seen in Freakshow bosses

-Missile launch AoE - same animations that you see in various NPC items such as the Arachnos flyer (love that animation where missiles fire and have that somewhat indirect smoke trail to the target!)

-a gattling gun type item with various animations (Champions online had one that would work its way up and set up on the toon's shoulder).

-have options on where you want to launch some of the weapons (ex. missiles from the chest or pop-up shoulder launchers etc)

-laser beams (firing location options: hand(s), eyes, chest etc)

-an energy sword or built in metallic sword etc

-armor upgrade

-Nuke tier 9 power (missile, bomb, etc)

-analyzer (yes, we have it, I know)

-the list could easily go on....

Yes, we have a lot of that and much of it is with the Vill Epic but it is possible to develop something different and not tied to Arachnos in any way. Maybe this set would be an easy add?

4 hours ago, EggKookoo said:

I'm not sure I'm following this objection. Wouldn't you set the beast run for your werewolf form costume slot and the other run for your human form costume slot?

R I G H T. Sorry, I haven’t used power costumisation per costume before/didn’t quite realize that existed. So that’d actually be more convenient 😀

• Like 1

I'd love to see an update that doesn't restrict duplicate names. The one thing I thought Champions Online did that I wished CoX had done was this. When you made a character their actual name was <character name>@<account name> but only <character name> would be visible in the world. When adding someone to a friend list or whispering them would their full name be visible.

More creative travel power forms that work for characters with natural themes. I'd particularly love to see a flight form that is my character hanging out of an apache helicopter.

• Like 1